It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice from the pros please. Re: Handguns

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
hey no one ever mentioned the HK USP .45 tHIS IS A FINE WEAPON
ive never had a jam nor misfire even after it was submerged in mud.
it can be a bit expensive. but it will be the last hand gun you will buy.
i got mine from turners outdoorsman on sale 500 bucks

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by VARIABLE18bravo

USP is a great gun if you have very large hands, but if you don't and still want a HK... Get the new P30, same reliability with suberb ergonomics

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
.44 Mag will have more energy than .357 mag, but will it make a difference? I doubt it, both are just fine. But .357 gives you either a smaller frame or more ammunition...

sure, sure, this does not really belong in this thread, but, there are certain *statiscitcal* recommendations, if you can call them that, cough *Mxxxxxxxl+Sxxxw* which show the .357 on the top with 95+% one shot stops and the .44 mag somewhere in the 70% range, iirc.

that's of course nonsense, so don't trust anything unless it's transparent to you. same for overpenetration worries, focusing on that issue alone will lead to bad decisions, ie. fast, ultra light weight bullets, which will only work as advertised if all goes well and the target is cooperating.

responding to

Originally posted by Muddyrider

Whatever you get take the time to get the right ammo for home defense. You don't want a bullet that will go through your walls all the way through your house and maybe even next door.

if you really really wanted to avoid that you'd basically need frangible ammunition (or close to it, think of .223 JSP). the only way to achieve enough performance would in this case be a rifle caliber, ie. ask the two posters with M4s.

[edit on 7.2.2008 by Long Lance]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
In my humble opinion, if you have kids and are getting this for home defense, use your shotgun instead, it is safer in close quarters. Also a whole lot easier to hit your target in a oh crap I have to shoot this SOB situation. If you are looking for an everyday concealed weapon then a handgun is what you want. Make sure you get out and shoot the crap out of whatever you get, know it inside and out.

As for ammo I use corbon, and I love it. I used to use federal hydro shocks, but found the corbon shot better out of my gun. I carry an HK .40, it was the gun that best fit my hands, but I am switching to glock, as I like the trigger system alot better.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Everyone has a valid point about the guns suggested - and they are all good. Me, personally, I like military handguns, and I have found that the Russian Makarov is an excellent 9mm pistol. I use either Russian Military or Chinese Military rounds for normal shooting practice, and I have a few boxes of hollow points for just in case I really really need to protect myself and my family against very bad odds. The few things I like about the Makarov are:
(1) Its relatively small and can fit just about anywhere on me - but I prefer to keep it on my side using the leather belt holder it comes with
(2) Easy to get clips for it - I can spend a whole day at a shooting range and never use the same clip twice, I have so many of them
(3) Easy to maintain and clean
(4) Hardly ever misfires using Russian and Chinese ammunition - it DOES however misfire using some of the more popular brands of cheap US 9mm ammo, so spend the extra money on good ammo
(5) Easy to clear a misfire
(6) As accurate today as it was on day one
(7) Recoil is managable - even smaller women can use it without being knocked over
(8) Inexpensive - from the low $100's to about $600, depending on make and year

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Personally, I'd go with a revolver. Less can go wrong. I own several semi auto pistols, and several revolvers. I have shot them all many times.

As already stated, the Hi-point pistols, though inexpensive, are good guns. I own a 9MM and 45 ACP Hi point brand guns. Shot many rounds of different brand ammo through both without any trouble at all.

I own two 38 special revolvers, a 357 magnum, and a 44 magnum as well.

The best for personal defense in my book? A good old fashioned 357 magnum revolver. You can fire 38 special rounds through it, if the recoil &flash are to much for you, but it shouldn't be, really. The 44 magnum is far worse as far as recoil goes, and fast follow up shots are a little harder. The 38 is a good weapon as well.

With the 357 mag. revolver, you have excellent power...it packs a big punch, they have taken down big game such as deer &bear before with well placed shots. An affordable Brand to look at, while still being a quality gun, is Taurus. I have shot all three Taurus guns that I own more than I can count, with zero malfunctions, or problems, and I have shot heavy/hot loads through these guns.

So lets say you opt for a 357, I'd recommend 125 grain hollow point ammo.

I bought my 357 used, (not abused) from a gun dealer for $250, beautiful condition, 4 in. barrell. I love it. It's a model 66, adjustable rear sights, 6-shot. I played with the rear adjustment a bit, and the gun is accurate as hell.

the 357 magnum would be my choice handgun.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I am changing my stance on posting advice almost anywhere on the internet because I think this latest school shooter used this exact example of advice to purchase his guns.

From now on there will never be any gun buying advice from me on any forum because I feel guilty that I may have contributed to the deaths of many people, if the posters in the future need advice I suggest they go buy a book.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lotiki

I won't get into does the clerk have the "right" to shoot at the perp in that video but he was extremely careless. I am in total disbelief that he would fire from an awkward angle with his weight not centralized with a freakin toddler about 2 inches from his line of fire! I mean WTF man?! That is the type of person who gets innocent people killed. Way too gung ho and no safety ftl.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
250 is not going to get you much. CDNN has some decent .40SW Smith Wessons for 280 or so.....But honestly....Buy a Glock 21SF. If you can afford it Get the HK45. I have each and love them. That simple

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
While it may be a bit above your stated price of $250, I love my Glock 21 (.45 ACP). Glocks are known for their toughness and dependability. I bought mine brand new and fired close to 800 rounds through it without cleaning it and never had a malfunction of any kind. Plus, the magazines are double stacked, so I can carry 13 rounds in a single mag as opposed to a weapon with a single stacked magazine (like my Sig Sauer P220). I like tha .45 ACP because of its stopping power. I noticed someone else post not to waste money on a cheap weapon and I would like to say that the same holds true for ammunition. Cheap ammunition tends to burn a lot less cleanly than higher quality ammunition. I would reccomend Winchester ammunition for personal defense and practice use. It's inexpensive and is good quality. I carry it with me on duty, so I trust my life to it. I do realize that I have big hands, so the Glock 21 may not be comfortable for you, so I would suggest looking at the Glock 21SF. Just my personal opinion on the matter because choosing a weapon that suits you is very much a personal choice.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by deputydawg611]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Take a look at a 357 Magnum with a 4" or 6" barrel. The reason you want a revolver for defense is that it is simple and even if you've never seen a gun, it only takes 15 seconds to learn how to use one. Automatic pistols, on the other hand, can be more finicky and difficult to operate if there is a malfunction. Some with less strength in their hands, or the accident-prone, can actually be hurt trying to use one if the slide bites their fingers or slams back into a knuckle if they're not holding it right.

The 357 Mag is a great cartridge... plenty powerful to give a bad guy a real bad day, and the neat thing about owning a 357 is that you can practice with 38 special rounds, which are quieter and have less recoil, so they're easier on your hands.

You can find a Rossi 357 for about $325 new if you look around.

www.ableammo.com...

One last thing... if you've got kids that are old enough, the best way to make it safe to have a gun in the house is to take them to the range and show them how to use it.

Once your sons and daughters know how to handle a firearm responsibly, you no longer have to worry if they're playing with the gun when they're home alone.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by ianr5741]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ianr5741

Excellent point. When a revolver fails to fire, all you have to do is squeeze the trigger again. With a semiautomatic weapon, you have to clear the failed round out manually. Seems easy in theory, but under stress, this process can be overwhelming for someone who hasn't been trained to do it under pressure. Speaking of revolvers... Taurus makes a revolver that I think would be perfect for home defense. It's called "The Judge". It fires either .410 shot shells (3 in. or 2.5 in.) or .45 Colt rounds. I haven't fired one personally, but it seems like it would be well suited for home defense, especially with the .410 shot loaded. You could also alternate loading it with the .45 and .410 shells.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is if you choose a non-revolver, it's extremely important to have multiple magazines. Of all the misfires i've had in my life (m-16 and m-9), all but one were failures to feed due to worn out springs in the magazine. I've heard, and believe that keeping a loaded magazine over a long period of time wears out the spring that feeds the bullets into the chamber. Maybe one of you folks can tell me if this is fact or myth. I don't leave it to chance and rotate magazines regularly.

I'm trained but by no means have the experience of other posters here. I have two firearms in my house a 9mm taurus pt111 and a mosberg 12 guage that i bought (my money my grandads name on the receipt) when i was 12 or 13. The 12 guage stays by my bed and the 9mm is more secure (only been that way since i've had a kid). The last thing an intruder wants to hear is me racking a round in my old mossberg. Another reason I like my mossberg as a last line of defense is that it is solid enough that if i awoke as an intruder was entering my room a butt-stroke-to-the-head would maybe buy me the time to finish racking a round and do what I have to.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by jefwane]

[edit on 18-4-2008 by jefwane]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I am sorry if this was already said...but its late and I can't even think right so I DID NOT read any of the posts except for the OP's. If this weapon is going to be used a majority of the time for home protection don't even bother with a pistol. A good 18" 12 gauge shotgun is the answer. They are cheap, VERY effective, and under stress (such as being burglarized) its a point and shoot weapon rather then aim and shoot.

Under stress and fear/excitement your motor skills will slow, tunnel vision begins and the ability to aim and shoot become difficult. With a shotgun it eliminates much of that, just point and BOOM...you WILL hit what your pointing at. Especially with a good buck shot load. This way the wife or kids can use it too...very minimal training and minimal skill needed.

Just my thoughts...but in MOST cases...shotguns are THE BEST home invasion weapons on the planet! Well aside from a pissed of shepard or pitbull..

Plus the stopping power of a shorgun makes a pistol seem like a BB gun...

[edit on 4/18/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Off topic but had to comment!

I have a Shepherd and a pitbull

I'm in the market too. I'm torn between a 9mm and a .45

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluByWho
Off topic but had to comment!

I have a Shepherd and a pitbull

I'm in the market too. I'm torn between a 9mm and a .45

Nice...then I wouldn't want to come walking in your house at 3am!!!

As for pistol caliber....I have seen people take 3 rounds of 9mm and keep on the offensive. If your shots are not well places 9mm may not get the job done. Especially if the person is high on any kind of upper (pcp, lcd, etc)!!! .45 has the stopping power...so does .40 and .357 SIG.

All I know is my Remington 870 is what keeps my home safe and sound!!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

I'm really leaning towards a model 1911 .45. I have yet to fire a 9mm handgun. I shot a .22 handgun, while easy to aim with zero recoil I felt as if I was shooting a pellet gun. When I was at the shooting hole I couldn't put my buddies .45 down, I must have fired off 200 rounds in a row. I only anticipate owning 2 guns. One handgun and one rifle, and maybe a shotgun of some sort for the trap shooting nearby to my home.

If you broke into my home the pitbull would probably greet you as if you were his best friend, man those dogs are misunderstood, he just offers the intimidation factor because most everyone is afraid of them. The shepherd on the other hand does not allow anybody to enter my home unannounced, myself or my girlfriend have to let you in, or call the dog off, or in a sitX not call the dog off

[edit on 18-4-2008 by BluByWho]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by shug7272
I would like a powerful handgun that is reliable and durable. I would like to stay around the 250 dollar range but would be willing to spend a little more if it made alot of difference. I dont want a bb gun, I want one with some nice stopping power behind it. I will mainly be using it at the range but in case of a home intrusion I would want one shot to be enough to stop them from harming my family. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am well trained in firing guns but not knowledgeable at all as far as caliber, brand etc. Thanks alot in advance.

ok i seen lots of people saying go glock 9mm, why because its popular. someone said a 22 lol maybe it the range you could hit a quarter every time but back on topic. middle of the night,dark mind you you wand knock down power why would you choose 9mm over .45 i will never know. glocks are great and all that but if you want one shot in the dark knock down power, you would most likely go for a body shot in the dark and to me the knock down pistol is a .44 or .45 if you want to play at the range then 9mm is fine but if you want to protect your family and you need knock down power go big, and if you are an amateur i recommend a revolver.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by shug7272

hey man let me tell ya $250 is a little low for a dnew handgun, any caliber from a 380 to a 45 will stop some one if u shoot them in the right spot, but i prefer 40 cal-fragments on impact, pretty much just makes a mess of ur adversary and 357 magnum-maximum penetrative power-can go through car doors
as for brands i would go with taurus, ur lookin to spend around 360 brand new at the least, taurus.com check it out
or u could go with glock which is about $500 but well worth it glock safe action pistols.com

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

What you said, Semper.

My choice is a plain old vanilla S and W .38special. No frills, no bells and whistles. It goes bang when I want it to, and I hit what I aim at. I'm buying two speed loader for it shortly as well. If I need something with a bit more oooomph, I've got a double barrelled 12 guage with #8 bird shot. No over penetration, and the target will know it's been hit.

In home defence, KISS principle applies.

Ultimately, however, it's what you are comfortable with. Both in usage and your pocketbook.

Good luck.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join