It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Says Iran Ended Atomic Arms Work

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Originally posted by grover

After the past few months rhetoric, if Iran had stopped their nuclear weapond program, I am sure they are now reconsidering that move.

The question is why did they stopped the nuclear weapons program in the first place? What exactly persuaded them to stop?

They never stopped it. They just changed the name from "Nuclear Weapons program" to "Peaceful Nuclear Energy Program",

The point is they never stopped pursuing certain nuclear knowledge in which to make nuclear weapons. which is the "enrichment" part of it.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

U.S. Says Iran Ended Atomic Arms Work

www.nytimes.com

By MARK MAZZETTI 3 minutes ago
A new assessment by American intelligence agencies concludes that Iran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003 and that the program remains on hold, contradicting a previous intelligence report.
The assessment, a National Intelligence Estimate that represents the consensus view of all 16 American spy agencies, states that Tehran’s ultimate intentions about gaining a nuclear weapon remain unclear, but that Iran’s “decisions are guided by a cost-benefit approach rather than a rush to a weapon irrespective of the political, economic and military costs.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Now that the news about who wrote the NIE is out (people with known agendas) we can better understand why it says what it says.
www.newsmax.com...
News flash: We invaded Iraq in 2003. Iran claims to have halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003. What a coincidence. They haven't apologized for threatening to wipe Israel off the map. Is anyone holding their breath waiting for that to happen?

Intelligence by committee and chaired by a diplomat? And they make fun of "military intelligence"?

The NIE was all about embarrassing Bush. Nothing more, certainly not anything other than promoting more diplomacy.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pesky george
It seems apparent, to me, that this issue boils down to 2 possibilities:

1) This administration knew the facts and purposely lied.

2) this administration had no idea what is going on.

Either way leadership must change. Impeachment seems to be the best way to solve this lack of leadership.

We as a nation must do what is necessary to prove to our nation and the world that we will not stand for leaders that lie, or are too ignorant to see the truth.

G.W. Bush did promise that even the appearance of impropiety would not be tolerated in his administration.

If impeachment was the solution.... think back a few years....

Most of the Senators and Congressmen who voted to impeach Clinton would not have been pleased to have made Al Gore the President. George Bush was not stupid when he picked Dick Cheney to be his impeachment insurance, oops, I mean Vice President.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by CharlesMartel]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CharlesMartel

He never said `wiped from the map` in his speach - stop posting the cnn / fox words as , well there wrong.

what he said (in Farsi)

Imam ghoft een rezhim-e ishghalgar-e qods bayad az safheh-ye ruzgar mahv shavad.

The full quote translated directly to English:

"The Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time".

Word by word translation:

Imam (Khomeini) ghoft (said) een (this) rezhim-e (regime) ishghalgar-e (occupying) qods (Jerusalem) bayad (must) az safheh-ye ruzgar (from page of time) mahv shavad (vanish from).

Pay attention to what was said - he is talking about a regime change not war.

there have been regime changes without war - The removal of the Shah of Iran and the collapse of the Soviet Union are 2 such examples and specific ones he used in that `world without zionism` speech.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Now that the coven master Himself has said it :

Cheney: No reason to doubt the new intelligence report on Iran

US Vice President Dick Cheney on Thursday said he had no reason to doubt a new US intelligence report assessing that Iran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003.

www.jpost.com...

It is a rallying call to the hordes of darkness. It is time for the fledglings to bicker no more , to withdraw back to the foul lair with him to hatch your plot for another day . .

[edit on 6-12-2007 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
As to why Iran halted its nuclear weapons program, you would have to ask them... this administration is so truth challenged, it will never come from them, or if it does it will be spun in such a way to make junior look good.

As for why any culture would give up an advanced technology... look no further that Japan. It is a little known fact that in the 16th century they began first importing, and then making their own guns and then stopped and banned them. The Shoguns of the time decided that guns did not fit into their highly structured and ritualized society and so chose to do without them (though they kept the knowledge of how to make them) until Japan was reopened to the west in the middle 19th century.

I am not saying that this is the case with Iran, or Libya for that matter, at the same time both nations have decided for the time being (and it is always for the time being) to forgo their nuclear ambitions.

I doubt seriously bush minor's mastery of diplomatic skills (scarcasm there folks)
really had anything to do with either case... On such a level as nuclear weapons, Nations think only of their best interests. I am sure both nations decided, far from being cowed by Washington, that they could achieve their goals more effectively (and cheaper) through other means...

.... which we have yet to see.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by grover]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
the UK gave up space launch capability and south africa dismantled there very own nuclear weapons.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Here we go again. Of course the U.S. Government is lying to us.

This evil Bush and his cronies....He somehow managed to convince 77 senators to go to war in Iraq on cooked up information.

I don't know what scares me more - that we have a president who is "accused of lying" or 77 U.S. Senator's who are so stupid that they believed the past intellegence without question.

But, I guess it has to be Bush who lied - because this Ak-ma-dick-i-shad is a pillar of society. He wants everyone to live in peace and harmony!!!

Get out the guitars, start the campfires, everyone get ready for a nice round of cum-by-ad.!!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfTom

Get this through your head... This is not about Iran or the Iranian president.

This is about the United States and its President.
This is the 2nd time around bush minor has lied about another nations weapons programs.... in case you forgot he bantered about the threat of a mushroom cloud from Iraq as well and he was not just mildly wrong then, he was so far off base as to not even be in the ball park. Then he starts going on the same way about Iran. Either he has the worst intelligence apparatus of any president ever or he runs fast and loose with the truth.

So does he have any crediblity left? I think not.

Even though he couldn't say it right the phrase goes.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Oh, my, God....

whine, whine, whine. The same old talking points,,, It's about Bush. Bush lied, he lied, he misled.

Take the bad man away, he scares me!!!!

Don't make me laugh!!!!!

No, why don't you Bush haters get it through your heads, He is going on information that comes from the intel community.

Okay - don't tell me to get some thing through my head. How dare you insult me!

My point is, how can we believe the intel community. This comes from the same agencies that said their were WMD's in Iraq. And now we are supposed to believe them?

Now, get something else through your head - 77 senators VOTED to go to war - not Bush. He needed THEIR approval.

I've read many or your posts grover, you happen to be the most insulting, disrespectful poster on this site. You think you have the last word on everything and you are the "authority" on all topics you post.

Quite frankly I'm a little sick and tired of your bullying tactics.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I think there should be NO QUESTION that this administration lacks credibility and they should not be trusted.

Our "intelligence" services need an overhaul and go to the basics of information gathering, the thing is IMO that they are relying too much on technology rather than placing people in places.

I don't think that these too are reliable at this time, for good and bad. We are in a dangerous situation now as we see this unfold I feel that this country is more vulnerable than ever, with no reliable intelligence service, damage international relations with key allies.

No one is going to believe anything this country says for the next 20 years, and instead of being in a position of prevention of terrorism, we are going to be on a position of reacting, all thanks to this administration.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I wonder if this report is an attempt by the intelligence community to head off an attack on Iran?

Apparently it's not only the American intel agencies that think Iran's nuclear arms programme was cancelled years ago - telephone intercepts which British listening posts had picked up and it seems likely the US acquired a high-ranking Iranian defector in Turkey last year, too.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Oh please.... The senators were only given the information the administration wanted them to have. History has shown us that that information was cherry picked and often unverified, even more often from unreliable sources that the intelligence agencies warned the administration about. Rumsfeld even stood in front of a camera and swore he knew exactly where the WMDs were. All BS.

Present day: Bush has just spent the last few months imposing sanctions on Iran because we supposedly KNEW the Iranians were working on a nuclear weapon. He's been talking about mushroom clouds, world war III, Iranian nuclear weapons programs, all that don't exist. The nations entire intelligence community say that there's no evidence of them. They're not saying the previous evidence was wrong, they're saying that there simply IS no evidence. So once again, Bush's rhetoric has turned out to be based on lies.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
I wonder if this report is an attempt by the intelligence community to head off an attack on Iran?

The NIE was requested by Congress a year ago and was delayed because of new information. I personally think it could have been requested because of the reason you mentioned, but by different people.

This article is very informative on several aspects of the NIE.

The new NIE on Iranian nukes, requested by Congress about a year ago, was originally supposed to have been completed last spring. However, several months ago intelligence officials told NEWSWEEK that completion of the report had been put on hold while "new information" about Iran's nuclear program was being evaluated.

Anatomy of a Turnabout

Originally posted by ProfTom
I don't know what scares me more - that we have a president who is "accused of lying" or 77 U.S. Senator's who are so stupid that they believed the past intellegence without question.

Take your pick. The fact is we invaded a country and they were wrong. There were no WMD's. With all the families that have lost loved ones in this war as well as all the civilians that have been killed, is all you care about is that your president doesn't take the blame?

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Damn people, they really have you all. Bush is not in charge here when he says something that isnt true he knows damn well it isnt true and the Dems know it's not true and dont care either. Why because they are all good little soldiers playing there part, none of them are "in control" they are all told what to do, all of them, because a prerequasit for being a politicion is that you do what you are told, you pretend that you hate the Dems if you are a Rep and vise versa. These people do not represent us, but they are here to keep us thinking that through them we have a chance. It's classic misdirection, Bush is no more evil then Clinton or Oboma, they are all just puppets of your real enemy, but you'll never know that because you all are fighting about what these idiots say. The bottom line here with this Iran thing really has to do with this Isreali Palastinian peace deal. Thats the issue, thats what this is about. They just want this to happen right at this moment that is the main goal, not Bush's goal, he doesnt care about a Palastinian state, but those who control Bush, those people that you will never see, those people who you don't know, somehow connected with that whole Bildaberg group thing. So this all has to do with a Palastinian state nothing more find the connection and you can find the reason.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thereallgone
Damn people, they really have you all.

But not you. You’re too smart for them, right?

Bush is not in charge here when he says something that isnt true he knows damn well it isnt true and the Dems know it's not true and dont care either.

Did you figure that out all by yourself?

you pretend that you hate the Dems if you are a Rep and vise versa. These people do not represent us, but they are here to keep us thinking that through them we have a chance. It's classic misdirection,

Yes, that’s why they constantly bicker and get nothing done in Congress. They are in cahoots to get the American public to think both parties are worthless.

Bush is no more evil then Clinton or Oboma,

I beg to differ. With democrats it is a case of the lesser of two evils.

So this all has to do with a Palastinian state nothing more find the connection and you can find the reason.

So you’re saying that the US is threatening to attack Iran because of the Palestinians? You have got to be joking. The two are unrelated. If you think you are so smart then explain this connection or it sounds like you don’t know what you are talking about.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
[well first let's not kid ourselves all gov'ts lie. iran was telling the truth on this one, and u.s was most likely lying.

Wasn't it 7 Nov that Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad addresses thousands people in the northeastern city of Birjandin, and says that Iran has built a landmark 3,000 centrifuges for uranium enrichment?

Here is June 8th..

Abdolreza Rahmani-Fazli, Deputy Secretary of the Iranian Supreme National Security Council, was recently quoted as saying that Iran currently has 1,600 active centrifuges for enriching uranium and that Iran is installing 3,000 centrifuges in the Natanz nuclear facility. The Deputy Secretary also said that Iran plans to construct more than 50,000 of these centrifuges in the future.

With 3000 they can build a bomb within a year.

Now the big question is building a bomb what they want to to?

anyway i am by no means perfect, but the basic sentiment that scarr brings up in his post "it's too scary to believe the gov't lies" is so conveinently true in many cases.

think about it? how easy is it to just say "nah the gov't is telling the truth, anyone who disagree's is unpatriotic or a nut"? not much thought involved there. free to continue ignorant bubble and bliss

If you think about it just what has the US Government been lying about? All these UN sanctions have been based on Iran not stopping plutonium production. The UN/US has been telling them to stop production because we could not determine whether that production was going towards nukes or fuel. The fact that the US viewed they were going towards both is not lies, and now this report really doesn’t go into whether they plan to do any future Bomb production it is hard to say what they will do. If they do get 50,000 of these centrifuges they could make enough bomb grade plutonium anytime they want.

Is there anyone on this site that believes they do not want to have they own nukes at some point in time?

[edit on 7-12-2007 by Xtrozero]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
They're not producing plutonium. Centrifuges only produce enriched Uranium, and so far they've only reached 3% purity. You need something like 85% to build a backyard bomb, 98% for the real deal.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
They're not producing plutonium. Centrifuges only produce enriched Uranium, and so far they've only reached 3% purity. You need something like 85% to build a backyard bomb, 98% for the real deal.

See? Thats exactly what everyone doesn't understand.

Good job mythatsabigprobe for looking into this so much further than most.

He's absolutely right. A nuclear detonation requires 85 to 95% purity to achieve an efficient and desasterous chain reaction. Anything below that and all you can do with it is basic fission.

What are you going to do with that? Provide electricity to them to death?
lol

It's actually the 5% marker that Iran hasn't made it past, but either way, that means they have 80% left to go... and their research program has been running for how long? 7 years now?

If they wanted nukes, they'd already have them clearly they are only seeking electricity.

It's the ignorance of the US Citizens that allows the US government to deny every day citizens in Iran from having affordable electricity.
To me, thats pretty sick.

[edit on 7-12-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfTom

77 senators voted to go to war based on intelligence the bush administration provided, which they had maniuplated and cherry picked to suit their agenda.... which was to go to war.

Hardly an informed decision.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join