It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capital punishment for murder and sex crimes.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I have always been a supporter of capital punishment (CP) for murder, not just mass murderers. What do you think about it for rape. With a killing you have taken someone life. With rape a person is changed for life. The things taken from such a person can not be imagined by someone that hasn't gone through that experience.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This is a tricky subject. Remember that about 12% of all deathrow inmates are innocent. I'm sure we can think of better punishments rather than just killing them.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
O.K. Most rapists are repeat offenders. So we'll give them 1 conviction. Sorry for the second victim. No sarcasm. If we have to be sure, as we should be, then 2 convictions thats it, not a 3rd.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I don't think capital punishment is a good idea for rapists. The judge should sentence them to a sex change in the hopes that he too will one day be raped. That's justice!

[Edited on 2-7-2004 by insite]

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
A small child once asked, "Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?"

Personally I do not support Capital Punishment. Thinking that 'Justice' is being done by subscribing to 'An Eye for an Eye' is to believe that 'Human Suffering and/or Death' can be 'Measured' and attributed to some arbitrary 'Value' of 'Equallity'.

Let me ask you a question, "Do you feel it to be 'Justified or Fair' that you should have a Limb Cut Off, or Your Child/Loved One Killed as long as the Same happens to me?"
"Would that relieve your 'Pain' or 'Sorrow' of the Loss you've Suffered?"
Personally, I don't think I could place such a 'Value' upon the Head of my Child.

What I'm trying to say is that there are some things that can be Taken Away, that all the Death and Anger and Revenge in the World cannot Bring It Back.

Would I want 'Retribution', sure I would! Would I want an Attacker to Suffer the Same Pain they had Caused, almost certainly and probably more! But the only thing that I would 'Truely' want, that would make everything allright, would be to NOT SUFFER the Loss in the first place.

Someone who is Dangerous to Others needs to be removed from every possible way to Harm others. But if Murder is Wrong, then Murder is Wrong. There is NO JUSTIFICATION!! Same goes for Rape or Child Abuse, etc. To do any different is to be a Hypocrite and a Liar.

Could it even be possible for someone to 'Pay Back' what they had taken from someone else? Maybe, Maybe Not. However, Capital Punishment will always make even that maybe, into a Definately Not.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

O.K. Most rapists are repeat offenders. So we'll give them 1 conviction. Sorry for the second victim. No sarcasm. If we have to be sure, as we should be, then 2 convictions thats it, not a 3rd.

I agree unless its a kid or a really brutal rape then death the first time.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

"Would that relieve your 'Pain' or 'Sorrow' of the Loss you've Suffered?"

No .....But the son of a bitch will never rape or kill ANOTHER person

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Mojom, I am not ascribing to the "eye for an eye" stance. Like I said, most rapists are repeat offenders. I am concerned for future victims. I want to see less suffering, because there will be more.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I am not a big proponant of the death sentence for a couple reasons.

1) HUGE waste of money, manpower, courts, etc. If these are the scum of the earth, then why are we spending millions on them.

2) Innocent men could die, which sucks.

3) We have a FREE labor source that could and should be exploited for our own good. Screw sending jobs overseas, not even they will work for free.

4) We need to PUNISH criminals rather than try to make then better citizens. No TV, internet, social time, etc.

5) Seems like a double standard. Why have only one chance to see them suffer, when we could see them suffer for a long long time?

Rape and child molestation should be treated as serial killers. They need to be punished in a way that is like the crimes they commit.

# em.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
There are more technicalities that release criminals than poor decisions that imprison the innocent. We've taken care of the latter. Do you want to take a chance that a rapist with more that one conviction gets released and your child/wife became the next victim? I wouldn't.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Mojom, I am not ascribing to the "eye for an eye" stance. Like I said, most rapists are repeat offenders. I am concerned for future victims. I want to see less suffering, because there will be more.

That's cool, I totally understand where you're coming from. My post wasn't directed at you specifically or anything. It was meant for anyone and everyone in general but directed on a personal level. In fact it wasn't long ago that I would have said the same thing you did. To be totally honest with you too, I pray to god that I never have to be put into a situation where such incredible compassion is required of me either. I openly admit that I am niether Saint nor Buddha and under an extreme test I cannot say for sure that I would pass. But I am trying!

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Do you want to take a chance that a rapist with more that one conviction gets released and your child/wife became the next victim?

I think if they stayed the first year out with a memember of the parole board they would be a lot less sure of there rehabilation.

Naww screw that just shoot the bastards

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Rape is a form of psychological murder. Molestation is murder of the innocence. I think we should put repeat rapists and especially molestors to death. If we dont, they will only do it again. People who are attracted to children have something wrong with thier brain. Its like homosexuality, you cant just get rid of it. They should be shot, because no amount of therapy will fix them, and they can and will ruin childrens lives.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Its like homosexuality, you cant just get rid of it. They should be shot, because no amount of therapy will fix them, and they can and will ruin childrens lives

Sounds as if your okay with shooting off homosexuals aswell.

I believe that Murderers should simply be killed. Thier a waste of resources.

Deep

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I didn't say anything about homosexuals. And I honestly don't get the connection.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It was directed towards JustAnIllusion.

Deep

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
ugh...the comment was comparing the similarity of the two, saying you cannot "get rid" of both of them, that in no way says homosexuality deserves the death penalty like rapists and molestors

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Homosexuality is a sexual preference, and i referred to it, because, you cant get rid of it. People who are attracted to children, cant get rid of that either. You cant choose your sexual preferences. Homosexuality, however, doesnt ruin peoples lives. Child molestation, does. So does rape.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Thank you for the clarification. You worried me there.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
First of all the death penalty for any type of crime is wrong due to many innocent(118) people have been put to death for a crime only to be proven innocent later. The death penalty is more expensive than life imprisonment. It does not deter crime because no one commits these types of crimes thinking thier going to get caught. Also, the death penalty is not applied to every case, justice is not blind and your more than likely to get the death penalty if your of a minority race, overweight, unattractive, poor. What would be best would be life imprisonment for murder with absolutely no chance of parole, 12 hr. workdays even if its moving one pile of gravel from one spot to another all day long. Many murderers are back out on the streets within 6 yrs. so a mandatory life imprisonment would solve that problem. As for other types of crimes I believe our main goal should be rehabilitation not for the criminals sake but for everyone elses, we only have them in our control for a short time, then their back out on the street perhaps living next door to you and me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join