It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Light In Our Sky?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
For some reason the first thought that came to mind was all the stories I have read over the years about a light appearing in the sky and then something big happening. Just what will happen, I have no idea.
But I do think this will somehow play a big roll in the next 3 - 6 months. Just my personal opinion though.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebox
I'm not sure I understand what is going on here...

This comet has been around for over 100 years? Where is it headed?

It's probably been around for millions (if not billions) of years. Its orbital period is slightly less than 7 years, so over the past 115 years since it was discovered, it has left and come back about 17 times.

Right now it is somewhere past Mars, and is heading AWAY from the Sun, and has been since May (it's closest approach to the Sun was in May.)

It is only visible now because of the recent brightening. It is usually not visible to the naked eye, and thus not worthy of news. The last time it flared up in a similar fashion to right now was 115 years ago. That similar brightening of the comet led to its discovery.

On all of the other occasions that it came inwards towards the Sun, including the last time 7 years ago, it was so dim that it was "just another comet", therefore nobody cared about it.

Who knows? Maybe the comet flared up like this a few hundred years prior to 1892, but astromony wasn't the thorough science it was in 1892, so it may have gone unrecorded (or those records have been lost through the years.)

[edit on 10/30/2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

It was also noted in 1662, 1777, 1892 and now in 2007...every 115 years. Why this occurs is still a mystery.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Do you have a source for those dates? As far as I know it was first recorded in 1892.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Wired

Wired --

What's your source on this? As far as I know, it wasn't discovered until 1892 -- and back then it underwent 2 eruptions in 10 weeks time -- so the every 115 years doesn't really work.

EDIT:
Sorry bigprobe...I must have been typing my post while you were posting yours.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wired

Is there any proof that this is the same comet as the 1662 and 1777 comet? I can't tell by these written accounts of a comet that this is necessarily the same one. There are a lot of comets out there.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Apparently the timing is everything...the 115 year timeline falls in place with this Comet and for those writing about this in 1662,1777 thought that is was remarkable enough to give it mention over the other so-called comets of that period...just a guess!

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wired

It is true that this is a strange coincidence that should be studied. Maybe someone could track down the excact dates and locations of the comet in those historical texts (if the dates and location are even known!) and compare those sightings to the path of this comet.

I suppose it is possible that they are the same, but without proof we can't say. Good POTENTIAL find.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wired

Yes, its possible its the same comet, but you sound quite arrogant and seems to "know" it it...

It may be. But just look at how many comets we are tracking this year alone...

[edit on 30-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Yes, its just like everything today...Proof is Required but here is a little fact that is here and NOW! Oct 28 Vs. Oct. 30 size comparison...again Wow!

patrick.bornet1.free.fr...

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wired

I'm sorry if I "sound" arrogant as if I know...I don't! I'm just passing on research that I have compiled in the last couple of days...and you? What does arrogance sound like anyway?
Something I learned from an old Sage..."Say it as if its the TRUTH and the words will stir the ears with wonder"

tbn0.google.com...:4g3J4-7nmGRebM:www.morseburggalleries.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wired

I think its mostly the term "Wow" that makes you sound arrogant. Of course I could be misinterpreting it...

But good info, thanks for the links.

[edit on 30-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well you might actually be onto something...

Have you gone back any further?

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It seems, the Bible is true. What has come to pass, and what will pass, has been spoken of.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

I haven't been able to locate anything further back. 1547 would be the next date. This site talks about stars being viewable at noonin 1547. If this thing gets that bright it will be a sight o see....and for a little conspiracy woo woo...1547 is the last 4 numbers in NASA's Comet Study phone number 202/358-1547

books.google.com... jPLGKOQ

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BONGMANWEED

It's not coming towards Earth. In fact, if you'd read the previous posts then you'd realize it's heading in the other direction - away from Earth & towards Jupiter's orbital.

Here's a funny quote from Nasa's picture of the day gallery:

Although Comet Holmes' orbit will place it in northern hemisphere skies for the next two years, whether it will best be viewed through a telescope or sunglasses remains unknown.

There's really no telling at this point how bright it'll get. If it's an outgassing event it should diffuse for some time. The brightness after a certain point will start to decrease until it's back to its original magnitude of 17, not, 3.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I too think it may be something heading towards Earth. It may be no coincidence that NASA seemed to rush the last shuttle mission launch. Perhaps they know that something is heading towards us and sent the shuttle up there to investigate.

Perhaps it is some other comet/body that is heading towards earth that just happens to be in the same area as Holmes and is obscuring comet Holmes because of its brightness and position. Maybe it will pass close by us or impact. Or pass between us and Sol and cause a massive CME that roasts us like a rotisserie. Or maybe it's nothing at all and exactly what the "former-perts" say it is.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

-Euclid

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Vikturtle

it must be nice to get see all these wonderfull sights in the heavens----where i live its like everytime something fantastic up there is about to happen we end up getting cloud cover for a week------story of my life so far.i bet(if i was allowed to bet)if i moved the clouds would follow me.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

my wife agrees with you 1892 that is what she says she just saw on the computer but doesnt remember where.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join