It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 52
<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Here is the whole dang page of numbers as of today since I can't get this page to link....would someone please translate this????? I can't get a screen capture on this so if someone else could that would be great!

I can't link it....so go

here

and search 2007 TU24 and it should take you to their updated solutions.

2007TU24

Services:
Ephemerides
Observation Prediction

Orbital Information:

Keplerian elements at epoch 54400 (MJD)

element value 1-sigma variation
a (AU) 2.00996 8.813e-05
eccentricity 0.529066 2.135e-05
inclination (deg) 5.801 0.0001862
Asc. node (deg) 127.178 0.0003188
Arg. perih. (deg) 333.589 0.0001969
M (deg) 334.826 0.001595

Other useful data:

Absolute Magnitude (H) 20.205
Slope parameter (G) 0.15
Perihelion (AU) 0.9466
Aphelion (AU) 3.0734
Asc. node-Earth sep. (AU) -0.0018
Desc. node-Earth sep. (AU) 1.73688
Earth MOID (AU) 0.00099
Orbital period (days) 1040.83
Date of orbit computation Jan 24 10:06

Get the orbital details, including covariance and correlation:

- Near present day (MJD = 54400): (HTML) (ASCII)
- Near middle of observational arc: (MJD = 54408.3): (HTML) (ASCII)

Note: Note that the elements are given with reduced precision in order to be more readable. For full precision please use the machine readable ASCII files, which contain equinoctial (not keplerian) elements and are in a format suitable for OrbFit input. Also refer to the discussion in the FAQ.

Minimum Orbital Intersection Distance:

Includes Orbit diagram.

- with .gif figures

Proper elements and encounter conditions:

- Proper elements and encounter conditions with .gif figures

Observational Information:

Optical Astrometry
RMS of residuals (arcsec) 4.11400E-01
Date of first obs. (yr/mo/day) 2007/10/11.26838
Date of last obs. (yr/mo/day) 2008/01/23.45020
Number of Observations 106
Number Discarded 0
Arc Information
Arc length (days) 104
Days unobserved 2

Get the observational details: optical observations, ASCII file
Note: The ASCII file is in a format suitable for OrbFit input.

Ephemeris:

Ephemeris at epoch 54490 (MJD)

Right Ascension (deg) 6.99056
Declination (deg) -15.5565
V Magnitude 16.94
Solar Elongation (deg) -57.48
Phase (deg) 121.36
Galactic Latitude (deg) -77.23
Distance from Earth (AU) 0.023
Distance from Sun (AU) 0.972
Apparent motion
Rate (deg/day) 2.085
Direction (PA deg) 18.785
Uncertainty Ellipse (1-sigma)
Semimajor axis (arcmin) 0.027
Semiminor axis (arcmin) 0.012
Orientation (PA deg) -152.79

Physical Information

The following link will take you directly to the appropriate page in the NEA database of physical and bibliographic information for near-Earth asteroids, maintained at the European Asteroid Research Node (E.A.R.N.) by Gerhard Hahn.

2007TU24 physical data

Orbit Animation

Java orbit animation maintained by the NEO Program Office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory:

JPL Orbit Diagram

Sorry for the long list........

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
While some may wring their hands looking up, its the stuff at/below eye level that will kill ya.

"The current (US) bill up for consideration, approved by the Senate Intelligence Committee, includes immunity for phone companies as long as they received written requests from the administration for assistance."

thehill.com...

Hello At&t - its me, Dick.......

(sorry for the aside but) it live right now on c-span.
www.thankyoudodd.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
From that NASA link:

Scientists are monitoring the orbit of asteroid 2007 TU24. The asteroid, believed to be between 150 meters (500 feet) and 610 meters (2,000 feet) in size, is expected to fly past Earth on Jan. 29, with its closest distance being about 537,500 kilometers (334,000 miles) at 12:33 a.m. Pacific time (3:33 a.m. Eastern time). It should be observable that night by amateur astronomers with modest-sized telescopes.

Nope, still not convinced.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Found some new info. Catlina Sky Survey (The astronomers that discovered TU24) are estimating the distance of 2007 TU24 at EMoid 0.00096, appx. 140,000 km. The moon (LD) is 384,403 km(238,857 miles) distant. It would seem they are not sure, since the distance shortens as the asteriod approaches.

www.lpl.arizona.edu...

In addition to this This link still lists it as potential impact;
cfa-www.harvard.edu...

All information I gathered, I found on www.tu24.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
is it a coincidence that all the billionaires and top industrial leaders just happen to be all together this week in switzerland? the week of the asteroid pass-by... just makes me say hhmmmmm....

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Well guys, I've done all I can do to ease whatever worry people had over this thing. There's still others trying to link it with animals and earthquakes, all of which is purely anecdotal. I have an earthquake tracker in my computer's widgets dealie, I haven't noticed any increase..

So, I'm off to dust off and fire up my bunker, and I'll be back on the 30th with some beer and some chips and a big 'I told you so'

*sarcasm, snippity snip!*

[edit on 24-1-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wanted to preferance this: eMOID = earth minimum ORBIT intersection distance. If I am correct, it's the distance from earths orbit, not the distance to earth itself. So I was not indicating that it will pass between the moon and our planet.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Thanks for that update skeptickle.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by cbtech]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptickle
Wanted to preferance this: eMOID = earth minimum ORBIT intersection distance. If I am correct, it's the distance from earths orbit, not the distance to earth itself. So I was not indicating that it will pass between the moon and our planet.

Right-on to the question of different numbers for (E)moid. A change there would change the closest pass # (body-2-body). We simply need new data, and I am betting its going to come by radar after the pass!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by cbtech

It wouldn't be from the earth’s surface, the eMOID is the distance from earths orbit. This figure is used to tell if a NEO has a chance of intersecting earth. A low eMOID would indicate a high probability, a high one indicates no danger. For example: TU24 is set to pass us in November of 2008, but with an eMOID of 3.something (can't remember exact), because positions are just not lining up. Even though the eMOID for the Jan 08 event has changed on several websites (see links), it seems the distance is staying constant, I'm not sure if that is entirely correct, but I am not an astronomer.

www.lpl.arizona.edu...
cfa-www.harvard.edu...
www.brera.mi.astro.it...
echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
So folks, to sum things up, where do we stand with this asteroid today?
A hit?
Near miss?
miss entirely?

I am wringing my hands and looking up, sort of. I am freaking out, basically.
Can you help me?
Please reassure me that we're going to be ok???

Love you all

DG ^
^

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm not worrying myself about it. If you weed through all of the posts I've written, you will understand why. Even if it were thrown off course as it passes, I firmly believe if it came for us it wouldn't be as big of an impact some believe because it would begin to burn up in the atmosphere. That is what I believe.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
well it takes the onus off planet x thats for sure for a while!

"theres been talk, theres been alot of talk"(the quiet man)

beleive what you want, take some of it in, spit some of it out! and keep searching for the truth!

Even my fecking horsocope knows pluto enter s Capricorn.?

so if i die this weekend i die!

but if i survive i will follow the guy or lady with the back pack>>>>

for she may have hair straightners

plasma cosmology?
is that a new botox remedy?

i kid you not, yeh run for the hills if you can...

but if the worst came to worst i for one would be better off dead

not many of us know how to survive alone

and if we did, would it would worth it?

there would be alot of people following those who looked like they knew what they were doing or where they were going..

it would be chaos

its good to talk though!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I have been looking breifly at some of the multitude of pages on this thread and find it very interesting with the varied thoughts on the subject. I am very keen to see what if anything will happen. Just a thought for the extreme conspiracy theorists. Considering we have had a large number of near astroids with little or no effect, is it possible they are using this timing and the hype surroundng TU24 to do a HAARP trial?

P.S. Appologies if this has already been suggested

[edit on 24/1/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Much like mattguy, I have tried many times to say that even at it's worst, there's not much this thing could do. It does NOT look like it's going to hit. Even if it did hit, the chances of real damage is very small, as we have a lot more water and open land than cities. Even if it hit a city, damage/death would be limited compared to the sheer number of humans and the size of Earth.

And I really don't think a plasma discharge from this puny little rock is worth mentioning.

And before I leave this thread, what's the point of worrying yourself to death over something you can't do a damn thing about, even if you knew for certain sure that it would happen?

Relax. Lower your blood pressure with a cold drink. You have way more chance of being abducted by aliens dressed as Elvis and being probed with a tuning fork on Boxing Day than you do of having a single hair mussed by this spud.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I agree with our FSME and urge calm. The wires have picked it up in the last couple hours (AP, etc). It will miss anyway barring further deviation. It's all over but the media show... and perhaps some "good" astronomy weather permitting.

NEODys link.

Orlando Sentinel www.orlandosentinel.com...

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 24-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaauroraaaaa

some vulcano also started to rumble in colombia chile and earthquakes also in december in peru and chile strange weahter and eruptions enough these days

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Bah, I just couldn't resist, yet ANOTHER news article, this time in the Sydney Morning Herald...

news.smh.com.au...

Enjoy!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoreallyknows
reply to post by Fromabove

Do you think the recent worldwide cold snap has anything to do with this?
Big Freeze

No, I'm not Al Gore so I can't attribute the weather to anything. The idea for atmospheric disturbances, radio noise, and earthquakes was actually posted by someone else earlier. I checked his link and it was as he claimed it was. A negatively charge asteroid passing our magnetosphere would... show us a real good time.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
From observing the data browser it appears that asteroids will slow down when near, in, and or crossing earth's orbit. I believe this is why the distance from earth data did not change. I am answering my own question (see post page 47 I think).

new topics

top topics

<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join