It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Says Iran Ended Atomic Arms Work

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

U.S. Says Iran Ended Atomic Arms Work

www.nytimes.com

By MARK MAZZETTI 3 minutes ago
A new assessment by American intelligence agencies concludes that Iran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003 and that the program remains on hold, contradicting a previous intelligence report.
The assessment, a National Intelligence Estimate that represents the consensus view of all 16 American spy agencies, states that Tehran’s ultimate intentions about gaining a nuclear weapon remain unclear, but that Iran’s “decisions are guided by a cost-benefit approach rather than a rush to a weapon irrespective of the political, economic and military costs.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Very interesting article. Will this serve to ease the tensions between Iran and the west?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wasn't there news stating that "Iran would never back down in atomic arms work" few days ago?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

Once again you've seen first hand the blurring of truth through media. I hope this "eases" relationships between the two, but I doubt this is more a new development rather than it is a ray of truth making it's way past the controlled media coverage.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
reply to post by TheoOne

Once again you've seen first hand the blurring of truth through media. I hope this "eases" relationships between the two, but I doubt this is more a new development rather than it is a ray of truth making it's way past the controlled media coverage.

I find it odd that everyone is so quick to jump onboard with this intelligence. I've read many threads about how the intelligence leading up to the Iraq war was faulty, about faulty intelligence regarding Iran's capabilities, etc. Yet, when the intelligence provides information that aligns with your goals, it's not even questioned.

Regarding "controlled media coverage", doesn't this very act of this information surfacing prove that there's no such thing?

[edit on 3-12-2007 by BlueTriangle]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The world wants to beleive in hope and peace.

some people though on here want Iran glassed - others though do not.

where will Israel stand on this - it IS the USA backing off.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

A new assessment by American intelligence agencies concludes that Iran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003 and that the program remains on hold, contradicting a previous intelligence report.

I thought that would have summed it up for you. A comprehensive report from 16 different intelligence agencies. I'm not the type to rally my "agenda" but fact is fact, and this says it all.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
A comprehensive report from 16 different intelligence agencies. I'm not the type to rally my "agenda" but fact is fact, and this says it all.

I hope this assessment is true and a military conflict with Iran can be avoided. However, it is a real stretch to say "fact is fact" when you are talking about the NIE. These are the same guys who got it totally wrong on Iraq so why is what they say now a "fact?"

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
I find it odd that everyone is so quick to jump onboard with this intelligence. I've read many threads about how the intelligence leading up to the Iraq war was faulty, about faulty intelligence regarding Iran's capabilities, etc. Yet, when the intelligence provides information that aligns with your goals, it's not even questioned.

Aligning with whose goals, praytell? If you've read my past posts regarding Iran, you'd know that I don't trust them.

Most people here will take this info with a grain of salt and a degree of hope.

Originally posted by itguysrule
I hope this assessment is true and a military conflict with Iran can be avoided. However, it is a real stretch to say "fact is fact" when you are talking about the NIE. These are the same guys who got it totally wrong on Iraq so why is what they say now a "fact?"

I'm confused. Are you saying that since they may have made one mistake in the past, that they can never be believed?

Nobody can live up to that record...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

I'm confused. Are you saying that since they may have made one mistake in the past, that they can never be believed?

Nobody can live up to that record...

No, I am not saying the NIE can never be believed. They may very well be totally right this time. What I am saying is that since they have been comletely wrong on at least one occasion in the past it is too early to claim this report is absolutely correct. This report is an assessment - it is not a "fact."

As I said before I hope the report is correct and we can avoid more war. I'm just not ready to believe the NIE without some other evidence to support their conclusions.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The Bu$h admin got caught lying again!

Impeach Impeach Impeach!

The only option left for the Bu$h/Cheney & the Neocons is a false flag terror attack blaming Iran!

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by QuasiShaman

Impeachment won't do anything and this is a sign that the American people need to be more diligent in our pursuit for truth. To me the ulterior motives behind this smear campaign were blatantly obvious, but I guess other attention span only lasts 5 years or so...

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I don't think the fundamentals of the situation have changed at all. I think the mounting economic crisis is driving foreign policy at the moment. We simply can't afford an oil shortage or more reasons for China to dump the dollar.

Israel's options are running out and their enemies have them surrounded. What they do or don't do will set the stage for the future of the Middle East. They preemptively struck into Syria. Will they do the same to Iran? Is this what the White House has in mind? Time will tell.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Rather different I would say in the least. A month ago they had 3000 heavy water centrifuges and a vast underground weapons factory.

The part that really doesn’t make sense is the saber rattling by Iran over all this for the last two years. They could have had even free nuclear power…

BTW Bush is part of the government. Do you think he lied for the last five years and just now all the intelligence agencies have stepped up and told the truth? He did what he did because of what information the intelligence agencies are feeding him.

He is not some superpower that has control over every part of the government, but you all think he does. The whole Democratic Party is just one area he has little or no control over and they would love to use any mistakes he might make to their advantage, but then they also get the same intelligence information and are also part of the plan, so if they all been wrong then there is no advantage.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Xtrozero]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Okay, so, without saying "No Sh** Sherlock"...

Iran says it's not seeking nuclear weapons... they were telling the truth.

US says Iran is seeking nuclear weapons and will NEVER stop... USA lied.

I'd start re-drawing your lines of trust right about now.

That simple. They're telling the truth, your government is lying.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

oh but it's just too SCARY to think of THAT!

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

About intelligence on 911, you forget it has been proven it was there, that no threat of WMDs, no connection to al Qaeda was present, but the admin chose to filter those out, leaving only those suited for their agenda, because the assault on Iraq was in the book written years before they commited it.

It's the same on Iran now, only the fight between the hawks and the doves are alittle fiercer now, and it slips out in the public sphere.

Thank god for that, and may reason prevail.

Concerning the suppressed intel on Iraq, a former SDI director puts it:
"They should have been shot"

We are a few who think they still should.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   

The installation of 3,000 fully-functioning centrifuges at Iran's enrichment plant at Natanz is a "red line" drawn by the US across which Washington had said it would not let Iran pass. When spinning at full speed they are capable of producing sufficient weapons-grade uranium (enriched to over 90% purity) for a nuclear weapon within a year.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Negotiators for Iran and the European Union held a new round of talks Friday on Iran's uranium enrichment program, but the meeting ended with indications that the Iranians had offered no new concessions to ease Western concerns that Iran intends to develop nuclear weapons.

www.iht.com...

OK, so they cross the US 'red-line' blatantly. Then they flip the EU the bird on transparency. Yeah, the 'intelligence agencies' aren't political or anything.

Reminds me of George Orwells 1984 where the guy sits and burns old newspapers and alters the new news to fit the government agenda.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

This is being covered on a few different networks...

Iran halted nuclear weapons program in 2003

I already posted this source in a different thread, but here is the reuters version of it.

US spies give shock verdict on Iran threat

US intelligence agencies undercut the White House yesterday by disclosing for the first time that Iran has not been pursuing a nuclear weapons development programme for the past four years. The secret report, which was declassified yesterday and published, marked a significant shift from previous estimates. "Tehran's decision to halt its nuclear weapons programme suggests it is less determined to develop nuclear weapons than we have been judging since 2005," it said.

And then a contradicting source says Iran still able to develop nukes

U.S. National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley, said the risk of Iran acquiring a nuclear weapon remains "a serious problem." The estimate suggests Bush "has the right strategy: intensified international pressure along with a willingness to negotiate a solution that serves Iranian interests, while ensuring the world will never have to face a nuclear armed Iran," Hadley said. He was less interested in what the 2005 assessment missed than what it got right: that Iran had a covert nuclear program.

Despite the suspension of its weapons program, it may be difficult to ultimately dissuade Tehran from developing a nuclear bomb because Iran believes such a weapon would give it international prestige and leverage to achieve its national security and foreign policy goals, the assessment concluded.
"The bottom line is this: For that strategy to succeed, the international community has to turn up the pressure on Iran with diplomatic isolation, United Nations sanctions, and with other financial pressure and Iran has to decide it wants to negotiate a solution," Hadley said.

Iran nuclear facility in Natanz

Overhead view of Natanz nuclear facility

[edit on 12/3/2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Okay, so, without saying "No Sh** Sherlock"...

Iran says it's not seeking nuclear weapons... they were telling the truth.

US says Iran is seeking nuclear weapons and will NEVER stop... USA lied.

While I am sure it is fun for you to do the "I told you so dance," don't you find this turn of events to be even a little suspicious? I am just totally puzzled by the whole thing.

What could be the reason for this sudden change?

1. Bush has suddenly changed his view of Iran - not likely.

2. Iran really isn't trying to make nuclear weapons and the US just finally figured it out - possible, but I still don't trust Iran at any level.

3. Some carrer people in the US government are revolting against Bush and trying to undercut his policies - widely believed to be true, but I think Bush still could have "spiked" the report if he wanted to.

4. Bush and the Republicans are thinking long term and are going to pass the Iranian situation on to the next, probably Democratic President so it can "blow up" in their face - not likely they are that crafty but things may work out that way on their own.

5. Bush knows that some other country or group is going to make some kind of attack and set off a regional war. Allowing this report be published will let Bush say he was taking the diplomatic path and was reluctantly pulled into a war someone else started - fairly likely in my book.

6. Bush knows that there is going to be a false flag attack so the NIE doesn't matter - I personally don't think the US government is that evil but I could be wrong.

7. Bush knows that Iran already has some number of working nuclear weapons that they acquired from the black market. This would make a pre-emptive attack on Iran a disaster. The only good option in this instance would be to try negotiations and sanctions and hope for the best. Then, if Iran were to test a nuclear weapon or even use one Bush would get a BIG green light to wipe out Iran, impose martial law and who knows what else. I see this as the most likely scenario - but that is just my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join