It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual tree formation or some unknown creature

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Okay I'm going out on a limb here. I was out in the forest one day & I just couldn't get over this formation or nest or whatever the hell it is.

Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see or something, but strangely enough there were two different ones and believe it or not one appeared to be male & the other female. The one I captured is what I call the female. Don't ask me why it just appeared feminine for some reason.

It appeared to have multiple faces & multiple eyes. It's base in inaccessible because it's on a cliff of very loose material. There is more to the story, but I think this is enough.

My first rational explanation was it was a broken tree top that just grew funny or some kind of fungal or parasitic growth.

I would like some opinions of what it appears like to you. I'll start with a couple photos taken on two different days. Again these are two photos taken on different days. I have blown up each of the photos so you can see the object in question. 2 original size & 2 blow ups. That was the best I could do with the camera I had at the time. Almost looks dragon like, but maybe I'm just seeing things.

Not really sure the height because its on the side of a cliff and my vantage is above the base of object & slightly below it's top, but I would estimate it's at least 60 feet off the ground.

othercloseup

[edit on 25-11-2007 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I can kind of make out a Rancor from Star Wars in the closeups... But it's me seeing the closest resemblance to something.

It's just some kind of growth on a tree

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Definetly biologic in nature... Upon closer examination it's... it's...

....It's a Tree.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Looks like some type of fungus growing on the tree

Doesnt appear to be anything strange at all in my opinion

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Well the trees surrounding it look unhealthy leading me to believe that not only the tree in question but those around it are afflicted with some sort of fungal (or other) infection, possibly from the soil they are growing in.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Well yeah it definately looks like a tree and has trees all around it, that's the logical & probable explanation. I have photoed quite a few strange trees & the like, but this one was one of the weirdest. It's strange how moss, fungus & lichen can sometimes take the shape of what we associate with animals or higher level lifeforms.

I posted because this one really gave me the willies. It was just a little too perfect & I would have to risk my life to get closer. My thought was what a perfect place to hide it was just sort of chameleon hiding out amongst the trees. The only reason I say that is it just appeared to grimace at me. I watched it for awhile & even came back for another photo. This is about 7 miles in from pavement in the National Forest.

If a parasitic growth I wonder what effect they will have on the forest overall.

Anyway maybe I should have posted it somewhere else. Next time I'll figure out how to get the photo to post directly.

[edit on 25-11-2007 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Looks kinda like a squirrels nest to me,not saying thats what it is.I'm saying it resembles one.Just a thought.

[edit on 25-11-2007 by crowpruitt]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Yeah, I think at the very least if a growth that would be a good nesting spot for something, but I don't think squirrels hang out that high up - maybe I'm wrong. I suppose it's possible that something put the parasite there to help build it's nest.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
What about the possibility that some madman climber, built his camo hidout up there. Kind of like the tree huggers hang out in the canapy to save trees in CA and such. Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
It looks like a fungus or a bole. I'll show it to my hubby and see what he thinks. He's a biologist and might be able to give a better idea of what it could be.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Too bad its too far away, otherwise we could all go and throw rocks at it and see if someone pops their head out

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
i can see where you think it might be something but i think its just a tree.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Too bad its too far away, otherwise we could all go and throw rocks at it and see if someone pops their head out

Hehe. It does looks intresting. Nature does odd things to old trees. Go back out there, and get right up to the tree. Get some pics while you are there.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Yeah, and find out it's a homeland security outpost or some hunters blind & they pop back with a bang of their own.

Originally posted by Cyprex
Hehe. It does looks intresting. Nature does odd things to old trees. Go back out there, and get right up to the tree. Get some pics while you are there.

Well, I did go back in the area in the early spring of 2007 (the pics are from 06) & I could not locate the object in question, either I didn't look in the right place, or it has changed due to last winters storms, some kind of intervention or possibly it is just blocked by other trees. If indeed it is a tree & has completely fallen it would be nice to get a closeup of what's left. Of course if it's some kind of nest it's occupant may have migrated or moved somewhere else.

No doubt snow has begun to fall in the area, so I might have to wait until next spring unless I acquire a snowmobile this winter - just too far too walk in the snow. However I will return to the area again, because it is near one of my favorite hikes & I will update this thread when that happens.

I could get closer to the base if I bring a climbing rope or maybe just get a better camera. I went down the slope about 35 feet and turned back because it was too unstable (lots of loose rocks fist to basketball size & movement underfoot) or maybe I was just too lazy or spooked at the time to take the risks. That camera I used was an old 2 mega pixel camera with only 3x zoom, so I'll get a six MP or better before my next visit.

Thanks everyone for your ideas & opinions on this matter.

I've added the second similar object to the album, so now there are three pictures & three zoomed available. In the opening post I referred to the first object as female because it had a sort of headdress, in contrast I referred to this one as male cause it looks simpler or more rectangular. I'm referring to the tree on the right of the closeup. The adjacent treetop (lower branch?) or other object on the left almost appears the same as the first object (I'm a little confused it's been awhile since the pic) but a side view or different light. The picture was taken from the same ridge so it couldn't be a side view of the original unless the tree moved.

companion object (one or two similar treetops) adjacent or within a couple trees of original object
companion object 2 zoomed

I would like to hear from a tree expert or tree farmer even. My best logical guess is that a cold snap in the area killed several tree tops adjacent or close together and some kind of parasite passed by wind or animals started growing on the them about the same time. Either that or some inter-dimensional shape shifting alien parasite is taking over our forest.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
the white out-hangs from the base of the more wooded part look like its just torn fresh wood(freshish) and the lump is just a lump although the way its hanging also suggests fungus

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Just chalk it up to global warming and move on.

Everyone else blames global warming for everything, so why not this too!!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Global warming indeed.

Though looking at trees like this is sometimes just like looking at clouds and seeing all kinds of weird things from popcorn, to chariots, demons & ufo's. The only difference is we know there are thousands of things that live in trees.

This is a blowup of one of the original sections & I can make out two eyes & dog ears, a chiseled face with mouth open and an arm with fingers with a hand hold over the branch. It looks an octopus would against rocks or coral in the ocean or a chameleon in a tree adjusting it's appearance to match. If you download the full size picture & trace - you will see. Here's the blow up to get you started.

No doubt our minds can play tricks with the clouds & trees, but again this one is uncanny. Maybe just an owl - I dunno.

Like the chameleon if you catch it with its eyes open, you know it's not just an illusion.

Blind owner?

BTW - Are those what people mean by reptilian eyes?

rough trace

Full size original

Intermediate Picutre with two objects in view
In the full size follow the trunk on the left and look above the broken branch.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Always expect the unexpected is what I say so, if you believe that it is just a tree or just a nest then take a closer look and see if still believe it is a tree or a nest. To me it looks like some sort of creature. But hey thats just my opinion on the matter.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Sorry for the delay in response. Hubby says it's a burl. Trees get damaged because of insect infestation, injury, disease, and the tree reacts by growing strangely in that particular area.

The wood inside the burls is beautiful, and makes for nice woodworking.

Burl on a tree.

Burl covered oak tree.

Red Oak burl bowl

[edit on 1-12-2007 by MaatiHemet]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
with a close exsamination i would half to agree with you all on this,

to be precise its rotting leaves, branches and fungess

top topics

<<   2 >>

join