It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Light In Our Sky?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
ALrighty Then...I finally got to see it last night about 7:30 and again at 9:00 and all I have to say is WOW! I frst tried to see it with the naked eye and was not having any luck and then went to my binoculars and there it was. I was totally at a loss for words...I never expected it to be so big. Once I located it with the binocs. I could easily see it with the naked eye but sorta washed out due to the city glow in the distance. I can only imagine what it must look like in really remote locations like West Virginia.
And to Hal9000...I 'm glad that you got to see it as well and have since gone back and read all the post associated with sightings. Thanks for bringing me back to reality.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

A fiery dragon will cross the sky
Six times before this earth shall die
Mankind will tremble and frightened be
for the sixth heralds in this prophecy.

A prophecy from mother shipton. Don't know if shes ever been proven to be a real person or not but I find the prophecies interesting non the less.

Here is a link www.crystalinks.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I thought I would post what James McCanney said about Comet Holmes or is it Comet Holmes at all?

www.jmccanneyscience.com... I don't know enough to discuss this in an intelligant way so here is what he has said.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Oooh, so it's a comet what I'm seeing every single night? There's always this really bright star in the sky that shows up even when no other star does. In fact it's pretty visible even when the sun's rising. I took a photo of it one morning but it didn't turn on right. I'll take another one today and post it here, because I was wanting to ask what it was. I thought that it was a planet at first, but I believe Venus looks like blinking colors, and Mars it's not that near this time, right? Anyway, a comet makes more sense.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
That doesn't sound like comet Holmes. Pretty sure you're looking at Venus. It's a morning star in November.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Yes Mars is up there starting around 11. You can't miss how red it is.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Can one of you guys assume you're talking to a astronomical nincompoop and help me figure out where to find this thing? I'm in Western NC, viewing usually around 1:30 am.

Or make it really easy and circle it for me on the map

I think I was looking at mars thinking that was it.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
This might help you out Twitch.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Its still growing, like it has been since October 24, 10 days ago.

The moon is inserted to show the size in comparison to the moon.

[edit on 3-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Its still growing, like it has been since October 24, 10 days ago.

The moon is inserted to show the size in comparison to the moon.

[edit on 3-11-2007 by Copernicus]

the thing i find so puzzling,why is the cloud surrounding the comet so spherical?

shouldnt it be more of an oblong shape given it is travelling so fast in one direction?.

i wonder what the natural size/volume and shape of holmes was?,

VS

the amount of expelled comet material needed to create and sustain the cloud?

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wierdalienshiznit

Yeah apparently Earth observers are looking at it straight down along the 'tail', if there's any.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Is there a picture of any other comet or star retaining it's shape after such an explosion? It would seem that it would have to be in exactly the center of the mass, and be an internal explosion, as opposed to something hitting it to cause such a nearly perfect sphere of debris.

It would seem more likely that this was something on the order of a magnetic field that was holding visible gases in place. Though I cannot imagine something that small having much of a natural magnetic field.

Very strange.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
look at this temperature reading.

cometography.com...

its hottest at the core,suggesting maybe whatever is causing the cloud is indeed happening at the core.

if it were caused by the sun,wouldnt the comet have erupted much earlier in its current passing through our solar system.(it was closest to sun in may)
so perhaps that means we can rule out sun being the instigator of the event?.

people are saying the comet is out of range of human interaction.....

...couldnt an energy beam affect it?,electomagnetism travels at the speed of light

comet holmes is 386 959 904 million miles from earth

the speed of electromagnetism is 670 616 629 miles an hour

just over half an hour away.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
look!!

it has a dual core!?

farm3.static.flickr.com...

are these perhaps the entry and exit points of the said "energy beam"?.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buehlar
Listen up peoples

1. Is the comet moving away from us?
Yes

2. Then why does it look as if it is increasing in size?
Because Earth's own orbit is in relation to Holmes' orbit and WE are moving closer to it. Not the other way around.
Earth is caching actually up with it, so to speak. This creates the "illusion" that its headding towards us. It will continue to get bigger and brighter until Nov. 6th when we are closest to it @ a distance of 1.62 AU.
After then Earths orbit will start to carry us further away from it.
Check out the orbit here Holmes orbit, play with the controls one day at a time while observing its distance from Earth. When it gets to 1.62 AU on the 6th keep clicking a day at a time and you'll see the distance start to get greater and greater. Obviously, the closer you are to an object, the bigger it appears right? Check it out for yourselves, and do the math.
Its is an interesting topic.
Keep an eye on it. You'll see it start to get smaller after Nov. 6th.

the speed of the earth is not great enough to account for the"brightening" of the comet.

do you see planets increasing in size by such an order in such a short period of time.

nope.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
"comet holmes is 386 959 904 million miles from earth

the speed of electromagnetism is 670 616 629 miles an hour"

is 386959904000000 divided by 670616629 equal to 30 minutes?

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sinthia

Not to even mention the speed the comet is traveling.

But the whole dual core thing, the top left appears to be a star shining through the cloud IMO.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by PontiacWarrior

I'm not familiar with Mother shipton but I recently started a thread on a Nostradamus Quatrain which I believe may be referring to this comet. The Quatrain is number 74, Century X

The year of the great seventh number accomplished,
It will appear at the time of the games of slaughter,
not far from the age of the great millennium
when the dead will come out from their graves.
Au revolu du grand nombre septiesme
Apparoistra au temps Jeux d'Hecatombe,
Non esloigné du grand eage milliesme
Que les entres sortiront de leur tombe.

The "it" that will appear I believe may be this comet. And Its appearence falls pretty closely within the time frame I arrived at. For more discussion on this quatrain and its possible meaning, please see this thread

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Hey, you can't just borrow our comet without asking!

It seems like your quatrain is referring to next year anyway, "the year of the great seventh number accomplished" would be sometime after it ends. The "games of slaughter" could be the Olympic Games, so look for something to happen in China in 2008. Also, this comet's been visible since October 24th, not November 2nd as you state in your thread.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo18

Originally posted by sinthia

Not to even mention the speed the comet is traveling.

But the whole dual core thing, the top left appears to be a star shining through the cloud IMO.

0.57= roughly half an hour.

the speed of the comet is utterly insignificant compared to the speed of light,it would add fractions of a second only.

scientists have noted the dual core and called it a "tail".

remember comets do rotate,they arnt stationary,so the dual cores would not be facing earth at all times.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join