It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I just need to let everybody know...i was watching television last night...a show was on called "wacked out video" i herd the host mention and asteriod impact which caught me by surprsie....then laetr that night i happened to find a show called Jack Van Impe....he is some kind of bible prophecy expert...He was talking about all the signs of jesus coming...and what caught me by surprise is he kept mentioning something coming from space...and he even got into about 2012 being the end of the world.

Im the type of person who believes everything happens for a reason..so i get the feeling god may be giving me signs about this...I saw somebodys animation of the asteriod & earth and from what i saw that things looks really damn close to earth.

Just one more thing...for all you bible prophecy people out there...i read there is to be an earthquake ...followed by a large burning object falling to earth...I just would like to know does this asteriod have a chance of causing an earthquake before it hits? and what are the chances of space debris htting the earth before the actually asteriod does.

TSOM~

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
someone back in the thread was talking about watching out for static. electrical probs etc. well dumb ass me.. foxtel(sat tv) has been getting large pixels for 3 days radom, i thought it was strange, only happens in storms.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mindless

Dude, that is so impossible. TU24 is way to small (1/4 mile) compared to our moon which is 1/5th the size of earth. If it gets that close, it will either get brought in for a direct impact or "slingshot" by earth by entering into a temporary orbit and then escaping it with it's increased velocity. If it doesn't excape then it is possible it could orbit us for a few rotations and then come in for a hit, but not very likely. This could not become a new moon for us, that is so rediculous!
Oh and by the way, we didn't "capture" our moon, it is in fact made up of matter that was once part of our Earth but was lost when the rotation balancing of the earth and centrifugal motion became to great, 65 million years ago when the dinosaurs disappeared. Do some more studying...Once again, I urge all to not take what you are told as face value, think critically, your life may depend on it.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSonOfMan

But haven't we associated Biblical prophecies with every bump and bruise since Jesus died on the cross?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
i dunno, i think the new moon would suck in comparison to the original.

(reply to mindless.. damn this thread moves fast)

[edit on 24-1-2008 by tetragrammation]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by vanderLinde

It depends on your telescope. You'd need at least a 3-inch from what I've read. Time of closest approach seems to be in variance on different sites but I recall numbers of around 8 am UTC on Jan 29. That would make it ideal for you as it would be the middle of the night in Costa Rica. You're six hours behind UTC there.

I'm sure there are some amateur astonomers' sites that could give you more precise data for trying to locate its track.

And good luck -- hope you get to see it!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Moegli

The Indonesian region is part of the "ring of fire" and is one of the most seismically active places in the world. About half of all the world's active volcanoes are in Indonesia. There are quakes in that region frequently and the latest one is just another one.

There is no way that a single lump of rock about 400 metres in diameter and still many, many thousands of miles away in space is going to create earthquakes on this planet. Sorry, but the suggestion is totally absurd and the one who started such an idea acted very irresponsibly. Sure, when asteroids of reasonable size hit the planet they can cause seismic activity but they don't create earthquakes just by travelling through space towards our general location.

Check USGS for data on recent quakes and even lists of historical quakes and you'll se that there have been a huge number. They were not caused by passing asteroids but (generally) by tectonic plate movement or volcanic activity (which itself is largely related to tectonic plate movement anyway).

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tranceopticalinclined
reply to post by whoreallyknows

maybe it could of blocks solar radiations from the sun? i dunno its a possibility

Ummm...actually no...it's not a possibility. This thing is not a planet, it's a rock about 400 metres or so in size. Think about this: it's said to be around the size of the Sears Tower. Okay, now take the Sears Tower up in space and put it around half a million miles away (which is at least how far out this asteroid is now). How much solar radiation is a thing that small (relative to our whole planet) going to block out? Enough to cause climate change? No way! This is like throwing a tennis ball over your house and saying the ball will block out the sun! Actually, make that a marble. A small one. A very small one.

Mike

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike

reply to post by whoreallyknows

maybe it could of blocks solar radiations from the sun? i dunno its a possibility

Ummm...actually no...it's not a possibility. This thing is not a planet, it's a rock about 400 metres or so in size. Think about this: it's said to be around the size of the Sears Tower. Okay, now take the Sears Tower up in space and put it around half a million miles away (which is at least how far out this asteroid is now). How much solar radiation is a thing that small (relative to our whole planet) going to block out? Enough to cause climate change? No way! This is like throwing a tennis ball over your house and saying the ball will block out the sun! Actually, make that a marble. A small one. A very small one.

Mike

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
WOW, are you seriously just looking for peoples words to try an make yourself seem smart or cool? lol I said "MAYBE" lol wow, your awesome I wish I had non moral cares and concerns for others to flame their comments.

remember thoe, this is about space, a region that about 00.0000004% of our world population has ever been to.

We dont know but Jack and &#&$ about space, and Jack left town along time ago forced out by the big conglomerates.

an those earthquakes, are caused by electromagnetism from our earth, an moon, we live on land thats on a ocean of lava, being that these vary earthquakes are from our rotation an other electromagnetic variables.

lets steer away from the absurd and impossible, because we all know those words are as bad as our other non mentionables

WE are all Learning here on earth, No need to point that out.

Instead lets learn an grow with what we come up with instead of divide and conquer

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
OK, I have to say, this is getting a tad overboard. The best guess, and in truth that is all anyone from NASA on down has, is that this spud will go sailing by without a whisper.

But, if it hits, then it will do some damage on a LOCAL level, at least a land hit will. Not that such a thing would be good, but it would not be an "end of life as we know it" event.

What amazes me is all those posters here that talk about leaving because they're scared this rock is already aiming for their town. You might be running right to where it is coming down, while if you stayed home, it might miss you completely.

There's an old fable about a slave who was in the market and saw Death, and knew in his heart that it was coming for him because of the look on Death's face when he saw the slave.

So the slave ran home to his master and begged for a horse to run away on. Because the master really was more of a friend than anything else to the slave, he gave him the horse and some gold and watched him ride away towards Mecca.

That evening the master himself ran into Death in the marketplace. Being a bold and fearless man with a pure heart, he accosted Death and chided him for scaring his servant by giving him such a frightful look.

But Death answered the master, "I was not trying to frighten him, I was just surprised to see him here in this far away place. You see, I have an appointment with him in Mecca tomorrow night, so I didn't expect to see him here."

The moral being that you never know if you're running away from danger or into it. And maybe that Death always wins in the end no matter what you do. Trying to evade a rock from space by running somewhere on Earth strikes me as much the same.

Again, I seriously doubt there will be any impact/discharge from this thing. But even if there is, there's not much anyone could realistically do about it.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

Yea maybe they have have,but not all jesus prophecys have been fufilled...im speaking about whats written Rev chpt 8.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I kinda think it might hit. But if it does it will not be that big of a deal unless it hits a city. It's not real big, or real fast. If it hit the ocean, I think the tsunami would be pretty tame, unless it hit right next to a shore that was populated.

If we knew where it was going to hit, I would certainly want to see it.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It's funny I just noticed this thread had gotten to 50 posts when I couldn't help but think of Henny-Penny clucking around and squaking "the sky is falling, the sky is falling'.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
lol , henny penny, chicken little, gilbert godfrey lol its all funny, even if it happened or not,

I wouldnt lift a finger even if it was heading right for me, thats the way of nature then Im not gonna get in the way, I understand death isnt the end, its only the intermission,

even thoe this being the size of sear tower, it could impact our moon an cause our poles to shift like others have been saying lol

No one knows, we can only guess, imagine and speculate, But no one is wrong just not right lol. Its called a theory,

So if this hit land, it would be like a nuke right? at least a few mega tons?

I was told that even rock the size of a volkswagon bug would cause citywide damage if it fell from space,

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Tee-hee, Henny-Penny huh?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
It's funny I just noticed this thread had gotten to 50 posts when I couldn't help but think of Henny-Penny clucking around and squaking "the sky is falling, the sky is falling'.

True. I blame Nasa - or whomever is in charge of the Space domain - which is realistically USAirforce/SpaceCommand/Pentagon.

But dont worry Nasa has 'finally' responded on the front pages of yahoo.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Ar7uXEkdmAmITE17VFPf.ees0NUE

Fheewww... i am glad we can put this whole thing to bed now!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

You said "maybe" and you also said "it's a possibility". I was hoping you were kidding but just in case anyone didn't follow I was pointing out that it's not a possibility, just from the point of view of size.

If I offended you I apologise. Last thing I wish is to upset or offend anyone here. Maybe this is all getting to me a bit much but all the same I'm taking your comments in fair light and I'll try to be make haste more slowly in future. you've contributed some great stuff to this thread and I thank you for it. Especially the "gif" a page or so back. Appreciated very much.

Mike

(Edited to be more reasonable.)

[edit on 24-1-2008 by JustMike]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

lol , henny penny, chicken little, gilbert godfrey lol its all funny, even if it happened or not,

I wouldnt lift a finger even if it was heading right for me, thats the way of nature then Im not gonna get in the way, I understand death isnt the end, its only the intermission,

even thoe this being the size of sear tower, it could impact our moon an cause our poles to shift like others have been saying lol

No one knows, we can only guess, imagine and speculate, But no one is wrong just not right lol. Its called a theory,

So if this hit land, it would be like a nuke right? at least a few mega tons?

I was told that even rock the size of a volkswagon bug would cause citywide damage if it fell from space,

Hate to shock anyone but I agree with you: death is not the end by a long chalk. "Intermission" is as good a way of putting it as any.

Dunno the details about the pole shift theory. Seems the north pole is moving around faster than in the past already. You're right that on that score that it's all theory about what might happen in that case.

If this thing hit land it would be a pretty big shock wave even on the way in. I also read of figures in the megaton range.

Your last point:

Yes, damn right it would.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by scrapple

Totally off subject but I found the wording in this quote from the article a bit disturbing, just doesnt sound right to me "The Humans...." even in the article it sounds wierd.

"We think of the humans as one of the critical systems on board the spacecraft," Ochoa said. "You need to have trust, you need to have good communication between astronaut and flight surgeons to make sure any medical issues are addressed."

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join