It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help me ID this aircraft?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
And there is no way that a plane could mount a gondola that big. Between ground clearance, weight, and drag, it would SIGNIFICANTLY cut the range and speed down to almost useless. We replaced our C-135s with a Gulfstream IV, standard airplane had great range, could fly from Hawaii to Andrews without stopping, or with one stop after flying most of the way, depending on winds. By the time we were done putting communications gear on for the Navy Admiral that flew on it, the range was cut so badly that it had to stop in California to refuel on the way to Andrews. And that was all INTERNAL equipment.

ANYTHING put on the outside of the plane causes drag. Drag causes all kinds of problems if it's bad enough. A gondola like this would cause MAJOR problems.

The only plane I know of that had a fairing you might have been able to walk around in was a specially modified 767 that had a fairing on top that carried two telescopes, and it had other structural modifications to it that helped it fly right. And the range on it was horrible.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miss_Murphy
Anyway, a lot of very strange things started happening after I saw this aircraft, and I was hoping someone could identify it for me. I've asked on a few forums but no luck yet.

Alright, you've already contradicted yourself a few times, and the "top hat" guy was the icing on the cake.

I'm wondering... What were the "strange things" that happened to you after you "saw" this aircraft? Did nice men in white coats take you to a special place for some rest?

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Actually the closest thing I can think of from PSA airlines. They had the optional lower deck lounge in some of thier L-1011's in the 1970's. Equipped a/c were identifiable by the bulge just aft of the from landing gear.

www.jetpsa.com...

and

www.jetpsa.com...

But it was not that huge adn did not have windows If I reall correctly.

There is simply NO way an a/c can have that large of a gondola and stay up (Or at least have any sort of meaningfull range) Maybe a blimp

[edit on 4/5/08 by FredT]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
i guess Miss_Murphy saw something along these lines:

Strato-Cruiser

Manned Cloud

the only problem i see with this hypothesis is that the two examples i have mentioned above are still only concepts for the moment. does anyone know of any blimp(like) prototypes being currently flown?

[edit on 4.5.08 by toreishi]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

IIRC those just used the cargo holds, and converted them to lounges. Other than the bit behind the nose gear they looked exactly like regular L1011s. I don't recall those having any kind of windows either.

[edit on 4/5/2008 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Correct the FAA required the bulge for crash issues or something. I don't have my references here at work. But hey it was the go go 70's

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
scan the images so we can see them!!, then we'll prove/disprove/ clarify what you saw

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbianchi513

Originally posted by Miss_Murphy
Anyway, a lot of very strange things started happening after I saw this aircraft, and I was hoping someone could identify it for me. I've asked on a few forums but no luck yet.

Alright, you've already contradicted yourself a few times, and the "top hat" guy was the icing on the cake.

I'm wondering... What were the "strange things" that happened to you after you "saw" this aircraft? Did nice men in white coats take you to a special place for some rest?

I have not contradicted myself. I stand by everything I've said.

But yes, this was the beginning of a series of bizarre events...so I've often wondered if it was somehow related.

As far as the man in the top hat? Google it and see how many people have seen him recently. You'll find people talking about him not only on paranormal forums, but other types of forums as well.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Miss_Murphy

I google'd it, and here is one of the fine items I found:
en.wikipedia.org...(comics)

Is this the shadowman in a top hat you refer to?

Enjoy your meds!

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I google'd it, and here is one of the fine items I found:
en.wikipedia.org...(comics)

Is this the shadowman in a top hat you refer to?

Wike has an article about the phenomena at en.wikipedia.org...

There are also photographs of him/them on the net.

[edit on 5-4-2008 by Miss_Murphy]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...
Quote from wikipedia:
Chemical agents
The use of narcotics and psychotropic agents, including methamphetamine, coc aine, and '___', can produce shadow human shaped hallucinations. Dopaminergic drugs such as pramipexole can sometimes cause these hallucinations.[10] Common over-the-counter medication can also have a similar effect if taken in sufficient quantity (see diphenhydramine and pseudoephedrine).

Any of this sounding familiar?

What about the airplane? Give up on that?

Start a new thread for the hat man... There's others that believe in here. I'm not one of those folks. I feel the above paragraph (from your wiki link) spells it all out quite nicely.

[edit on 5/4/08 by cbianchi513]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Umm, yes, you did contradict yourself, and regarding the most important part of the story. Surely we can close the thread? There are so many implausibilities and impossibilities that it really isn't worth the bandwidth drain.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willard856
Umm, yes, you did contradict yourself, and regarding the most important part of the story.

No, I did not contradict myself. Look at what I wrote:

The "pod" looked very similar to the gondola (I think that is what it is called) on a Blimp. Windows? Yes, large ones...which is why we were able to see the activity and persons inside. As for the normal a/c part, I don't know if it had windows or not.

Clearly I was referring to the gondola when I stated that there were large windows.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...
Quote from wikipedia:
Chemical agents
The use of narcotics and psychotropic agents, including methamphetamine, coc aine, and '___', can produce shadow human shaped hallucinations. Dopaminergic drugs such as pramipexole can sometimes cause these hallucinations.[10] Common over-the-counter medication can also have a similar effect if taken in sufficient quantity (see diphenhydramine and pseudoephedrine).

Any of this sounding familiar?

[edit on 5/4/08 by cbianchi513]

Scientists were also able to reproduce the shadow person phenomena by electrically stimulating certain portions of a person's brain. www.cosmosmagazine.com...

Which is interesting, but it doesn't explain how groups of people see him/them...much less how he/they are photographed.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Wow what a fine example of civility and decorum on a forum supposedly centered around the words "Deny Ignorance". For christs sakes, people, cut murphy some slack.

Miss_murphy, is there any way you might have miss-seen something, any way some optical lines could have merged, is there any way what you saw might not have been what was there? Was the gondola streamlined or was it just like a spherical pod??

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Irrespective of what has been said thus far, what would be the purpose of this craft? Certainly not government! Public - doubtful; Pleasure craft - men in black on holiday?

Look everyone - not only are we dressed in black, but our undercarriage room is extremely lit up also, so that civilians can see us from 1000 ft away!

I'm sorry, but this defys logic. Why are people who are seen wearing black in a well lit room showing itself to the public below? If they wore white they would probably be camoflaged - lol.

Does the firing of fireworks with a glass-bottomed plane flying overhead not give the whole thing up?

Sorry Miss Murphy.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
As a new member I'll be as discrete as possible. I have no knowledge of any such aircraft nor can I imagine the need/use for one.
The weight and drag penalties alone would mitigate a gondola of that size on a conventional aircraft. However, a lighter than air craft may be possible.
If it is a sinister craft I would enclose the equipment and personnel inside the fuselage (even ignoring drag penalties for a gondola). You could infact do this with a blimp as well with your fairings and aerials below the dirigible .
In order for you to be close enough to notice the uniform of the personnel you would have to be relatively close. At any similar distance, I would assume a conventional aircraft would be relatively loud not quiet as you state. Even a dirigible can be quite loud when directly overhead and not "coasting".
Your inability to remember whether it had straight or swept wings combined with the above leads me to question if you have not infact seen a dirigible.
Further, as it occurred on a holiday, I would say the dirigible theory gains even more strength. The Ameriquest Airshp (a SKYSHIP 600) was in Houston that week in 2004 for the festivities in Houston (included the baseball All-Star game shortly afterward). Fireworks hint that it occurred at night. At night, if the cabin was lit but not the blimp itself, you might have been able to see the people inside it and catch a glimpse of the tail stabilizers.The front of the gondola has windows that extend almost floor to ground. There are several side windows to the gondola.

So at night, low enough for you to see the people inside with detail, it could pass horizon to horizon quickly. A sky ship cruises at 40-65 mph, which is enough to be surprisingly fast if you consider it being close enough to see people and equipment inside. Were there trees or houses to further decrease the horizon? If so the speed needed would become even slower. Trying to guess distance at night is near impossible especially for an object of unknown size. 1000 feet is too far away to notice details as you described.

So I'd guess the aircraft you described was the blimp

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackWidow23

Miss_murphy, is there any way you might have miss-seen something, any way some optical lines could have merged, is there any way what you saw might not have been what was there? Was the gondola streamlined or was it just like a spherical pod??

Anything is possible, and I believe that I would have chalked it up to misremembering if the two boys had not seen the same thing that I did.

Speaking of the two neighbor boys, they've moved from the area (as have we) but they began to have paranormal experiences after this also. They've seen the man in the top hat and orbs flying in patterns (ufo?).

That may well be a coincidence, because a lot of people are seeing strange things these days, but I do wonder.

As to the exact shape of the pod, I'm afraid I don't remember. I think it was basically a rectangle with rounded edges.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

"Anyway, a lot of very strange things started happening after I saw this aircraft"

Like what exactly?

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by toasted

"Anyway, a lot of very strange things started happening after I saw this aircraft"

Like what exactly?

Like things that are not pertinent to this thread. Like orbs and Marion Visions (I'm not Catholic) and shadow men in top hats...oh my.

My understanding is that one should place topics in their appropriate threads.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join