It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice from the pros please. Re: Handguns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Go with a Beretta PX4. If your lucky you can find them as low as $375.

Not only are they reliable but they are very nice to the eye and come in a variety of calibers. The ammos you use is just as important in a home defense situation.

Also,
If you havent already, take a basic pistol course. You may know most the stuff but it still helps get the basics down so you dont shoot yourself in the foot.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AndrewTB

PX4 is a great weapon, some of the reviews have been very promising, plus mixing it with CX4 carbine would make sense in some situations as the combo would give you a reach out to 100m, if SHTF...

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lotiki

3) The .22 and 9mm are "pea shooters" and do not incapacitate the target

Untrue. The vast majority of people killed with handguns are killed with .22's and 9mm.

.22 will kill, given enough hits and time, but won't incapacitate quickly enough.

9mm depends more on the load and bullet design and focusing on overpenetration is not a good idea, f-ex. 115gr hollowpoint at high velocities might run into problems when heavier bones are hit (think upper arm of a person standing at a very oblique angle). you cannot count on always hitting your target either and when you miss, the entire concept of overpenetration flies out of the window.

by the same token, there's a wealth of phoney 'stopping power' statistics on the web, some of these are ridiculous and obviously nonsensical, because a .44 mag with a larger, heavier bullet at the same velocity simply has to be more powerful than a .357 mag, no matter if certain popular statistics say otherwise. iow, there's a boat load of urban legends regarding firearms.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
.44 Mag will have more energy than .357 mag, but will it make a difference? I doubt it, both are just fine. But .357 gives you either a smaller frame or more ammunition...

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have to agree with the pervious posts of the Glocks being great guns, however as a owner of a Glock and several other handguns, I have recently discovered the baby desert eagle and I have to say that it is now my favorite handgun. I have both 9mm and .40 cal handguns, I think that I like the .40 a little better than the 9mm. With the weight of baby eagle and the .40 cal round it makes for a nice feel.

IMHO

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
By the way Baby DE is known as Jericho outside of the USA. And it's mainly a reshaped Tanfoglio P19 that on the other hand is a slightly modified CZ-75... Any of the mentioned are great guns and my personal favorites (own a CZ, friend has P19 and Jericho)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The last 2 were meant to be jokes. I can't tell you how many people I have come across online who claim the glock 18 is the best glock ever made because it's fully automatic.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by shug7272

Shug . If you are looking for a handgun for home protection then I would strongly recommend a revolver of the caliber of 357 mag . You can rely on a revolver over an auto anytime . I highly recommend the taurus 686 . And also shot placement is key ! Keep a short barreled 12 gauge shotgun close at hand also . You cant miss with a scattergun . Good Luck ............

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Combatmed1
Am I the only person here whose "bed-side weapon" is a Bushmaster M4 Carbine w/a picatinny rail system topped w/an Eotech holographic sight???? Because if I am......

No, you are not. Though minus the rail system and holographic sight, that's my choice for home protection. I don't care what anyone says, 5.56Nato is a great round.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Left to right are: 22, 25, 32, 380, 9mm, 357 SIG, 38, 357, 40, 45, & 223 rifle ammo for comparison

Source

[edit on 4-2-2008 by Lotiki]

This edit is for Memory Shock

Self-moderation is probably the best kind.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Friendly suggestion (not even illegal as i'm not from the USA) prepare for the LEs having body armor when they knock at your door. And you know what that means? FMJ is the way to go... or try to get some swedish 9mm surplus rounds as they have a nice steel core but aren't marked as AP rounds
(joke, i do not endorse shooting at cops in any situation (unless they shoot me first) )

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Everybody has listed great guns and calibers but each person is very different may i suggest that you go to a big named sporing good store(more seletions) and find a model that fits in your hand either a revolver or auto loader after you find one that feels comfortable in your hands then see what caliber it is available in and go from there. you will find out that just because one guy tells you to buy one kind of gun dont mean that you will like it because we all have different shooting styles and abilities in handling firearms. now with that said i'll tell you what i like,Im a big fan of rugers i have two by my bed a .357 laoded with.38's for my wife and a .40 for myself

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Friendly suggestion (not even illegal as i'm not from the USA) prepare for the LEs having body armor when they knock at your door. And you know what that means? FMJ is the way to go... or try to get some swedish 9mm surplus rounds as they have a nice steel core but aren't marked as AP rounds
(joke, i do not endorse shooting at cops in any situation (unless they shoot me first) )

Yep, and aim for the face. Best way to get the message across.

Let me also state, that it is because of this type of treatment that we need to better arm ourselves agains Law Enforcement:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I haven't seen it recommended yet, but if its solely for home protection I recommend a shotgun. You dont run anywhere near as much risk killing an innocent bystander as long as you use the right ammo.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
An inexpensive 357 magnum. For target practice you could use 38 special ammo. The muzzle blast from a 357 load is most unpleasant even with hearing protectors. ----------------PC

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This thread has taken a turn for the worse and needs to be closed.The OP has gotten the information he was looking for and the names of people he can PM for mor info.

How in the hell did we get from "help a newbie choose a decent home defense pistol", to "in case the law enforcement is wearing body armor, aim high" posts?!?!?!?

Originally posted by Quazga

I want me one of those hollow points so when the po po break down the wrong door with a no-knock warrant I can take at least the first 2 or three out knowing they will never be able to do that again.

I'm really not all that concerened about the common criminal element... it's the cock-sure enemy known as cops which are more of a problem in today's society.

I'm not really all that concerned with the cops breaking down the wrong door. Are you really gonna try to kill cops because you don't have you address marked well? What the hell do you think they are gonna do when they realize they have the wrong house? Are they gonna say," Well crap guys, that was a bad mix-up. We might as well rape this guys wife, kill him and put his dog in the microwave." What would they do that warrants you "taking out 2 or three", as well as getting yourself killed?

I would be more worried about the "cock-sure" internet tough guys that talk about how much they need those hollowpoints and just can't wait to kill a couple cops over a simple mistake that is most likely THEIR fault.

These kinds of posts make all gun owners look like crazy maniacs who just cant wait to pop off a couple cops.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by Lotiki]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lotiki

Body armor piercing shells would be still available for the reloader in the form of all steel bullets. However, for the untrained, shot shells are ok for a 357 magnum. You can get 5 or 6 double odd pellets in a load. May be available otc. Please don't shoot at or aim weapons at the police. If they break in illegally just sue them.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
As a proud gun owner, I have several different brands in my collection. It's more of a personal choice. I agree with the good review from the Glock, but I have to mention that the gun I use on a daily bases is a Springfield XD-40. It's Glock based and I could flood this page with back up. It's neck and neck with the Glock, but my gun is ported (Holes in the barrel) and my wife can use it with out the nasty recoil from a large gun. My best recommendation is, find some friends that has guns, and asked them if you can try them. Any gun owner would love an excuse to take a friend to the shooting range.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

It may cost a bit more, but if you truly have your heart set on a pistol and you dont mind paying about 400$, I have to second the Glock 9mm.

one more vote for the glock 9. also, despite being "bad" advice, I also suggest looking into getting a black-market gun as well, just in case the gestapo looks up your gun registration and takes it away... you'll still have a burner hidden away for protection against all enemies.. foreign and domestic

that being said, I LOVE my competition sig40, although it's not as portable as the glock.

p.s. speaking of exotic ammo...

it's all about the black talons:
www.thegunzone.com...

[edit on 5-2-2008 by scientist]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

This thread has taken a turn for the worse and needs to be closed.The OP has gotten the information he was looking for and the names of people he can PM for mor info.

How in the hell did we get from "help a newbie choose a decent home defense pistol", to "in case the law enforcement is wearing body armor, aim high" posts?!?!?!?

Originally posted by Quazga

I want me one of those hollow points so when the po po break down the wrong door with a no-knock warrant I can take at least the first 2 or three out knowing they will never be able to do that again.

I'm really not all that concerened about the common criminal element... it's the cock-sure enemy known as cops which are more of a problem in today's society.

I'm not really all that concerned with the cops breaking down the wrong door. Are you really gonna try to kill cops because you don't have you address marked well? What the hell do you think they are gonna do when they realize they have the wrong house? Are they gonna say," Well crap guys, that was a bad mix-up. We might as well rape this guys wife, kill him and put his dog in the microwave." What would they do that warrants you "taking out 2 or three", as well as getting yourself killed?

I would be more worried about the "cock-sure" internet tough guys that talk about how much they need those hollowpoints and just can't wait to kill a couple cops over a simple mistake that is most likely THEIR fault.

These kinds of posts make all gun owners look like crazy maniacs who just cant wait to pop off a couple cops.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by Lotiki]

You obviously don't live in Atlanta. Have you seen what happens to little old ladies when no-knock warrants are served based on false information from known drug users?

www.washingtonpost.com...

I don't know about you, but I really don't know what else to think? I haven't seen a LEO save a cat from a tree in ages. I haven't even heard of a LEO protecting someones rights... they all act out of fear. Yeah it's conditioned, and yeah they have a rough job, but either do it right, or find another job. There is no excuse for happily trampling on the rights of people.

They are just lucky this woman wasn't muslim.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I can just sense the anger from the muslims in my neighborhood. had this happened here, it would not have been a pretty sight, and everyone would understand.

When this happens all it does it make people angry and defensive. And it will cause more cops to get hurt, but people don't see this. Just like the US having a presence in the ME causes people to get hurt, but no one really sees this or cares.

So I say, if you are going to fight a hegemonic entity, you gotta be more hegemonic in the process.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join