It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A really strange phone call

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2002 @ 11:45 PM
link   
My friend who is a member of the phreaking community gave me this site which, he thinks contains information about the number you traced the caller to. I'm still not sure who could use this to call you. The telephone company definitely has the ability to and maybe phone hackers do too. Now I'm not positive this is the explanation.

5.1 What are test numbers?

Test numbers are dialups to testing equipment or test features set up by the phone company or private entities. There are about a billion kinds of test numbers, so PLEASE don't just start asking for test numbers, especially on newsgroups like comp.dcom.telecom.tech.

5.2 What are some common test numbers and their uses?

- 5.2.1 Sweep Tones: Tone sweeps are a test tone ranging from 304hz to 3204hz. A common use for sweep tones is to check for infinity-transmitter style taps. Dial up a sweep tone. If an audible clicking is heard during the sweep then a transmitter could be installed on your line. Telco maintenance uses sweep tones to check for the presence of loading coils, and other such nasties that eat high frequency tones in order to qualify a line for high speed services.

- 5.2.2 Milliwatt test: These are 1004 hz tones sent out at 0 db. Milliwatt tests are used to check for line loss and other complex tests.

- 5.2.3 1004 hz test tone: This is a vanilla 1004 hz tone. Nothing too useful here, without a loop analyzer anyway.

- 5.2.4 Quiet termination: This feature connects the caller to a port with fixed resistance, 600 ohms or 900 ohms being the most common. There should be nothing but dead silence on connection. Clicks, static or crosstalk will be clearly evident if a noisy line is used to dial this test.

- 5.2.5 Ringback: Calls back the originating number in an annoying fashion. Dialing all the touch-tone digits in order (starting with 1 and ending in # going across the keypad rows) will generate 2 tones saying the keypad is ok.

- 5.2.6 Loops: These numbers exist in linked pairs. Call one number and you�ll get a tone. Call the other number and you get dead silence. If both are called at the same time they make a connection. It used to be that you could then talk over this connection, but now there are filters that block speech placed on most loops.

- 5.2.7 ANAC: This test dialup will read off the number of the line you�re calling from. On rare occasions you will find ANACs with a DTMF response for use with remote test terminals.

- 5.2.8 DATUs: DATUs (Digital Audio Test Units) are a godsend to technicians and phone phreaks everywhere. DATUs allow a caller to monitor lines (don't get too excited), open and short pairs, and put trace tones on the pair. While it might not sound too exciting, it has more applications than most people think.

posted on Jul, 17 2002 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thanks MajicEyes. Its true, I have no clue what the number could be, so a test number could just as well be it. Probably just someone playing a game, as the crank call average has stabilized once again, and I have had no further calls of this nature.

But then again, there are people like the brave Brenda Negri, who would say that these are the same old psy-oping mind washing games that spooks like to play.

In either case I am not worried about it. I keep a fully loaded and automatic G11-K2 under my pillow, and it makes me sleep much easier.

I wonder if there is anyone william who might have a clue of figuring out what that number might be. Anyhow, I am just going to assume it was someone, who either works for the phone company or really knows telecommunications well, that played a trick on me. Because if it were those grey suit wearing goons, 1). I havent been sitting up on my roof with my shot gun, drinking whiskey and screaming at my neighbors about aliens, it did not make me panic or anything, or 2). I have nothing to hide, so I have the attitude I have nothing to fear.

Thanks for the info dude.

posted on Jul, 17 2002 @ 12:55 AM
link   
LOL, so far everyone I've asked about the number doesn't have a clue what it is. I'm also trying to a website or phone number that will give me info on the number but I can't find that either.

posted on Jul, 17 2002 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I typed in the phonenumber in google and thought maybe I'd have some luck but I didn't find the number only a lot of different ones.

posted on Jul, 17 2002 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Willie, What kind of answering machine do you have?

posted on Jul, 17 2002 @ 04:39 PM
link   
It's a Uniden Model # 12980 900 megahertz.

posted on Jul, 17 2002 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Ok, good. At least it isn't AT&T #1710 because there would be a chance it was just kids fooling around.

www.phonerangers.org...

posted on Jul, 17 2002 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I think it would be usefull to post any and all info/facts possible. The ATS members have, collectively, a wide range of expertise and knowledge.
( Majiceyes/phreaking) I personally would like a photo of the SUV's plate numbers. I'm sure someone would be able to trace a plate number to a possible govt. or investgative agency. A pic can say a thousand words...so something like that.

Also, I think approaching the SUV's while walking a borrowed dog, while disguised as a lady, would allow you to shot some film... besides, if you think running up on someone freakes them out...shotting film of them really does a number on 'em.

Hack the Planet

posted on Jul, 18 2002 @ 05:02 AM
link   
What did you have in mind Hannibal ?

" google is proud to annouce you that we find the super-mega-giga-top-secret US President phone number " ?

posted on Jul, 18 2002 @ 06:12 AM
link   
LOL. maybe he was. or the "You've Hit The Jackpot" .

Kepp us posted mm on whats happening.

posted on Jul, 18 2002 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Ok guys, here�s my current status report. I have not seen anything suspicious for the last few days but my camera is loaded and ready for action. I think that if I am indeed being "watched" then "they" would be parking and monitoring me from a location were I wouldn't be able to view them from my house. Just one of these days I might just go take a midnight stroll through my neighbourhood looking for anything suspicious.

posted on Jul, 18 2002 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Its possible they are watching the board and now that they know you are on to them they are backing off a bit

Or i could be wrong

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 03:09 PM
link   
so whats the latest MM with this van

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Turend out to be a bunch of surfer bums, looking for a place to smoke up..

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 09:44 PM
link   
No nothing too much to report on. I haven't seen any suspicious vans or activity at all since the vans incident
That's kind of "out of the ordinary" in itself!

posted on Dec, 14 2002 @ 09:50 PM
link   
ok I called the number and listened to it too. doesn't sound like a fax or a modem to me. Doe's sound like it is searching for something though. 2 short beep's twice then a solid sound almost like the recording then it hang's up on ya.

posted on Dec, 15 2002 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Have you tried ringing your local telco and saying you are having problems dialing that number? Maybe if you could come up with a creative story you could get some info out of the operator...

posted on Dec, 15 2002 @ 11:31 AM
link   
WAS this b4 or after your adventures to Camp Hero??

posted on Dec, 16 2002 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Ok some strange thing's happened around my house today. Wonder what that number was that I called will? Has anyone else tried calling it? My wife came home from dropping my son off at school and said she seen someone looking out the window where my computer is so she thought I had not left for work yet. my car is kept in garage so she wouldn't know. She came in and yelled for me but guess what I was already gone for work. She is already freaked out from this and she goes to sit down and watch t.v. and guess what no cable. Ok that is strange because I just had it turned on thursday. She call's the cable company and they comne out and discover that someone disconnected it from the outside. Oh and I must say that is pretty good service to get here the same day you have a problem. So now I am sitting here wondering what the hell went on today. Give me your thought's.

posted on Dec, 17 2002 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Which number did you dial?? The one that was posted here?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join