It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 51
<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Here is today's press release by NASA on 2007 TU24. Asteroid to Make Rare Close Flyby of Earth January 29.

Asteroid to Make Rare Close Flyby of Earth January 29

There are times here which may be helpful.

Also this appears to be an updated chart as of January 24th on Newton's site which is the checks and balances. Translations would be helpful

Impact Risk as of January 24

Peace

[edit on 24-1-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
WOW they say its gonna be about 334k miles from earth and the moon is 238k from earth thats only 96,000 miles lol still is pretty close, Whats the ranges again on earths magnetic pull?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
www.jpl.nasa.gov...
Here is a page from NASA telling what they know...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think you misread, on NASA's site it said 300,000-something miles, not kilometers, but perhaps you were looking at the second link which I cannot get to open.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by scrapple

NASA has responded to what? Your link is going to a news article about the supposed "drunk astronauts" on Yahoo. Yeah, NASA we really care about that right now, isn't there something else you should be taking about, maybe what the new data collected yesterday shows after being crunched in their modeling schenarios last night, hmm?

That has absolutely nothing to do with this, where you making a joke that I missed? They have in no way responded to this NEO event that many informed people are now questioning. Well, they did add a news story a few days ago that appears to contain the same phases as the news stories published in New Zealand and Australia. In fact they have been sitting on new data since yesterday that hasn't been released yet. What do they know that we don't? Don't say nothing because it is fact that they now have newer data then we have all been speculating about, SO we do not know what they know!

I have seen at least two people "betting their ass", in their own words, that this is going to be a non-event. Well, now I am betting my own ass that this isn't going to be mentioned in the USA news and if it is somehow, it would be an exact rerun of the story abroad claiming no possibility of collision or even interaction with the earth, but due to the possible lawsuits, I highly dought it and would be very surprised. Also, I am putting my ass out there for kicking because I firmly believe NASA most likely will not update their numbers that are accessable to the public before the event. Maybe they will, just to calm the people freaked out by the non-responsive approach they are taking but if they do, they will change the data to make it look like we are at least in the same shape we were told before or now in better shape for a non-event .

Has anyone found out anything new to add to this so convoluted discussion??? I have been trying but everyone's servers are overloaded and the last 40 links ATS users have put up in here have lead to webpages that haven't been updated for 3-6 years!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
nah I was saying 238k as in hundred thousand, we use it alot in other things i use.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I can't get the second link to go live no matter what I do...
Here is the data

Orbital Information:

Keplerian elements at epoch 54400 (MJD)

element value 1-sigma variation
a (AU) 2.00996 8.813e-05
eccentricity 0.529066 2.135e-05
inclination (deg) 5.801 0.0001862
Asc. node (deg) 127.178 0.0003188
Arg. perih. (deg) 333.589 0.0001969
M (deg) 334.826 0.001595

Other useful data:

Absolute Magnitude (H) 20.205
Slope parameter (G) 0.15
Perihelion (AU) 0.9466
Aphelion (AU) 3.0734
Asc. node-Earth sep. (AU) -0.0018
Desc. node-Earth sep. (AU) 1.73688
Earth MOID (AU) 0.00099
Orbital period (days) 1040.83
Date of orbit computation Jan 24 10:06

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tjsteeler

nope it would not be on the news, reason good example Deep Impact movie

mass panick

see ya

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tranceopticalinclined
WOW they say its gonna be about 334k miles from earth and the moon is 238k from earth thats only 96,000 miles lol still is pretty close, Whats the ranges again on earths magnetic pull?

No, that's 537,500 kilometers (334,000 miles). This is exactly what is on Nasa's page.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
As I said earlier, if it is going to hit and wipe out the entire planet, someone would be saying something by now, because everyone of "importance" are well near their little bunkers and wouldn't care if the world went into pandemonium, so long as they are not part of it. However, if it is going to hit and would not cause horrible damage, then no, they probably wouldn't say anything about it. But I tell ya, when its your time to go, its just your time to go. There's no hiding from it.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Juicy]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juicy
As I said earlier, if it is going to hit and wipe out the entire planet, someone would be saying something by now, because everyone of "importance" are well near their little bunkers and wouldn't care if the world went into pandemonium, so long as they are not part of it. However, if it is going to hit and would not cause horrible damage, then no, they probably wouldn't say anything about it. But I tell ya, when its your time to go, its just your time to go. There's no hiding from it.

Exactly. I agree. Even if you were to be "safe" in a bunker somewhere, you would have to come out eventually. Who knows what you would be coming out to. When it's your time, ......................goodbye!

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Algonquin]

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Algonquin]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

Tranceopticalinclined,

Please do not confuse magnetism with gravitation. An object, an asteroid, will not be attracted to Earth, or any other planet, based on a magnetic field...

Yes, there are things we don't understand about why magnetism can work within a gravity well...but it comes down to our perceptions of 'reality'.

We need more physicists to come out here and give us some expert opinions...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Hey, if this thing does hit, do we still get our rebate checks? It would be nice to get the economy going again!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by percievedreality
reply to post by scrapple

NASA has responded to what? Your link is going to a news article about the supposed "drunk astronauts" on Yahoo. Yeah, NASA we really care about that right now, isn't there something else you should be taking about, maybe what the new data collected yesterday shows after being crunched in their modeling schenarios last night, hmm?

Exactly my earth sharing friend!

(edit sorry one line post.) Maybe they are waiting to get a final radar track on it - after it passes us. They make a decent guess about its pass, watch it for major changes through the visual observations of other observatories, and then get a new radar track as it shoots past us.

I know this sucks, especially with the numbers not being tight and peeps already tight about the world and markets etc, but it is supposedly the first pass (observed) and these things are going by monthly if not weekly. My earlier post about DT105(?) a larger rock crossed I belive late this last december, just a little farther out with the EMOID. Its orbit was well established as of 2007 so its not going to get press.

OK here is the first US MSM mention I've seen. No joke this time.

Asteroid will swing by, but won't stop By ALICIA CHANG, AP Science Writer
4 minutes ago

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AjNWD0xoin478kjDxtTuKxys0NUE

[edit on 24-1-2008 by scrapple]

[edit on 24-1-2008 by scrapple]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Yes Im not confusing it, just theorizing how the two could somehow be linked,

Theres always tomorrow for that
Gotta love String and M theory. lol

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm wondering why it's so hard for NASA or another Agency to nail down the object's exact trajectory? is it altering course as it travels, or velocity? ...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well Hit or no Hit it shows again that there is allot of space rock floating arround and a next one could be a hit and perhaps even a bigger one. this could be a good drill for the world to feel what it feels like to know your world is going to end. what will you do where do i go how can i save this and that, its really a good example also that NASA and other world space agencies should put more money in finding those space rocks and place some protection like weapon platforms around earth instead of putting all that money in war products to kill their own race. becouse "1 hit from above and we will have nothing to wage war about."

peace

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
My tax returns are already spent. But hey, as long as I can get my credit cards paid off, I am not complaining!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

Yes..I know...the string and M theories...(M=membrane) ... it connects to other 'threads'...

Heisenberg...Einstein...Hawking...

The concept of alternate universes, side-by-side, if you will, with ours, is a concept that is difficult to convey. There is no way to put this into a post, whether it's on ATS or in a classroom on a chalkboard.

Unless you can understand the math, and the symbols involved with the description, in the math...then we are not going to be on the same 'page'.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I see on spacedotcom that the flyby will be close(540,000 Km)so maybe there's an opportunity here for some close-up shots(video and stills) There was speculation on effects of a hit and they covered it rather well.I'm not losing any sleep over this event.

top topics

<< 48  49  50    52  53  54 >>

join