It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God Have A Split Personality, Or Is There More Than One Supreme Being?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Would the existence of two or more Supreme Deitys explain the multiple personalities of the God of the Bible? Over and over you see the arguments between non-believers and Christians; Non-believers see a jealous, wrath-filled God who is out to exact punishment upon them and send them to hell. Then you hear from the Christians who are reading the same book, who say, "That is not true. My God is a loving God, Who is unwilling that any should perish, but that all should have everlasting life." It's the same book, why are there two different viewpoints? Why does one group see an evil punishing figure, and the other sees a Being of love and forgiveness?
In this thread topic, I hope to solicit some different theories for this from other websites. None of this is absolute proof, of course. But I find it an interesting theory to ponder.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   

As will become even more apparent in the continuing of these Annals, there are really TWO gods of Genesis. Only by understanding this can one hope to understand the early chapters of Genesis. The simple truth is that if one demands that there be only one god of Genesis, then one is faced with a picture of that same god, who is continually reversing himself.

For example, according to the Bible, God made man and placed him in Eden. Then he threw him and his spouse out for no good reason (more on this later). Then God repented “that he had made man” [Genesis 6:6] and determined to destroy him and his progeny. Then God changed his mind and decided to let Noah and his brood survive. Then God became upset with Noah’s descendants and felt compelled to confuse his language. And so forth. As one progresses through the Bible, one is forced to question if the Biblical god has a multiple personality. Or is just psychotic. For the described Biblical god flips back and forth, is notorious for taking sides, and is radically unpredictable.

BUT! If there is more than one god in the proceedings, then things begin to make sense. Different peoples might choose one god as their favorite deity, and then defend his alleged superiority to the death. Which is precisely what the Hebrews did. They picked one God (as we shall see, Enlil and his heirs), attributed all of the good deeds of other gods to their god (in effect, ignoring the contributions of Enlil’s rival, Enki et al), and then even went to the extreme to deny that any other gods ever existed.

The single-god hypothesis proposed by Genesis just doesn’t make it! Once we let go of this artifact of a life-long brain-washing by the single-god fanatics, we find ourselves able to derive from the Biblical accounts a wealth of information. There’s nothing like a basic truth to lighten our load.

www.halexandria.org...
Please do read more on this website, it is very revealing!

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Yes I always questioned that too! When I was going to Church a few years ago, I asked someone why the 'God' of the bible is full of anger, destruction, disappointment (Even killing people with the flood) - then Jesus who was supposed to be God incarnate as a human, would be compassionate, loving, caring, etc.... Just didn't make sense. I think the angriest Jesus ever got was upturning the table at the synagogue and calling the religious men 'Hypocrites'.

Seems like humanizing 'God' made him more caring

I struggle to think that if Jesus was 'God' that he'd be someone to cause the flood!

Thx

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

Maybe thats what God needed to do though. He had to dwell within the life of a mortal to understand his power. Before that time, he acted like a child who doesn't get its way because he had no measure of what it was like to be weak. He was spoiled!

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I am not sure that "split personality" would describe God.

I would say that it is a very apt descriptive for mankind (on the whole). Which is funny, as mankind is the only source we have for who/what God is.

Your problem is noise. There is something in between the source and recipient, and this has confused you, along with everyone else on Earth.

To quote Primus: "Welcome to this world"

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Your problem is noise. There is something in between the source and recipient, and this has confused you, along with everyone else on Earth.

Ahhhhhhhhhh. Who is making that noise? Are we creating it or is the source deliberately clouding it?

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

Interesting perspective and could possibly be true - if God was not 'all knowing'. - however as mentioned that view indicates a 'God' which lacks knowledge. The 'God is All Knowing' is a point of view that many religious people use as an excuse similar to the "he works in mysterious ways" attitude. However I do see what you're saying. Good point.

My personal beliefs is that the 'God' of the bible (especially Old Testament) is not actually referring to the eternal creator/source - the 'supreme being', but possibly a powerful celestial ruler - one who "Didn't want worship of any other God before him".

Thx

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
LOL!
You
Guys have
more interesting
theories
than the website.
Thanx for contributing!

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

If you go to this website, you will see that they are basing much of their opinions on the Sumerian texts, that project two different gods.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
A lot of people tend to go along with the Sumerian texts, versus the Hebrew text, because it lends creedence to a clearer understanding of how we might have been created (by the Annunaki) and it pre-dates the Hebrew texts.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Had a brief look, and yes thats what my conclusion about the Gods were, either Annunaki/Draconian in origin.

You may find Michael Tsarions' work interesting - talks about the 'Adamic' and 'Eve' races, some Eve's went to rescue the 'Adamic' enslaved race, taught them wisdom and so forth (ie the fruit off the tree stuff), the Adamic race rebelled against their "God".

Thx

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
We can look at it this way. To be a good parent, do you shower gifts on your children even when they misbehave and rebel? Do you punish them when they keep their rooms clean or get straight A's in school? Of course not. A good parent would have a perfect balance of love and discipline. Justice and mercy. A good parent will also issue warnings for the consequences of misbehavior.

So is the same with God. The people were always given warnings prior to judgment and also promised blessings if they did what was right. We get more extreme but the concept remains the same with Heaven and Hell. It is a warning of a judgment as well as a promise of a blessing. Fortunately the only thing required of us is super simple and is not based on wealth, charm, good looks, or popularity.

You cannot be perfect if you tolerate wickedness. You cannot be perfect if you are capricious. God is love and mercy but He is also just.

Of course I believe there is only one God (with Jesus and the Holy Spirit for the complete Trinity) who encompasses all characteristics. He may come off as schizophrenic to Bible critics but when you look harder you will see it is because He is whole. We don't believe in multiple gods (like the Greek or Romans for example) who had multiple gods to encompass several characteristics. Just one.

[edit on 2/3/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Plz understand that my beliefs lie with the loving Deity. Jesus' Father. But the website does seem to have a point. And God does seem to be aware that there are other gods, or He would not have said, not to have other gods before Him.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sizzle
Plz understand that my beliefs lie with the loving Deity. Jesus' Father. But the website does seem to have a point. And God does seem to be aware that there are other gods, or He would not have said, not to have other gods before Him.

It would seem that would mean idols, money, or whatever we make our priority and place over Him.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Im a Marty
Had a brief look, and yes thats what my conclusion about the Gods were, either Annunaki/Draconian in origin.

You may find Michael Tsarions' work interesting - talks about the 'Adamic' and 'Eve' races, some Eve's went to rescue the 'Adamic' enslaved race, taught them wisdom and so forth (ie the fruit off the tree stuff), the Adamic race rebelled against their "God".

Thx

Thanx for the sugg.
Would you happen to have a link? Thanx.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

For back at the ranch in E.DIN, there was trouble in paradise. It seems as if Enki had somehow failed to mention to Enlil that his progeny were having little progeny of their own. Obviously an oversight or not telling the overseer the obvious. According to the Sumerian depictions, the primitive workers had indeed been seeded with the Tree of Life and offered the forbidden fruit. When the obvious became obvious, even to Enlil, it occasioned an angry encounter between the “Lord God” and the “Serpent”.

Angry? The “Lord God” lost his temper? Sounds very human, or barring that, very Anunnaki (whom we have learned, don’t exactly fight or wrestle fair). When it’s the heir apparent of Nibiru, Enlil, who has suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous Anunnaki miners, mischievous half-siblings, and fortune-hunting cousins, one can understand that the Commander in Chief on Earth of the Anunnaki had felt his authority questioned once too often. Enlil would be fully justified in engaging in an “angry encounter” with the perpetrator of this latest insult to Enlil’s command. The "Lord God", Enlil, was clearly upset by the actions of the "Serpent".

And who, pray tell, do you suspect is the serpent? Let me give you a hint. The Serpent God is written in archaic Sumerian as BUR, BURU, or BUZUR, all terms roughly translated as “God Who Solves Secrets”, “God of the Deep Mines”, and variations thereof. The Bible (in the original Hebrew) calls the god who tempted Eve, Nahash, which is translated as “Serpent”, but which has the literal meaning of “He Who Solves Secrets” and “He Who Knows Metals”, the exact parallels of the god’s name in the Sumerian depiction.

Does this sound a bit like our old friend, Enki? Could be! Keep in mind that Enki’s emblem was that of the entwined serpents, a symbolism that may very well represent the double-helix structure of DNA. (It’s interesting that Moses evoked this sign when he made a nahash nehosheth, a “copper serpent” to halt an epidemic affecting the Israelites. Recent experiments on copper, for example, have found this element useful in imaging blood flow. Furthermore, copper compounds can carry pharmaceuticals to living cells, including brain cells.)

The Sumerian version also shows Enki being arrested for his unauthorized deed. Enlil had not been pleased, to say the least. Moreover, in his anger, Enlil ordered the expulsion of The Adam -- the Homo Sapiens Earthling -- from the E.DIN (“The Abode of the Righteous Ones”). It’s worth noting, in this regard, Enlil’s reasoning for this expulsion of the gardener from the garden:

“And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever; “Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.” [Genesis 3: 22-24]

There are several points worth noting here. The first is that the “Lord God” (aka Enlil) seems uncommonly concerned about man becoming “as one of us, to know good and evil” and most specifically, to “take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.”

Obviously, this is not a transcendental supreme being, a creator of the universe. This is a slightly paranoid creature worried about man becoming his equal! Such a description fits Enlil, but not a supreme universal deity. Note also that at this point, man had only tasted of the tree of knowledge of good and evil; he had yet to even try the fruit of the Tree of Life! One would not think that having some sort of moral code, or knowing which direction was up, would constitute a serious threat to the gods.
Back to the paranoid being who was worried about man putting forth his hand and then to “take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.”

Eat of the tree of life and live forever!? Man? This is in the cards? There is the possibility that Man, or his ancestors, might come upon a Tree of Life, growing in the wild, eat of its fruit, and live forever? Really!? How very interesting!

www.halexandria.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Your point is well taken into consideration also AshleyD. Recently I have undertaken a study of ancient manuscripts in order to find out what it is that the illuminatti knows, that we don't know. There is a lot of speculation on this that goes all the way back to the Knights' Templars. I have been studying many codes. I have been in much prayer also to find the truth. Whatever that might be.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sizzle

Which God?

According to Hebrew tradition and text, Yahweh approach more than one group before Abraham was approached. Yahweh, according to jewish text was a god among a host of gods, all equal to each other. The Hebrews, specifically Abraham choose (for his people, and now modern day followers without asking them) to answer to only one god, Jehova, Yahweh. YHWH.

So if you are asking if Yahweh or YHWH (GOD) the ELOHIM (plural for THE GODS) has spilt personalities because of the obvious observation of this in the Bible.I think of GOD being many gods maybe? when trying to answer this question. Maybe thats why it reads and appears that way,...understanding the roots of judism and and the events, contracts, and eventual convenant made between Abraham and YHWH give clues to this question. Read jewish text, torah and history for this not the English Bible when trying to get to the roots of Judism and modern day christianity, it help me understand a lot... answered questions like this asked by the OP! Awesome question!

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by KanehBosm

Thank you for your suggestion and response. I do plan to do a study into those very books at some point. I feel a strong mission for the journey I am on now, as mentioned in the above post to AshleyD. It is something that I have never before been so dedicated to. When I have all my ducks in a row, maybe I will post my findings here on ATS.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Originally posted by sizzle

It would seem that would mean idols, money, or whatever we make our priority and place over Him.

Ashely again! HI!

He doesn't imply a thing there, he says GODS and meant GODS, why are you changing what was said with interpretation?

Oh yeah, where was Adam and Eve formed? please quote the Bible if you like..... I dont ask where God put them, where were they formed....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join