It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: Drugs show up in Americans' Water

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberTruth
Recycled human and animal waste in the water - not likely -

Pharmaceutical company waste and possible population and mind control experiments - that i can believe.

Actually, affluent water being pumped back into the aquifer is a mainstay of most municipal treatment plans.

People don't want to hear about how their feces is in their water. Well, when treatment plants put treated water into above ground ponds that water eventually percolates into the aquifer or ground water.

You'd really be surprised what is actually in your water, trust me on this one.

water

Type in 'affluent water' in google or ask your local town water treatment plant if they recycle water.

They do, guaranteed.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I could have sworn I read that each city seemed to have one drug that was spiked higher than the others.

If it was just recycled water, wouldn't those levels be fairly consistant? We'd be seeing a ton of different drugs, all mixed together, along with a lot of other stuff.

Am I wrong about that? I'm not an expert on water, or affluent water as you called it.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Talk about conspiracies!

First of all, i'd like to complain formally that my drug of choice isnt on the list.

Here they are telling us that those "Fat Fastfood " establishments are making us obese. Bull crap. To this i say, its a hellof a lot cheaper to drive through, or bycicle through McDonalds and get a $1.00 burger twice a day, 14 times a week, its only $14.00. Other than the fact that nobody can stomach that many burgers, this whole movement on FAT food places is so that you will go to your supermarket and buy ingredients to make yourself a healthy meal. Sounds like its for our own good, right?
I have a family of 2 and when i go to the Supemarket to buy some semblance of something healthy, I can buy $150.00/week and i bring home CRAP. That's right, i let my hair down tonight.
We are not big eaters, and yet the last two days of the week we are scrounging around looking for something we swore we bought, or should have bought with such a high bill.

NOW THE WATER:

Simple: They want you to buy the bogus bottled water which many studies have been done which come out of the TAP in the first place.

They come in plain bottles (ugh) they come in sports bottle (same #) they come in flavors, they come from FIJI ( Now, there's one that must be laced with gold for the price they want), i guess the only remedy is to go fancy and get the PUR systems for the faucet, and God knows what carcinogens that has!

So, to make a long rant shorter, i do drink tap water and never quite feel good. I swear i will sue the water department (everything can be done) if my chest gets larger, i WILL KNOW its their crap, i will hit them with them being the reason for my knees hurting on account of their water, i will take a whole battery of tests and i will win my case.

Ironic how they say DONT SMOKE: ITS BAD FOR YOU, yet we are getting poisoned with the very water that God put on this Earth for us to survive.

/

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
[saracasm] I think this is a plot created by the bottled-water companies to help restore recent decline in sales....[/end sarcasm]

One thing is for sure, I'm going to start boiling my water (break the molecular structure of the hormones or drugs) or drink more bottle water a lot more often. I don't to involuntary consume any pharmaceuticals drugs or medicine. That cocktail will certainly have long-term effect on me and everybody who drinks it. I mean heck I'm already breathing in polluted air, now I have to worry about what I drink. Whats next what I eat? (lol already worry about that)

But seriously, that sucks.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I'm really sort of suprised that no one on here has already posted this, and maybe procedure has changed in the 15 years I've been out of the health care field, but I distinctly remember being asked to accompany a pharmacist into the bathroom at the nursing home I worked at so that I could witness them "destroying" the out of date drugs, as well as those of residents who where deceased. The method of destruction was...you guessed it, flushing it down the toilet. Now, given that people are told to flush out of date over the counter meds, and all the out of date narcotics that hospitals, nursing homes, etc must be pouring into the water system, I'm suprised this issue didn't come up years ago. In fact, I remember thinking then that someday we were probably going to be really sorry we were doing that. Just my two cents.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by staver

I worked at CVS and the procedure there was to send all drugs back to the manufacturers.Who the heck knows what the manufacturers do with the old stuff? That i dont know. I know this because it was one of my jobs.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I am so glad that you decided to post about the pharmaceuticals being found in the water. It is very disturbing. An unnatural evolution could occur if immediate proper steps to correcting this problem are not put into action. There must be a way to eliminate drugs from our water in order to protect ourselves, other human beings, and our environment.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by seabee83

Already water treatment plants attempt to remove impurities but there is not and will never be a perfect solution.

apc

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

A sex hormone was detected in San Francisco's drinking water.

That is too funny.

I've been considering switching again because ever since I started drinking tap water a few months ago my cat has been having urinary and other seemingly unrelated medical problems. I used to get bottled RO but I'm going to go ahead and start getting spring water delivered after reading about this. I knew the water was crap and I don't like drinking flouride, but now I know why the walls start to breathe after I chug a glass.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
"have been found in the drinking water supplies"

Which are then filtered if I understand that wording correctly..

We had a very similar debate and headlines in our country - we had a water shortage so sourced water from a river a few hundred K away, which had all sorts of the same junk in it including hormones and all the rest. We then set out to put it through one of the most advanced filtration methods/systems in the world and it tested out to be as good as any other pure water source, with none of that rubbish left in it afterwards.

It's the same in London - they find nice coc aine readings in the thames because of all the crackheads! Where humans consume drugs (pharmac/underground drugs) and it gets back into the water table etc that's what you will find... it can usually be filtered out.

"Officials in Philadelphia said testing there discovered 56 pharmaceuticals or byproducts in treated drinking water, including medicines for pain, infection, high cholesterol,"
(quote from USA today article linked previously).

If that's the case then you need more filtration, or if not available another souce then. That shouldn't happen if the right process is in place. I'd be petitioning local authorities for an investigation and ACTION to correct that problem. You can eventually get things out of water.. it just takes time.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Apparently the PUR water filters don't remove flouride

I was kinda hoping that the uber-expensive filters I was buying for my pitcher in my fridge were giving me PURE water from PUR. Apparently, not the case.

Thank GOD I was raised on well water.

I think I can actually tell a difference in the mentality of "well-water people" and "city water people" now that I think about it. People in large metro areas seem to act much more like cows/sheep. They tend to be very herd-like and open to others suggestions.

Apparently, Alex Jones claims that he has all these studies that show his IQ could have been 20 points higher without the flouride in his water. From what I have been able to ascertain, the only large-scale studies involving flouride were in China--with dubious scientific controls.

But, news articles like this make me pause. Perhaps our water is bad...but then again, look at who is telling us it's "bad"? Why would they want us think that? Dis-info or perhaps scare-mongering?

I dunno, the more I think the more conspiracies inside of conspiracies I see.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
forgive me if someone else already posted this.

i remember reading an article in "wired" and it talked about the very same thing, though i believe the water supply was in europe.

but the bottom line is this: given the nature of the healthcare industry and how pharmaceutical companies work with doctors to give out "samples" to their patients and how people accumulate meds over time, it's no wonder that we have noticeable levels of "drugs" in our water. people were always told to dispose of old meds by flushing them.

now the new way to dispose of them is to mix it with used kitty litter. i kid you not, i saw a report on this.

what alarms me are the high levels of antibiotics found in water. i find it just frightening how often people take antibiotics when they really do not need to (ie cold, flu).

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by skyblueff0

HAHAHA. love your HTML.

I have read most of the posts and have yet to see anyone address this: WHY the he l l are local and even state authorities citing 9/11 concerns when being asked about the situation?? What's to hide? What could possibly be keeping the authorities from answering or acknowledging the problem? Are they concerned that their tactics for inspection of water supplies will be used against them? I mean come on, the freakin EPA, a government agency, has spoken up on this along with the AP and independent science. I get protecting the public through silence sometimes until an issue has been resolved, at which point there is full disclosure, but what are they worried about in dealing with this?

Smells wrong to me. Are there factions within higher government that have some "contaminate-the-water" agenda, - maybe worried that a certain trace of drug might be found that they don't want exposed? Whatever is happening, it is no surprise that governments at both the state and federal level would use 9/11 fear to keep things not only from the public, but from each other as well...

Source

edit: Thought I should add the site I got my info from so as to allow scrutiny.
edit: grammar
edit: sp
[edit on 10-3-2008 by obilesk]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Wow! This is an environmental concern. A worldwide environmental concern. This spells out pharmaceutical pollution! If pharmaceuticals are making into deep aquifers, then we have a problem. The article is basically saying that wherever water flows near treatment plants, septic tanks, landfills, and animal feed lots, whether surface water or deep aquifers, pharmaceuticals will be found in the water. Wherever people use pharmaceuticals, pharmaceuticals will appear in the water supply.

Another issue: There's evidence that adding chlorine, a common process in conventional drinking water treatment plants, makes some pharmaceuticals more toxic.

That statement equals big problem! We also know that flouride is being added to the water supply in many areas throughout the US. Fluoride is a toxin, so I'm sure its safe to say that the statement made about chlorine also applies to fluoride and other toxins that remain in the water supply after treatment.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

Does your floor move? Mine does after having a healthy glass of water from the tap.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
There was a programme in the UK done by Richard Hammond called "Should I be scared of..." where he investigated the UK's drinking water. After having tap water and bottled water independently tested, the tap water actually contained less pollutants and impurities than most bottled waters. There were also no traces of any hormones, drugs or any of the other "scare" stories that do the rounds on the internet in the tap water, due to the VERY TIGHT regulations that surround water in the UK.

Many bottled waters are just mains water that has been rebottled and sold at 100,000% markup. When he tried to give away tap water in a busy street, no one wanted it, but when he bottled it and sold it for 25p, people queued up to buy it! It's all in the head people and big corporations know how dumb Joe Public is and will make money off you.

Someone said above about the Thames having "crack" in it. Well, firstly, thats just untrue, as if it came from people, it would have been metabolised into something other than crack coc aine. Secondly, it matters not what is in the Thames, as you don't drink water directly from the River. It is heavily treated and purified. Also, much of the Thames regions water comes from reservoirs and the waste water is treated and then put into the Thames.

As for the people who seem to think drinking water from a 150 year old well is safer than tap water... WTF? Your probably, at the very least, sharing the same water table/aquifer as the mains supply and if not, then any rain that falls or water that is used and put into the ground will contaminate your supply anyway.

As for flouride, in the UK at least, very few water area's have it added, usually only the poor areas that traditionally suffered from bad teeth. Thames Region does not fluoridate the water.

So, bottom line is, you hear alot of scare stories about tap water, but most are utter bollocks. At least, in the UK anyway.....

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
In response to: "How the heck did it get there?"

It is in water because all water is recycled. There are so many humans that essentially we are drinking each others urine (filtered evaporated none the less). The problem is that pharmaceuticals are unable to be filtered out of water through evaporation, it was once thought this was only the case with birth control but its becoming apparent that we are being exposed to everyone's pills.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It's always been safe to drink well-water, rather than share water with a city, which isn't looking out for many others peoples' safety.

Cities are naturally dirty (especially the people, who rule over them), so if you drink the water recycled by the shills of those rulers, you should expect to get sick of it. After all, city-dwellers tend to die sooner than those, who live in the country (or more rural areas).

[edit on 10-3-2008 by ahuman]

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Consider the source. That's a rule of thumb that should be followed concerning all matters of public health and safety. Hammond is right.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ahuman

I've heard that the city water that's used to make the dough for New York City pizza is what gives it its great taste. The Italian rolls are really good, too. So city water is good for some things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join