It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptickle
Wanted to preferance this: eMOID = earth minimum ORBIT intersection distance. If I am correct, it's the distance from earths orbit, not the distance to earth itself. So I was not indicating that it will pass between the moon and our planet.

Actually, it is the distance from the Earth as it intersects (crosses over our our orbital path. If another asteroid was 4.5 LD at it's MOID that distance would be the closest approach that object could make to the Earth as it goes about it's way on the orbital path. Otherwise if another asteroid on the opposit side of the sun was 1 LD from the orbital path, it would still be 900 million miles away.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Spotted last October by the NASA-funded Catalina Sky Survey in Arizona, 2007 TU24 is estimated to be between 500 feet and 2,000 feet long. The next time an asteroid this size will fly this close to Earth will be in 2027.

What a moronic statement!!

So we just discovered TU24 within the past few months, but the scientists are "so sure" that we won't have another one like this for X number of years??

Pffftt!!

How in the world can they assume to forecast proximally dangerous asteroids with such arrogant conviction? Seems to me that large asteroids and NEOs (like TU24) can just pop outta nowhere, only months or even weeks before they pass/impact the Earth.

Do they really expect us to believe that NASA knows everything?

[edit on 1/24/2008 by damajikninja]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
is it a coincidence that all the billionaires and top industrial leaders just happen to be all together this week in switzerland? the week of the asteroid pass-by... just makes me say hhmmmmm....

Can I know more about this...Im intrested.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
[edit on 24-1-2008 by violet]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
I have been looking breifly at some of the multitude of pages on this thread and find it very interesting with the varied thoughts on the subject. I am very keen to see what if anything will happen. Just a thought for the extreme conspiracy theorists. Considering we have had a large number of near astroids with little or no effect, is it possible they are using this timing and the hype surroundng TU24 to do a HAARP trial?

P.S. Appologies if this has already been suggested

[edit on 24/1/2008 by VIKINGANT]

I don't see how HAARP could be used in this case. HAARP is in Alaska and can thus only effect the northern hemispheres ionsphere and magnetosphere layers near the north pole. This is not to say that in doing that there isn't a related effect caused at the southern pole (maybe identical as the are polar opposites?) Basically HAARP is a cold-war relic that was intended to intercept ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missles) from Russia that would go into an orbit during their trajectory over the north pole on it's way to the US.

From the diagrams and power output specifications I have read relating to the HAARP program, it is not able to induce a plasma (consisting of charged particles) shield worldwide, due to the power that would be required and because it is only one geographical installation. With more installation sites around the globe, theorically it could be achieved.

The charged particles bounce back and forth between the poles, but still collect at the magnetized poles of the earth, thus the high-energy plasma shield is confined to the poles. I don't know specifics, but HAARP should be able to cover all of the US down to about the 35 or 30 degree latitude. But to all those all the people saying, "Why does it matter anyway, it is not like we could do anything to stop it", that is not entire true. It totally depends on the entry trajectory of TU24 if it did somehow (possibly through gravity from Earth AND the moon) align for an impact with the earth.

But looking at the data, it would most likely hit in the Southern Hemisphere (as mentioned before) at about 25-30 degrees south of the equator. This is out of the range of HAARP's facilities. Let's hope as I said above they have more (unknown) installations somewhere that could help if the need arose! But then again would they? Population reduction is another CT that I have looked into lately and I am sure the elite would welcome a naturally occuring catastophy over any one they would have to initiate. Besides it is just more convient and blameless! Just some thoughts...while waiting for NASA to tell us something new! Oh, yeah foam caused the Columbia disaster, or maybe, just mayby it was actually caused by (drumroll, please) the topic of this reply, HAARP, hmmm...

I hate to say it but yes, I guess I am a "doomsday" believer and I honestly hope that some kind of interaction does occur because frankly people need to wake up and once again learn for to think for themselves. Not everything is sacred (including your own government), quit taking what the media (including NASA) tells us at face value as the complete and undeniable truth and reality. I refuse to believe 95% of what I hear initially until I do my own research and education myself before I come to my own conclussion. If half of the worlds people did this, we wouldn't be in the spot we are now.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by percievedreality]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
Don't know if this has been posted

Observations Jan 24 08 of TU24

Siding Spring Survey (SSS) in New South Wales
Observations Today

and

Listing of Potentially-Hazardous Asteroids

Designation (and name) a e i Orbit U Last obs. code Mag.
2007 TU24 2.01 0.53 6 131974 4 2008 Jan. 23 204
PHAS

Okay, I know I am probably not the only one that needs it, but when you post numbers like that can you please dumb it down for us that have no idea what the numbers stand for? What exactly did you find, something different than has been found already?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Last night on Coast to Coast they said that because of the wobbling trajectory of the asteroid there is now a 50/50 chance of it hitting Earth, and that MANY people are having tsunami dreams of giant waves hitting the California coast.

Some of Mary Summer Rain's predictions tell of asteroids slamming into Salt Lake City........

I am wondering of I should pack up the car and make a run for the four corners 'just in case'.........but my personal 'psychic bells' are not going off so I am not feeling very pushed to pack up the car......

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
Last night on Coast to Coast they said that because of the wobbling trajectory of the asteroid there is now a 50/50 chance of it hitting Earth, and that MANY people are having tsunami dreams of giant waves hitting the California coast.

Some of Mary Summer Rain's predictions tell of asteroids slamming into Salt Lake City........

I am wondering of I should pack up the car and make a run for the four corners 'just in case'.........but my personal 'psychic bells' are not going off so I am not feeling very pushed to pack up the car......

You are scaring me. I live in California. :/

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The asteroid that hit in Arizona 40,000 years ago and left a mile wide crater was 50 meters wide. This one is apx 600 meters wide.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
The asteroid that hit in Arizona 40,000 years ago and left a mile wide crater was 50 meters wide. This one is apx 600 meters wide.

Yeah and according to everyone this one is so small we dont need to worry about it. Just makes you wonder why we shouldnt worry.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yessy

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

You are scaring me. I live in California. :/

Yessy, if you've read your Bible you understand we are in the endtime period and there is going to be a lot of scary natural events like comets and meteors hitting the Earth. But we don't fear because we can't die. We will change in form but that's all. So don't fear anything.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by hildar

Yeah and according to everyone this one is so small we dont need to worry about it. Just makes you wonder why we shouldnt worry.

Hilda

This one is about 12 times the size of that one. Locally it could wreak devestation and leave a ten mile wide crater and send ash thousands of miles away.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Ok im hearing 50/50 chance and then some say it wont come close...what are we supposed to believe...Im not an expert so i really dont know what all those funky numbers mean...but if we really want to know whats gonna on lets look other places beside nasa...i mean personally i dont trust them at all...we should be trying to watch the current activities of those in the know..who acting funnier then usaull...like somebody had said earlier,alot of rich people are staying in switzerland this week..the current recession talks.

It gets me alil worried...but im not scared of death,just maybe the way im going die. I live very close to the coast of maryland..i dont wanna be swept away in a gaint wave thats all im saying.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Right, some people are getting confused by the numbers. Where did this 50/50 chance thing keep coming from?? The odds are more like 500000000000000000:1 (an example of how anyone can make up statistics!).

We're not in the end times, the things isn't going to hit, it's around 310685 miles at closest approach. It's in the mainstream media, it's on NASAs website, people are talking about it publicly.

Please, don't get caught up in this incessant sensationalism that keeps cropping up. I know it's the purpose of these boards to talk about conspiracies, but the only conspiracy here is that it's just that - an overblown conspiracy.

You're a million times more likely to be involved in a car accident than be the victim of any asteroid-esque doomsday scenario.

I'm not trying to change anyone's fears, believe what you want to believe, be scared if you want to be scared, but I'm just saying it's not going to happen and everyone needs to get on with their lives.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
All the Observatories sites etc etc say it will pass. Please link me a page to one obsevatory who says its a 50/50 chance????

Just one...... waiting...... waiting,,,, sigh cmon show me one major real life observatory who is saying this thing is gonna hit or have a 50/50 of hitting.

You cant do it.

hildar ill laugh at you next week. make sure to show up

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Thank you for that fun fact Fromabove. Sorta puts things in a realistic perspective.

I don't know which is more believable, if this asteroid is going to take a wrong turn, or if I am going to magically fly up to heaven after I ask Jebus to forgive me for my sins before it lands on my roof.

Request to admin: I wish there was an emoticon that head banged whilst riding an asteroid.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by cbtech]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
Right, some people are getting confused by the numbers. Where did this 50/50 chance thing keep coming from?? The odds are more like 500000000000000000:1 (an example of how anyone can make up statistics!).

We're not in the end times, the things isn't going to hit, it's around 310685 miles at closest approach. It's in the mainstream media, it's on NASAs website, people are talking about it publicly.

Please, don't get caught up in this incessant sensationalism that keeps cropping up. I know it's the purpose of these boards to talk about conspiracies, but the only conspiracy here is that it's just that - an overblown conspiracy.

You're a million times more likely to be involved in a car accident than be the victim of any asteroid-esque doomsday scenario.

I'm not trying to change anyone's fears, believe what you want to believe, be scared if you want to be scared, but I'm just saying it's not going to happen and everyone needs to get on with their lives.

You can think what you want but all the news is doing is showing us what we already knew when this thread started. Thats all its doing. No updates no nothing. Oh yes and I think it was you that showed us a photo of lord only knows what. Now if NASA can take photos of the sun from space then they can take a photo of an asteroid that we can actually make out.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ncuncfan2006
All the Observatories sites etc etc say it will pass. Please link me a page to one obsevatory who says its a 50/50 chance????

Just one...... waiting...... waiting,,,, sigh cmon show me one major real life observatory who is saying this thing is gonna hit or have a 50/50 of hitting.

You cant do it.

hildar ill laugh at you next week. make sure to show up

That wasnt me that said it was a 50/50 chance. Dang if your gonna laugh at me then you better quote something that is laughable.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

Yes, it was me that showed everyone the radar imaging of the actual asteroid. It looks pixelated because it was made using radar, not a telescope. Why would NASA publish that, hot off the dish, if they have so much to hide?

For completeness sake, here it is once again.

You can say 'God knows what', but there is the actual freakin' asteroid, you know, the thing that everyone has been talking about, I think it's completely relevant.

The main NASA site, here - echo.jpl.nasa.gov... is bombed by everyone trying to look at it.

I've shown evidence that NASA and the other observatories aren't covering anything up, and I'm waiting for conclusive proof that they're doing otherwise.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Even if it were to come into our atmosphere you are giving no leeway for any disintegration that could happen. I am also starting to have a hard time believing that all of the so-called events are tied together. Like I said before, at this point the higher-ups would not care. If it were to send ash for thousands of miles if it hit in the US then the people that are in Switzerland would not even be able to come back to the US soon. And if that were the case and they are safe in their far away place, they would not care if pandemonium broke out here because they are technically safe. Plus with all of the what-ifs that can happen with this thing..I just can't believe that it would even have a chance of causing a large amount of destruction if it hit because I believe that it probably would burn up coming down here. Maybe we will know something else tomorrow about it.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Juicy]

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join