It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longest sniper rifle range

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
hi this is X; the 308 remmington is the longest shooting sniper
rifle available to the public but I still prefer the 223 because it is more flat shooting. the military has 707's and 700 mags that are reinforced with 50%
more steel in the fluted, water cooled barrels which reach about 1.65 miles

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Barrett modified a M107 to shoot a .416 cal computer machined barillium copper boat tail round that will split a fly's eyes at 2 miles cold bore. many other rifles will come close, like the 338 super mag, but the limitation on most rifles is optics. finding a super acurate scope with enough magnification and will maintain zero under the massive recoil of barrett's and the like has proven difficult. in the Corps my snipers were constantly mangleing scopes.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
OK -- FOR ALL THOSE THAT NIT PICK THE ACCURACY OF A 50 CAL....

The gun has huge effective range - one. And two - you can be about 18 inches off target (and I mean AWAY from a torso, arm, neck, head...whatever) and it will rip you apart irregardless. No need to hit within a 6 inch spread (like most lower cal. rifles in more innexperineced hands) when you can hit within a 4 foot spread and still take the target out of the fight almost always indefinitely (due to lost limb or side of neck or face). Good example - say you shot your dog or a pig with this rifle - you would have trouble finding piecies large enough to eat (useless for hunting regular size game). So you want a pin point accurate target plinker, get a 22 cal., you want to destroy, get a 50 cal. You want a good in between platform you gotta shoot .308. Bolt action is always more accurate than semi-auto, and at long range you dont want to put lots of rounds down range fast anyway because the barrel gets too hot and you lose most accuracy.

Now, as for cost efficiency, seeing as you usually have to have a class 2 or 3 weapons liscense in most states to own a .50 cal, you're looking at a pain in the ass. And that doesnt even include the price per round - about $10. Ammo is not cheap and you have to zero your weapon and practice before going into a real world situation.

If you want something that is unquestionably accurate, has decent range, that you can cheaply practice with all the time as a civilian, and still has lethality when you learn to nail those 1 inch spreads - get a 22 lr cal. They're a blast, they're light, ammo is DIRT cheap for practice and high quality ammo is still cheap, and you'll have a blast, be able to take small game, carry it and literally hundreds of rounds all day, and still have an effective kill range of at least 200-400 yards for an amateur. Hope this helps, and if you're thinking of killing a person - DONT BE STUPID. Peace...

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
After about 650m the Barrett .416 (which is a necked down .50 bmg) has better ballistics due to greater velocity (and also a flatter trajectory).

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kangjia57

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

Now, as for cost efficiency, seeing as you usually have to have a class 2 or 3 weapons liscense in most states to own a .50 cal, you're looking at a pain in the ass. And that doesnt even include the price per round - about $10.

You're wrong and spreading wrong information. You don't need a class II or III to have a .50, it's no different than any other rifle. There are certain .50 cal models specifically outlawed in some states, and I know california has some stuff going on but you don't need a class III or even a class II.

Ammo is not $10 a round unless you're getting some special stuff, top of the line match grade etc. I've seen stuff as cheap as $2-3 a round, but about $4-6 seems to be a good average, say $5. But it gets cheaper if you reload which I bet a lot of .50 shooters do

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
can u get a m107 in either arizona, nebraska, or any state with in one state distance of south dakota

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The Way Home or Face the Fire -

www.jahtruth.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join