It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion really all about control?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
An important point in history is the adoption of Christianity in Constantinople by Constantine. But many of the policies within religion are all about control. For Constantine, this would have been useful to keep his people peaceful and under his control.

In addition, the so called "religion of peace" would discourage the overthrow of the government and encourage prevention of it's overthrow.

Many Christian practices, like Christmas, were adopted to gain the support of the people and lure them away from their pagan practices.

It also seems that most of the fundamentalist religions are the most controlling and demanding of conformity. This gives those in charge far more power than they would otherwise have.

So, do you think most religions are about religion, or are they about control and maintaining a specific government? Were they knowingly implemented by people like Constantine for that purpose?

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Both yes and no. Those with an ill will go to much further extents to impose it, than those with a good will.
If you know what you are doing is bad, then you would most likely take extra measures to make sure no one noticed.

god is perfect, religion is a slanted political viewpoint of what god should be. so thus we have different religions; different places and events and languages leading to different interpretations of what god means or is.

ultimately, religion is about control, but not the bad kind. its been misused and greatly misunderstood
but so is science, and its at the same place...

Id say most religions are there to support the general acceptance of a shared viewpoint.
I just dont see how we can look at any religion as purely a system of keeping the people from thinking or acting out, when it is religion that helps so many people make any sense of anything.
to the OP
I think before we had a lot of different things to reflect on, religion and politics were the same thing, like before language for instance. but then you get people from side a of earth meeting up with side b who's language is different and describes the same things very differently causing confusion or misinterpretation of the same ideals.

[edit on 3-3-2008 by psychedeliack]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yeshua could have been King. Moshe could have been King.

Moshe died in the wilderness. Yeshua died like a criminal.

Moshe founded a "Nation of Priests". Yeshua founded a World of Gods.

They both had two milleniums of theoretic political advance.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by Rigel]

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
"One nation under God"...hmm

"Jihad" "Holy War" "crusades"

"In God we trust"

I'd have to say religion is about power

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
This is How I roll Guys Hope you like my Answer because this is what Happens really anyone of us that each of us cannot please everybody so please put my answer own your each balancing factor bin you can use it when you need it (^^,)

Matthew 24:24-25

24For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible. 25See, I have told you ahead of time

www.psychegenetics.proboards...##.###/

2 Corinthians 2:16-17

16To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? 17Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Is religion about power? It depends on how you practice. Try to break away from mainstream religions and find your own way to God. I do admit that absolute power corrupts. When leaders see how religious people will do anything for God they manipulate that power to gain extra power.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AWingAndASigh

"Is religion really all about control?"

To be honest, it will depend on what specific religions you want to discuss. Some religion is very oppressive while some is very liberating even if it still teaches self discipline. One cannot say all religions, philosophies, and spiritual beliefs are about control. We would have to explore different beliefs one at a time. The term 'religion' is too all encompassing and 'self discipline' must not be confused with being 'all about control.

It would seem most religions are about a connection with a higher power.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
A religion that is based on Grace cannot be used for control, and almost all none catholic Christians believe in salvation through grace. The reason that Rome was successful in using religion for control for many years was that they base salvation on both grace and works. If I do not do what my Church says then I can still go to heaven as that is between God and me, where with the Roman Catholic version there is no salvation outside of the church and you have to do as they instruct to be saved. One allows control, the other allows freewill.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
IHO

Religion started, and is and always will be at the very core, a way of giving explanations for the unexplainable, a guiding force for people who need structure in their lives, who like the routines. It was so people would not spend their lives worrying about death. It gives a sense of order and peace that is otherwise hard to get in this turbulent world, which was much more turbulent in the past, when the majority of religions started. Religion made people happy.

And then...

People realized how this powerful guiding force could help reach previously unattainable status. In the pre-civilized world, status was achieved, that is to say you had to earn it through actions and deeds. If you faulted you lost your rank. These societies were relatively egalitarian. This is true even of most tribes and chiefdoms that survived to modern day, although many chiefdoms starting having a more ranked society.

Anyways, it was through religion that first hereditary over class came to be. This was in lower Mesopotamia, in Sumer, considered the first civilization(didn't give me flack about Atlantis or others, even if they existed we don't know anything about them). Anyways so the very first Noble class if you will, who were born into the position, was not from some powerful warlord passing his son the crown and so on, but from the priests of Sumer, the very first civilization. There were no kings at first, if I'm correct right up until Akkadian times. Religion was THE power right from the start. (Sumerians invented writing, the wheel, the plow, among many other things)

The divine right went on from there. Everyone from the Pharaohs to the great dynasties of China, to the Kings of the middle ages, has since then used the divine right of god. It was up until the Enlightenment, the only tangible excuse the Lords, Kings, whatever name they went by had for the hereditary dictatorships throughout history.

Talk about a source of power. I won't even touch the power of the Catholic Church.

This thread hits it right on the head. I'm tired of people blaming religion for wars. No people use religion as a way of gaining power, then using it to their own ends, blaming religion. The crusades weren't really about gaining the holy land, at least at first. There are several reasons, the biggest was that the knights of feudal Europe were basically in a constant state of war and the church decided they should unite against a common cause, which happened to also put a lot of coin the church coffers. If you analyze most "religious" wars, they all use religion as a front, but it always comes out to power and money. There are a few examples of purely religious war, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but most involve some kind of power being gained. I cannot think of a single war that was fought not to control the people but to change their faith...

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I noticed the thread title was about 'religion' yet the original thread mentioned Christianity as the only example which is why I avoided saying what you did.

(Not harping on you O.P.! This kind of stuff happens all the time in the CIR forum.)

As Defcon5 said, and since your O.P. mentions Christianity as the example, then, as I said before, it will still need to be broken down.

Catholicism teaches salvation through grace and works. It is also required to be a member of their church and other certain things. So yes, that is a form of control if you ask me. You have to 'earn' something Jesus said was free. Pretty much all the other branches of Christianity believe in what is called 'grace through faith.' It is all about a personal relationship with Jesus and no human being can come in between.

True Christian 'theology' is actually pretty darn liberating.

As for others, you will have to break it down one at a time.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The theology has next to nothing to do with what the people use the religion for, all religions are basically good when you break them down, they are just historically used for other means. The theology is changed modified or exploited to meet the political needs of the time.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Sharing
Conscientiousness
Courage
Love
Communication
Art
Intelligence

Every culture shares these human values.

YEAH (^^,) THE DNA ROOT BLOODLINES FROM THE EAST WAY TO GO NICE FIGURE ALWAYS YOU BRINGING
In the Courtesy of magnet man Info's www.psychegenetics.proboards...##.###/index.cgi?board=comp&action=display&thread=1204483942&page=1

I don't care Self Reputations or Exaltation I will Follow the Ancient Path of Teachings as a Pure Love if some one says to me I'm good and kind I thank GOD always first and when someone accusing me some lies about me I thank Him too. and God will do the rest. Love Above All

1 Corinthians 13

Love

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by johnb1]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tenebrous

But does that make the religion controlling or the people that abuse the religion [read: theology]?

That makes a huge difference. Let's assume the Bible truly is the Word of God (just for the sake of avoiding the tired argument that the Bible was written by men). Then the theology of Christianity is very liberating. If someone chooses to allow a priest or 'middleman' to get in the way, then that only shows the flaws of people. Not the 'religion' itself.

We can still whine and cry about the concept of Hell but that's been done to death.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
A Big Catastrophic Deception Globally

For such a massive conspiracy It is all according to the plan by the Evil Spirit Puppet Master? ???

Anyways Thanks for all the Contributors in our Entire History Because There will be a time In a Blink of an Eye we will know Everything ;D

Just Be Brave Humble and Wise It's A win win situation Bro Don't Trust me But Trust God the Almighty (^^,) Let's ROCK on Dude

Matthew 10:27-33

27"(A)What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim (B)upon the housetops.

28"Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather (C)fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in (D)hell.
1 John 5:18

18(A)We know that (B)no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God (C)keeps him, and (D)the evil one does not (E)touch him.

Just put your TRUST to GOD and Be Brave and do not be Coward.

Just Like What said In the Revelation of John of Patmos For those who are not Brave .

Revelation 21:8

8"(A)But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in (B)the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the (C)second death."

Remember What the BIBLE Says It is A sin to Commit Suicide

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Thats my entire point. Religion is harmless, people need to leave it alone. But it has been used and abused, and has traditionally been the single greatest justification for power. No other reason comes close. I am your all powerful leader because I am God (or some kind of descendant or otherwise related). Even the new world civilizations, the Inka, Maya, Aztecs etc, were all God Kings, so it is not just an old world trend. Religion is about good teachings, but in the end it is the single most powerful weapon of control in history.

This because as I explained in my first post, it means so much to so many that people will follow those who say they are the manifest of it. Religion is a powerful force in so many peoples lives, and that has always been harnessed.

[edit on 4-3-2008 by Tenebrous]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
About your reason man alone cannot change things in his ways If GOD has a GOOD plan for us also the Evil Satan has A Good Wicked Plan for us too.

Hope you get my point.

Inevitable Unavoidable as a Universal Totality of reasoning that I did not answer for my own self but The BIBLE the Word of GOD.

Revelation 22:11

11"(A)Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy."

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnb1

Remember What the BIBLE Says It is A sin to Commit Suicide

Dude...
are you even trying to take part, your confusing the hell out of me, how is most of what you said related?

If Ive misunderstood my apologies.

And what the hell does the white stripes have to do with religion as a means to control...good band but...uhh...

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
No I'm not I'm Just Sharing Good Stuffs just like the others I'm not Talking to someone or somebody only I'm Talking Micro and Macro Issues about all of our confusion.

Daniel 12:4

4"But as for you, Daniel, (A)conceal these words and (B)seal up the book until the (C)end of time; (D)many will go back and forth, and knowledge will increase."

1 Corinthians 14:33

33for God is not a God of (A)confusion but of peace, as in (B)all the churches of the (C)saints.

Here have some relaxation music brother just click the (+)(-) Sign

www.neave.tv...

Cheer-up Love Above All

Cause and Effect other say its Karma

or in Science Chemical Reaction Nothing Happen Without a Cause

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Dude are you even human, or like a spam bot...you have derailed this whole thread, which I was enjoying...
I don't care if you wanna convert, but do it where you arnt derailing a thread...

And dude how come you talk like some cliche jazz cool cat thing, and you randomlly capitalise stuff...

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Don't compare me on some Religious Cowards and peddling the word of GOD.

My Deepest Apology Bro If you want to say something about spam just try to talk to the administrator and moderators I will be easy to do so what they want me to do as a member here in ATS. If you have to prove something Come and lets reason out and make a topic for a debate discussions relax dude peace men I'm a friend.

I'm sorry. But I'm defending My belief and Stance What's yours.

Do you want this TOPIC ? Why are there many religions today?

let's Go on the Respected board Classroom

If you are angry at me in my post just ignore there is always a solution bro
If you want me dead just pull the trigger at least I did not commit suicide
It's sad but it is worth of the maximum pain.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join