It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Says Iran Ended Atomic Arms Work

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Wait and see-- as has been mentioned so called `Intelligence` has been wrong before (Iraq *cough*) although this is very welcomed - im concerned how the Israelies will react - they have stated they will not allow a ME country to even remotely have the capability , even if that means using a reactor for power - so my very well go it alone.

They aattacked the USA to try and shut them up (golan heights after the cease fire - the USS Liberty was recording the intel on the attack)

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
So... ah... when do reparations start for the illegal sanctions?

Seems to me that the US Administration has been causing un-lawful harm to Iran based on no evidence. Time ta start paying the piper?

Maybe this will finally be the wake up call to both the administration and the people of the US that interfering with other nations is not the way to work towards a better world. Maybe all involved will come to understand that a little trust and understanding can...

BWAAHAHAHAA!!

Sorry, I almost got through that with a straight face.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I remember reading about a month ago that the NIE report was overdue and there was some concern about why it was being delayed. So now we know.

Cheney must be livid..

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
I remember reading about a month ago that the NIE report was overdue and there was some concern about why it was being delayed. So now we know.

Cheney must be livid..

There has been a lot of talk about how the NIE undercuts the White House, proving them wrong on Iran. However, I believe those who are saying such things are focusing just on the headline of the story, and not the substance. As of right now, the White House is embracing the report, because they believe it proves them right.

According to this article from the AP, the NIE states that although Iran halted its nuclear weapons program, it could resume it and have a nuclear weapon within 3 to 8 years. The NIE believes that Iran has the capability of building a bomb, if it so desires. The CIA suggests in the report that Iran may just appear to have halted the program, but may be continuing it in secret.

Further, the NIE suggests that Bush has been engaging in the right strategy to dissuade Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. It even goes so far as to suggest one of the mitigating factors in the halt of the program was the US invasion of Afghanistan.

So far from "Cheney being livid," Cheney and company are probably gloating right about now.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Actually this report has more to do with intragovermental infighting than anything else. Remember the movie Wag the Dog, when the CIA announced that hostilities with Albania were over? Same MO here.

Cheney & the Neocon PNACers want war with Iran in the worst way. They've pushed an operatic escalation of tensions, based on fear and bs, to create the impression of the inevitability of conflict just as they did with Iraq, using the mushroom cloud as the ultimate boogie man. The military and the intel agencies aren't that mad and have done everything possible to forestall it and derail it.

Well, here's your CIA trump card. It's all a game being played out in the media.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by gottago]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Ha Ha all the dumb ass war mongers aren't going to be very happy when they see this report.

Oh no what are you going to do now? Iraq is much more stable, you can't go to Iran. I'm sure you'll be able to think of somebody else to bomb the #### out off.

I know why don't you move down your little list put your finger on number two and what you got?

CHAVEZ!

This report is excellent news. sixteen intelligence agencies all concluding they've stopped work on the bomb In 2003. Only the most dumbest of war mongers will deny this report.

Peace N Love.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by paul76
Ha Ha all the dumb ass war mongers aren't going to be very happy when they see this report.

This report is excellent news. sixteen intelligence agencies all concluding they've stopped work on the bomb In 2003. Only the most dumbest of war mongers will deny this report.

Peace N Love.

Looks like someone else who read the headline, and not the actual story.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by gottago

Yet another person who has not read the article, just the headline. Your response attempts to disguise a lack of substance with buzzwords and boring cliches. Go back, read the article.

The CIA suggests in the report that it may be the case that Iran is still engaging in a nuclear weapons program; they also state it may be inevitable that Iran develops or returns to their nuclear weapons program.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
so basically not matter what the NIE reports, Iran could "quite possibly" continue the weapons program? I thought that Iran was looking for nuclear energy not weapons. Plus we aren't exactly being that friendly with Iran so I think we are just asking for trouble. Anyways, I guess the US will find a reason to bomb Iran and any country who wants nuclear capabilities whether it's weapons or energy.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Another reason to add to my list of "Why the Bush Administration can't attack Iran".

Basically it all has come down to is that they COULD NOT SELL this war, they tried but they fail.

They could not sell it to the people, to Congress, to the agencies, to the military, I don't even think that Halliburton or Blackwater bought into this one. (laugh intended)

What this report does IMO is to put the final nail in the coffin to this ugly thing that they want it to put in motion

The Israel side now is the one that we should focus now, that is until a new U.S. Administration comes to power. That is because this guys can still use Israel to launch a proxy attack on Iran.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

"16 American spy agencies"? Can somebody list them all? I didn't know we had that many.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
What Hadley said is that we know that they stopped in 2003 but we don't know if they started it back up and what they are doing now. So how do you come to the conclusion that they have stopped if they did start a program? Why would they stop? They don't act like they have stopped. If they did they would come clean on the program that they had and let inspectors go everywhere they please just like Libya.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

I can give you the link to BBC, they have a pdf-link to the original rapport.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Actually I think there are a lot more (some secret) agencies of intel than 16.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I suspect that if the truth were known the bush/cheney regime wanted this report silenced and that forces within those agencies, already annoyed with the liars in this administration released it anyway.

Of course with all this egg on their faces they are spinning spinning spinning to make the idiot look good.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Ahhh, excuse me but,

Aren't these the same people who said that saddam had weapons of mass destruction? If so, weren't they wrong?

If these intelligence agencies were wrong in the past, what makes them right now?

How can we trust their information today?

What have they done differently to make this information correct when they were not correct about WMD's?

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I suspect that if the truth were known the bush/cheney regime wanted this report silenced and that forces within those agencies, already annoyed with the liars in this administration released it anyway.

Of course with all this egg on their faces they are spinning spinning spinning to make the idiot look good.

Have you read any of the articles on this topic, or are you just latching on to the headline?

If anything, the White House believes this report supports their rhetoric, and believes it provides additional justification for the Iraq War. The White House wanted this report released.

Before everyone starts celebrating that this report means "peace in our time" or that it somehow proves Bush is evil, I would suggest taking a step back, taking a deep breath, and actually reading the articles about it. You'll see it does not change a thing.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

wow so iran is only growing mushrooms in all its underground research facilities buried so deep it would take a ground penetrator bomb followed by a tact-nuke into the same hole in order to wipe out the illicit mushroom growing operation-----------imagine that ! iran must be growing the worlds most expensive mushrooms

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfTom
Ahhh, excuse me but,

Aren't these the same people who said that saddam had weapons of mass destruction? If so, weren't they wrong?

If these intelligence agencies were wrong in the past, what makes them right now?

How can we trust their information today?

What have they done differently to make this information correct when they were not correct about WMD's?

They knew Iraq didn't have WMD'S they were simply lying as an excuse to go to war.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I agree with others that I am hopeful this report is true, but will remain cautious. From one perspective it is good that the program has been on hold, but it does show that Iran did have a nuclear bomb program. However, I find something else interesting about this report being released.

Does anyone know if this report was first given to the White house before being declassified and made public? If so how long have they known? If it is just now being delivered to the White house and being made public at the same time, that would be a first.

From the article:

The administration called new attention to the threat posed by Iran earlier this year when President Bush had suggested in October that a nuclear-armed Iran could lead to “World War III” and Vice President Dick Cheney promised “serious consequences” if the government in Tehran did not abandon its nuclear program.

Yet at the same time officials were airing these dire warnings about the Iranian threat, analysts at the Central Intelligence Agency were secretly concluding that Iran’s nuclear weapons work halted years ago and that international pressure on the Islamic regime in Tehran was working.

It could be that GW didn't have this intel before making his WW3 statement, but that would also mean this intel is being made public in an unprecedented amount of time. Or if he did know this at the time he made this statement, then he is again misleading the American public and being caught in the act.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Sorry, I don't buy the fact that they were lying. That is a cop-out.

If I were to believe that, then every senator who voted to go to war, knew about WMD's and that they were lying and they voted to go to war anyway.

Not possible, to many people hate bush to have gone along with a lie of that magnatude.

You may want to look at this link - CNN on the vote to go to war - 75-25.

archives.cnn.com...

Now, if you want to say that 75 senators lied - okay, but, how come the other 25 against did not come out and say they lied???

See why I have such a problem with this?

[edit on 4-12-2007 by ProfTom]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join