It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drivers Could Face 2 Years Jail For Using Mobile Phone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Like anything else, it's a matter of common sense.
I have used handsfree systems since they first became available - first a Bluetooth earpiece and then a Bluetooth stereo head-unit which I fitted in the car. I am almost always on call and live 50 miles from the office so I can get calls any time of the day or night. I never initiate calls but if I have to I find somewhere to park and make the call. Common sense at work.

What angers me is idiots who continue to flout the law and use absolutely zero common sense. What the hell did these people do before mobile phones?
Part of my drive takes me through some very affluent real estate and I always see people in cars costing upwards of £70K driving with a mobile phone held to their ear
For crying out loud!, surely if they can afford the car they can also afford to spec a handsfree system or at least pay £20 for a Bluetooth earpiece if they must use the phone when driving.

The police need to spend time targeting these people before expanding the rules to apply to handsfree systems too. To do that they needto be out and about, not in the station filling out paperwork and relying on the speed cameras to catch the criminal drivers who may stray above the speed limit.

It's what I have come to expect from government though. Unable to enforce existing rules they bring out new ones to criminalise a wider range of the populace to make it look like they are doing something positive.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Remember that the 2 years sentence is just for getting caught on a 'device', and if you actually kill another driver because of it you can face life in prison for manslaughter.

I agree that something can be done about the safety, but this is a step too far, no wonder all of our prisons are full, we need to fine them heavily instead.

Also agree with the muggers getting a slap on the wrists when driving whilst on a mobile can now get you sent to prison.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by Nexus]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Reduced to the lowest common denominator, it's a matter of common sense. Driving, especially in the modern urban and suburban traffic environment is a full time job. Anything that distracts a driver from that task or impairs their ability is a danger to everyone on the road.

As far as a law regulating cell phone use while driving? Plato sends this from across the ages...

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."

Yes, there are worse crimes and criminals out there but at that moment when you're picking glass from your face because somebody thought they needed to plug in to their cell phone, the only thing that matters is wiping the blood away so you can gaze upon the selfish moron who was busy doing something besides driving.

This is a good law because people have already proven they can't be trusted to common sense without some means of enforcing it.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Hands free kits included in the ban...
Does that include police radios then?

What about a car full of screaming kids?

Exactly my thoughts whilst reading through this thread.

I'm trying to think of something else to not have a one line post, but sadly, this will do.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
What angers me is idiots who continue to flout the law

Does that include people who slam on their breaks comming out of a tunnel because it's sunny, raining, snowing, etc? Does it include parents with screaming kids in the car? Does it include a plethora of other things that are dangerous while driving?

Or is this a witch hunt against this type of behavior?

BTW, I neither own a car nor drive whilst talking on the phone when I rent one.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
2 years in prison for driving whilst on the phone is ridiculous, theres people out there abusing children who are getting lesser sentences than that. I agree that people should be punished for driving whilst on the phone but sending them to prison isn't going to do anybody any good.

If you are caught driving and phoning police should be able to issue an instant 1 month driving ban on the spot and impound your car for a month. Nothing like a short sharp shock and a cold walk to the bus stop to bring people to their senses.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
the only thing that matters is wiping the blood away so you can gaze upon the selfish moron who was busy doing something besides driving.

Does the same apply to the selfish moron mother who has to turn full bodied around to consol her screaming child? Remember that there are laws saying that children can't ride in the front of cars when thinking of the answer to my question.

BTW, my thoughts are:

If you can't do 2 simple tasks (talking on the phone and driving) at the same time.....you are not qualified to do either.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
the thing is....
80% of people are horrible drivers who can barley walk... let alone drive
1 ton vehicles.. well... thats a bit harsh.. ill say 76%....

then put them in the middle of an important conversation... weather its,
hey whats for dinner, or.. booty call preparations.. the world around
them becomes less important...
< cue the white mini-van full of nuns carrying toys to the orphanage. >

the only thing that seems odd to me though...
THEY ARE HARDER ON CELL PHONE DRIVING/TXTing than they are DRUNK DRIVERS...

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by redoubt
the only thing that matters is wiping the blood away so you can gaze upon the selfish moron who was busy doing something besides driving.

Does the same apply to the selfish moron mother who has to turn full bodied around to consol her screaming child? Remember that there are laws saying that children can't ride in the front of cars when thinking of the answer to my question.

If you can't do 2 simple tasks (talking on the phone and driving) at the same time.....you are not qualified to do either.

1. I have sired and co-raised 4 children who all survived to go to college and get their own driver's permits. During their childhood, they often misbhaved in the car but they were either strapped into a child seat or later, seatbelted in place. If they got out of hand, I would simply pull over and deal with the problem. It can be done but... this has nothing to do with the issue of cell phones and driving.

(Have you tried the 'Mother's who perform full-body turns in the front seat while driving' thread?)

2. Driving is no simple task. It is a full time job. The simple taskers are more often than not the ones who you are looking at in the other car after wiping away the blood and picking the glass.

Qualifier: I have no issue with hands-free sets that allow the driver to keep both their eyes and hands available to the job of driving that speeding ton of steel and glass along the concrete slab. By the same token, listening to the radio is not nearly the problem as playing a guitar while going down the highway.

Qualifier: Cell phones are a convenience, not one of life's necessities. But even for an important call, there's almost always the option of the exit, the gas station, the 7-11 store... even the shoulder of the road. There's no excuse to endanger others. None.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by redoubt]

[edit on 20-12-2007 by redoubt]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by Britguy
What angers me is idiots who continue to flout the law

Does that include people who slam on their breaks comming out of a tunnel because it's sunny, raining, snowing, etc? Does it include parents with screaming kids in the car? Does it include a plethora of other things that are dangerous while driving?

Or is this a witch hunt against this type of behavior?

There may be a good argument for each of those things you mentioned but they are not the issue here.

There will always be someone doing something somewhere that may deserve the same attention. But if you get pulled over for say, speeding and then tell the cop that there was someone else going twice as fast as you, do you think that's going to relieve you of the ticket?

You can't substitute various bad bahaviors like you can mix & match grocery coupons, lol!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join