It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members & Mods: Forum Applause & Respected Foes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
lol, i feel like such a dummy now. i too thought the automated u2u meant that i shouldnt bug the moderator by thanking them for an applause.
So a big thank you to all.

sometimes i'm soooo thick....

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This isn't worth making a new post over but thought I would add this here if it helps anyone. Figured this out about a month ago. When you update a post multiple times for spelling, grammar, or just to change a few things you know it will look like this for however many times you make an edit:

[edit on 2/6/2008 by AshleyD]

Pretty messy. But when you edit the post you can scroll down to the very end and you will see where the "[edit on 2/6/2008 by AshleyD]" already exists in the text box. If you delete it on your second and subsequent updates before submitting your edit, you'll never have more than one edit notice on any of your threads. It helps make the post look cleaner instead of having multiple edit notices.

And if that is not allowed for any reason let me know and I will stop doing it, even in spite of my O.C.D. that compels me to do such things.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I don't have any foes. Sure, i have a few members who have placed me on their "respected foes" list but I don't. It might sound trite, but I try to respect everyone and, as far as "foes" go, I don't consider anyone a foe. There are just people who don't agree with me and, well, that's OK.

As far as responding to an "applause" with an appreciative "thanks", all I can say is that it's always nice to receive a little thank you note in response. It sure beats the alternative!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I have a couple of members that I just cannot agree with their views. These are my foes. I am not saying that their views are wrong, I just do not agree with them. I take it the exact same way when someone foes me too. They probably just cannot agree with my point of view but they may not feel that I am wrong they just don't agree with it.

Ah if only my roommate were this civil

Yep and as far as your edit problem goes, I have found that if I have to edit multiple times the same thing happens but just delete the previous "edit" notification and it will look much more clean.

[edit on 2/6/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
As the other Mods already said - a "thank you" is never frowned upon. If you compare the amount of "I hate your guts!" and "Screw you for hitting me with a 1-liner" U2Us with the amount of "Thank you's" we receive then you'll understand why a "thank you" is special for us. Personally I have all my "thank you’s" gold plated and display them in the staff lounge. (Although every time I'm reprimanded for moving the furniture around.)

It seems like people believe Staff don't like getting U2Us because we're "flooded" with them. This is not true. Any staff member is only a U2U away, and every U2U is read with equal time and devotion. Not all U2Us get a response, but that doesn't mean that they're ignored or thrown out of the door.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
pfft, last time I tried to thank a mod for an applause, I got back "no no, no need to thank me, you earned it."

But I will take this opportunity to honestly thank all of you who have given me applause in the past. I was really under the same exact impression. I didn't think you guys wanted to be bothered. But since new light has been shed on this subject, I will make a point to do so in the future. I might also point out that your overall stinginess with applause make them quite special when they do come. It's why they come sometimes I have never been able to figure out.

Vagabond has only ever applauded me once, for example....over a one-liner.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I might also point out that your overall stinginess with applause make them quite special when they do come.

Exactly. If applauses were handed out left and right, then what would be the point. If you do get an applause it's because you made someone go "Oh Yeah!", "I couldn't have said it better myself!" or "Genius!!!"...

The problem is however that you can become addicted to them. At one stage I was - as they say - "an applause prostitute" (to put it nice). I couldn't get enough. I nearly refused the offer to be on the staff because I couldn't get applauses anymore.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I have one person on my foes list. I have no idea why they are there. I am going to remove them!!

As for the appulses. I too have not sent a quick - Cheers for that! - u2u 2me 2u, because of the generated response thingy.

So for the ones I've had *Ta very much* and for the future... Hmmmm lets just wait and see shall we.

MonKey

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
i have no one on my foes list, and i don't think i am on anyone else's. but i would not be insulted by it one bit.

but the iggy button would irritate me. i don't find myself that offensive (but jerks never do).

the only reason i flag people as friends is because i want to make sure i draw my attention to their posts (they get that little green banner on their avatar). it in no way indicates who i "like". I am not really here to "like" anyone...even though it is hard sometimes not to.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Somebody added me to their foe list once. I was excited -- "Woohoo! My first foe!".

I sent the person a message, "Woohoo! My first foe!"

The person replied back, "Ooops, sorry! Wrong button" then added me as a friend.

Bummer.

I also feel kind of bummed that WolfofWar left me out of his foe list.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
lol, i feel like such a dummy now. i too thought the automated u2u meant that i shouldnt bug the moderator by thanking them for an applause.
So a big thank you to all.

sometimes i'm soooo thick....

Me too, I feel the ungrateful tyke now...English too of course so I don't take compliments very well at all.

Thanks for asking the question AshleyD, you have helped clear this up for many of us too uptight to ask

Mods prepare for a barrage of Thank yous

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Please remove me too from the Thankless Applause List...

A Hearty and LATE Thank you to every MOD and ADMIN that has ever given me an APPLAUSE!!!!

You are a wonderful group and far too much of what you do goes unnoticed..

(Shame on me for never saying thank you as I am the President of the Butt Kissers Club)

Semper

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Well, i made it to his

I think its great; it means he's actually reading my threads

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Well, i made it to his

I think its great; it means he's actually reading my threads

i would differ on that conclusion

WolfofWar, i think made a blanket action of systematically promoting themself as a "Foe".... probably starting with all members with more than , say, 500 posts (follow my train of thought)

Thinking themself to be a clandestine antagonist, forever popping up in the periphery...
just as the 'smoking-man' does with Fox Mulder in the TV series
So too is the aura that our clandestine watcher 'WolfofWar' on ATS, wishes to project

of course i could just be paranoid, on top of being schizophrenic

[edit on 8-2-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Just looked at WolfOfWar's foe's list. Now that is freaking funny!

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Originally posted by chissler
It is perfectly acceptable to respond to the staff member who awarded the Applause.

Great, thanks. I felt so bad not being able to say thank you and that I was being rude by ignoring it. Is this a general sentiment of the other mods or do they get annoyed by it?

I appreciate members who say thanks.
Of course, thanks aren't necessary, but it's nice to get positive feedback from members

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
oh great, now i feel even more ungrateful than usual. lucky me, i transcended guilt many years ago.

[edit on 8-2-2008 by scientist]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, in the reverse direction of the way the flow is going, I'd just like to re-thank all the members who get the applause from us Mods for writing such informed stuff that it grabs our attention and adds to ATS in such a positive way!

As for my foes....

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Originally posted by AshleyD
Do you get insulted when you are added to someone's foe list? It sounds like a compliment because it is described as "respected" foes who "keep me on my toes" but apparently some take it as an insult or use it to insult others they add. What are your thoughts? Do you get insulted when someone adds you to their list or does it mean that even though they do not agree with you, they still respect your opposing and well thought out view?

Hi AshleyD,
Here are my thoughts.
When I received the first U2U that let me know that XXXXXX has just added me to his/hers respected foe list, I was in a way a bit surprised and thought naïve as I sometimes can be, he that must be a mistake.
But apparently it wasn’t, thus so be it.
It don’t give me in any way the feeling as being insulted, and it also don’t give me the feeling that even though he/she do not agree with me, he/she still respect my opposing and well thought out view.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
One thing I think is important:

Getting applause does not necessarily mean we agree with your views.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join