It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capital punishment for murder and sex crimes.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
You cant rehabilitate some things.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Goose that is not so. The inmates would rather move one pile of dirt to another rather to be on their range, a work range equals a higher status. Also these are people that can not be rehabilitated. Look at society as a hand. If you have gangrene in one of your fingers what do you do? If you leave it then you will lose more. If you chop the finger off you save the rest of the hand. It doesn't seem to be a difficult decision.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I believe our main goal should be rehabilitation not for the criminals sake but for everyone elses, we only have them in our control for a short time, then their back out on the street perhaps living next door to you and me.

Not if you blow there #ing head off.

Would you want one of these rehabilitated repeat offenders living next door to you and your kids?

Would you be willing to take responsabilty for there future victoms? thats what you are doing when they are released.

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Would you want one of these rehabilitated repeat offenders living next door to you and your kids?
Would you be willing to take responsabilty for there future victoms? thats what you are doing when they are released.

Good Point. But, what if you became a murderer because of circumstances, not because you just liked killing.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   

But, what if you became a murderer because of circumstances, not because you just liked killing.

I have been in the army and I am a killer.

Does that make me a murderer? Not to me but some might argue that point. I am not talking about people who kill because they have to, or even killing some through negligence. Also there is a difference between two guys who get drunk in a bar and fight and one gets killed and someone who stalks, rapes and kills some woman or child.

The circumstances should be taken into consideration.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I have been in the army and I am a killer.
Does that make me a murderer?
The circumstances should be taken into consideration.

In a sense...Yes. Sorry.

My point exactly...circumstances must be taken into consideration. What if a mafia kills your family for some reason? What do you do when the police don't do anything. Just leave them.

What about killing in self-defense?

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

What if a mafia kills your family for some reason? What do you do when the police don't do anything.

Myself I would kill them and accept the outcome whatever it might be.

But stuff like this is not what I and I think most of the rest of us are talking about, people who kill and rape innocent people.

How do you rape a child in self defense? Did they seduce you? Did they have it coming?

Do you not see the difference?

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Surf, my father was navy, my grandfather army, WW2, are you calling either of them murderers because they stood up and did what they thought they had to do. There is a difference between a soldier a murderer. That is not the idea of this thread. It's about CP for repeat sex offenders.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
A soldier does what he has to to defend his country. I dont think this makes him a murderer. If someone was going to drop a bomb on my country, where my family lives, I would kill them without regret.

I would die for my country . . . but I
would not let my country die for me.
Neil Kinnock

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Goose that is not so. The inmates would rather move one pile of dirt to another rather to be on their range, a work range equals a higher status. Also these are people that can not be rehabilitated. Look at society as a hand. If you have gangrene in one of your fingers what do you do? If you leave it then you will lose more. If you chop the finger off you save the rest of the hand. It doesn't seem to be a difficult decision.

What part is not so? Are you saying something I wrote is not a fact, what part? Society is not going to kill rapists or even all murderers which is why I suggested madatory life without parole instead of killing a few and setting the rest loose on society after only a few years served. Saying rapists should be killed by the death penalty, its just not going to happen, so then the only option is to lock them up for life; thats not likely to happen either, that leaves two options, rehabilitate if possible or not to try anything and set them out on society when their sentence is up. I realize that currently immates want to work, I was saying that immates in for murder should work 12 hr. days, I don't think it would be something of higher status if they all have to work.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

That is not the idea of this thread. It's about CP for repeat sex offenders.

Sorry. My bad. But still killing is killing.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

But still killing is killing.

are you saying that killing in self defense or as a soldier is the same as killing a child or woman for fun?

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   

are you saying that killing in self defense or as a soldier is the same as killing a child or woman for fun?

Yes. The first one is justified in our books, and the second is justified in the killer's books.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

I believe our main goal should be rehabilitation not for the criminals sake but for everyone elses, we only have them in our control for a short time, then their back out on the street perhaps living next door to you and me.

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by Amuk]

First of all they already are living within society perhaps next door to many of us. And many people want them dead but their still there. I bought a lawn mower from a man who seemed very nice, I wrote him a check so I knew his name, a few months later I went to the website that shows sexual predators and there was the SOB pic and name and address. While it is a knee jerk reaction to want to kill these people society and laws do not allow it so what option is left. My point is that rehabilitation is not for the criminals sake it is in the hopes that there won't be any future victims. If society continues to set them free, which would you prefer to move next door one that has served his sentence and received counseling and mental help or one who is just served his sentence. Sure its easy to say kill them but its not going to happen.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I disagree 100%

So it would be wrong for you to kill a man that would kill your child/spouse/parent/etc if you did not kill him?

You would just stand by and watch?

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   

If society continues to set them free, which would you prefer to move next door one that has served his sentence and received counseling and mental help or one who is just served his sentence.

It doesnt really matter they WILL repeat. Child molesters are the MOST repeated crime.

You may not be able to kill them but one moved into our neighborhood a few years back. Thw man was told this was not the right place for him and he needed to move. He didnt and one night a group of people kicked open his door a beat the living # out of him. I mean broken bones beating. They also trashed his house. The man never returned from the hospital, the police questioned us but unfortunitly none of us seen anything.

Thats one way

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Growing up, my best friends mom got remarried to a child molestor. He was supposedly "rehabilitated". Well, I guess it didnt work, and my friend tried to kill herself numerous times. He ruined her life. I think someone who does that deserves to die.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I disagree 100%

So it would be wrong for you to kill a man that would kill your child/spouse/parent/etc if you did not kill him?

You would just stand by and watch?

I'm not sure if you are talking to me, but to answer from my point of view, I would defintely kill in self defense or defense of my family, but the death penalty is not self defense, its not applied but to a select few and others eventually walk out of prison free and many do kill again.
If there is a mandatory sentencing for murder such as life with no parole then the second murder woud not occur.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 03:55 AM
link   
how many times will we have to see mistakes cost lives? the 11 year old girl that was killed this past week was killed because our disgraceful and pathetic legal system let a predator out of prison who was still the same psycopath as when he went in.

in our wonderful country we have a disease. the disease is that there are more people concerned about the rights of criminals than there are concerned about the rights of the rest of society to be protected from animals. a repeat sexual predator should NEVER be allowed back on the street. period.

just look at this Smith guy for instance

Smith has a lengthy criminal past that includes at least 13 arrests and a string of probation assignments. Court records show him as a chronic drug abuser who has been arrested repeatedly for prescription drug fraud, coc aine use and heroin possession.

13 ARRESTS!!! at what point can we finally say "this man has proven he is unable to function in society and must be removed from it"????

it's very nice that all the bleeding heart bull# artists are so worried about Smith's rights. I'm worried about my rights, and my family's rights to have a safe place to live. it's disgusting that those rights don't matter anymore.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
and to answer the question of this thread. i believe smith should be put to death as soon as humanly possible. not as retribution. i dont think the killing of smith will bring his child victim back to her broken family. but as a control. he needs to be removed from society. someone who can attack and murder an 11 year old child should not be walking around. the same way we would put down a dog for biting humans, this animal should be put down. and not after 10 years of litigation. now. how can anyone debate the necessity of removal of a child-murderer????? it truly boggles the mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join