It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there an ignore button when this site is suppost to be denying ignorance?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
At first, I vowed never to use it....but, my list is full up and suffers from regular updating because some people are immature and really like acting the idoit on this site.

Especially those who post blinded theories, make no sense and then accuse you of being a member of the CIA cause you proved them wrong. Or, being called a Zionist for pointing out that not all Israeli's support their government and are not to blame for everything in the world
And stalkers too...yeah, sounds crazy, but you will get a member who follows you and attacks every single thread you post in.

In other words, the ignore feature is a great thing

If you know who you are and what you believe, why fear them? Who are they that they should intimidate you? Confront ignorence and it will soon fail. Ignore ignorence and it will thrive and spread.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Just 'ignore it'.

Sometimes there are people that you know are not contributing in a way that helps you to better understand whats going on. So, you ignore them.

In some cases, it can be people with strong view points who dont want to deny ignorance, and want to keep biased view points without laying the cards on the table and stepping away from the beliefs handed to them of their milieu.

In short it turns into arguing, etc. And its better just not seeing it for some.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

If you know who you are and what you believe, why fear them? Who are they that they should intimidate you? Confront ignorence and it will soon fail. Ignore ignorence and it will thrive and spread.

Ignorance never opens its mind to another perspective...herein lies the problem. You waste your time talking to people who dont want to learn and from whom you gather no useful info from. (except the virtue of learning patience.)

Peace

dAlen

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

In other words, the ignore feature is a great thing

I agree. It is easy to be condescending towards those who use it, but I don't post here to be called names, especially if those names don't apply to me, and I don't come here to have my threads hi-jacked by individuals who really haven't a clue as to what I am saying or even what they themselves are talking about.So, rather than suffer their incessant ramblings, I place them on ignore.

Of course, there are very few who are or ever will be on my ignore list, but once you're on it, you're on it. There is not a reprieve from that one.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Thanks for all in insight folks.
I guess I'll just ignore the ignore button. I know it gets hectic in here sometimes, but that's part of the fun in my mind.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I wish other threads had the method of communication this one does. Some of us will ignore, but others will engage, yet... we will still have discourse.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

You always have a choice.

Being a mod is a voluntary job. If I wanted to ignore anyone that badly, I could get my button back.

I'm not worried about it though, I like everybody here too much to ever want to ignore them. It's not like I'm posting on usenet anymore.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

ermm...no.

Trolls are annoying and that's why I use the ignore button.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Of course, there are very few who are or ever will be on my ignore list, but once you're on it, you're on it. There is not a reprieve from that one.

Heh. It's only a matter of time ...

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Nah, Major, I doubt you'll ever make my ignore list. If that were to happen, it would have happened a long time ago.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Are you sure? All the chastizing you do, and all that jazz ...

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Hi Solar,
I understand and appreciate your sentiments. There is only one person I have on Iggy because I just could not stand the vomit that spewed from their keyboard. I did it more to protect myself from replying in angst than anything. I find enough trouble as it is. It is an appropriate failsafe. Best regards, and Happy New Year.
John

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
My personal belief is when you press the "Ignore" button, you are conceding defeat.

When you press ignore the only person you are labeling as possibly ignorant, is you.

There is no shame in admitting the two squabblers will never agree and find some common ground to continue the discussion, rather than doing the equivalent of taking your big, red ball and going home because you might be loosing the game, or don't agree with all of the rules.

More often, than not, I see the ignore button being threatened by those who can't get someone else to agree with them. Something along the lines of "You don't agree with me? You're an idiot and I am now placing you on the official ignore list!".

One other point to consider, what makes "you" correct and the other guy ignorant? What if the only person being ignorant is the one who desperately tries to create their own reality by eliminating those from the discussion who disagree with them?

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Slighly par, I think you would have to agree that certain individuals like nothing more to give rancorous vaporous rebuttals for the sake of riling feathers. Amended, make that two Iggys. And low and behold your post disappeared in the two minutes it took me to lay down this post. HMMM.

[edit on 2-1-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Ha, funny.
Kinda like why are there braille signs and buttons on drive up ATM's?

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I can see the value of an "Ignore" button, truly, now I do. I didn't before.

ATS is a community like any other - all types, dorks, religious yo-yo's, shills for cults, pervs, movie promoters, gatekeepers, people with bowel trouble, even a few really good people and that's just since this morning! Some have half a brain, some a full load of good software. Some can even spell. I haven't used the ignore button until now. Er, rather in a minute, I will for one dork.

I love this one moderator "Intrepid". He is so mui-macho. Big hug for that man.
I have a crush on him.

Mira

[edit on 2-1-2008 by Mira_of_lurk0more]

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Intrepid and Springer have helped me out a a jam or two when I probably should have been sent packing. Yes, Mira, there are indeed very good people on this board. And some not so good.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
Why is there an ignore button when this site is suppost to be denying ignorance?

Because whackadoos show up from time to time and it's not worth the time to argue with them over and over and over and over .....

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
My mistake, make that Vanguard and Springer that have helped me out of a couple jams. Although I'm sure Intrepid is 'all that' as well.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Sometimes certain persons take things a little too personally and they in turn would avoid the mean and nasty bunch – strangers and former friends. Some are not necessarily out to break our rose-colored glasses or burst our fragile bubbles of ego; but by pressing the ‘Ignore’ button we are in effect denying the truth about ourselves and our surroundings.

‘Ignore’ is something I use to report spam mostly via email. Since I’m still a newbie, I’ve not had the pleasure of pressing that convenient ‘Ignore’ button on those whose opinions and belief differ from mine yet matter in my personal improvement. I’ve been pretty much 'ignored' so far. BUT I will not be denied either!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join