It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Light In Our Sky?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Yep it looks just like a triangle in the middle of the sky at say 9-10 EST.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Hmm, the thing is still growing on a massive scale.

Comet 17P/Holmes has been relentlessly expanding since its explosion on Oct 23rd and now it spans an angle in the sky almost half as wide as the full Moon. Using a picture of the comet he took on Oct. 30th, Helmut Groell of Moers, Germany, created this animation for comparison:

Actually, the comet is even bigger than it looks. While the Moon is a mere 240 thousand miles away, Comet Holmes is 150 million miles from Earth. The comet's physical diameter is thus seven times wider than the planet Jupiter--and it is still expanding.

Source: SpaceWeather.com

This is one strange "comet", if it really is a comet... it certainly doesnt behave like a comet. Seven times the diameter of frigging JUPITER? And they still say its a comet? A lot of people say it looks more like a planet.

Interesting times. Its on a path away from us according to official sources, so lets hope they are not lying...what if this thing is approaching us and is therefore looking bigger and bigger to us? Is it possible?

What if they lie about it being the comet we discovered in 1892? What if its something else? Like Nibiru coming back. It would make sense if 2007 is 2012, wouldnt it? Two months until it hits...

Yes, I admit these are highly speculative theories.

[edit on 1-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Please, feel free to browse any of these sites regarding

"The Ball of Redemption"

Its a possibility.

Just a simple Google search will bring up tons of stories!!!

[edit on 1-11-2007 by dgtempe]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Just looked up the Ball of Redemption thing. And now i'm pretty freaked out

I know, i know, end of the world scenarios, but can anyone explain WHY comet holmes is acting this way?

They say it's seven times the diameter of Jupiter. Thats huge. How big is the largest comet scientists know of?

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Didn't this thing originate in the Pegasus constellation? I was reading a bit about Revelations and it's allusions to astronomy right before I heard about this new comet, gave me the willies. Anybody here know what constellations this thing will be interracting with as it passes through?

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by geek101
Just looked up the Ball of Redemption thing. And now i'm pretty freaked out

I know, i know, end of the world scenarios, but can anyone explain WHY comet holmes is acting this way?

They say it's seven times the diameter of Jupiter. Thats huge. How big is the largest comet scientists know of?

Nothing to be afraid of. This comet's orbit has been known over 100 years now, and its diameter is 3.42 km. It's closer than jupiter too, it's just the tail we are seeing, whch stretches away from us at present, making it look bigger. Unless there has been a conspiracy for over 110 years about this, which I highly doubt, as thee are numerous independant astronomers, everything is a-okay

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeros

thanks :-).....actually, i have just been reading more about it. And now i understand. I thought the actual comet was that big, but now (as i understand it), it's just the coma ( ? ) (which i take to mean the light stuff surrounding it)

Can you tell i know heaps about astronomy

am i correct on this?

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by geek101

Lol. Yeah, as far as i'm aware, that's what we are seeing. The "corona" (I think you mean that) seems a good word to describe it.

co·ro·na (k-rn)
n. pl. co·ro·nas or co·ro·nae (-n)
1. Astronomy
a. A faintly colored luminous ring appearing to surround a celestial body visible through a haze or thin cloud

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeros

Actually, I think the correct term is Coma and not Corona.

But I'll have one just the same.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
Nothing to be afraid of. This comet's orbit has been known over 100 years now, and its diameter is 3.42 km. It's closer than jupiter too, it's just the tail we are seeing, whch stretches away from us at present, making it look bigger. Unless there has been a conspiracy for over 110 years about this, which I highly doubt, as thee are numerous independant astronomers, everything is a-okay

That is if you trust NASA who says this is the same comet we saw in 1892. You say this comets diameter is 3.42 km - how does that fit in with, I quote, "the comet's physical diameter is thus seven times wider than the planet Jupiter"?

Seems to me that you just trust NASA saying its the same old comet that pass by every 7 years, despite this thing acting like no other comet in history. Even the comet who lighted up in 1892 was not this bright and I dont think it was growing bigger either.

Is there any way a independent astronomer can verify its orbit and/or size please? NASA cannot be trusted! Thats no conspiracy theory, its a fact based on experience.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
reply to post by Xeros

Actually, I think the correct term is Coma and not Corona.

But I'll have one just the same.

Cheers, I stand corrected

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Well i don't know what to say to that, I've tried to explain as best as I could. I'm no astronomer though, I guess that you have to go with what you think is happening, in relation to a conspiracy. I agree, an independant asronomer would really help at this point.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeros

Yeah, I would really appreciate if someone could find some independent source of information on this comet...

All I have found is NASA. The information about this being Holmes is from NASA, the orbit calculations is from NASA.

What if its a lie? I dont think they would tell mankind if there was a Planet X coming, until it was absolutely necessary. They would only create panic.

But I would like to know before the public.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   

It's the same comet because it's in the same place it's supposed to be. For NASA to fake that, they would have to alter every record of it's orbit for the last 115 years. That's every public record in every published work, in every home and library throughout the world. Not very likely is it?

When they say it's seven times as large as Jupiter, they're talking about the outgassing coma that we're seeing as a big halo around the actual comet which is still only 3 or 4 km diameter. The reason why we're seeing it as a huge halo is explained on every page of this thread.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

I dont know... I just think something smells fishy. But I do have a suspicious mind and I can be wrong. We'll have to wait and see what this thing will do next.

Another article about the comet here, where is says:

So the diameter of the gas around the comet is about 1/5th the distance to the Moon!

Pretty good for a comet that was estimated to have a diameter of only 2.11 miles to start with!

Guess we'll wait and see... here is the updated wikipedia entry as well.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
dont go to the light Johnny boy stay away from the light!!

i tried looking for this thing last night but i couldnt find it can someone come over and point it out for me, seriously i used to have a good handle on where everything was on the sky but now i cant even find the moon lol

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I've got to admit it's strange how large it's gotten and I haven't seen any explanation for why it's outgassing, if it's traveling away from the sun and not towards it.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The only thing fishy going on is your paranoia, my friend. Not everything is a grand conspiracy orchestrated by the evil United States. Orbital mechanics is pretty straight forward mathematics, it is right where it is supposed to be. Oh ,by the way its orbit was established 50 years before NASA even existed, come on.
There is plenty of information out there that doesnt come from nasa or any goverment source, just look for it. Most of the research work done in any scientific field is NOT done by government researchers, but by researchers at private and public universities.
This comet has suddenly brightened several time in the past, AND ITS NOT BIGGER THAN JUPITER. It si a cloud around the commet that gives it the appearance of a larger size.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

I disagree its paranoia. To me, this site is about looking behind the official picture. And I dont trust NASA for good reasons.

What I really wanted was more information about this thing. I am starting to get convinced its the right comet from the information in this thread, so thanks to everybody who has posted good arguments.

I still think the comet acts very strange, and I will keep an eye on it. But it does look like its the comet they say it is.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Listen up peoples

1. Is the comet moving away from us?
Yes

2. Then why does it look as if it is increasing in size?
Because Earth's own orbit is in relation to Holmes' orbit and WE are moving closer to it. Not the other way around.
Earth is caching actually up with it, so to speak. This creates the "illusion" that its headding towards us. It will continue to get bigger and brighter until Nov. 6th when we are closest to it @ a distance of 1.62 AU.
After then Earths orbit will start to carry us further away from it.
Check out the orbit here Holmes orbit, play with the controls one day at a time while observing its distance from Earth. When it gets to 1.62 AU on the 6th keep clicking a day at a time and you'll see the distance start to get greater and greater. Obviously, the closer you are to an object, the bigger it appears right? Check it out for yourselves, and do the math.
Its is an interesting topic.
Keep an eye on it. You'll see it start to get smaller after Nov. 6th.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join