It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does E.T. mean the end of religion ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I tend to believe that the so called human looking aliens may be the ones created in Gods image and have had salvation made available to them. Some of the more alien looking aliens do seem sort of souless in their behavior towards humans and I'm not sure salvation has been offered to them or perhaps they've chosen to forego it. I think some of the "human aliens" have known about our Creator alot longer than we have and will have alot to teach us. Perhaps our edition of Gods word is been edited especially for us and some of the other "editions" go into much more detail.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The point of the story was all he really needed was faith, not to see the Messiah in person. He could have found God all along if he had just looked in his heart.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Why are ETs the only things that could shatter religion?

Plenty of human atheists have been trying to do this for a long time. Anyone seen a timetable for stopping? And you've got sweethearts like Osama bin Laden who think the USA created AIDS "as a Satanic American Invention" and that we have stupid things like the U.S. Constitution "rather than ruling by the Shariah of Allah."

Back of the line, ET.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

i understood the point of the story but my reply to you was to show you that sometimes " faith " isnt enough.

if aliens showed up and said they created us in a test tube i would hope God would intervene somehow so people would have more then just faith because facing that situation there is going to be an upheaval of most religious beliefs and without somekind of proof from God i think we would be in deep trouble.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by easynow]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cold Metallic Voice
Why are ETs the only things that could shatter religion?

Plenty of human atheists have been trying to do this for a long time. Anyone seen a timetable for stopping? And you've got sweethearts like Osama bin Laden who think the USA created AIDS "as a Satanic American Invention" and that we have stupid things like the U.S. Constitution "rather than ruling by the Shariah of Allah."

Back of the line, ET.

thanks for your reply,

i agree that there are other factors that are trying to shatter religion. i dont think anyone is denying that. there have been many wars over religion also.

millions of people have died over religions batteling each other...imho

but you have to admit that if aliens showed up it would effect all religions at the same time and could become the cause of armegeddon.

imho it would either transform us ... or kill us all....

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

What is up with the heavily debunked argument that religions kill people? While it's technically true, it conveniently ignores the fact the atheistic Communism has killed far, far more....those who think religion is bad wouldn't want to see what the world would be like without it!

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jubuwal

thanks for your post

you just proved my point that if aliens showed up and uprooted all religions it would be a very bad thing and like i said it would either transform us spiritually or kill us all depending really on exactly wich aliens showed up.

how would atheist communism react to aliens making the claim that they created them in a test tube ?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Originally posted by easynow
just because you may already believe life exists elsewhere doesnt mean that there wont be problems as explained in the above paragraph.

You're right there, in a way. I'm sure E.T. showing up, even if one believed they were out there, would test their faith in God. But to me that paragraph (along with any other source of information) is nothing more than the authors thoughts and ideas on the subject. Take it as a source of information to guide you, but never rely on others thoughts and opinions while trying to form your own. Thinking for yourself is always the best way to go.

"This would mean that God has acted in the development of the aliens in a way he did not act in ours" (From OP's external source)

This is what I'm talking about. Replace the word "aliens" with "animals". How would this person explain the many different types of animals here on earth. Surely God didn't act in the development of them in the same way he acted in ours.

You thanked me for my post, but I really have to thank you for posting the topic. I'm not a religious person at all. I haven't even been to church in over ten years, but it does get my mind thinking. That's one thing I do like to do, so thanks.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Now, there's a good question. UNLESS the aliens espoused Communism...I think the Communists would just believe it was a capitalist plot and try to kill the aliens!

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Americantrucker

thanks for your post,

You're right there, in a way. I'm sure E.T. showing up, even if one believed they were out there, would test their faith in God.

yes it would definately make you re-evaluate your faith and i am really starting to believe thats why they havent revealed themselves...because they probably understand the implications.

This is what I'm talking about. Replace the word "aliens" with "animals". How would this person explain the many different types of animals here on earth. Surely God didn't act in the development of them in the same way he acted in ours.

true but ...i dont believe Jesus died on the cross to save the bugs and animals. we were made in the likeness of God...if i understand correctly.

You thanked me for my post, but I really have to thank you for posting the topic.

glad it got you thinking because if they did show up you might be a little more aware and prepared.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Simple answer, Religions will change their beliefs to fit the new found truth. During y2k some religious dude ( i wanna say the pope) but im not sure at this point who said it, but they said the bible called it the end of times. Well that didn't happen, what did they say? oh we interpreted it wrong and it was the year 3000.

So they will mold whatever happens to keep faith alive.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by easynow Oh yeah, thats right the "Sons of God came down and went into the daughters of Man, bearing unto them children"

I don't doubt the "men at the top" of Catholics and other denominations will try and incorporate this into their rationalizations should aliens appear publicly. I just don't think they consider this as a valid interpretation at this moment of time. I'd go as far as say they consider it impudent.

It'd be interesting how each denominations theological authorities think about this, but I can't find any links on what their official positions are on this matter.

I think God ommissing any more info on our Alien brothers is bordering on deception. Why omiss important info like this from the New Testament if God is infallible and knows Aliens will turn up publicly one day? Keep ppl in the dark for fun I soppose.

And why keep it vague? What happens when Aliens say "we don't know what you're talking about" when they're asked about a vague Genesis reference? Or say, "oh yeah, that was us" (supporting Christian/Jewish foundations and not other religions). Either situation leads to someone elses religion getting left out. Can't please everyone when it comes to religion.

Originally posted by easynow well i believe that he created everything in the universe so i would hope he did...

do you agree that somethings about all religions would have to change if aliens did show up ?

Sorry, this goodwill ambassdor thingy where all religions have mutual respect as equals cos "basically they're the same" has no real world support. By "as equals" I mean they actually consider their major standpoints as valid as their own or are willing to put them to one side, so to speak, should someone else come with a different story. I'm sure you don't underestimate how belligerent and conflict inducing religion can be.

Aliens appearing and being athiest or supporting a certain religion will only cause more conflict imo. "Can't enter the kingdom of heaven except through me" and all that - the devil is in the details as they say.

Originally posted by easynow how would atheist communism react to aliens making the claim that they created them in a test tube?

Well, aliens can only provide proof for this and hope we accept it if they believe the Athiest community respects facts and the scientific method, even if the truth is unpalatable and not a nice creation fairy tale. Being below them in intelligence and a few rungs down the civilisation ladder I suspect it will be hard not to listen to what they say.

Personally it will be the theists who will keep to their books and claim they're right and everyone else is wrong even if the evidence presented states otherwise - once Aliens contradict their worldview it going to be "oh, they're trying to trick us/illusion fake evidence" (refute evidence outright (not like they don't do this already)), "Aliens are evil etc. . ."

Originally posted by RandomThoughtSimple answer, Religions will change their beliefs to fit the new found truth. . .

So they will mold whatever happens to keep faith alive.

It'd be funny the spin that will be spun should their foundations be contradicted as they try desperately to incorporate it into their philosophy somehow.

They will eventually change their beliefs to fit the new found truth if they want to share in the teachings/technological benefits of more advanced civilizations and not be hypocrites by taking advantage of it, but there will be a section of "old skoolers" not willing to put aside their firmly held beliefs no doubt.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I tend to believe the reason why the nonhumans haven't arrived yet (if they ever do) is along the line of an adage I heard recently: They can look at the animals in the zoo, but that doesn't mean they want to get in their cages.

Too many rigid, doctrinaire people - religious AND secular - are impeding progress. Here's wishing beyond what words can express that a breakthrough can happen in spite of the insanity.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

thanks everyone for your posts,

it's very interesting to me to see that everyone has a different take on this. some think it would be a beginning or end and some believe that the religious machine will keep pumping and spreading the word.

obviously if the aliens were angels ,....religion would continue either the way it is or be straightened out if needed.

here is a very interesting video put out by the Mormon religion that shows angels as aliens travelling all over the universe. quite comical if you ask me, but what do i know ?...

www.youtube.com...

but the real question here is what if these aliens are just E.B.E. that either don't know of a God or they say they created us in a test tube or whatever.........

i think that most people that say... aliens would result in the end of religion... would subscribe to the above ideas about aliens.

i have also seen that when some of these people make this claim they sometimes change their thinking when they really think about it. they start flip flopping when the real cards are on the table so to speak.

but then there are some that are true atheist and they don't seem to waiver at all. they firmly believe that when the aliens show up they (the aliens) will prove or be proof that their is no God no matter what.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by easynow]

New answers create new questions which create new openings for believesystems. Religions as we know them will get a shock and adapt, so the story (religion) will change, because even Et's don't have all the answers. It is a unending mystery.

"God" is beyond proof. One has nothing to do with the other. For one the word "God" means something different as for another, depending on your mindframe or understanding of your reality.

I am agnostic by the way, which means I leave it all open, as unanswerable questions. But I live with a positive cosmic intent ;-)

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsSmartypants
Just don't try to tell me Jesus was an alien. I think we're confusing aliens with these interdimensional beings. Angels are interdimensional beings and I believe there are different levels of angels. Jesus was(is) the Son of God. "There are many rooms(dimensions?) in my mansion."

You demonstrated my point nicely, see the anger you felt upon reading the suggestion that Jesus was not GOD?

People say that Jesus was the "Son of God" - but are we not ALL Sons and Daughters of GOD?

Jesus was special in that he performed miracles, rose from the dead etc - and yet, he is NOT the only person in recorded history to perform those same miracles, nor is he the only dead person to come back and appear to people....

Someone else also made the point - if there is intelligent life on other planets, then did those other planets get their own "Jesus", their own "Son of God", or are we the only ones? And if other planets have had their own "Son of God" figure - then Jesus wasn't "God's Only Son", was he?

See, people are trained to think of God as a singular entity, who sent His "Only Son" to save us etc. Well, would the realization that that entire way of thinking about God is NOT accurate, that GOD is ALL, GOD is everywhere and everything, GOD is in you, me, the rocks, the trees, the animals, the planets, the stars - would it be upsetting and painful to you to realize that the beliefs you've held about God your whole life are not entirely accurate?

That GOD is not this sort of patriarchal "Father" figure up in the clouds who sends his Sons out on suicide missions, but rather the life force that is everywhere and in everyone and everything? The ONE and ALL?

I posit that the miraculous abilities demonstrated by Jesus are a function of having very advanced DNA, of being a "Prophet" or "Avatar" or "Star Child". Jesus was NOT the only one in our recorded history - and I believe that there have been lots of them on other planets as well.

Now, if these concepts I'm putting forth turn out to be true - don't you think this paradigm shift could be DEVASTATING to Christianity, Islam, Judaism....?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
i like this thead. gets a few things flying around your head. i want to believe that we as a race was helped out in some way by beings with more intellegence then our selves. there are a few things that point ot it tho. i mean in different anceint cultures pyramids were popping up all over the place and they knew nothing of each other. plus death seemed to be a theme that went with them and the transendence of the soul to the stars. forgot were it is in the world now but there are sturcutures and walls that are built like a massive jig saw puzzle. with the peices of rock PERFECTLY fitting together. like less then a milimetes gap. how can ancient cultures do that with primative tools? there are still thoeries flying around about how they did it today. i know it has to be said but what about star gates. is this something thats unimaginable to think it could have happened? in art also through out history there has been reference to "flying ships" with people in them. maybe JESUS was and alien. maybe the resurection and going beck to the heavens in a beam of light was him being beemed up to the mother ship. who knows. but it is interesting to have a good think about.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
No, "E.T." is just another creature made by the allmighty god. God is bigger than this small planet and bigger than human mind can think of. He is the universe with all it's galaxys, solar systems, suns, planets and all creatures living on them-humanoid, or not.

Amen!

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

i believe Jesus is God and have been taught this my entire life.

Exactly - the Church, the priests, and the writings in the Bible taught you, conditioned you to believe this.

But is it really accurate? Or are we ALL God? Is GOD more like an energy that is in ALL things, rather than a "Father" entity who sends His sons out on suicide missions?

how do you feel about aliens not revealing themselves because of the religious beliefs of man and how it would effect humanity in a whole ?

do you think thats why they havent shown themselves is what i am asking ?

I think that is part of the reason, yes. Trying to show the entire world the entire Truth all at once could be catastrophic. So, they prepare people more slowly. I think they are waiting for a time of, not only spiritual "readyness", but also political, economic etc....

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
We are all sons and daughters of God but God does make a distinction of Jesus being " the only begotten Son of God". I'm not going to pretend I understand what that distinction is but it is a distinction. Is it not possible that the Spirit of God decided to be born/manifested in a physical body to make Himself more easily understood by that particular intelligent lifeform, whether human or something/someone else?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Also I think it's possible that God can be one entity and many levels of entities at the same time. We are handicapped in our abilities to comprehend God as long as we inhabit a physical form. We see Him as through a glass darkly now but once we leave this physical form we will be able to understand Him in full. That's just the way it is and there's nothing we can do about it. We can postulate and search and that will have to be enough for now.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join