It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drivers Could Face 2 Years Jail For Using Mobile Phone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Drivers Could Face 2 Years Jail For Using Mobile Phone

news.bbc.co.uk

Motorists caught driving dangerously while using a handheld mobile phone face jail under new guidelines.

The Crown Prosecution Service guidance follows a policy change announced in September because of concerns that too many drivers flouted the ban.
where driving falls far short of what is safe, prosecutors can press charges of dangerous driving, which carries a maximum two-year sentence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The government war on motorists continues, with new sentencing guidelines for drivers who use their mobile whilst driving.

The tougher sentences are for drivers who "fall below safe driving limits"

This will also apply to other in car gadgets such as sat nav systems, and comes about because too many drivers have flouted the current ban on using mobiles while driving.

I'm all for road safety, and I don't drive - but to me this is a step too far, especially when you consider the number of muggers, robbers and perpetrators of violence who only get a slap on the wrist.

This has gone far enough - roll on the next election, so we can get the next collection of bufoons into office.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Well, drivers who are putting their attention into their mobile phone are potential killers..
But I guess it's ok that only a few of the road accidents are caused by people who for some strange reason need to talk on their phone while they are driving?

This is hardly a "war" but more a wakeup call. If you've travelled around Europe you know as well as I that british drivers are amongst the worst along side with the french and italians.
I can't count how many times I've wanted to rip out the horn of a british car because the guy felt like it was necessary to honk it for 8 secs and this even if he was impatient waiting at a red light?!
Or how many times I've had to take a quick step backwards to avoid getting hit by a car in an unlighted crossing.

Nah mate... this is for the better.

What did people do before the time of moblie phones? Did they sit and write letters while driving?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I applaud this new move. A policy like this should be employed in Australia.
There is no point in killing or maiming other people just so you can talk on your phone.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Found this report from Rospa.

Mobile phone report

[edit on 20/12/07 by flice]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
My point is that there are violent criminals walking around free - this government has waged a war on motorists for some time, and in some respects it needed doing.

But what would you rather have?
safer roads or safer streets - you know as well as I do that there are places in our cities where you cannot walk the streets in safety - because the do-gooders insist that the people who mug, rape, beat and rob are merely mis understood victims of their environment.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Hands free kits included in the ban...
Does that include police radios then?

What about a car full of screaming kids?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
People flout the ban because there are too few police officers on the streets or the roads to actually enforce it. Most of them are tied up doing the hours of paperwork required having arrested a toddler for drawing with chalk on the pavement.
Speed cameras everywhere will catch people driving a few miles an hour over the posted limit, they do not catch drunk, drugged or dangerous drivers or those flouting the handheld phone ban. Of course, the cameras a good revenue generator for todays business driven policing.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

We are always told that the police are professionally trained drivers and are therefore able to use communication devices safely whilst traveling at speed.
What a complete load of &/%£/*(x - I have seen some really bad driving by police officers and have twice nearly collided with police cars cutting me up at junctions, then giving me the eye like it was my fault - giving them a blast of the horn and unorthodox hand signals get's their attention

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Why are people being punished beyond a ticket for "what ifs?"

I mean if their stupidity hurts another person throw the book at em.. but the "what if" punishments are getting out of control.

that goes for everywhere...

[edit on 20-12-2007 by C0le]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
I mean if their stupidity hurts another person throw the book at em.. but the "what if" punishments are getting out of control.
[edit on 20-12-2007 by C0le]

I disagree with that mentality. I think there should be no legal difference between driving dangerously, and driving dangerously and killing someone. The legal result shouldn't change just because the end product of your actions was different. 'What if' is a good system for helping to prevent that 'if' from ever happening.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Check this
out for how good the police are at high speed driving.

One law for the cops, another for the rest after a recent case where a senior officer was let off for the third time after being caught speeding.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by C0le

That's the problem today, we are all potential lawbreakers in the eyes of the law and the governments. Any number of us could be breaking half a dozen laws at once or thinking the wrong things.

Only last night, while driving home from the office, I found myself whistling to a tune on the radio, taking a hand off the wheel to scratch my ear and.......horror of horrors......thinking about what to have for dinner. All those things happening at once, it's a miracle I didn't lose control of the car and cause untold carnage, killing lots of kiddies and small cuddly fluffy creatures.

Seriously, it's getting beyond a joke. They'll also have to start letting out all the robbers and rapists to make room for the people caught using cell phones whilst driving.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Yes there are violent and dangerous criminals about and, people, if you're driving and talking on your mobile, YOU ARE ONE OF THEM!

Make no mistake about it - driving a car is a serious responsibility - it's a multi-ton potential weapon and can kill with a moment's inattention.

So get off the phone, put down the makeup kit and newspaper and pay attention - otherwise get a chauffeur.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   
this is all fine and dandy but i'll still talk on the phone if i must as i frive. i don't dial out but there are a couple people that i have to answer when they call. just the way it is.

i stand by my opinions that driving while on the cell is no more dangerous than working a radio, reaching for your smokes, a woman putting on lipstick, attending to a child in the back seat, or eating your big mac.....

so, yeah...

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

This has been going on here for years - there are more and more speed camera's whose only purpose is to raise revenue.

British roads are amongst the safest in the world, thanks to drink drive campaigns, compulsory seat belts, speed camera's at accident blackspots and many other worthwhile initiatives.

No, people should not use their phone while driving - but to threaten 2 years in prison while murderers and rapists are released from prison early due to overcrowding (only for them to immediately re-offend) is pushing it too far.

A 1 or 2 year driving ban would more than suffice - and remember, the call about whether a person is driving dangerously comes from a police officer - and there have been times when people have been followed by police with a grudge.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Thanks for the measured response and sorry for my diatribe.

However, if you look at the statistics, inattentive drivers kill thousands. There are serial killers by automobile who are let off with probation.

So I think a penalty of that magnitude is warranted - remember, judges will tend to abate that law during sentencing.

There should be an equal penalty for those caught hoaxing or lying about someone's driving.

I do agree that there are too many laws and prisons are over crowded. I think those in jail for victimless crimes should be released (drug use (not drug distribution/sale), certain types of white collar crimes, etc.).

Have a good day and drive safely!

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski

A 1 or 2 year driving ban would more than suffice

i could get behind that if there was a ban on the other 500 damn things that could distract a driver.

i still stick to my guns that imo, 'they' should be far more focused on cars being safe on the road. they are targeting people that talk on the phone but what about the people that cause accidents cause they don't keep up on their maint.
tie rod finally snaps and causes an accident, etc etc...

i think 'they' are going after the wrong thing.
i just don't think driving while talking is as dangerous as we are led to believe. either way, if i need to take a call, i will.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

That's alright Badge - this is something that evokes strong feelings in people.

Personally I don't drive (although I obviously have a licence) and I get really hacked off with drivers who do the following;
Don't stop at zebra crossings - which is illegal
Park on the pavement, so that people have to walk round them on the road - also illegal.
Park on blind corners - illegal
Pull up on double yellow lines - illegal
speed in built up area's - illegal
jump the lights - illegal
Stopping on a zebra crossing - illegal

And many more.

This is a real bugbear of mine, and I've had to take avoiding action many times due to careless drivers - I've even been known to shout at them and on a couple of occasions have kicked a car for nearly running me over, leaving the driver somewhat shocked, but not nearly as shocked and scared as their behaviour at the wheel made me feel.

Some people seem to think that they can behave how they like in a car, and think they are invincible behind the wheel, and this is the attitude which makes them careless - what they don't seem to realise is that they are playing with other peoples lives.

If they want to risk their own life, then fine - but these idiots always seem to walk away while an innocent person is hospitalised or worse.

As you've probably guessed, I'm not a fan of a lot of car drivers, but I still think this prison thing is a step too far - even a ban for life would be better, which would get my vote as a punishment for drunk or dangerous/careless drivers.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I nearly had a accident myself almost veering into a car on my left while I was on the phone (I wanted to change lanes, so move to the left lane). Had I not, I would look at the mirror and turn my head to see if any car was in my blind spot, but I was concentrating on what the other person was saying. Hence my awareness not to do it ever again. Luckily that I was quick in veering back in my lane. Couldn't see the person in the other car since he had tinted windows, but I expect he probably gave me the finger.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by deltaboy]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join