It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary: Top 100 quotes out of Christian chatrooms/fora

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
BTW OP, I just went to the website that featured the remark made in reference to:

If we come from monkeys, why don't we speak monkey?!?
Can you please put 6 years of education into a small paragraph, so that I can understand what evolution is? I've never read a word about it, I don't want to understand it, I have absolutely no desire to even read your answers, but please: explain evolution to me.

I really have no interest in whatever you have to say. My mom told me that God did it all, so that's true anyway. And if you're rude, it's further proof that mom was right. About God, and about you.

Thanks in advance!
answers.yahoo.com...;_ylt=A0WTcJCI941H034B7hrd7BR.;_ylv=3?qid=20080115192208AASXMEC

It might have put a whole different twist on things if you had mentioned that it was a group of high shoolers, joking around. As the next statement proves:

Awwww... you're a cutie! Despite the obvious sarcasm I'm still going to *drink* 'cause I'm thirsty. Have a great night!

Edit; Wow there are a lot of people that think you are serious. You might have to hide!
answers.yahoo.com...;_ylt=A0WTcJCI941H034B7hrd7BR.;_ylv=3?qid=20080115192208AASXMEC

Proof that they are high school students:

hahaha...
dont make me whip out some of my snobbish amatuer high school logic on you!

But if you had been entirely honest, it would have taken all the fun out of it, wouldn't it?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

"Make sure your answer uses Scripture, not logic."

I think that line from the link page sums everything in that chat room perfectly.

They should call that site, [*removed profanity*] Believers,Complete [*removed profanity*] Welcome!

Did have a damn good laugh,though it amazes that Christians who have attitudes and opinions like that can condemn any other faith!

[edit on 16-1-2008 by jakyll]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
IMPORTANT: Civility and Decorum are Required

[edit on 17-1-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This is the way I see it: There are morons who are atheists. There are morons who are Christians. There are morons who are Hindu. There are morons who follow Satanism. There are morons in every group.

On the other hand, there are some extremely intelligent people in all groups. Does the absolute fact change based on people's opinions or intelligence? Does an extremely intelligent atheist make God suddenly stop existing? Does an extremely intelligent Christian make God suddenly exist? No. The facts will be the facts regardless if we are aware of them or not or can comprehend them or not. If there really is a God, our knowledge of Him or I.Q. isn't going to affect Him in any way.

We could make some more threads with some seriously stupid beliefs by Muslims, Atheists, Hindus, etc. We could make some more threads with some really intelligent quotes by the above. Will the actual truth change due to how we perceive it or how intelligent or non intelligent the followers are? No. So what exactly is the point of this illogical thread? More Christian bashing?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
"The Letter of the Law is a real killer but the Spirit gives life"

~Jesus

He also said they are thinking way too much and need to get their hostilities under control in a more productive way >> "the gym"

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
Nah. I reject the THEORY

your emphasis on the word "theory" betrays your ignorance...
cellular biology is also cell THEORY... yet we are quite clear it's true

of Darwinian evolution based on the fossil records documenting the Cambrian Explosion and the unlikelihood

...unlikelihood...
is that all you have?

that such a large number of novel species could be generated according to a theory that handles MICROEVOLUTION, but not MACROEVOLUTION to the point of creating a novel species.

ok, you say it's unlikely
how unlikely?
could you crunch the numbers for me?

See now I could call you out for worshipping at the feet of Darwin like much of the scientific community, unwilling to even consider the shortcomings of his theory...

...worshiping at the feet of his theory?
i believe it is a theory, something that could be invalidated if it were false
you have not invalidated it, yet you do not believe it
the second it is invalidated, i will move onto the new best SCIENTIFIC explanation.

but hell I don't even know why you believe what you do and I would be loathe to make a huge judgement regarding your intelligence based upon this conversation.

wow, passive insults.
very classy.

And as for this mockery of logic:

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
Steven Weinberg

This is such a rickety shack of logic that I won't even take the time to huff and puff at it. You should be ashamed to post such drivel, madness. You're better than that.

it's actually quite true. i've seen otherwise good people do very bad things in the name of their beliefs. history is full of examples of it.
human fallibility is always there... but the authority offered up by religion often causes the most benevolent individuals to act as savages, believing themselves to be moral.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sizzle
It might have put a whole different twist on things if you had mentioned that it was a group of high shoolers, joking around. As the next statement proves:

Awwww... you're a cutie! Despite the obvious sarcasm I'm still going to *drink* 'cause I'm thirsty. Have a great night!

Edit; Wow there are a lot of people that think you are serious. You might have to hide!

Proof that they are high school students:

hahaha...
dont make me whip out some of my snobbish amatuer high school logic on you!

But if you had been entirely honest, it would have taken all the fun out of it, wouldn't it?

No it doesn't prove that they are high school students. You just assume, for all we know they could be implying that believers have logic of high school students.

I'll use the agrument and logic of a believer now:
Even if they say they are high school students doesn't mean they are.

Originally posted by AshleyD
So what exactly is the point of this illogical thread? More Christian bashing?

How about to stop people from repeating these stupid quotes? I've seen so many of them repeated here on ATS it's not funny anymore.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AncientVoid

Why don't you try actually going to that website? Just click on the link and you will see that it is really not much about Christianity at all, but a group of young friends, making sill small talk. If you want the REAL truth, you'll do that. But I suppose it better serves SOME viewpoints to let it stand as standard mature Christian views. Right?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AncientVoid
I've seen so many of them repeated here on ATS it's not funny anymore.

Not sure about here but a creation scientist once told me evolutionists believe the process is more like cows giving birth to a fish, thus starting a new life form, instead of a process of mutations through natural selection over time. Even though I had become a believer by that time, I corrected him. Yes, some of the misinformation is madness. But I've heard some horribly stupid things from Non Christians as well. When this happens, I correct them, too.

I could make a thread of all the stupid things I've heard about Christianity from nonbelievers but it would crash the server. It would also be pointless. I could hide behind the false intention "I'm just trying to correct ignorance" but I'm not going to insult anyone's intelligence and don't appreciate my intelligence being insulted by being told this post is just to stop the misinformation. I'm not naive. If this were so, the O.P. could have refuted the quotes in the original post. No, this post certainly seems to be a Christian bash and not an attempt to stop misinformation.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sizzle

As i said already i see a lot of those quotes repeated here in ATS by believers so i already know it fits. You can't know for certain if they're joking around and you only assume this. Even so, just look around ATS and you'll find some of them plus new ones.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I rest my Case

religion is a poison, curse,prison,usurper,controller .
master of war,death and suffering.

religion sucks.....thats about the size of it for me

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sizzle

ok...that's one out of one hundred....
can you prove that the other ninety-nine TOP quotes on the page are the same?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Quote: 'If you refuse to help arrest faggots, you really should expect to be left behind when God comes to collect His people.'

I wish god would hurry up and collect these nutters, and give us all a break.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
That site sums up perfectly why people don't want to become Christians. Lots of "facts based on Scripture" without the scripture to back it up, or with the scripture twisted way out of context. Take an example of the proof of Flat Earth in Is.40:22, Ez.7:2, Dan.2:35, 4:10-11, Mt.4:8.

In Isaiah, the text is used to demonstrate God sees all and to show His power. The Circle of the Earth sounds to me more like Earth's orbit; or even the semi-sphere called Earth.

In Ezekiel, one must be REALLY HARD PRESSED to misinterpret "the four corners of the land" for anything other than the northern, the eastern, the southern and the western barriers/borders of then-a-days' Israel.

The way out of context mentioning of Daniel, is mere proof of some twisted form of christianity (most likely some charismatic or cult) whose god is so powerless and literally mindless, that it (He is used for the God I worship, which is clearly not this one)is incapable of using symbolic language to communicate to the Babylonian king in a way that he can understand, what is going to happen. HE used the same image to communicate with Daniel, BECAUSE DANIEL HAD TO TELL THE KING WHAT HIS DREAM WAS. If He gave another dream, it would be a different dream. I am sure that this makes some kind of sense (some people might need to work it out a bit...)?

In Matthew 4... oh, deary me, what cans me saids on vis? Where, pray tell, is it wrot that satan showed all the kingdoms physically and not in some vision? After all, all it has going for it, is what it could steal and copy before being cast out of Heaven. Of course, this verse would make sense when read along with Luke 4:5, where the writer added "...in a moment of time."

Now, before we go further to prove the Flat Earth Society correct, let's just mention that our fastest modes of transport on earth, still need quite a few hours to get from Cape Town to Cairo... And that would be on a clear stretch of highway. So, either satan and Jesus teleported really fast around the globe, or their eyes were really good. On a Flat Earth, they probably would see the entire earth. And all its kingdoms.

But what if satan did what it loves doing with real people, seeing as Jesus was a Real Man? satan would give Him a vision, playing off quickly, with the end line coming really fast to try to catch Jesus unawares and get Him to reject His Firstborn Right of Heaven and then satan would have Jesus as servant. But Jesus knew beforehand what was going to happen and the Earth already belongs to Him, so He could tell satan to get behind Him.

This is one point of many in one topic which one writer was totally off-track, to make some point.

This is one topic of many on a site which is totally off-course. Remember, kids, there is a difference between "off-course", meaning on the wrong course, and "of course", meaning it comes as a part of this course.

But thank you for the opening post. If not for that, I would not have seen that there are supposed-to-be "christians" using God's Word to justify rape. In Deuteronomy 22:25-27, it is clear to me that rape is grounds for the death penalty in God's eyes, actually being compared to murder.

Amnesty International is not of God.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by J.Smit]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Thank you. I am a child of God. I am not here to prozelyte or convert you; you have your choices. But it is clear that the "love" that should be found among christians, is more found in "the World" than among "-God's- people."

But really: "a bewhiskered old guy sitting on a throne in the clouds, with chubby-faced cherubs playing harps all day?" Hardly the God I came to know. But He is personal and a Person, not just a "force."

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by J.Smit
is clear that the "love" that should be found among christians, is more found in "the World" than among "-God's- people."

This is the very point that I trried to make way back early in this thread. Christianity has forgotten the message of love and generally relies on a message of fear. Esp in the Evangelical and Fundamentalist camps which now make up 30% of Christians in the USA - these groups are also the most vocal making it seem that they are even a larger percentage than they are.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
your emphasis on the word "theory" betrays your ignorance...

That's nothing. You should see me try to wrap my head around the concept of horizontal gene transfer or Mendelian genetics or symbiogenesis.

Talk about a train wreck! THAT stuff betrays my ignorance.

As for whether or not Darwinism (or neo-Darwinism as we're calling it this century, yeah?) is a THEORY or not...I'll concede that obviously many tenents of neo-Darwinism are true.

But I still think that it is not the ironclad universal LAW regarding the origin of life that many scientifics make it out to be.

(And who knows, it may turn out to be...it's just not there yet.)

...unlikelihood...
is that all you have?

Of course it is.
You shouldn't act so surprised, considering "likelihood" is all you have, right?

could you crunch the numbers for me?

I suppose I could. But you'd disagree with my numbers or sources because you'd have other numbers and sources.

That's fine. This argument is being aptly handled by people far more intelligent than we are. What say we just watch the headlines and see what happens.

Contrary to the caricature you've painted of me in your mind, I really don't have a rooting interest here.

wow, passive insults. very classy.

Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

And as for this mockery of logic:

i've seen otherwise good people do very bad things in the name of their beliefs. history is full of examples of it.

History is full of people making excuses for selfish behavior. To claim that "good" people would not be drawn to selfish behavior were it not for their religion is not only putting the cart in front of the horse, it's shooting the horse and laying its corpse in the cart.

human fallibility is always there...

We agree on something. For the greater good, perhaps we should freeze our discussion right here and never speak again.

...but the authority offered up by religion often causes the most benevolent individuals to act as savages, believing themselves to be moral.

I would argue that anyone who would use religion as a foothold to exert selfish power (and there are PLENTY who have and will), are dispicable people to begin with.

POWER makes good people turn bad, and religion is a very straight road to power. So is money. So are great big bombs.

You can place all the ills of the world on the back of religion, but before you do you need to explain away a lot of good that is done in the name of God.

Because for all the idiocies inflicted upon the world by the organized church, there really is quite a bit of good out there too.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdposey
Well, along the lines of homosexaulity, I watched a show years back (2001-2001) where this young guy belonged to the Mormon church and he had Homosexual desires, temptations, and as a therapy, some men of the church hooked his testicles up to some kind of shock therapy and this was supposed to have some effect. All I could do was wonder how foolish, shocking someone's testicles!

Hardly news,the CIA and the military have been doing it to prisoners for years......Vietnam taught a lot of people how to use an army field telephone in a whole new way....
bergle

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bergle

Umm this was because of homosexuality and not because he was a prisoner or something.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Has anybody else noticed that BOTH sides of the religious debate sometimes seem to view each other as a larger and more powerful oppressor?
That list of quotes, in conjunction with this thread, seem to illustrate that little oddity rather well.

Having spent a significant portion of my life as a christian conservative, and another portion as a liberal (and, as it happens, an athiest), I'd just like to state for the record that at no point did my fellows in either of those camps let me in on a conspiracy to destroy society. As far as I can tell, neither side, on the whole, is all that dangerous- except when they become scared of each other. Seriously, if either side would have a little faith in the decency of the other, things would get better fast.

Luckily, here on ATS, decency is insisted upon (just a reminder).

Excellent post, and so true. I have also been on both sides of the fence, and now fall somewhere in the middle. I have absoulutly NO faith or belief in RELIGION at ALL, yet I believe on a creator.....I believe in science, but not so sure about the evolution theory......I guess I am on a fence where I won't be comming down on either side.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Hmm, interesting. It's pretty much like this everywhere, wouldn't limit it to just Christians, wouldn't be fair.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join