It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longest sniper rifle range

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Photo bottom page

dsc.discovery.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Reply to triplepoint

I believe i have found a better rifle which beats M 107.
Its called the CheyTac M200.
Heres the link youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I am into sniper riffels myself, But with me its more the human side I am more into. The thoughts, pressure and the environment against a sniper are unreal. I take my hat off to any sniper if they have had a kill at 200meters or 1.5miles they deserve respect.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Reply to theukman

The thoughts, pressure and the environment against a sniper are unreal. I take my hat off to any sniper if they have had a kill at 200meters or 1.5miles they deserve respect.

Yeh snipers must have alot of patience and adopt to the environment they are in.Must be really hard to keep scoping around for hours and hours looking for targets.But getting targets as far as 1mile and above is definetly an achievement.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This one is pretty bad-ass right here...............
www.anzioironworks.com...

3000m range, 1600 grain bullet, 3300 feet per second.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Hold, on 5000yd. range on this baby.
www.anzioironworks.com...

I think i may have a winner here.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Lads, these things aren't sniper rifles - they're long range target rifles. A sniper couldn't use this for any real sniper task. There's more to sniping than shooting further than you can see. You have to find your target. move into position undetected. Observe undetected. Take the shot while remaining undetected. Extract undetected.

This all requires a weapon that can be carried and moved stealthily. This thing can't. As for the 5000yd stated range - this is how far the round will travel, not how far it can reliably engage targets. A 5.56mm round will travel over a mile if fired at 33 degrees. This doesn't mean that it can be used effectively at this range.

Just because a rifle can launch a projectile a long way doesn't make it a sniper rifle.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
the rounds you fire fall apart from the force of the air traveling over them sniper rounds must be percisly made to withstand the tempature and wind forces

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
the rounds you fire fall apart from the force of the air traveling over them sniper rounds must be percisly made to withstand the tempature and wind forces

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The fifty or the 416 does not have a silencer!!!! What you see is a mussel brake. It reduces recoil and hides the mussel flash a little. Our snipers do not need a noise suppressor when you will never figure out where the shot came from anyway at that distance. The only sniper rifle in U.S. service that has a noise suppressor is the AR-10. If the 50 had one it would look like a 2 litter coke bottle hanging of the barrel or bigger. The Canuk is who has the longest shot in combat that is recorded.
There is a good video on you-tube showing what happens to the Teliban dudes when they get hit by a fifty. I would post it but I would more than likely get banned so I wont. Its very graphic.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
As PaddyInf said the a 50 cal rifle isn´t a sniper rifle it´s an anty material weapon. The M-24 has probably one of the best effective ranges (400m) of all military issued "sniper" rifles. A good sniper will probably increase this range by a bit but I´m not sure. A sniper isn´t trained to take such insanely long shots anyway, any soldier is taught to fire within the effective range of his weapon.
Now remember there are probably better sniper or sport rifles out there but most of them are so expencive that they can´t be issued due to their cost.

Wait before ending this post I found a posible candidate that is in the gray zone but I don´t know what to make of it.
CheyTak LRSS

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDarkFlame
The M-24 has probably one of the best effective ranges (400m) of all military issued "sniper" rifles. A good sniper will probably increase this range by a bit but I´m not sure. A sniper isn´t trained to take such insanely long shots anyway, any soldier is taught to fire within the effective range of his weapon.

Sorry mate but that's just wrong. The M24 can engage in excess of 1000yds, the main limiting factor being the calibre (7.62mm). In the British army snipers and sharpshooters regularly practice at ranges out to 1100m. The annual personal weapon assessment for the L96 requires shoots out to 900m, with the L115A1 test requiring 1100m shots. Bear in mind that these are the most basic tests to be passed before you are even allowed to deploy with the weapon. Other training increases these ranges.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Reply to downtown436

Hold, on 5000yd. range on this baby.

This thing is huge!! youtube.com...

You probably need 2 people to carry it and as a sniper on battlefield you will have to stay at one spot without moving around as this thing is huge to carry around.

Reply to PaddyInf

Lads, these things aren't sniper rifles - they're long range target rifles. A sniper couldn't use this for any real sniper task. There's more to sniping than shooting further than you can see. You have to find your target. move into position undetected. Observe undetected. Take the shot while remaining undetected. Extract undetected.

Yeh but a sniper needs them if fighting in mountainous, dessert type terrains. In these sorta regions you move little (stay undetected) and stay at one spot looking for targets.
Plus in those terrains its more about long range as a sniper would not go across to other mountain or sand dune to get the target.

Reply to sky watcher

If the 50 had one it would look like a 2 litter coke bottle hanging of the barrel or bigger.

Haha that’s true.

Reply to the DarkFlame

A sniper isn´t trained to take such insanely long shots anyway, any soldier is taught to fire within the effective range of his weapon.

I am not sure if a agree with that because a sniper is meant to take shots that a normal soldier would struggle with. And snipers are mostly trained to take long shots.

I still personally think M-107 is the best for snipers. It’s got long range up to 1.5miles, very accurate and 10 shots per mag without reloading.
My favourite is still the CheyTac but you have to check wind pressure and temp with a computer before you take shots and a sniper hasn’t got that long if taking out multiple targets. youtube.com...

[edit on 20-12-2007 by kangjia57]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kangjia57

Reply to PaddyInf

Yeh but a sniper needs them if fighting in mountainous, dessert type terrains. In these sorta regions you move little (stay undetected) and stay at one spot looking for targets.
Plus in those terrains its more about long range as a sniper would not go across to other mountain or sand dune to get the target.

With respect, have you ever seen a person at the ranges you're talking about? Hitting a target at 1000m is bloody difficult. It often takes several minutes to make the appropriate calculations when making a shot at 1k. You have to take into consideration range, wind direction and strength, humidity, lighting conditions, fire position, air density, weather and a shed load of other things. That's for 1000m. Now imagine making a shot at 5000m. It's simply not achievable in realistic conditions. Hence the longest range confirmed kill is just under 2500m, and chances are that luck played a big part in that one. You can have any weapon you want, but it's the nut behind the butt that does the shooting, and I don't think any sniper in the world can shoot at 3k+ in combat, and most can't shoot past 1200m.

I completed (and failed) the All Arms Sniper Cadre several years ago. I passed the all phases apart from the stalk. I achieved the second highest score in the shooting on that course, yet still wasn't badged as a sniper. The reason? There's more to sniping than shooting. I'm now trained as a sharp shooter. I know how snipers are trained. A sniper needs to move over long distances on their belt buckle with their weapon to get into a decent fire position undetected.

In a desert/mountain scenario (such as Afghanistan) you have to patrol for long distances to achieve any sort of gain. You don't "move little". Yes, when you're in the position you stay still, but it takes huge amounts of physical stamina and skill over long distances to actually get into the position in the first place. Long range shooting (>800m) is indeed the norm, but there is generally no need to engage targets at 1.5k+.

A trained sniper prides himself in getting close to a target to ensure a kill. This is emphasised in the British Army Sniper Cadre. The stalk (which I failed) requires the potential sniper to move over varying ground from 1000m to a point 200m from two trained sniper instructors undetected. The shooter then has to fire a loud blank at the instructors. If they remain undetected, a walker then moves to within 5m of the shooter. If the instructors still can't see the potential, another shot is fired. If the shooter is not detected the walker places their hand on the shooters head. If the instructors still can't see the shooter, the walker checks that the shooter is in a position where they can see the targets and that their sight settings are appropriate. If all of this is achieved, then the potential passes that phase.

You can talk all day about what rifle fires further, but it's all just smoke on the water if the firer can't make the shot. Not all good shots are snipers, but all snipers are good shots.

[edit on 20-12-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Reply to PaddyInf

Well i have to agree with you because you have been there done it and also have the experience.

So you tryna say that its not about how good or long range a rifle is,but its all to do with the snipers actual skills to stay undetected and take out targets remaining undetected?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Actually, they do make suppressors for the .50 caliber rifles out there. I cannot tell you how effective they are, however. Probably not very, seeing as how the crack of the round going supersonic would still be an issue.

The Russians have developed a specialized 12.7mm (.50 cal) cartridge for use in sniping applications, but the range is only 600 meters. This weapon was designed to be noise suppressed from the beginning.

The US Army is working on making a suppressor for the M107 to be fielded in the near future. (It's in the last paragraph of the article).

In addition to this, I have seen suppressors out there for the Barretts. And no, it's not the muzzle break.

Here is a link to the AR-15 forums that shows a rifle chambered in .50 with a reflex suppressor. Scroll to the bottom of the thread, second to last post.
www.ar15.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by PaddyInf

Originally posted by PaddyInf
Sorry mate but that's just wrong. The M24 can engage in excess of 1000yds, the main limiting factor being the calibre (7.62mm). In the British army snipers and sharpshooters regularly practice at ranges out to 1100m. The annual personal weapon assessment for the L96 requires shoots out to 900m, with the L115A1 test requiring 1100m shots. Bear in mind that these are the most basic tests to be passed before you are even allowed to deploy with the weapon. Other training increases these ranges.

Yep sorry that was a typo, 400m would be ridiculous as a good shooter can achieve that range with an assault rifle. Thanks for correcting me

As a side note I don´t see where people get so much love for 50 cal rifles. They seem not to do anything that another alerady designed weapon systems already do just as well.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by kangjia57
So you tryna say that its not about how good or long range a rifle is,but its all to do with the snipers actual skills to stay undetected and take out targets remaining undetected?

What I'm trying to say is that a shooter can only achieve so much. The rifle is only one part of the equation. However an accurate, ergonomic, reliable and rugged rifle are an essential part of the sniper system. It's the tool that is used to achieve the ain, so it has to be capable. Most modern sniper weapon systems are capable of shooting accurately further than the shooter is capable of aiming it.

A suppressor will reduce the range of the weapon. How much depends on the calibre of the weapon, the bullet type and the type of suppressor. I know that the integrally suppressed version of the L96 has an effective head-shot range of about 200m with NATO ball. The trajectory is like a rainbow, so your range estimation has to be spot on, virtually to the metre. If not the bullet drop is so much that you will always hit dramatically high (meaning a potential miss) or dramatically low (meaning a potentially less damaging hit).

Suppressors on sniper rifles (apart from a select few close range options) are designed to make firer position more difficult to locate. They still make an audiable crack that is quite loud, but are much quieter than the unsuppressed version. They do not make the little "puff-puff" noise that Holywood has made popular.

The British Army are in the process of introducing a new version of the L115, the L115A3. Part of this system is the capability of attaching a sound suppressor.

L115A3 factsheet

[edit on 20-12-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Just saw a documentary that had some new rifle, dont remember what its called. It is made by a Royal Army gunshop, for the US marine corp, It uses a special .50 cal round and its semi auto.
The host of the show was a former seal sniper he took a cold shot, (he'd never fired this rifle before) at a target 2000 yrds away and put it within 3" of the bullseye.
The marine corps representative made a point of mentioning it being an anti-materiel harassment weapon, and not really an anti-personel weapon although it is accurate enough. They were talking about getting off a whole clip of 5 in a couple seconds, and taking out
helicopters, trucks light fighting vehicles, and litely reinforced positions, then being on the move again.
The lack of recoil and its accuracy for being a semiauto were pretty impressive.
I wish I could remember what it was called.
I met a guy that was sniper in viet nam and he used and old wwII issue springfield, and never took a shot longer than 200 yrd. he said they used a really large bullet too, it would cut through the undergrowth.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Was it this one?

Since our posts have to be longer than one line, I'll put something else here

A while back I saw Barrett himself trying to sell his .50 caliber sniper rifles to local police SWAT teams. As if that's not overkill. While they might be useful to an EOD team, I think the concept of police armed with these things is a little overkill. I wonder how much drywall a .50 round could penetrate...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join