It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longest sniper rifle range

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grozny07
I wonder how much drywall a .50 round could penetrate...

Don't know about .50BMG, but here's the box-of-truth guy taking on some pine boards with a 5.56mm M193 from a 16" barreled AR. The M193 is renowned for being a poor penetrator even from 20" barreled M16s, being deflected by pretty much any thing. However even this round happily penetrates right through all 12 boards.

For some reason I don't think that a .50 is very suitable for police sniping...

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
To me a silencer implies subsonic ammo so not much range at all for a 'silent' sniper. A sniper a kilometre away with high velocity ammo needn't worry too much about the noise.

Silencers do not make bullets go sub-sonic at all.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Sorry, didn't scan the whole thread but I think the answer lies with Canada's JTF2. The longest sniper kill on record. The problem being you won't get an answer. I know the father of a JTF2 member. He basically knows when his son is "in country" and that's about it.

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
A sniper a kilometre away with high velocity ammo needn't worry too much about the noise.

Not true. One of the meathods employed for identifying a firers position is to listen for the two distinct noises made by the round being fired. There is a sharp crack as the round passes you at supersonic speed, followed by a duller thump caused by the round leaving the barrel (you hear the round pass before it is fired as the bullet travels faster than the speed of sound).

The general direction of the firer is judged by listening to the direction of the thump. To identify the range of the sniper the time between the crack and the thump is estimated. A time between crack and thump of 1 second indicates a range of approx 600m. 2 seconds is approx 1000m. Using these two estimates the general area of a sniper can be estimated. The sniper can then be engaged by sharpshooters, counter snipers, machine guns or indirect fire assets.

If a weapon is suppressed, only the supersonic crack of the round passing will be heard. Therefore there will be no initial reference point to judge the firers position. This greatly increases survivability of the shooter.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Everyone is all up on the M107 barret .50cal its a sweet gun and can shoot really far but its primary use is for an area target like a truck. Its a 3 min gun which means at 100m it will hit within a 3in circle so do the math at 1800m thats 54in or 4.5 ft you arent going to hit a person in the head at that range plus if you put a silencer on it you can't shoot it...the muzzle break is designed to take away 70% of the recoil

Another topic that kept being brought up is the silencer and sub sonic ammo you can still use regular ammo with a silencer but it is way more effective if you use the subsonic ammo. In which case would lower the velocity and range of the round.

For a good read about snipers check out
www.grunt.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NegativeBeef

No, and from reading his quote there he wasn't saying it was. He was saying that to have a truly silenced weapon you need a silencer and subsonic ammo, such as a .45 bullet. That way you don't get the crack of the round going supersonic. You don't hear the shot fired, OR the round going by.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kangjia57

The silencer only suppresses the noise at the muzzle. Unless you use subsonic ammo, there'll still be a boom from the bullet travelling supersonically. If you shoot someone a mile away, they won't here the report though.

posted on Feb, 27 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Haven't read the whole thread, but the furthest confirmed kill by a sniper was a Canadian in Afghanistan if I am not mistaken. I forget the actual range, but it was ungodly long.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
the canadian team did make the longest shot. then they made a slightly longer shot a few days later. 2400- ish meters. Currently, our military is using both the .308 and .50 as a "sniper" rifle. Check out advanced armament (pretty sure they are in arizona). they make a suppressor for most calibers, including the mighty .50. Yes, while true it doesn't make much difference sound wise for the guy on the receiving end, it does mitigate muzzle rise tremendously for the guy on the trigger. Seeing as most .50's in use by the military (US) today are semi-auto, this aids in quicker follow up shots and less time off target. Hope this helps.

be safe all. one thing that cannot be disputed is that "what the .50 hits, the .50 gets."

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The question was what is the longest range sniper rifle, not which is the best sniper rifle.

So I win 5000 yards with a 20mm vulcan is the longest range sniper rifle.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PaddyInf

Sorry buddy it is a sniper rifle. It would be great for jacking up say a mig-29 or any other aircraft from 3000 yards. You could terrorize an entire city with this gun. That is what snipers do, terrorize, and de-moralize.

So if you are a police sniper, stick to a realistic rifle. If you need to rain down death from an absurd range, try something more potent.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

Sorry buddy it is a sniper rifle. It would be great for jacking up say a mig-29 or any other aircraft from 3000 yards. You could terrorize an entire city with this gun. That is what snipers do, terrorize, and de-moralize.

A weapon that size simply could not be used for realistic sniping. It COULD be used for long range sharp-shooting, but that is a completely different discipline. Sniping requires a degree of manoueverability that is simply not possible with this type of weapon. A 20mm cannon is pure over-kill for any realistic sniper engagement. If you are engaging a target that requires 20mm rounds to destroy then a sniper is probably not the most appropriate asset for the job.

Anyone who would advocate this as a realistic option for a sniper platform obviously has no real concept of the role of the sniper in current operational environments.

As for sniping a Mig, I hope you're talking about on the ground!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kangjia57
Reply to pilgrum

To me a silencer implies subsonic ammo so not much range at all for a 'silent' sniper. A sniper a kilometre away with high velocity ammo needn't worry too much about the noise.

How about if the noise is still a problem? Isnt it possible to attach a silencer without effecting the range or accuracy?

It almost sounds as if you are planning something ! The rifle used will need to meet the specs for range, and a silenced weapon has less range and is mainly for shots less than a half mile.

Dont go doing something stupid.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Mate, congrats. You are spot on and its good to see someone who KNOWS what he is talking about rather than someone who THINKS he knows because a book or a video game said so. If you have no experience in these matters, you shouldnt act like you know. Trained professionals like this guy here are the backbone of alot of forces around the world. Once again mate, good on ya.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grozny07
Was it this one?

Since our posts have to be longer than one line, I'll put something else here

A while back I saw Barrett himself trying to sell his .50 caliber sniper rifles to local police SWAT teams. As if that's not overkill. While they might be useful to an EOD team, I think the concept of police armed with these things is a little overkill. I wonder how much drywall a .50 round could penetrate...

Man what are you kidding. A swat team shooting that Barrett gun would get a headshot, the 50 cal would rip through the head out the back drywall into the neighbors apartment out of his brick wall continue down the street with full energy and rip through another house and into the kitchen through the fridge and still decapitate someone sleeping in their bed. Way too much over kill for police work. That thing could probably go through 3 houses killing people in each house and still have velocity left to do damage.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Fulcrum29

I agree, Most police and military snipers use the .308, and the 7mm rem Mag. and they use the Rem 700 action, and the Savage 110 action.

I personally have hit 6 inch targets a 1000 yards with a 7mm.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Smokinbbl]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The Longest Deadly Range Rifle is the Barret .416

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

the 50. cal barrett

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Not to scare you... but the advanced sniper rifles use guided munitions like a really tiny missle that is guided by gps. The range will pontentialy be unlimited.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Canadian foces 2300m 2.3 km

www.cbc.ca...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.nationmaster.com...

spookisboy

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join