It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does E.T. mean the end of religion ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
thanks everyone for your posts

i am really fascinated with this topic and to see the different responses just makes me realize this is going to be something this world will have to deal with eventually.

For Christianity, Judaism and !slam the existence of aliens is especially problematic. All these religions are based on the idea of a covenant between us and God.

Possibility (ii) is more interesting. For Christians the covenant was fulfilled in the sacrifice of JC. Now if aliens had there own incarnation this would undermine the covenant we share with God and our personal saviour, 'God made man', Christ. It would have all kinds of problems for the doctrine of resurrection (do aliens and humans share the same kind of spirit, will humans get resurrected in alien bodies?

there will definately be problems for religion ; and different religions will have different problems the way i see it.

It is interesting to note that the Vatican has a research program devoted to evaluating the implications of alien life for the Christian faith

if aliens landed tomorrow I am sure that religions of all kinds would have to change, but I bet that they would fight against it, they would after all be fighting for their survival.

here is the article for anyone interested,

www.123infinity.com...
Extraterrestrial life, existence of aliens, alien life

there is alot of info on the web about this topic and i found this

www.nidsci.org...
National Institute for Discovery Science: The Impact of UFOs and Their Occupants on Religion - Response Analysis

www.ufoevidence.org...
E.T. and God: Could earthly religions survive the discovery of life elsewhere in the universe? - UFO Evidence

www.ufoevidence.org...
UFO Evidence : Religion and UFOs

[edit on 29-2-2008 by easynow]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Some feel the alien views a higher power for them, as many do. They are simply visitors. This would not cause a problem for our religions. All and everything have been created from the one. All of us around the camp fire...
On the other hand, some have said the alien has seeded our earth, molding thru future technology, and creating the modern man as we know it. They are responsible for the fabled "missing link" in our evolution, from the ape, to us. The alien would be our creator. A big problem for most.
Some feel this could be the biggest issue for any disclosure. That those in the know have felt this is the biggest problem, for those who have the most to lose, who probably wield the power to deny till the bitter end.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I dang sure hope "ET" can sufficiently replace religion, but only if we make sure we can hook up with the right ones. Yup, the biggest threat to Christians and other Abrahamics would be proof that the universe is the Creation of a/the collective, not singular intelligence(s).

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lyingunderoath

Some feel this could be the biggest issue for any disclosure. That those in the know have felt this is the biggest problem, for those who have the most to lose, who probably wield the power to deny till the bitter end.

Religion could be one of the factors holding us back and when we nave outgrown this childish world view, the ban on visiting earth will be lifted.

www.123infinity.com...

i think you may have hit the nail on the head

what if our religions are preventing aliens from making contact ?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow

some people say that aliens can scientifically prove the existence of God or a supreme being.

some people believe that the aliens are God or the supreme beings.

another possibility is aliens could show up and not know anything about it period.

If aliens were to show up one day with no idea of what god is, does that mean god does not exist? I find this to be a fascinating question. So what does happen if aliens show up? Do we through out our belief in an all powerful being?

here is a good article talking about what impact on religion aliens would have if they showed up.

hollowearth.wordpress.com...
Religion and Aliens

i have seen alot of people that dont believe in God and they always say that when the aliens show up it will be the end of religion .

i believe God created all life everywhere.

So here is my take on this. Our consciousness has developed in such a way as to personify a personal relationship with our environment. It's a very primal thing. As we look out at the rest of the animal kingdom you can see that we are not the only creatures with whom this concept of personal relationship with the other exists. What's questionable is if any other animals have abstracted it to the point in which they, like us have a personal relationship with natural phenomena and up springs the concept of deity.

So, first we have to assume that these aliens have a similar conscious construct as we do. Perhaps their evolutionary path did not contain the requisite experiences to cause, for example, a male ego. Other consciousness aspects found in humans may or may not exist in an alien culture.

Now, let's assume they have stumbled on this before, and are, shall we say, atheists. Would people believe them? I'm sure atheists would use it to justify their stance, but would believers be turned, or even worse, view them as demons?

Good question, with a myriad of complex hypothetical answers

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Last trolling post of the evening...I promise

If Im not mistaken I Think God (spiritual God not religious God) said "The letter of the law kills (as it is doing now) but the spirit gives life"

So tell me...what do you think the difference is between Religion and Spirtuality? Or do you still think they are interchangeable?

[edit on 29-2-2008 by fastwalker23]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I was brought up as a Christian, and was always taught that God created the Heavens and the Universe. . .

The Christian God forgot to mention about our superior alien brothers who could wipe humanity out on a whim. It would be a big confusion how aliens fit into their dogma and world system since there is no scripture readily available to explain Aliens.

Is there a reason for an infallible God to keep us in the dark? Is it possible for God to lie? Is remaining silent (nothing in scripture) on the issue a form of deceit? Some Christians (and many other religions) will have some serious problems when superior aliens land on the proverbial doorstep and turn out to be athiest/believe in another God.

Lets hope Jesus visited Nimbus 5 and preached the good news too.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I was brought up as a Christian, and was always taught that God created the Heavens and the Universe. . .

The Christian God forgot to mention about our superior alien brothers who could wipe humanity out on a whim. It would be a big confusion how aliens fit into their dogma and world system since there is no scripture readily available to explain Aliens.

Is there a reason for an infallible God to keep us in the dark? Is it possible for God to lie? Is remaining silent (nothing in scripture) on the issue a form of deceit? Some Christians (and many other religions) will have some serious problems when superior aliens land on the proverbial doorstep and turn out to be athiest/believe in another God.

Lets hope Jesus visited Nimbus 5 and preached the good news too.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by igor_ats

Did He? What was that which happened in Genesis *right before* God decided to wipe out earth and start again? Oh yeah, thats right the "Sons of God came down and went into the daughters of Man, bearing unto them children"

Enoch called these the "Watchers", Genesis calls them the Nephilim.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Originally posted by Does E.T. mean the end of religion?

I guess that depends on what each religion believes to be true.

One one hand, if one believes that humans are the only life in the universe, and another form of life shows up, then I guess that would give them a pretty good reason to re-think their beliefs.

On the other hand, one may already believe in life elsewhere, and I think that it would only make them believe even more that what they think is true.

Would it be the end of religion? I think not.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Americantrucker

thanks for your post,

Would it be the end of religion? I think not.

i thought the same thing at first but the more i find out about this topic the more i think it actually might be the end...depending on who exactly shows up.

On a more general level the very fact that alien life exists would mean that we are not the centre of the universe. While most religions now recognise that the earth is just a lump of rock, they still believe that WE human beings are the most important thing in creation, that we occupy a special place in God's plan. The existence of aliens would seem to make this implausible especially if they are more advanced than we are (on all levels, intellectually, spiritually) This would mean that God has acted in the development of the aliens in a way he did not act in ours, which in turn would mean that we do not occupy the paramount role in God's creation, which as I said is a fundamental idea in religions.

www.123infinity.com...

just because you may already believe life exists elsewhere doesnt mean that there wont be problems as explained in the above paragraph.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Some aliens may come from other planets and some may be interdimensional beings. Perhaps the interdimensional ones are the ones Genesis says we were made in the image of. "Let us make man in our image." That would not contradict scripture in my opinion if were true. Just don't try to tell me Jesus was an alien. I think we're confusing aliens with these interdimensional beings. Angels are interdimensional beings and I believe there are different levels of angels. Jesus was(is) the Son of God. "There are many rooms(dimensions?) in my mansion."

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrdDstrbr
As others have said, the realization of extraterrestrial life won't cause people to stop believing in GOD, the ONE, the ALL. If anything, it will glorify God so much more!!!

That said, I think religions that involve the worship of mortal beings as Gods, such as Christianity, will be dealt a devastating blow. I think Jesus, if he existed, was more likely a very powerful, very advanced "Star Child" or "Indigo Child" - a hybrid. Certainly still a very beautiful and wise and holy and revered person, but not actually GOD itself.

Such a revelation will be devastating to those who have believed all their lives, heart and soul, that Jesus actually was/IS God....

thanks for your reply MrdDstrbr,

there are alot of possibility's when you think about this subject, and i have come to the conclusion that it really depends on exactly who shows up.

i believe that no matter who shows up there will either be a real change in some religions or it could mean an end to some. the only thing that is inevitable is change.

i believe Jesus is God and have been taught this my entire life.

once again i have to say its gonna really depend on exactly wich kind of E.T. show up.

Catholics tend to regard the idea of multiple incarnations as verging on heresy, not because of its somewhat comic aspect but because it would seem to automate an act that is supposed to be God's singular gift. "God chose a very specific way to redeem human beings," writes George Coyne, a Jesuit priest and the director of the Vatican Observatory, whose own research includes astrobiology. "He sent his only son, Jesus, to them, and Jesus gave up his life so that human beings would be saved from their sin. Did God do this for extraterrestrials? ... The theological implications about God are getting ever more serious."

The theological difficulties posed by the possibility of advanced alien beings are less acute for Judaism and Islam. Muslims, at least, are prepared for ETI:

this article is an excellent read imho...

www.ufoevidence.org...
E.T. and God: Could earthly religions survive the discovery of life elsewhere in the universe? - UFO Evidence

how do you feel about aliens not revealing themselves because of the religious beliefs of man and how it would effect humanity in a whole ?

do you think thats why they havent shown themselves is what i am asking ?

[edit on 29-2-2008 by easynow]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
They're not showing up? Well maybe not an official meet and great, not yet. But perhaps they're getting us prepared by showing up here and there. I'm sure God loves all His children no matter what planet they hail from. Jesus is the Son of God and He and the Father are one.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Do you think God loves the fallen angels(interdimensional beings)?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

thanks for your post,

Some aliens may come from other planets and some may be interdimensional beings.

I think we're confusing aliens with these interdimensional beings.

it could be one or the other or both. they could be aliens from another planet that know how to traverse and manipulate the other dimensions that these angelic beings reside in.

Just don't try to tell me Jesus was an alien.

i dont believe he is an alien either...

would Jesus go to every planet that had life and die for thier sins like he did on this planet ?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsSmartypants
Do you think God loves the fallen angels(interdimensional beings)?

well i believe that he created everything in the universe so i would hope he did...

do you agree that somethings about all religions would have to change if aliens did show up ?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I read a short story once about a man who discovers that a lot of planets have a story about a messiah being born, crucified and resurrected in their past. He believes he sees a pattern in it and goes from planet to planet, trying to be there at the same time as this messiah lives. But each time he got there years too late, then months too late, then days, until finally he arrives at a planet just moments after the messiah had just left He never does arrive at a planet while the messiah is still there and in his way of thinking this prevents him from finding God.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spoodily
Here's something to think about.

What does religion have to do with the existence of "God"?

Religion in context simply means a unified body of believers in a spiritual nature shared minded understanding. Spiritual is hand and hand with the understanding of the existence of God.

That's in context. In context the word "religion" doesn't stick in your throat and make you sick. Or biblically it is written:

take of this scroll and eat it. It will taste as sweet as honey in your mouth but it will make your belly bitter.

Religion makes us sick for we've seen what stupid people in their majority rule has done to the face of the true spirituality of mankind and the origins of the creator God.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsSmartypants
I read a short story once about a man who discovers that a lot of planets have a story about a messiah being born, crucified and resurrected in their past. He believes he sees a pattern in it and goes from planet to planet, trying to be there at the same time as this messiah lives. But each time he got there years too late, then months too late, then days, until finally he arrives at a planet just moments after the messiah had just left He never does arrive at a planet while the messiah is still there and in his way of thinking this prevents him from finding God.

good story but sounds like if he continued to do what he was doing he would have eventually found God ?

why do i get the feeling that if aliens showed up you would be very determined to stick to your beliefs no matter what the facts were ?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join