It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion really all about control?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I don have a problem with you...your posts have nothing to do with this thread.

Can you sum up your viewpoint without any quotes or anything links, in response to the OP, and if you wanna grab a mod go ahead

OK I'm not gunna bother, you killed the thread anyways, but one more thing, if you can explain how your totally badass 300 compilation video ties into ANY of this, I think that would make my month.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by Tenebrous]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
No Brother Not Now It's too early Peace Brother My deepest Apology just For your request I'll be polite and honest I'll be leaving now Good Bye and God Bless Always about the song in youtube that i have inserted just put it on the balancing factor bin you might just need it someday it is not intended to personally cheer-up and let's be friends I refrain now I'm sorry.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

So Be Glad in the first place I bing good stuffs here (^^,)

[edit on 4-3-2008 by johnb1]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Whoa. Apologies to the O.P by proxy.

Johnb1- Why on earth are you spamming this thread with off topic music videos?

No hard feelings but it's pretty distracting and doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

[edit on 3/4/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
it's not off topic it's just another version of the Law of relativity By means in music and sound (^^,) sorry for confusing you all I will not post again like that.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by johnb1]

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Absolutely positively yes it's a fraud, and if you have a religion you are being controlled even if you don't think you are.

Please listen and think hard.....

Religion is pretty much the same thing as a club in my school, right.You have the choice to join any club, any one that's been established. Or you can create your own. Well if there aren't any then you have to make one up. Thats a fact.

Christianity's timeline of god:
-He is basically everything good that exists
-He is the past, present, and future, he is all that we see, all that we smell, all that we touch. He is everywhere and sees everything.
-He creates humans out of love, and will always love each of us more than our imagination can begin to comprehend. He will always love us no matter anything we do that makes us angry.
-He doesn't get angry because he knows all and like us, roots for good over evil.-cast satan from heaven
-There are flaws in almost every one of these characteristicts

In my eyes, religion was the first real scare tactic used by organized masses of men to spread beliefs of eternal life. It all is affected by your peers. Most people want to be friends with their peers. Some sacrafice their beliefs at times to fit in, it's called peer pressure, and schools teach us that it's bad and you shouldn't give in.
Religion is pretty much peer pressure, except much worse. If you don't think your friend's right, theIf you didn't go along with your friends beliefs during the crusades, then they wouldn't be your friend anymore, in fact they'd most likely kill you.

Christianity had so many people that joined because it was based on a sacred man... Jesus.... THE ONE AND ONLY SON OF GOD!!!!
Weather Jesus existed or not, it doesn't matter to me. Now don't get me wrong, for a man with so much history to not exist would be the greates myth man has ever told, it has no effect on me. But if you had three religions to choose to follow and one was started by the actual son of the god, wouldn't you look at that one like...."Wow, the creator of the universe, sent this guy to tell us the best religion is christianity.... I'm definitely not gonna follow some buddhist monk cook."
(I have mountains of respect for followers of Buddha that was just an example)

Religion is just another thing that the majority of people on earth have adapted into their lifestyle. People like power. We're more powerful as a team than by ourself, right? Religion is something very special. As long as there are people on this Earth of ours they are going to theorize and decide how they came to be born here, it's human nature. And humans enjoy being right if I'm not mistaken. So religion was destined to exist but not exactly how it is currently. How would a person like me who has never talked to god or jesus or any other "divine being,"

I know for a fact, that what mostly all religions have in common, is the idea that this thing called a sin exists.... in short, men definitely exist and men will always have imaginations, and since men get jealous, they must not allow other people to be right. Its not a mystery when your right about something, that makes us happy. But when people question you and you don't have proof what does your sub concience do? Religion is a term reserved for groups of MEN who say "I'm right, you're wrong" isn't it just like a club except now you're beliefs are elevated ove. Sins have never been proven real, have they?

All knowledge points to religion being a hoax used by men to gain power with the use of threats(sins). If you were god, what would you do?
If we are less important than this god then, why make joy in our lives? Its just one more thing he has to keep track of.

Why would God made of pure love create Sin?
He wouldn't

None of us need christ or bhudda, we have all the answers, why do you think he gave us curiosit?
Thanx to all

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The True Religion in the Bible is this and started a samples of Many Question

How can a woman become of God?
How to determine if one’s wife came from God?
How to keep a family intact
The man and wife recognized by God
The qualities of a good wife

James 1:27

27Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

and The True Church is this

1 Timothy 3:14-16

14I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these things to you so that,

15if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.
16Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness:

He[a] was manifested in the flesh,
vindicated by the Spirit,

seen by angels,
proclaimed among the nations,
believed on in the world,

taken up in glory.

Thanks Bro for the nice honest response you gave (^^,)

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by johnb1

I am very hesitant, or should I say 'was' very hesitant to reply to this topic, because it's actually near to impossible to answer without knowing which religion your referring to and what type of control. I read through the entire thread and have to admit, a few times johnb1 kind of lost me, but regained my sense of understanding with the above post.

True religion is really not a religion at all, that's what makes it difficult to answer. True religion, so to speak, is believing the testimony that was delivered to us by men of old through the Holy Spirit. Our belief in the testimony is really rather what set's us free from the bondage of man and satan, it even set's us free from ourselves, or should; (Luke 9:23)
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
YEAH GOT IT' YATADE (^^,) How Nice and Amazing it is the We meet in the Middle in spite of many confusions.

GOOD or BAD ACTIONS STILL SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS

1 Corinthians 14:33

33for God is not a God of (A)confusion but of peace, as in (B)all the churches of the (C)saints.

Romans 2:15

15in that they show (A)the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

Love Above All Peace Always in Hearts

Revelation 21:8

8"(A)But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in (B)the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the (C)second death."

[edit on 6-3-2008 by johnb1]

I have words to say to you my friend
Is it hard to know what’s right from wrong
Have you ever felt your life so self assured
And then we’ll say
We’ll rip out our covers
Shake the walls until they break
I’ll hold out my hand to you
Supreme love and respect
Peace man
At first it seems so daunting
How to start or how to grow
But make believe becomes a living
Cuz in life, in life you will know
Peace man

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Here's something that just crossed my mind.

Some religions make the claim that nonbelievers in that religion will face some sort of torment in the afterlife. It migth be permanent, it might not, but there's a lot of religions and sects out there with this outlook.

There's just one problem...

A nonbeliever isn't going to be bothered by this... since they don't believe in it.

So who, exactly, is the target audience for fear of hell? Obviously, the punishment for nonbelievers is intended to frighten believers into believing, and remaining faithful. If you leave, you face punishment.

Some even go a step further, that you can receive punishment through association with nonbelievers - or that these nonbelievers will try to sway you. So you're to distance yourself from them.

"Not control?" Yeah, sure.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I will say that this tends to be the case.
Now whether this is intentional or not this is what ends up happening.

The human ego pops out and makes it worse in religion.
In religion "God tells you to do it" and those that dont follow are apostates, etc.

In real life, people are just 'a**es" and we know them for what they are.
But in religion God is the source for all the stupid commands spouted off by people who dont like what someone around them does.

I have seen church politics my whole life, and even as a kid this was clear to me.
Politics and religion dont mix, but Jesus knew that and it is why he did not seek to set up an earthly kingdom.

It gets worse, it seems, as you move down/up the ladder through the denominations.
Get to charismatic and the control gets really crazy. Now the irony is that the charismatics are perhaps closer to the truth then the rest...yet at the same time, with how they understand the truths...they are the furthest away. It is a sad irony.

When Im with an individual I can speak their lingo, but on a board like this...its hopeless. I even tried a blog to get some points across, but someone will inevitable miss out because of how they interpret what it is your saying.

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 6-3-2008 by dAlen]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Here's a 1 Nice Blog that you can Get some Good's stuffs and other Blogs too. internationally (^^,)

esoriano.wordpress.com...

Brother Eliseo Soriano — the man, the leader and the servant — remains steadfast in his faith. Amidst all hardships, trials, and persecutions, his unwavering commitment and dedication to mankind is undeniable. He has been offering his strength, time, and love for more than four decades now, for the glory of his Creator, to prove that he is truly God’s humble messenger in these last days.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Elisha4Yah

True religion, so to speak, is believing the testimony that was delivered to us by men of old through the Holy Spirit. Our belief in the testimony is really rather what set's us free from the bondage of man and satan, it even set's us free from ourselves, or should; (Luke 9:23)

True religion, created by a living God, is a myth. Each and every religion, that has existed on this planet including Christianity has been started by a man or women. Most humans get curious about creation.

Religion is simply a concept created by humans because we know how to reproduce and make babies, that's instinct. We were also granted emotions so we could create our own anwers to existence.

Even if you do believe Jesus was the son of god. How many people where part of the catholic church before he was born?(I don't know) But I believe that if you look at the wealth Jesus brought to the church, while setting your own beliefs aside, you too would realize that messiah's are a propoganda tool, prophecies are also usefull because they make people truly believe that they can never die. We can die, just like every other animal. What makes you think we live on in eternal bliss and every other thing the holy spirit created, just dies and goes away?

In reality, religion is just another way for you to be controlled by greedy humans.

Jesus' and his life story were recorded in the bible and I defenitely believe he existed. What point did jesus serve mankind? for christians he saved them, but for all the other people creating religions at his time, he was the worst thing to happen to their church. Why even try to go against the son of god, he surely is right, we're wrong god sent him right?

RIGHT, god or whatever created us did send us Jesus to us. But in the same way we all are produced.

The church prophesized the coming of christ. He would be born in Bethlehem king of the Jews to a virgin. And three wise men would follow stars to find him.

It is a fact that you can't suddelnly get pregnant if you're a woman, the egg requires a seed from man. That is how we reproduce, not a-sexually. Mary was not a virgin, how many married women you know are virgins.....its a tradition to lose your virginity the night you're married. This is true in pretty much every culture on earth. Many people believe jesus had siblings and even if he didn't....She had sex, with her husband. We all do this. Now assume there was no prophecy to fulfill for the church. Would jesus still have come to us? Yes, his mother was impregnated, that's why people have babies. And seeing as we don't even know for sure the day or month of his birth, the prophecy was designed so it could be fulfilled whenever the church needed it to be. If it was a year or two off no biggy.

What made jesus the son of god? not his teachings or his beliefs.... it was the prophecy that gods son would be born on this certain day. No matter who makes a prophecy, you're going to have to recognise them as Holy, or divine, or psychic if it comes true.

So the church sent the wise men on what they believed was their duty in life, to welcome gods child among us. They flattered and bribed mary and joseph with gold....they also said.... he's the son of god.

I hate to believe myself but think that Jesus was just a regular person,the church made him holy. He was born the same as you or I, a normal human. But he was treated in a way that only men could abuse a son of god. They created him to gain belief in their religion, he actually thought he was gods son, but he was lied to and tricked into this belief, they created a star, but they just abused this poor soul. Then they killed him off and centered Christianity around his beliefs. He was the son of god. It would take a strong person to take all that.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnb1
Don't compare me on some Religious Cowards and peddling the word of GOD.

I'm sorry. But I'm defending My belief and Stance What's yours.

Ok, I've just scanned over the posts related to the OP here and just jumping in so excuse the intrude, but What exactly is your belief? I'm not clear on if your religous or not. You keep quoting random things, but not clear on if you're mocking them or trying to make a point.

By the way 300 was a good movie, but what does it have to do with this thread?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Here's something that just crossed my mind.

Some religions make the claim that nonbelievers in that religion will face some sort of torment in the afterlife. It migth be permanent, it might not, but there's a lot of religions and sects out there with this outlook.

There's just one problem...

A nonbeliever isn't going to be bothered by this... since they don't believe in it.

So who, exactly, is the target audience for fear of hell? Obviously, the punishment for nonbelievers is intended to frighten believers into believing, and remaining faithful. If you leave, you face punishment.

Some even go a step further, that you can receive punishment through association with nonbelievers - or that these nonbelievers will try to sway you. So you're to distance yourself from them.

"Not control?" Yeah, sure.

Actually Fox there has been a great misunderstanding there. The Catholics did try to use Hell to scare the population into submission. This has led to misguided efforts at fire and brimstone style preaching - that most churches have steered away from today.

However the intention of the original teaching was not for non believers at all. It is really for believers.

If you look at a diamond between your fingers and hold it up to the light, it is shiny but you really can not see it that well. However when you go to a jewelry store they put a piece of black velvet behind that diamond and when the light hits it it sparkles like you wouldn't believe -- it's beauty is seen.

In the same way, Hell is the dark background for believers to view their salvation against. It also spurs them on toward evangelism out of compassion for their fellow man.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
We all remember that show on television called: Fear Factor ,

As for Religion and Control, it equals Fear. Of course we know that, and fear leads to bondage. As for analyzing religions on the surface level, we would have to pin-point the Fear Factor of that religion, that keeps the individual bound. Men don't freely walk away from something that fear binds them to. Cut the ties that bind the individual to fear and then they are set free.

Is this where I now download my music videos and start my scripture quotes?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Often ppl in ATS say religion and are really talking about Christianity. I think we need to remember that Christianity is only one religion in this world. It teaches Heaven and Hell as seperate entities. One place you will go if you are good and believe that one man was the son of God, in this place you will reep great rewards. The other place you will go if you don't believe in that, and in this place you will be punished beyond human understanding.

Other religions I have studied teach that we are all a part of God, and that God is both good/bad, male/female, etc... These religions don't hold a club over your head and teach you to suppress your natural instincts. Instead they teach listening to the inner self, striving for harmony within your environment, and sitting quietly in order to connect with the life force we all call God.

I don't believe that religion, including Christianity, is about control. I think these religions were started by ppl who were trying to make since of the world around them and communicate what they had learned to others. However, like Constantine in 300+ CE, the basic concept was taken and twisted around to fit some selfish purpose. So, in my opinion it's not religion that is trying to control us, but men who use religion to control us.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Amen, sister. I agree wholeheartedly, it's not the religion that causes the problem, it's the people who use it for their own (usually political) gain. And once again you're right that a lot of people think of religion as Christianity. One can be very religious and not be Christian.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I once was at big social gathering where I was put at a table with this jesuit priest. As you might guess, at some point the conversation rounded about to religion, and I've never forgotten the things that he said.

Among them:

Once upon a time, life was hard. You worked hard all year to get enough food to live, you had 20 children and maybe 6 of them lived because you needed the labor and if you were lucky you lived to be 40. Heck, you were lucky to live through the winter each year. And eventually someone came up with this idea to make their own lives easier, and so they went to the other people and said, "Hey, there's this guy, and his name is God, and he's shown me this paradise that we all get to go to when we die. But you have to be good, and you have to follow these rules and do what I say.

Heh. Seems obvious to me that's how it went down, even if his words were a lighthearted.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

I had a friend once, a Jesuit Priest, funny guy. He got drunk one day and went out driving, got into an accident, and left the scene. Later he turned himself in, of course it was when he was sober again and showered. He got off with a minor traffic violation. Got to love the Jesuit's eh? lol Anyway I believe that religion has it's purposes. Without it what would encourage us to ask questions that take us beyond what we see in front of our face? It's looking beyond the obvious and yes within ourselves that bring us to a place of growth.

However, when we allow others to influence our decisions and we discount our common sense, we give up control. That's when the trouble starts. It's our desire to make our lives easier that allows us to blindly believe until the religion in question starts to make our lives harder then we say "Hey they are trying to control me" lol Can't blame the pursecutor if you take the position of the victim.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Because your A BIBLE THUMPER & I'm A Sensible Spammer Because you said it

NO HARD FEELINGS ALSO JUST GO ON TO THIS WEB BOT PROJECT

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Matthew 28:20

20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, (A)I am with you always, even to (B)the end of the age."

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join