It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy of Eggs!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Dorian Soran

ever hear of mystic synchronicity? I think I have that right. I just started looking into it. Loosely mirrors some of what you are telling me.
I think as time goes on, we will have to use our ol' noggins for something besides a hatrack.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jameswillard

I have never heard of that. I will have to look into it some more.

How many neighbors do you have in your apartment complex?

Do you have a good relationship with them all?

You should consider getting with them, forming a buying coalition and contact farms in the area to see about a purchase/deliver program.

If enough people can get involved you should be able to do alright ( or at least better ).

Dorian Soran

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

It's a pretty sizable complex, but I don't know that many of my neighbors. People here are kind of clannish, except for the neighbor that referred me here.
Glad I got to know her. We think alike. Maybe we can get others involved.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If you purchase a dozen eggs not only do you have to pay for a dozen eggs, but also shipping of those eggs.

Now if 20 neigbors buy a dozen eggs ( or 2 would be better ) right from the farmer ( if they will deliver ) and maybe some sweet corn and cabage to boot, or fresh tomatoes now that shipping cost is devided between 20 people and 4 or 5 comodities instead of shipping each one separately.

It may be worth your time to set something like this up.

Nothing will bring neighbors together like saving money.

Dorian Soran

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

By cracky! You just might be onto something.
Kind of like a farmer's market on a smaller scale. Maybe a neighbor's market? I like it. Thanks.
Definitely put you on my list of friends.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by jameswillard]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
We do something very similar in our area ( we are on the farmer end of it so to speak ).

You don't need 1000 people or 100K a year turn-a-round for a grower to be interested in making a bit of a truck-trek to ship goods.

I, as a small-time grower, LOVE it when I can make a connection with someone who needs and will ENJOY what I have produced. Look around and ask around your area.

Remember you are a human being with desirable traits and talents that I may not have. Don't be afraid to trade out some of your talents for home grown food / commodities.

A growers market is good.....but

BARTER is BEST.

Dorian Soran

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

You know, with things as they are, and this worthless money system of ours, it just might behoove us to go back to ye ole barter syste. I believe it's non-taxable.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I have a friend that rents his land to gardeners. Yep, he gardens some himself, but has a lot more space than he can ever use for just two people. Well, turns out, several relatives and their neighbors who live in the city wanted him to sell produce to them, but he didn't want the extra work, as he is retired. So instead, he rents them garden space.

Now as a working suggestion, you could get five or six neighbors in on the idea of gardening. If each of you put in five bucks a month, I'll bet some local would rent you a good sized spot. The money would more than pay for the taxes on the ground, and the owner would be out nothing on an otherwise unused piece of ground.

You might even find a vacant lot within walking distance of your apartments. Agree to pay the taxes on it for the years you used it, and then let interested neighbors pay you in cash or food for working it.

Solutions require thinking outside the normal "pay-at-the-store" concept.

Edit to add: For any conspiracy, there is a counter-conspiracy available.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
My neighbor/friend was right about you folks.
You are the smartest people on the planet. I've gotten some really good ideas here. More than I could have hoped for.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Now that is also a great idea. i see i will need to start making notes. ha.
I can see why you were elected moderator. Good thinking. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Btw,
I almost forgot to mention that my neighbor went to the market this morning and got a dozen of those eggs, just to see if it was ust one dozen like that.
Hers was the same way. All small. And there were no small-sized egg selections offered for sale.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

In the UK a dozen eggs costs on average £2.00 ($4.00) per dozen. In fact, most things are at least two or three times more expensive over here, even though UK and US salaries and pensions are roughly the same.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
well, well, a conspiracy of eggs. WOW!

where i'm from (Philippines) we pay $4.3623 USD for a box/carton of these (30 eggs), as each individual egg currently retails for PhP 6.00 (Philippine Peso).

6 Philippine Peso = 0.14541 US Dollar
x
30 eggs per carton
---------
4.3623 USD per carton

currency conversion sourced from Oanda.com

have a good day and welcome to ATS

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Wow, you still have it pretty cheap for eggs there at just under $2.00, here in Canada we're paying between $3.00 and $5.00 per dozen depending on type (free range & grain fed)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I shop at Save-a-lot, most likely the worst supermarket ever. All the food is junk, but its cheap. i bought a dozen large eggs for $1.89 up from $1.19 a few months ago. crackers $1.19 up from .99 cents and so on. my $40 dollars doesnt get me nearly what it used to.....

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Dang! I wish you lived near me......I have 6 hens......I get 6 (med to large ) brown eggs a day, but they seem to add up faster than we can eat them.
( supposed to be cutting back on the cholesterol, ya know) I have about 6 or 7 doz. in the fridge now.

I've pushed them on neighbors and friends, and used them in pound cakes ( 5 eggs ea.) and chess pies ( 3 eggs ea.).....still they add up. Now I'm trying to get the 'girls' to set so I can hopefully put some fryers in the freezer!

And you're right about the groc. repackaging .....they do it to extend eggs past the freshness date too.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I have definitely noticed grocery staple prices going up - to my knowledge there's no egg shortage in the US. We're not using eggs as a alternative fuel or anything. Chickens have not gone on strike. The only "egg"plaination (sorry- had to) is that the rise in fuel prices has, of course, made the price of all good go up. I remember 89¢ eggs not too long ago, too (as well as 95¢/gallon gas).

As for the "large" eggs actually being smaller, while I don't think I've noticed a change in the size categories, I'm not surprised.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I wrote this just this morning for a newsletter I publish to friends.
(all .gov source and wall street sources)
FOOD FOR THOUGHT….no pun intended.

Here I am bored. So I thought, why not figure out just how whacky things have been lately. All of this information comes from .gov sources, or reliable trade sources.

Exxon Mobil profits 2001=11.4 billion

Exxon Mobil profits 2007=40.6 billion

A 356% INCREASE IN PROFITS

(Consumer spending power when calculating inflation)

1st Qt. 2001 vs. 4th Qt. 2007

-28.6%

1 Gallon of Whole Milk

Since 2001

27% price gain

1 Gallon of Gas

Since Jan. 2001

235%

1 Dozen Medium Eggs

Since Jan 2005

357%

1 lb of Rice

Since Jan 2001

257%

1 lb of high grade hops

Since August 2007

As high as 1000%

1 bushel Corn

Since Jan 2001

232%

1 bushel Soybeans

Since Jan 2001

231%

Profits surge to 40-year high

When will corporations spend some of their hoard?

March 30, 2006 (a little dated, but you get the idea)

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- U.S. corporate profits have increased 21.3% in the past year and now account for the largest share of national income in 40 years, the Commerce Department said Thursday.

Meanwhile, the share of national income going to wage and salary workers has fallen to 56.9%. Except for a brief period in 1997, that's the lowest share for labor income since 1966.

Profits have been so high because almost all of the benefits from productivity improvements are flowing to the owners of capital rather than to the workers.

While profits are up 21.3% in the past year, labor compensation is up just 5.5%. After adjusting for inflation, population growth and taxes, real disposable per capita incomes are up just 0.5% in the past year.

Seems like a fleecing to me......

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Question to the original poster, sorry if I missed the answer while skimming through the other replies - do you live in a part of the country that has to ship a lot of its produce and dairy? Or are you close to a rural distributor of these goods? That, too, might also go towards explaining, but not justifying, the eggy problem.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Sounds like you need to do what I did.Order you some chicks from Crows poultry in missouri.(they send the chicks thru the mail)Save the pullets and one rooster.Slaughter the other roosters for chicken and dumplins.
Seriously you can keep three or four hens in a small area and they will eat just about anything you feed them. Four hens will average two eggs a day,so you can adjust your flock accordingly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join