It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longest sniper rifle range

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Longest sniper rifle range

Hi i was wondering which sniper rifle has got the longest range with a silencer?
After watching movies like Hitman i always wonder if sniper rifles with range of couple kilometeres can exist with very very accurate precision.

Can anyone name me some if they exist?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
To me a silencer implies subsonic ammo so not much range at all for a 'silent' sniper. A sniper a kilometre away with high velocity ammo needn't worry too much about the noise.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
So which rifle has got the longest range with very accurate precision?I am talking like kilometres.

[edit on 19-12-2007 by kangjia57]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Not so much used as a silencer but rather a flash suppressor.
The US teams in Iraq got a 2095yrd in Al Samawarra(sp?) Iraq with the M82A1 Barrett .50 cal

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Reply to Dumb Human Response

The US teams in Iraq got a 2095yrd in Al Samawarra(sp?) Iraq with the M82A1 Barrett .50 cal

Yeh 2095 yards is about 1.91kilometres which is about 1.20 miles.
I guess thats pretty good range eh?
I wonder if the scope is as precise and reliable?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kangjia57

Correction, someone just forwarded this info to me.it looks like the Canadians have the longest kill.

The currently held world record for the longest range sniper kill is 2,430 metres, accomplished by Corporal Rob Furlong of the Canadian Light Infantry during the invasion of Afghanistan. He accomplished the shot using a .50 caliber BMG McMillan TAC-50 bolt-action rifle.

here is the link;
www.alistoflists.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
some good info on this thread too:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

you just have to read past the anti gun hate.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Yeh thats about 1.50miles.
So is that the longest kill than?
I am sure there are more with longer ranges?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   

that is the longest that I could find. How long do you need it to be?
just wondering.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   
High velocity large rifle ammo can be lethal at 3 miles or more so it's just a matter of being able to see, let alone hit your target at that range considering what effect wind would have at that distance.

[edit on 19/12/2007 by Pilgrum]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I was just wondering which sniper rifle had the longest range with accuracy.
M-107 sniper rifle is hardcore though,penetrates through armoured vehicles and walls.
Is it only for millitary use or could civillians get their hands on it?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Reply to pilgrum

To me a silencer implies subsonic ammo so not much range at all for a 'silent' sniper. A sniper a kilometre away with high velocity ammo needn't worry too much about the noise.

How about if the noise is still a problem? Isnt it possible to attach a silencer without effecting the range or accuracy?

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Allright Kangjia you're up to something and I want in on it. lets split it 50 50 and I'll even let you take the shot.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Allright Kangjia you're up to something and I want in on it. lets split it 50 50 and I'll even let you take the shot.

haha Naa i am not upto anything
!
I got a thing for sniper rifles because you can take out targets without gettting owned yourself most fo the time.
So have you found out if its only for millitary use or civillians could get their hand on it?

A closer look at M 107:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Video is not available.
it depends what state you live at on what rifle you can buy I know it is outlawed in California.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Yeh vid is not available. youtube.com...

I am not from US so i cant get it in UK anyway because of the gun laws are too strict.

So is it possible to get this weapon in US from a Ammunation store with the actual rounds in states where the gun laws are not as strict?

[edit on 19-12-2007 by kangjia57]

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kangjia57
How about if the noise is still a problem? Isnt it possible to attach a silencer without effecting the range or accuracy?

A silencer dissipates the gases following the bullet out of the muzzle quietly but won't stop the loud 'crack' of the bullet's mini sonic boom if it's supersonic coming out of the silencer. You need to remember also that the speed of sound reduces with altitude so ammo that's subsonic at sea level (barely) ~1100ft/sec may not be in the mountains at around say 2000' where the speed of sound will be 900ft/sec or less.

To get good range and a flat trajectory at distance plus minimum wind effect you need a muzzle velocity around 3000ft/sec or better so forget about it being silent (wear earmuffs to protect your hearing too btw).

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Reply to pilgrum

To get good range and a flat trajectory at distance plus minimum wind effect you need a muzzle velocity around 3000ft/sec or better so forget about it being silent (wear earmuffs to protect your hearing too btw).

Yeh i agree,definetly need those earmuffs!!

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Newest issue type
Is a modification of the .50 to about .443 (dont want to be exact) it will fire first hit at 1.5 miles it has the noise suppressior on it.

But to do this the team uses a hand held computer with wind and range lazer, also important part is the computer tables in the hand held unit...as a man will move say 30 aprox inches in time of bullet flight. Due to Earth rotation. This is up to date now made item.

With new silencers shooting max velocity it sounds like a wosh.....100' you would no hear it.

Silencers I was part of a Company that made these new ones. You dont see silencers on weapons because it good publicity.

Email me if you think I am off anywere Ill reply

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
To see the shot made: With computer and silencer this is 1.5 mile
dsc.discovery.com...

Go to link type in search area 416

dsc.discovery.com...

Buy vedio if you are serious shooter

<<   2  3  4 >>

join