It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there an ignore button when this site is suppost to be denying ignorance?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Ok ! I don't understand why there's an ignore button when this is suppost to be a discussion board and denying ignorance is the Motto ?
When some threads get into heated debates I see the OP puts people on ignore. What good is it to try to discuss and debate an issue if you're being ignored. How can you make a person see the truth if they're ignoring you and other posters? How can the OP that has you on ignore deny ignorance? I just think an ignore button in a discussion board is wrong and should be taken off.

[edit on 12/4/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The ignore button is used, or at least is supposed to be used for, to prevent personal issues from clouding our attempts at denying ignorance. Sometimes you run into people you just don't, or can't, get along with. Hence the ignore feature...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
LOL! Your thread title answers its own question! Okay, so now you can put me on 'ignore'.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Seagull, I could never ignore you.

I just think you should see what people post no matter what. You don't have to read their post, but it should be shown. Everybody else can see the post and if the OP leaves and comes back into the post later, the ignored post are there to see until they ignore them all over again. Maybe it's just me, but I like to see all post good and bad.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Seagull answered it pretty well. The ignore button is for when you feel, you can no longer reason with or you're not interested in what a particular member has to say. You can ignore that person or persons, and then continue to "deny ignorance" without the temptation of breaking ATS etiquette or the Terms and Conditions by getting into heated, personal attacks and fights.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Funny! I still wouldn't put you on ignore. And if someone is clouding the issue then I'd complain to the Mods or something. I've never done that before" complain about someone's post " or put them on ignore.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

OK! Just forget I asked the question.

And worldwatcher you are super!

I just hate it when I see someone actually say they got this person or that person on ignore when there was no wrong done.
Thanks for your answers Seagull & worldwatcher.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It CAN be pretty funny, though. I think people frequently just say they're putting someone on ignore just to shut 'em up.

How often have you seen this exchange?-

Person A: I'm putting you on Ignore

Person B: [Some sort of comment]

Person A: I took you off Ignore to see if you've matured but apparently not so you're going back on Ignore.

And around it goes.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Lol this is a good question man.
I personally would never put someone on ignore but if sometimes there is just people that you really can't deal with.
Sometimes theres even people who purposefully sabotage debates.
It's a shame really

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I put Yeahright on ignore long ago, so I wasn't able to read his post right above the post right above mine.

Peace

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Solar, to be honest, I only have one maybe two people on my ignore list. It is for those posters who are over-bearing and there are a couple of them here...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'm pretty new to all of this, and so I have never used the Ignore button. To my knowledge, I haven't been ignored either.

I can understand why the Ignore button exists, but I doubt I would ever use it. I have gotten pretty angry over opinions expressed by other members, but I still think it's important to see what those opinions are.

I think part of "denying ignorance," is acknowledging that ignorance exists. I'll give an example: If I meet someone who says that the earth is flat, it is obvious that they are wrong. We know that the earth is round, and we have known this for some time. It would be easier for me to ignore a person who refused to accept evidence that the planet is round, but I think that would be wrong to do.

Not everyone might agree with your opinion, and not everyone might believe facts that are right in front of their eyes. Part of fighting any battle is to identify your enemy combatants. In order for me to argue a point, it is important to me to know what alternative opinions are. Even if I think (or know) that those opinions are just wrong.

Disclaimer: I hope this comes out sounding at least semi-coherent. It is hard for me to concentrate with the TV on, and whenever my husband is home, it's on. I need to dig out that pack of earplugs I bought for law school!

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHypnoToad
I need to dig out that pack of earplugs I bought for law school!

Doesn't that make it tough to hear the lectures?

Okay you can ignore me now.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I would never EVER put anyone on ignore, no matter how angry I get at them (and Ive gotten very angry a few times here).

The reason is that filtering out certain aspects of the infinity-of-views equals filtering out the truth. People who make me angry are helping me to grow. They are an invitation for me to "get over it" and learn to remain calm in face of rapid-fire-attack.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

its pretty hard to reason with people that will keep caling you Evil, Devil worshiper and things like that.
times like that its better to use ignore then have to keep on taking the rubbish from the poster who has no intention of a civilized discusion

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Ha! They did make it easier to read at home when my husband was watching TV. Also in the main part of the law library. That place was like freaking Mardi Gras half the time...

That's when I could have used an Ignore button!!

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
i'm glad i decided to read here. i wondered what ignore this user was for under everyone's picture. i thought it was sort of like the signatures everyone has. i am new so i haven't had reason to ignore anyone. but i think it is a good idea to have that option. if you choose to use it, use it. if not, then don't. it should be as simple as that.
some people aren't as strong as others. maybe they are not up to heated debates that one party wants to have and the other party does not. cool idea. i think all forums should have one.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
ok...newb...I haven't used the ignore feeature. how can you tell if you are on ignore or how about if you accidentally put someone on ignore, how can you tell?

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Dont Taze Me Bro

Click on this link to display who you've ignored. As far as I can tell there's no way to know if you are being ignored short of that person ignoring you mentioning it on a thread or something.

Personally I prefer semperfortis' ignore method as posted here. That's a sweet method

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Deny Ignorants

Ah, yes.

I remember when I first got here. The topics were turbulent, drama was rampant and I used the "ignore button" quite a bit.

Good times. Good times.

While I suppose in an ideal world such a feature wouldn't be necessary, there is a demand for it, and to the extent it makes the visits of some members more enjoyable, I can't knock it.

For those who may be interested in some "old school" threads on this perennial topic (and the whole "deny ignorants" versus "deny ignorance" conundrum), I offer the following:

New forum feature! IGNORE!

Down with the IGNORE button!

Why the ignore button?

Ignore button what is it?

No more Ignore!

This is just a sampling. There are many other similar threads that have popped up over the years, and personally I consider the history and controversy surrounding the "ignore button" to be rather fascinating in itself.

Then again, I suppose most members might just as well prefer to ignore it, instead.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join