It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God Have A Split Personality, Or Is There More Than One Supreme Being?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
As Above So Below, As Below So Above is a teaching from a truly ancient belief system called Hermetics, likely the oldest known form of spiritual/philosophical teaching. It would seem that from Hermetics have risen all of the major religions, as many of their core teachings are predated by Hermetic teachings. You may find the reading very fascinating of the anonymously authored mysterious little book known as The Kybalion (it's googlin' time!).

The "as above . . ." principle's basic implication seems to be that whatever function is required on one level is actually the principle required on all levels (Bill Gates, being extremely wealthy, still has to tie his shoe just like a bum living under a bridge, that type of thing). So, maybe kindness and compassion might be required on all vibratory levels of existence to ascend to the next level. Or maybe some might say that since lust for power and wealth is a deep, underlying problem for the human being (as below), there must also be some deep, underlying darkness about First Source (as above)...might this be where "the devil" comes in?

But then this all seems to assume that God is nothing more than the ultimate ascended amoeba. Perhaps there may be a lot more to comprehending God than we can solve in a few pages of limited resources coming under critical examination . . .

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by earthchild

If the Scriptures teach that only God the Father is to be prayed to, then that is to whom that believer should pray. The Christ in Matthew 6:9 instructed, "This, then, is how you should pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, ..." This tells me that Jesus is not attempting to ever be prayed directly to. According to the same New Testament, the purpose of the Messiah is to be a link from human to God, someone speaking on human behalf to what may very well be the same Rage and Calamity of the Old Testament Energy, only now buffered by the Christ. The last portion of the previous sentence is my personal translation of it, not substantiated by any links. But if the OT God is angry and killing people, and the NT God being represented by the Christ is not, then that may be why. And it may not.

As for the Trinity serving as the split-personality of God, according to the source of the Trinity discussion to begin with -- the bible -- all three Personalities are in complete and total agreement with one another at all times, we do not find them at odds in the texts. The main difference seems to be in function more than anything else. The Son would serve as the manifestation of the unknowable Core (Father) of all existence into the physical realm, and the Holy Spirit would then serve as internal guide/conscious to those who choose to accept this way of belief. Bickering gods are not found at top-level biblical Hierarchy.

We may all very well be sons (and daughters) of God, but if one adheres to the New Testament, it is only those who follow the teachings of the Christ who fall under that term. This is in direct response to your question, not what you should or shouldn't believe . . . that's your personal business.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
By the looks of things and the various evidence provided by religious texts would support that in fact there was more than one god way back when. As a young one once, I too left the flock because of various verses that could not be answered properly and the idea of god stating that he is a jealous god and that we should only worship him and no others just did not sit well with me. Still doesn't.

I look at things in this way, since we were given free will of choice, then any god that tells me that I was born a sinner cause of the faults of others, that I must follow his rules to get in heaven and so on. Well that is just not free will of choice.

Truth is there is so much mis-truth in all religons of this world and really they smell of Over Lords from beyond this world. Heck, I really get a chuckle when so called organized religions say that others beliefs are cults and then you look up cult and see that by definition every religion on this world is a cult, just makes you wonder. It is all about what they try to teach us early on and how well that teaching (programing) takes to us or not.

Now I do not want any to think I do not believe in some sort of supreme being, but it sure is not what is defined on this world. But, I do respect all who desire to believe in whatever you want to believe, cause that is of course your free will of choice.

Interesting final comment, my grown offspring all were raised with the free will of choice to choose whatever they wish to believe or whatever religion that they might have chosen and yet none of them choose one to follow and are living very productive and what others would say moral (good) lives. None of us fear any god or worry about matters pertaining to our eventual physical deaths.

Be In Peace.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I talk with a very religous guy at work sometimes, about things like this... he goes to church every sunday, never misses a mass or anything.. i asked him a similar question to this thread, few weeks ago, out of curiosity...
The reason god killed everyone, except Noah, was because people were doing things opposite of gods law, also, because biblicly speaking, in that time/era, angels would often come to earth, disguised at humans, to hae sex with the human women... the angels thought that they were so beutiful. This made god upset.... those angels, are placed somewhere else until judgement day.... only NOah, prayed and repented, ect everyday to god, so thats why god spared him, as he didnt fall into the angel sex acts, commit crimes ect as the other humans did, so god felt for him, and spared him.
Cant say its all true, but this christian at work, knows his stuff!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OptionToChoose

Hey thanks, I really appreciate your reply.
As a child, while others read Enid Blyton, I sat and read the Bible.
I thought it was fascinating stuff, fiction or not!
Lots to think about....in a good way.
Can't say I have any fast held beliefs, I am open to all that is good, I just find it all so interesting.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Another take as I see the comment of AS ABOVE, SO BELOW and SO BELOW AS ABOVE which is a point that I make offen is that when you look at our lives you can count on that live else where has been or is that same as what is happening here...it is just all the same. Many have this idea that those beyond this world on other worlds that are smart enough to get here to visit are smarter and thus should know better, but the reality of it smarts does not mean that you do things always bettter. And so when you look at all the aspects of our world you can count on the simple truth that it is the same everywhere else. There is always going to be aspects that are similar, that's how things work. Good, bad, or indifferent, it is all represented here as it would be out there.

So here is one for some of those that like to ponder things, when it states "below" in relation to this world can we say we are refering to some form of life that is interior to our own world?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Im a Marty
Yes I always questioned that too! When I was going to Church a few years ago, I asked someone why the 'God' of the bible is full of anger, destruction, disappointment (Even killing people with the flood) - then Jesus who was supposed to be God incarnate as a human, would be compassionate, loving, caring, etc.... Just didn't make sense. I think the angriest Jesus ever got was upturning the table at the synagogue and calling the religious men 'Hypocrites'.

Seems like humanizing 'God' made him more caring

I struggle to think that if Jesus was 'God' that he'd be someone to cause the flood!

Thx

Actually the God in the holy bible was written to control slaves with fear of wrath psychology taken from and enhanced from Judaism. Convince a people of their inferiority then set the bar impossibly high- this way they are less likely to rise up and call ya on yer schitt!

Worked so well- its still used to day- peppered with "terrorism" of course!

The way I see it. God or Gods are not coming anywhere near us until we learn to stop exploiting vulnerabilities. I would think even the Creator(s) have vulnerabilities- And you can just best some a$$hole like Bush would try to figure out what it is and try to destroy it, conquer it and rule as if!

Would you have anything to do with that? I sure as hell would stay far away!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonar
. . . So here is one for some of those that like to ponder things, when it states "below" in relation to this world can we say we are refering to some form of life that is interior to our own world?

Like ants? . . . inferior in what way? Pertaining to ants, I don't imagine they tie shoes, but the Principle does a simplicity breakdown to more fundamental aspects of life: if the ant has to drink water to live, I have to drink water to live; if the ant is subject to enemy attack, I am subject to enemy attack; if the ant has to get up and hunt food, I have to do likewise in my world.

Spiritually, psychologically, selfishly? . . very difficult to imagine a human-type civilization that could be categorized as inferior to us.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by earthchild

Just answering for myself here, but personally I do not pray to Jesus. I pray to the Father in the Name of Jesus. But I do understand your question and thank you for asking it as I have oft wondered why certain religious sects pray to Mary and certain saints. I believe the Bible is very clear on how we are to pray. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jonar

Jonar,
If you don't mind me saying. I totally understand what you are saying. I have of late experienced a spiritual slump. I opened a thread here called, 'Is there a conspiracy of Atheists to overthrow Christianity?'
At first I regretted opening it because of all the mudslinging from both sides. But to be honest, it has set me on one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life. A certain non-beleiever accused all Christians of having their heads buried in the sand, and being readers of only one text and therefore ignorant.
I, for one don't care to be classified as ignorant or stuck-in-the-mud.
So I set out to study as many different theories and beliefs as I could find. This also brought me into the ancient texts of the Sumerians, etc. The Apocrypha (lost books or removed books of the Bible). And the more I learn the hungrier I get.
I do not totally discount the Bible that we have today, but I firmly believe that something is being withheld from us.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

It very well could have been a natural flood that God felt compelled only to warn a select few. Not only that, Noah tried to warn people.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
as far as im concerned !

there is only one god in this unvierse ! if there were more than 1 god , well this universe would actuely end in a blink of an eye ! how so :

as for a quick example ! if god number 1 wanted something and god 2 wanted something else and lets say that god 2 was stronger than god 1 well in that way god 2 will kill god 1 and god 2 will take over everything ... its abit stupid to think that there is more than god ! i dont mean any disrespect to anyone

if u need more proof or even more example's just tell me

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
How can gods be killed?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It has been my theory after years and years of study, that the truth was given at the beginning of life on earth and because there was no written word at the time, the "truth" was modified over and over again as the verbal word spread. Kind of like gossip where the subject keeps getting changed a little with each person hearing it.

I have to believe there is only one God, the God who gave Moses the tablets on Mt. Sinai. Now, what form God took at the time, we don't know. God, knowing the truth had been distorted and his name turned into multiple gods, chose Moses to be his messenger and lead the people to the promised land to further his agenda and relate his message that he is the one and only God.

We do know from recent astrophysics studies, that the universe was formed instantly, in one splt second of time (which didn't exist then) from something smaller than anything we know of yet. I have to believe there is an infinite, all-knowing, all-loving God who created everything. In effect, we are star children formed from the matter produced by exploding galaxies as God spoke the world into existence.

Any good being would have adversary as all things have a positive and a negative. Pride brought the angels down as Lucifer postulated that he, himself could be as God, and chose to form his own army against the one and only. All creation myths contain some sort of this story.

Got a little off subject here, but just trying to make sense.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by idle_rocker

idle_rocker,
This is exactly the train of thought that has me on my journey of searching for the ultimate truth. As you and many others on this thread have done, 'you have hit the nail on the head!' KUDOS!

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sizzle

maybe something liek this will be helpful:

www.explorefaith.org...

the book of ecclesiastes can be quoted to say that "everything is meaningless." However, God certainly does not think everything is meaningless, otherwise why would we have existance, and why would anything matter? I think to understand that phrase, and that book, one must live life and experience the good, bad, up and down. (not saying to intentall DO bad, but bad just happens.) for that book and phrase to make sense, I tihnk the rest of the Bible neesd to be read. if someoene wants to acutally know God, then ask God ot reveal himself and ask for his help. otherwise, it could all just be a distraction. runnning in circles. everything meaningless. no purpose. things need context. there are many character traits to God, just like there are to people. if i meet one person for an evening, and i have a bad attitude, i may be remembered as an asshole. if I am cheery and loving, i may be rememberd as such. if one acutally wonders who God is, seek to know him and read about him and the bible and pray and so on. otherwise, the less you seek, the smaller your fragments and understanding inwhich to base your thoughts on.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sizzle

Good luck on your quest. I've been on the same quest for many years and now I know whom and what I believe. It's helped that science now is well on it's way to proving these things. When I was young, we still believed our galaxy was the only one...lol...telling my age. I'll follow your thread. I hope you reach some good, positive conclusions.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by alastairblake

I have found that philosophy to be so very true. And thank you for bringing it into this thread.
There is something else I would like to bring up here and I hope that some of you can help me on this, as it has become very disturbing to me.
I am becoming very enlightened in my dreams. And deep in my heart, I know this beyond a shadow of a doubt. I know some of you will scoff and say that a dream is just a dream.
Usually I would say the same thing. But this is different I cannot explain it, but it is. These things are such tremendous revelations. Then the more awake I become, the more I lose the memory of them.
A member I have been in contact with, suggested keeping a pen and paper by the bed. That hasn't helped. It is almost like a deep grief, when I lose these memories. They are that important. And they are related to the studies I have been involved in.
I have been in prayer and meditation for answers. Then the dreams come.
What do you guys think? Any helpful suggestions?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I believe there are various types of dreams. One type is our unconscienceness winding down from the day or week. In this type, our daily lives get jumbled up with our unconscienc though processes. Another type is a sort if vision. It sounds like you may be having the vision type, but it could be a stress dream caused from your distress of having them and not remembering them...so hard to say. Do these dreams awaken you so much that you can't go back to sleep?

I've heard my name called out loud from my sleep before when noone else was in the house. An eery feeling, I must tell you. These are the kinds of things that led me on my quest.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have never made this request before, but I do want you all to understand why I am doing so now. I would like for as many of you that will, to flag this thread. Reason #1, has to do with what I brought up in the above post. and of course, reason #2, is to try to get this thread back on the front page of the board to get as much attention as possible.
Thus far I have had many members post very helpful links that are synonymous to this thread title and subject matter. I thank you all so much for that. Some of you may have thought I deserted the thread while I was studying (LOL). But I can't help but believe that the more participation that we have from the knowledgeable members of ATS, the more answers that we will get.
Believe me when I say that I am not after points. I have gotten the points I needed to be able to U2U, and I have enough post counts to enter chat, if I choose to. At this point, I don't think there is anything in the ATS store that I want or need. I don't get enough messages to require a bigger u2u box. SO, it is not about points, I assure you.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join