It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members & Mods: Forum Applause & Respected Foes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Yup - he made me a foe.

quelle surprise.

does this mean I made it?

Now I can have a proper tin foil hat instead of this doily with some string attached to keep it on?

[edit on 12/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Questions for Moderators: We are told not to reply to applause notices from moderators and that seems fair so you don't get flooded with U2U's. Maybe it's my Southern upbringing but it feels so ungrateful not to say, "Thank You." Do you get annoyed because it's like being sent a 'thank you card' in response to a 'thank you card' or is it acceptable every once in a while? It feels so rude not to show appreciation but I don't want to annoy anyone, either.

Someday you`ll be a Mod and wont have to worry about that anymore because you dont get anymore applause

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Slow on the draw there?

And yes, I do tend to send a Thank You U2U as you well...well, I guess you don't know. But then again neither does intrepid nor FredT. Actually that could become a very long list

As for the foes thing, I have a hard enough time hitting the friend button so not to offend others. And yeah AshleyD was there some time before becoming a Mod.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Question for Members: Do you get insulted when you are added to someone's foe list? It sounds like a compliment because it is described as "respected" foes who "keep me on my toes" but apparently some take it as an insult or use it to insult others they add. What are your thoughts? Do you get insulted when someone adds you to their list or does it mean that even though they do not agree with you, they still respect your opposing and well thought out view?

Hi AshleyD, here is how I think about it.
I am added by some ATS members to their foe list.
Do I have a problem with that, or find it in a way insulting, no.
Do I put them therefore on my foe list, no.
But because a coin has always two sides, there are two options about the meaning of putting someone on the so called “respected foe” list.

1. They put you on their list because they do not agree with you, but despite that still respect your opposing and well thought out view, so those see you as there “respected opponent”.

2. They put you on their list because they do not agree with you and have also absolutely no respect for your opposing and well thought out view, so those see you as there “foe”.

I personally experience their meaning as I said in option 2, because in my Dutch thinking I read the word foe more as enemy and not opponent?
So for me, the “respected foe” list may be deleted.

Or, to end discussions like this [not meant disrespectful in any way], it could be handy for both parties if there were two crystal clear options available.

For option 1; “my respected opponent”.
For option 2; “my foe”.

Just my two Eurocents.

[edit on 11/11/09 by spacevisitor]

[edit on 11/11/09 by spacevisitor]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Question for Members: Do you get insulted when you are added to someone's foe list? It sounds like a compliment because it is described as "respected" foes who "keep me on my toes" but apparently some take it as an insult or use it to insult others they add. What are your thoughts? Do you get insulted when someone adds you to their list or does it mean that even though they do not agree with you, they still respect your opposing and well thought out view

I really notice it long enough to read who it was and I'm on to the next thing. barely notice. Getting a direct insult, in the course of a discussion?
Very cool.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join