It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Says Iran Ended Atomic Arms Work

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
Does anyone know if this report was first given to the White house before being declassified and made public? If so how long have they known? If it is just now being delivered to the White house and being made public at the same time, that would be a first.

I believe that the report was made available to the President about three weeks ago. I'm looking to verify that, and will post the link once I find it...

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

a direct link to the actual report (apparantly) maybe have a read then comment appropriately

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
.......... It's WAR ...........

.........between white and black side of bush's agencies....

....( some generals don't like to begin an other true war...?...)....

..........(see for exemple the warning of Zbigniew Brzeziński in april )....

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by scarrr

Originally posted by johnsky

I'd start re-drawing your lines of trust right about now.

That simple. They're telling the truth, your government is lying.

oh but it's just too SCARY to think of THAT!

well first let's not kid ourselves all gov'ts lie. iran was telling the truth on this one, and u.s was most likely lying.

the funny thing to me here without angering anyone is that most here say "ya i wan't to know the truth" not even questioning if they really do?

they just say that because to say otherwise "sounds" so pathetic and corrupt but many live in blissful ignorant bubbles anyway

some people don't have the belief systems to handle some things, and if they are determinted they work on those things so that they (the student) becomes ready and then the teacher appears . you know the line

anyway i am by no means perfect, but the basic sentiment that scarr brings up in his post "it's too scary to believe the gov't lies" is so conveinently true in many cases.

think about it? how easy is it to just say "nah the gov't is telling the truth, anyone who disagree's is unpatriotic or a nut"? not much thought involved there. free to continue ignorant bubble and bliss

how bout asking yourself hey "say the gov't is lying am i prepared to handle that, say xyz is closer to the truth than i thought, would i be able to handle that, and if not is that why i may be dismissing it, before i even look at it critically, or is that i just done really care because i would rather use my time watching the latest tv show. seriously

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfTom

I think they voted without thinking and in the way their constituents wanted them to because they were misled. But this isn't about the Iraq war, it about not starting another war with Iran without asking questions first. Believe what you want.

reply to post by SaviorComplex

I think the only way this report could have been declassified this fast is if GW declassified it himself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If he did, why? If not then who declassified it?

reply to post by Harlequin

The only thing I saw in the report was that the information was current up to 31 October 2007, which was after GW's WW3 statement. So I guess that means he had no clue up to the time he received this report of Iran's nuclear capabilities since the last NIE report.

I don't know which is worse. Him not knowing or being misleading. It is a scary scenario either way.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

SC

Have a little more skepticism about what you read in the papers.

My my point is that this is a propaganda game that has little to do with whether Iran is actually going to make a bomb or not. It's about conflicting agendas within the US govt, playing out in the media.

So what if they get the bomb in the end? For Chrissakes, even the Pakis have the bomb. Get real.

It's about oil, and wanting to whack a country that's not toeing the line.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
It seems apparent, to me, that this issue boils down to 2 possibilities:

1) This administration knew the facts and purposely lied.

2) this administration had no idea what is going on.

Either way leadership must change. Impeachment seems to be the best way to solve this lack of leadership.

We as a nation must do what is necessary to prove to our nation and the world that we will not stand for leaders that lie, or are too ignorant to see the truth.

G.W. Bush did promise that even the appearance of impropiety would not be tolerated in his administration.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Good thinking, why not invade any country that's being secretive, bomb them back to the stone age, no country has the right to have secrets from the US. The US is the most important country in the world, they are entitled to know everything about everybody, because they are the US, and we all know the US is simply beautiful, and pure of mind and thought, perish the thought that the US might be fallible. Perish the thought that the US might be secretive heehee. Perish the thought that the US might.... do what ever they damn well want when ever they want and ***k everybody else.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by willywagga

I understand your angry, but I'm not quite sure why you're angry with me, or what you take issue with in my post. I've read over it twice more, and still am not sure what the problem is.

At no point have I said I think the United States should go to war with Iran. At no point have I said I believe anyone, be it Iran or the US is lying. All I have done is urge caution; the report is not proof of anything other than Iran had a nuclear weapons program, one that is currently suspended. It is not proof-positive that someone or another is lying, nor is it a document that will help forge peace in our time. If anything, it is going to enforce the status-quo, and from what I've read, may even embolden the White House.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

I think the only way this report could have been declassified this fast is if GW declassified it himself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If he did, why? If not then who declassified it?

The official line is that it was released to provide accurate information in the debate over Iran, as the last report (2005) said Iran did have a nuclear weapons program.

But, the declassification may have been expediated by the President because the White House believes the findings support their stance.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pesky george

I believe than when 9-11 happen they were going to attack Iraq then Iran, what they didn't expect was the insurgency.

The insurgency is what kept us from attacking Iran. But they still try to push for war only to find no allies in the international community and no allies in this country. All this reports now show that there is no impending danger coming from Iran and that diplomacy is still working.

Edit to add:

Funny how at simple change of doctrine combined with some ego also saved us from engaging in another war.

If we had used the Powell doctrine instead of Rumsfeld approach to the Iraq War, we must certainly had save ourselves from the insurgency factor at the degree that we had suffer and that would have prompted the hawks to attack Iran.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
This is what GW said in a press conference today.

Iran remains a danger to the world even though it stopped a program to develop a nuclear weapon four years ago, President Bush said Tuesday.

"Iran was dangerous, Iran is dangerous and Iran will be dangerous if they have the knowledge necessary to make a nuclear weapon," Bush said, pointing out that Tehran continues to try to enrich uranium for civilian purposes and therefore develop technology that could be used for a weapon.

Bush: Nuke-less Iran remains dangerous

There is also more WW3 talk from Hadley saying this report doesn't change anything.

Iran's response:

Iran's ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Ali Asghar Soltanieh, said Tuesday that even the allegations that Tehran was pursuing a nuclear weapon up to 2003 were false.

"I categorically reject any allegation that Iran has had before, has now and will have [such a program] because a nuclear weapon is not in our defense decree," Soltanieh said.

"We are of the belief that a nuclear weapon would create a vulnerability and therefore we are and have and will be against nuclear weapons," he said.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is the US government's attempt to take out Achmedinejad, by turning his own supporters against him.

(notice, I'm not commenting on whether or not Iran is actually working toward nukes. That question is lost in a mire of double and triple-reverse psychology to the extent that you and I have no way of knowing. I'm talking about the intent of US intel in releasing this report!)

Basically, this is the USA saying "Iran is all bluster---and CAN'T build a bomb."

What are Iranians supposed to make of this? The Great Satan is calling their leader a liar. So they turn to A-jad to see what he will respond with. He has two choices:

a) admit that Iran isn't working on a bomb.
This will cause his supporters in Iran and the Middle East to decide that he's a power-mad psychopomp who likes to threaten war with the superpower just to get attention. They decide that he was practically begging the US to bomb Iran. Stay tuned as he gets replaced by the Ayatollah's new favorite--a moderate.

b). Show proof that Iran REALLY IS working on a bomb.
And thus give the US all the justification it needs to launch a multilateral move against it, just like it did vs. Saddam in Gulf War One.

Basically, US Intel thinks that A-jad has finally shouted himself into a corner, and they are hoping to force regime-change by making him put his money where his mouth is.

hardly a move toward peace.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I would say that we have to wait a while and see how this is played out in the MSM. If they go the peace way and emphizise (spelling?) the peace part of this report then we might be heading in the peace direction. But if they direct their attention towards the "maybe's" in the report, probobly from the direction of the puppet masters in the white house, then this report will not benefit the greater good of peace and understanding. Spiraling us further down the **** of a mess we are in.

-Bastu

[edit on 4-12-2007 by bastupungen]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I found another article referring to when GB received the report as well as the declassified report released to the public.

A full report was provided to Bush last week before a declassified version was given to U.S. legislators by Michael McConnell, the director of national intelligence.

Nuclear weapons bombshell for Bush

So it appears he received it just before being made public, which answers my question.

Senator Joe Biden had a few things to about this. I'm not posting this article to be a basher, but because of JB's reaction when hearing that GB said he just learned of the intelligence last week.

I will refrain from saying anything more about this article, but... um...wow.

Biden takes aim at Bush's 'charade' on Iran

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Thing is they stopped their program BEFORE scantions were in place or before team bush minor started heating up their rhetoric so it really doesn't prove their point at all.

If anything it proves that the administration indulges in inflamatory rhetoric in the international arena without the knowledge to back them up. A dangerous and foolhardy practice.

After the past few months rhetoric, if Iran had stopped their nuclear weapond program, I am sure they are now reconsidering that move.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover

After the past few months rhetoric, if Iran had stopped their nuclear weapond program, I am sure they are now reconsidering that move.

The question is why did they stopped the nuclear weapons program in the first place? What exactly persuaded them to stop?

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

probably the cost v effectiveness,

if they are intent on just processing spent fuel rods in centrifuges to get
a small ammount of enriched uranium that can be their 'cover'
for awhile.
But in the several years it takes to get enriched uranium , which is no way weapons grade yet, thy willhave several years of machining & bomb building engineering as a ongoing expensive operation.
Why not just mothball the weapons portion of their budding nuclear technology...until they can see a cost - reward ratio narrow down to only several hundred million of the money units they use.

or else, as i suggested in another thread some days ago, Iran & the USA
are in a covert mutual benefit dynamic and never intend to actually war with one another... the puppet-masters have decided that for both our leaderships...its all just a show for fear & anxiety in the populaces!

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

The timing seems to be when their undeclared nuclear program was discovered. At that point, they stopped all the work and voluntarily stopped all uranium processing as well. It was only after three years of harassment by the Bush administration and threats of sanctions, that they finally gave us the middle finger and restarted their uranium centrifuges. That was at the end of 2006 I think.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Didn't you guys read the response from the Bush administration?

Iran is pursuing nuclear knowledge covertly

I agree with Bush when he said Iran was is and will be dangerous if they continue to go down this path.

"unless you want WW3 you would think you people would want to stop Iran from obtaining nuclear knowledge"

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join