It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheeple! Yeah, I'm talking about YOU!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
We're all aware that people can act like sheep, following the herd mentality. New research has found this to be literally true. In a series of experiments, scientists have determined that all it takes is a minority of 5% to influence the remaining 95% subconsciously.

Sheep In Human Clothing: Scientists Reveal Our Flock Mentality

Professor Krause, with PhD student John Dyer, conducted a series of experiments where groups of people were asked to walk randomly around a large hall. Within the group, a select few received more detailed information about where to walk. Participants were not allowed to communicate with one another but had to stay within arms length of another person.

The findings show that in all cases, the ‘informed individuals’ were followed by others in the crowd, forming a self-organising, snake-like structure. “We’ve all been in situations where we get swept along by the crowd,” says Professor Krause. “But what’s interesting about this research is that our participants ended up making a consensus decision despite the fact that they weren’t allowed to talk or gesture to one another. In most cases the participants didn’t realise they were being led by others.”

It follows that when we don't really know where to go, we tend to follow the ones that seem to know where they're going. Personally I'm not too surprised by the results of this experiment. Growing up my father tended to follow the car in front of him while driving when he got lost.

So do you know where you are going?

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Cool study. I have noticed this many times, and have even experimented casually with this myself.

Personally I feel that I can avoid this behavior most of the time. I do this by being mindful and meditative, and letting that influence my behavior more than anything.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
This is nothing new

I remember being at rave partys and private partys in the early /late 90s in Europe and being able to sway the emotional spirit of the party with my presense.

If i was all happy then that certainly influenced the people around me,if i was in a bad mood this affected people as well.

It was certainly fun to watch people being influenced

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Participants were not allowed to communicate with one another but had to stay within arms length of another person.

That is why. I'll wager that the line would not have been so quick to form if one could deliberately go to the opposite side of the hall. Thus, the experiment is flawed.

But it still has value. In situations where one must maintain social contact, has no clear place already in mind to go, and cannot communicate intentions, the crowd is easily led in any direction.

pretty basic, really

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
In other hive-mind news, researchers have found that web-sites that allow users to vote, rate or tag also influences users decisions and opinions.

Web Sites Influence Users, Even When They Don't Communicate Directly

Xia says the seemingly impersonal voting, tagging, ratings and even music catalogs offered on so-called Web 2.0 sites can influence users, not unlike more traditional written commentaries posted on blogs and in chat rooms.

“This is a new way to communicate,” he said. “It basically opens up a new horizon for letting people know what other people think. Before I could only read what one person wrote. Now I know what everyone else thinks.”

Are you more likely to read and/or agree with threads on ATS with plenty of flags and posts with plenty of stars?

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Are you more likely to read and/or agree with threads on ATS with plenty of flags and posts with plenty of stars?

the only reviews i pay attention to are customer reviews on products and stores - not on musical tastes or etc. certainly not opinions on ATS. I'm usually left scratching my head at some stars.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Hey Beach,

This posting caught my eye. I thought I had seen it before.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Does this mean you and the other poster are the sheep/followers?

Becker

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

I didn't see that one. Besides I chose my article from a sci/tech news source... don't really follow regular news... same story/different names.. very dull.

But thanks for linking it

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

I'm more likely to ignore threads with tons of stars because they are generally sensationalized rubbish.

Its a sad indictment that some of the best threads ive read lately that are well researched and have a good write up from the OP get very few flags.

top topics

join