It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy of Eggs!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Good morning everybody! I just joined this website at the encouragement of my neighbor. Don't guess that names are important. I was telling her about a recent trip to the grocery store and she said that I should post it and see if anyone else had likewise experiences.

We all know that grocery prices have gone sky-high as well as the price of gasoline. Don't think anyone can deny that. I was going through the aisles, doing my usual protesting over the prices, when I got to the egg department. My eyes nearly bugged out. The price was $1.79 for medium eggs. It was $1.99 for large. You see, I have to price shop because of my age staus and being on social security income. I see right away that these prices will not fit in my budget. Seems like it wasn't so long ago that I was paying 89 cents a dozen for large eggs. So, I started looking for small sized eggs, in hopes that they will be cheaper.

Guess what? There are no small eggs. It took everything I had in me, to finally place a carton of medium-sized eggs in my basket. If you are wondering what my point is here other than to gripe over the high cost of groceries, I am getting to that.

The next morning I open the carton to fix myself some breakfast. Guess what? These are not medium sized eggs. They are small eggs. I know my eggs. What gives here?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
In past years, I've seen retailers reduce amounts of products and sell them for the same price. Example: 16 oz. can of beans reduced to 12 oz. can of beans for same price. But to pass off small eggs as medium eggs; Is this fair trade practices?
Has anyone else noticed this, or is this just a locale thing?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
At the dollar store, where I used to shop until I got the food that supposed to go to the food bank on Sundays, because it's closed on Sundays, about 2-3 months ago a carton of 12 small-medium eggs cost $1.00. Now, they split the carton into two small ones of 6-eggs each, and sell each one for $1.

In the U.S. the Fed under the influence of the bank of England -- who together own most of the oil in the western world ... well, they don't really own it, they BROKER it -- have raised gasoline prices so much that food prices are rocketing; grains are getting scarer in the americans because they're being used for gasahol

...and besides, if you eat eggs with antibiotics and growth hormones it produces cancer which is why you have to buy eggs that are certified antibiotic-free and no growth hormones.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by counterterrorist

Thank you for that information my friend. Sizzle has been trying to tell me about these things. And yes I saw those half-dozen cartons of eggs fro 99 cents. But realistically, that wouldn't do me any good. it would just mean more trips to the grocery. We folks aren't as dumb as they hope we are.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jameswillard

not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but I wonder if this means the end of the small-sized eggs. In my opinion, they were only really good for a few cents price savings, anyway. But when you are on a tight budget, every cent can count. If there are very many seniors on this board, they will know what I mean.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I know whenever I'm broke I shell out on a day rider bus ticket so I can visit several shops to get my shopping in, takes ages but if I plan it right I get tons of stuff done on the way round - and filling up my big 85 litre bhurgan can be the best exercise I get all month. I notice where prices flux one way in some stores they don't in others - or the trend is totally different, but then I don't shop this way enough to have a really clear picture.

As regards the eggs, I try to get big 18 or 24 boxes of mixed size, they are the cheapest and quite often really good quality, of course have a root round the shelf for the best use by date - throwing food out is a big waste of money.

And if I'm really broke I stick my head in the back door of a few place's I've worked before, see if a friendly face will feed me!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I suppose I best explain this locale where I live. It is in west Texas. It is a very small town with no bus services. No taxi services. Nada, Nada.
There is one grocery store. Super S. They are a monopoly and they know it.
Even buying in bulk sizes as you suggest, has no bearing. It comes out the same.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jameswillard

Oh right, yhea that's a totally different situation! - I'm in Plymouth UK, I know the whole place like the back of my hand as I've live here 2/3rds of my life - and during adult years in all sorts of temp rented accom, half the time not able to afford to keep a motorbike running I know all the buses too.

Would keeping a dozen chickens be an option? - mind you 12 chickens would only last me 12 weeks! One roasted each Sunday
I'm more of an immediate reward kinda guy!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Ha ha,
you're funny. I like you already. No, chickens would be out of the question. As I live in an apartment situation. My friend and I have gotten together on doing some inside gardening to off-set our grocery prices.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I haven't really noticed any price problems with eggs despite myself working at a grocery store, I did notice the deal about companies selling products but reducing the size of the can or box.

As for eggs my mom buys them from a nearby egg farm, which is often busy, but well worth the price for 2 or 3 dozen.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypr2008
I haven't really noticed any price problems with eggs despite myself working at a grocery store, I did notice the deal about companies selling products but reducing the size of the can or box.

As for eggs my mom buys them from a nearby egg farm, which is often busy, but well worth the price for 2 or 3 dozen.

Thank you for your sugestions. That would be a great alternative, if i knew of any or had my own transportation. I have to pay a neighbor just run me to the local grocery.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Check out Angel Food Ministries.

They have some great deals!!!
you have to find a local church affiliate and pay there and pick up your order.
Or, if it's easier, call;
1-877-FOOD-MINISTRY.
Many blessings to you!

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well our neighbors used to sell eggs, then we would go to a nearby poultry farm that sells eggs, and we know they are better than the ones you would get at a grocer.

My late grandmother on my dads side wouldn't even eat a white egg , she somehow knew it was a white egg after it was cracked and prepared and everything. She lived I believe to about 95 or 96 years old.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Hi there and welcome to ATS,

you may be interested in this

www.google.co.uk...

here in the UK prices have shot up, and the fact that battery farming has been pretty much wiped out because of campaigns by celeb chefs !! has pushed it up even higher. Also the price of chickens has risen from £5 UK pounds for two , to around £5 each .

i have spoken to a few friends from around the world and most of them are the same,

the problem is made worse for people like yourself who live in a remote one store town ! ! ( no offense intended) those shops know they have you and that they can charge more without a problem.

self-sufficency is the best option ..

And remember ...all those products that contain eggs will rise too, unfortunatly they also tend to be the same things that contain flour as well !! In Europe flour has almost tripled in cost in the last 15 years

take care

snoopyuk

[edit on 8-4-2008 by snoopyuk]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

I have found that to be more than true, And what is worse is that whenever the gov gives me a cost of living increase, each year; for example, it was approximately $8.00 this year. They took $8.00 off of my food stamps, because of my increase in income.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
yes that is the same situ here too, They give in one hand and take away in the other.

i have added you as a friend, look forward to seeing you around the boards, it is a very friendly place.

take care

snoopyuk

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I call this the 'great candy-bar conspiracy'. You see, I remember when I was young and candy bars were cheap. For a dime, you could get a good sized bar. Then the price went up to 15 cents, and people weren't buying as many candy bars. So instead of raising the price again, the evil chocolate conglomerates (I mean YOU, Nestle and Hershey!) made the bars smaller. It seemed as though nobody noticed, and no one seemed to care when I would point it out. They still got their candy bar for 15 cents, even if it wasn't a whole bar.

Now they're doing it with eggs. They have been trying to do it with cars for a long time. Ever try to sit in one of those mini-sub-compacts? My head hits the roof! My knees are scrunched up in some sort of perverted fetal position. I can't feel my feet. Oh, and isn't it coincidental that they started making sunroofs on more cars around this time? That's so I can stick my head through it and see where I'm going!

Ever notice those TV dinners in the stores? I used to eat those occasionally. I could eat one and be happy. Now I get this microscopic tray with a few molecules of something they call Salisbury steak. It takes 5 of them to make a meal.

What about cereal? A box of cereal is half the size it used to be, and costs five times as much. For crying out loud, I can't even find a blanket now that is as long as I am (6'-2")... they are all 'super-sized' to be 5 feet long!

The only thing that's not getting smaller is me. This is the most insidious plot ever to befall mankind. Make them do with less! Wean the people off the things they enjoy. Well, no longer. I'm getting a chicken house, and I'm feeding the chickens growth hormones. If that doesn't work, I'll buy ostriches! I want a 1970 Chrysler Imperial, 30 feet long with a trunk larger than the average swimming pools at WalMart! I'm widening my driveway so I can accommodate truck deliveries. I'll need them when I begin buying true bulk... tons of beans, not some silly little 1/2 lb bag. And I'm gonna grow my own cacao beans, and make my own chocolate bars... 5 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 6 inches thick! Ha!

Wait, I just realized I'm out of cigarettes...

*flick*

*puff*

*puff, puff*

*exhale*

[/incoherent ranting]

Ahhh, that's better.

Seriously, I have noticed this and was going to mention it. You beat me to it. And in the long run, the best thing to do is probably to grow our own or buy from someone who does. Downsizing is raising prices without changing the tag. It works because people don't take the time to see what's going on around them.

TheRedneck

P.S: Welcome. A great thread and I look forward to seeing more of you around.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk
yes that is the same situ here too, They give in one hand and take away in the other.

i have added you as a friend, look forward to seeing you around the boards, it is a very friendly place.

take care

snoopyuk

Makes you wonder where it will all end. Maybe this is how they intend to get rid of us. Starve us out. I added you as friend also. Thanks, friend.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Ha Ha,
You noticed those things too, huh? Guess I'm not imagining things then.
Good ideas you have there. Ha ha.
My neighbor and I are working on some ideas. We heard that there is some talk that they are going to be reducing all vitamin content out of food by 2010. We're going to be ready.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It’s funny how things happen to us.

First wife:

We used buy enough to make meals for just the 2 of us at a time, if we didn’t eat it all we would just throw it in the garbage. I lived in the city ( I grew up on a farm ) and never grew anything myself – even though I had the knowledge and background.

Second wife:

I am remarried, making twice what I was just 6 years ago but the money wasn’t buying what it used to, so my wife and I ( luckily we bought land in the country ) started raising our own beef, have a few chickens around, grow a large garden, we have a few mini goats around to knock down grass / weeds on the banks ( less gas for a weed eater / lawn mower ) and if we have any scraps of food to throw away they ( the goats ) will eat most anything ( within reason ). We can hunt deer on our land to add more meat to the freezer and fishing is always an option. We have horses for recreation and I drive to a big city everyday for work as a software engineer. City wages and country living.

It’s not perfect but it’s what we can do to help shed our dependence on others.

I wish you luck in your venture to better your situation.

Dorian Soran

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join