It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does E.T. mean the end of religion ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
some people say that aliens can scientifically prove the existence of God or a supreme being.

some people believe that the aliens are God or the supreme beings.

another possibility is aliens could show up and not know anything about it period.

If aliens were to show up one day with no idea of what god is, does that mean god does not exist? I find this to be a fascinating question. So what does happen if aliens show up? Do we through out our belief in an all powerful being?

here is a good article talking about what impact on religion aliens would have if they showed up.

hollowearth.wordpress.com...
Religion and Aliens

i have seen alot of people that dont believe in God and they always say that when the aliens show up it will be the end of religion .

i believe God created all life everywhere.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Not really because some Christains believe in the grand deception for their use of a new world order, they could be false angels instead but they may not tell us at first.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by The time lord]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I've done alot of research..And I want to say yes because there's reason to believe that they are posing as our gods. But I could easily be wrong. I have evidence but no proof.

However, does any of this mean there is no god? Or that the teachings of our holy scriptures are any less valid? No. They are just as valid as virtues today as they were they day they were written down. Religion would undoubtedly change to become a wholly different animal. But this doesn't mean we should all stop our spiritual journeys. Because that would be an injustice onto oneself.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I think that would be entirely up to the individual,I have seen UFO's and I'm a Christian growing up I was always told that the earth isn't the only place where others exist,I guess someone of weak will could be changed but then again they could be easily swayed by anything

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
No. Any arrival of aliens or the announcement of the discovery of an alien civilization on another planet will just give the more aggressive missionary-oriented religions another opportunity to spread the word. As it is now, this planet is getting pretty well market saturated. No more primitive jungle natives to whip into moral shape. Two hours after any announcement, you can expect TV evangelical preachers to turn their huge satellite dishes toward the stars and start preaching the Good News of Jesus Christ, along with a request for the aliens to send them money (or credits, or whatever) to support the ministry.

Some people see alien invasion, other people see opportunity.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I am baffled as to why a lot of people think that just because
when Aliens actually appear, and the whole world knows for sure
they are here, that everyone will cease to believe in their God
or whatever higher power you might believe in. I just don't understand
the reasoning on this.

I was brought up as a Christian, and was always taught that God
created the Heavens and the Universe. Wouldn't that indeed include
ALL of the Galaxies, and planets in the entire Universe? Most of us
believe that there has to be some form of two legged intelligence
"out there" someplace. Why would we abandon our religious beliefs
because of life somewhere else? This is silly to me. But what do I
know? When the day comes for the Aliens to openly show themselves,
I may have an awakening of the mind somehow and leave my beliefs.

ZOOMER

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
No. Any arrival of aliens or the announcement of the discovery of an alien civilization on another planet will just give the more aggressive missionary-oriented religions another opportunity to spread the word. As it is now, this planet is getting pretty well market saturated. No more primitive jungle natives to whip into moral shape. Two hours after any announcement, you can expect TV evangelical preachers to turn their huge satellite dishes toward the stars and start preaching the Good News of Jesus Christ, along with a request for the aliens to send them money (or credits, or whatever) to support the ministry.

You and I are often wobbling in opposite directions on top of the fence, but in this case, I couldn't agree with you more.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Who's to say that if we ever do encounter an alien race that they don't already subscribe to to some variation on the idea of a supreme creator?

I'm not saying that they will all share a single religion with each other, nor will their religion(s) will have details similar to ours (such as Jesus); however what if the majority of members of that alien race -- like humans -- have a religion or several religions that include a single supreme creator and a similar moral code of conduct (the "Golden Rule", etc.).

That idea would jibe very nicely with many of Earth's religions that say a single entity created both the Earth AND the rest of the Universe.

[edit on 2/29/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
There really are several sources of infomation to clearly define that "the aliens" are "spritiual beings". This included texted documentation.

The overwelming majority of abducties, that are worth gathering info from, have stated they act in spiritual ways having "prophets/priests" over other beings and such stuff.

There have been handful of government leaks that stated the "aliens" where intrested in helping us increase our spiritual understanding above all other things.

The Aliens are not an end. They are the next step. People tend to run from anything religious because the followers of "religions" often seem controling, manipulitive, and all around generally evil. This however is just part of the larger picture. Aliens truly are already in the story and they are the "next step" in the story line.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
As a Christian I believe God created everything. ETs and UFOs speak to the wonder of Gods creation. It verifies it for me. So no it would';t do anything to real Christians who understand. It's all covered in scripture if you know how to look.

David Flynn is billiant in his explanation...

Angels are non-human intelligent beings who have superior technology and comprehension of physics, having been present at the creation of the material universe.

The concept of an ANGEL comes from the Greek aggelos; from the Hebrew ago for "one going forth" or "one leading"; messenger. Not all angels are "good". Not all angels continue to do God's will, although all angels were originally created by God to convey His message. Some angels rebelled against God's plan. Some angels go forth to give their own message; some angels go forth to lead mankind AWAY from the truth.

But all angels are more intelligent and powerful beings than mere humans.
The angels are represented throughout the Bible as a body of spiritual beings intermediate between God and men: "You have made him (man) a little less than the angels" (Psalm 8:6). They, equally with man, are created beings; "praise ye Him, all His angels: praise ye Him, all His hosts . . . for He spoke and they were made. He commanded and they were created" (Psalm 148:2, 5: Colossians 1:16, 17).

There's a lot more :
UFOs and the Bible by David Flynn

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
thanks everyone for your posts,

it's very interesting to me to see that everyone has a different take on this. some think it would be a beginning or end and some believe that the religious machine will keep pumping and spreading the word.

obviously if the aliens were angels ,....religion would continue either the way it is or be straightened out if needed.

here is a very interesting video put out by the Mormon religion that shows angels as aliens travelling all over the universe. quite comical if you ask me, but what do i know ?...

www.youtube.com...

but the real question here is what if these aliens are just E.B.E. that either don't know of a God or they say they created us in a test tube or whatever.........

i think that most people that say... aliens would result in the end of religion... would subscribe to the above ideas about aliens.

i have also seen that when some of these people make this claim they sometimes change their thinking when they really think about it. they start flip flopping when the real cards are on the table so to speak.

but then there are some that are true atheist and they don't seem to waiver at all. they firmly believe that when the aliens show up they (the aliens) will prove or be proof that their is no God no matter what.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by easynow]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I agree that aliens are most likely the children of the great God as well. And we have to keep that in mind when faced with possibilities such as first contact.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Here's something to think about.

What does religion have to do with the existence of "God"?

[edit on 2/29/2008 by Spoodily]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
There has been contact in the past, Religion is full of contact stories of Angles and messages from God. This is not new and what we may experience now could just be some way religiously related. There are good and bad sides and sometimes the Good Sides will behave in judgement to get us in a straight path but it could be hard to tell in all this confusion.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Of course not. I have always been amazed at the thought that the existance of life other than our own must mean that their is no God. It is an exercise (imho) of the ultimate in arrogance.

When I was young, my father (the guy in my avatar), said to me, "In the beginning God in his love created man in his own image, and man in his arrogance created God in his own image".

Why could God have not created all things, including other different life forms in an infinite diversity of existence? The existence of other life forms different from us glorifies God, it does not destroy him except in the supreme ego of some of his creations.

May I say that the sun does not revolve around the earth?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Haha i take my hat off to you Nohup, this is a brilliant insight into what would no doubt occur!

On topic : Nope it would not spell the end of religion, though perhaps Scientology may have some explaning to do when we meet real aliens, who havent evolved from clams or arent sent to reincarnation centres on the moon etc etc!

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I would hope that the aliens (if they exist) would have a machine that can go back and remotely view the past in order to disprove and dispell all the rubbish that societies are brainwashed with.

Please ET's, show us the truth of what happened 2000 years ago, 5000 years ago, 10,000 years ago, show me what JC was actually like, and then we'll see how far organised religion has actually perverted what the original message or idea might have been. Show us when the Pyramids we're actually built, for what purpose and by whom. Show us what humanity was like 20,000 years ago, then maybe we could start fixing up the problems facing us now.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
As others have said, the realization of extraterrestrial life won't cause people to stop believing in GOD, the ONE, the ALL. If anything, it will glorify God so much more!!!

That said, I think religions that involve the worship of mortal beings as Gods, such as Christianity, will be dealt a devastating blow. I think Jesus, if he existed, was more likely a very powerful, very advanced "Star Child" or "Indigo Child" - a hybrid. Certainly still a very beautiful and wise and holy and revered person, but not actually GOD itself.

Such a revelation will be devastating to those who have believed all their lives, heart and soul, that Jesus actually was/IS God....

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

The thing religions fear most about ETs is if they provide definitive proof of the falsity of their history, traditions and beliefs. I can think of a couple of major religions that have a lot to fear in that department.

Religions tend to either ignore the ET phenomenon or call them the devil. If ETs show up and prove that they were the ones that started all the major religions it would be a major blow. Fundraising would become a problem. There would be a lot of empty churches being used as daycare centers.

Rest assured it is not going to happen!

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think people that believe in God believe god is outside of this or any and all universes or dimensions.
Pretend aliens already have shown up, then read the bible, and see how much more sense it makes.
better yet, read some old vedic scripture under the assumption that aliens are real and see what you think.
all I have to say, is if they do somehow mass appear, and quiet all my doubts about myself just hallucinating, there are going to be a lot of people out there that feel the same way.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join