It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Jesus a Magician?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
What if jesus was the greatest magician of all time?
Im probably going to get laughed at a lot with this one.
But, magicians like David Blaine and Lance Burton can make things float, I saw David Blaine float

What if Jesus perfected the craft in his missing years in the bible?

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Water into wine with dye..

Walking on water with something submerged slightly below the surface...

Making a blind person see with a stagehand and a little hocus pocus...

What else....Wasn't there something about a lepper or something?

Well anyway it was done with seaweed and a little bit of dirt

Your not crazy my friend....

Jesus wasn't real........its okay............Everthing will be alright

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
There is a magic show that does all of the miracles of Jesus in a respectful manner. Being a philosopher I doubt he would given much thought to cheap magic tricks.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The grandest trick of all was resurrecting from the dead.

I guess the Roman soldiers were in on the trick. They beat him mercilessly, put a crown of thorns on his head, nailed him to the cross, stuck a sword in his side, watched him die, and threw him in a tomb.

Three days later he was seen alive by multiple witnesses who went to their deaths with out recanting their testimony that he rose from the dead.

John was boiled alive in a pot of oil, but wouldn't change his story.

These men all were tortured horribly and gave their lives for a magic trick.

Matthew suffered martyrdom in Ethopia, killed by a sword wound.

Mark died in Alexandria, Egypt, dragged by horses through the streets until he was dead.

Luke was hanged in Greece as a result of his tremendous preaching to the lost.

John was boiled in a huge basin of boiling oil during a wave of persecution in Rome. However, he was miraculously delivered from death. John was then sentenced to the mines on the prison island of Patmos where he wrote his prophetic Book of Revelation. The Apostle John was later freed and returned to serve as a bishop in modern Turkey. He died an old man, the only Apostle to die peacefully.

Peter,was crucified upside down on an x-shaped cross, according to Church tradition, because he told his tormentors that he felt unworthy to die the same way that Jesus Christ had died.

James the Just, the leader of the Church in Jerusalem and brother of Jesus, was thrown down more than a hundred feet from the southeast pinnacle of the Temple when he refused to deny his faith in Christ. When they discovered that he survived the fall, his enemies beat James to death with a fuller's club. This was the same pinnacle where Satan had taken Jesus during the Temptation.

James the Greater, a son of Zebedee, was a fisherman by trade when Jesus called him to a lifetime of ministry. As a strong leader of the Church, James was ultimately beheaded at Jerusalem. The Roman soldier who guarded James watched amazed as James defended his faith at his trial. Later, the officer walked beside James to the place of execution. Overcome by conviction, he declared his new faith to the judge and knelt beside James to accept beheading as a Christian.

Bartholomew, also known as Nathanael, was a missionary to Asia. He witnessed about our Lord in present day Turkey. He was whipped to death for his preaching in Armenia.

Thomas was speared and died on one of his missionary trips to establish the Church in India.

Jude, another brother of Jesus, was killed with arrows after refusing to deny his faith in Christ.

Matthias, the Apostle chosen to replace the traitor Judas Iscariot, was stoned and beheaded.

Barnabas, one of the group of seventy disciples, was stoned to death at Salonica.

Paul was tortured and then beheaded by the evil Emperor Nero at Rome in A.D. 67. Paul endured a lengthy imprisonment which allowed him to write his many epistles to the Churches he had formed throughout the Roman Empire. These letters, which taught many of the foundational doctrines of Christianity, from a large portion of the New Testament.

source

Now that's a good trick!!!

[edit on 2/23/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

It must have been one of those collapsing knifes

Maybe the crown of thorns was really cotton, in the shape of thorns.

Or....

Consider this...

The whole thing was made up entirely. That would be much easier.

*sigh*

If only we knew

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
The whole thing was made up entirely. That would be much easier.

I know [read: hope] you're only kidding but this is something I hear all the time. It's the proverbial ostrich with its head in the sand. It would be so much easier if it weren't true, if we don't have to give an account, and if we really do get to play it all by our own rules. But what if it is true? Uh oh. We can't say we didn't know.

This thread reminds me of the Lord, lunatic, or liar trilemma. Either Jesus was a liar (magician), lunatic (who was flat out wrong but was deluded enough to really believe He was God incarnate), or He was who He said He was. My money is on Him being who He said He was.

On top of the figures Big Whammy mentioned (and who no serious scholar doubts existed), Jesus suffered the same fate: He died in the defense of His claims. It certainly sounds like something happened 2,000 years ago and it doesn't sound like magical slight of hand.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
All I know is holy week is a few weeks away which means I get good Friday off with pay. I am so glad they nailed that guy up.

I keep thinking, he was nailed up on good Friday and came back on Easter Sunday. If they had nailed him back up on Monday I'd be getting a four day weekend out of it.

Still, Was Jesus a magician? I doubt it.

I think he was a pretty good teacher in his day, he got allot of followers and later on the spiritual leaders of the day gave him allot of credit for stuff that never actually happened.

His birthday was stolen from the Pagans, Easter was stolen from the Pagans, Halloween was stolen from the Pagans, Hell, all the Christian holidays were stolen from the Pagans.

Either the church is lying to you or Jesus was a Pagan cause he damn sure wasn't a Christian.

I believe Jesus existed. He was the L. Ron Hubberd of his day.It's those that followed him that corrupted his teachings and turned the word into a business to enrich themselves.

Just my thoughts though.

wupy

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
He was a magician, and here's the proof.

crackle.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Sorry, but most of the Christian symbols were derived from the cross, which Rome had adopted from Paganism which was prevalent in those days. The cross cymbol was carried over by the Romans when they formed the Catholic church as a testiment to how Christ died, which in turn corrupted many of the fundamental teachings Jesus left us with.

So you're wrong saying Jesus was a Pagan. Guess you'll have to find another angle to spout your biggotry.

Enjoy your day off.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I thought Jesus was an alien.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24-2-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by martianvirus

There is possible way... I haven't seen anyone awake from the dead since I was born.
I'm not christian and don't believe all the story in the bible. It's seem unreal for me.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
"uh oh, you guys better not say that or you'll go to hell"...

Yeah, i also thought Jesus was an alien? I like that theory, cuz I just read extraterrestrials are sexy. . . and whose to say David Blaine isn't an alien? Anyways, i like the story of the bible, has a lot of good points, and teaches good moral values, But a lot of people miss this point. . . the Christian religion has a very bloody history, be it from a magician, an alien, or a cartoon character

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
WHoah
you think david blaine's sexy?

Jesus preached against religion and what if he was just an alien sent to lead us away from bad times and to give people hope in the form of Christianity?

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
"Who believes in Me will be like Me".

Simon The Magician asked the Apostles to get their "magic" for money : he only received some sort of malediction. A magician works for himself and his little worldly glory : Christ's opposite.

Just like Moses who repeatedly answers to IHVH that he can't be His man because he just can't speak in an oratory manner, and who's still celebrated by the jewish faith as the most humble man in mankind history, Yeshua always preached to act upon the Holy Spirit and NOT according to one's own ambition.

"Who believes in Me will be like Me" : believing that Yeshua was acting consistently with God's Will will make you like Him. Believing that God's will DOES NOT SUPPORT the domination of one man on any other leads one to believe (that is knowing) that the Holy Spirit PROMOTES those who seek to elevate the weak and to bring low the mighty without trying to be worldly retributed for such a holy task.

"Who believes in Me will be like Me" : Christ did what God asked him to do, drinking the cup of martyrdom included, following also the hard law of the Holy Spirit. Who acts as so will personally witness and perform miracles that the rational paradigm won't ever admit.

Human nature is primarly rooted in the law of Nature : animal, instinctual egoism.
The Nature of the Son(s) of Man is to love his (their) self-claimed ennemies and to irreductibly act to defend the "widow", the "poor", the "sinner" and the "orphan".

Who believes that acting like Christ is acting like God will act like God as acting like Christ. "Magic" will be to him a bitter sugarcoat covering his sweetsour ministry ; his despairs will be joy and his laughs taste like tears.

"Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachtani ?"

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by martianvirus
I thought Jesus was an alien.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24-2-2008 by GAOTU789]

And I thought we all were

Well, Jesus (or whatever his name really was) served his purpose. His creators were/are pleased, I think he knew there was an ulterior purpose to his being.

What he maybe didn´t realise, was how "his words" would be distorted and corrupted through the times, and what pain and misery this would eventually cause.

Was he a magician?
I think he was just "more" than the rest. And today we might be even less than then. (perhaps "might be" should be replaced with "are", but hey, its sunday and I don´t feel like going all doom and gloom today)

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
my personal belive is, that Jesus and all the other sons of the virgins from all over the world born on the 24th of dec. were not human, but either extraterestrials or Clones. they were only called miracles because to the people back then, Stuff like that were miracles, so these so called sons of god where all using some type of advanced techology to create miracles. and of course the people back then belived it was, because they could not even comprehend technology back then.

why those beings would want to bring some type of religion to this world?who knows it could be many reasons.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
was a mythical person a magician? i guess since it doesn't matter...i'll say yes.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

If the ressurection really happened, there are about 100 different historians of the time that would have recorded it. They didn't. The Bible is only for ignorant people and is not a history book at all.

[edit on 2/24/08 by RedDragon]

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I usually ask this only of devote christians but I will put it to everyone. If you were walking down the street and turned to corner and saw Jesus, let's say disguised as a bum, but you looked in his eyes and there was absolutely no doubt in your mind that this was indeed Jesus would you fall to your knees and beg forgiveness every transgression you have ever done know matter how small or would walk up and give him a hug and say so glad to meet you?

For the non-believers I will modify the question, would you suddenly recant and believe or would you just write it off as momentary lapse of judgement, shoot him the bird and be own your way laughing at your mistaken identity?

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
One of the pieces to the puzzle that never gets much attention, if any, is that Joseph descends directly out of King Soloman's line through his son Roboam. Interestingly enough, it is also Roboam, who according to the Key of Soloman was the son entrusted to make sure the Key was buried with Soloman. Now, if you've ever seen the Key of Soloman which you can see here: www.esotericarchives.com...

you'll notice that it definately is "magic" based. Or at least based on what Christians now condemn as being magic. It's odd that the such a biblical icon such as Soloman was very specifically engaged in "magic" and now, somehow that gets turned into something of the devil. *shrugs*

Anyhow...it is not unthinkable that Soloman's teachings along with his Key were passed to Roboam who in turn passed it on down the line. This would certainly create a plausible debate on whether or not Joseph was just some meek carpenter or if he played a much larger role in his son's (Jesus) childhood development, along with Jesus having many of the abilities that he did possess. Of course, such a historical path, if it were to be true, does not fit well within the typical Christian story of Jesus. The line of Jesus back to King David, typically takes the path of Mary, his mother whose lineage traces back to Mattatha, son of King David. However, it is most important to note, that God favoured the Soloman, not Mattatha as the one to ascend to King. So it is interesting, that Christianity would embrace the line coming through Mary rather than God's perferred line of Soloman which then comes through in Joseph.

It is also worthy to mention that the Key of Soloman is the foundation of virtually every pagan religion. You can find many of the practices and ritual tools mentioned in the Key of Soloman still being used and practiced today even though the circles being drawn might not be quite so intricate as a double circle combined with all of the markings. So, an individual who refers to Jesus as being a pagan, might not really be that far off of the truth.

So, yes, in my opinion, Jesus was a magnificent magician. But I am also of the opinion that his being a magician or pagan or whatever term you wish to apply to him, does not make him false nor negate his message in any way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join