It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Light In Our Sky?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Firstly, its not possible to "ignite" Saturn with a space probe, or a nuke, or several hundred nukes - of any kind. I refer the honourable readers to comet Shomaker-Levy 9, and the overall effect and force of explosions that occurred when it hit Jupiter.

Secondly, unless the shuttle was armed with some missile that was capable of "impulse" drive or some other such sub-light speed, theres no way anything that it could take into space could make a difference to a comet so far out in such a short space of time - if we had that kind of engine we wouldn't be sending 7 people up vertically strapped to the equivalent of a small hydrogen bomb, would we?

Whats more probable is that this comet has a unique composition, possibly it has a hollow core and on its outward leg it accumulates an awful lot of ice and dust which forms a shell over the core and prevents outgassing until the outer shell is stripped away by incresing temperature and the solar wind as it approaches the the sun and then the object starts to outgas massively, hence the sudden "flare" - a bit like a meteor hitting the earths atmosphere.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Good thinking neforemore.

Makes sense to me.

As for the "turning Saturn/Jupiter" into a second sun, there is another problem to overcome. The Sun itself is in a state of balance. The explosive force of the fusion reaction is in equilibrium with the gravitational pull off it's mass.

Now, bearing this in mind, we shall move on to Jupiter or Saturn.

In order to ignite Fusion in one of those planets, you would need so much energy that it's release (and the subsequent outburst of energy from the fusion reaction itself) would literally blow the planets apart, extinguishing any attempt to turn them into a second Sun.

You would need alot of energy as the natural pressure in the core of the planets mass is woefully insufficient to trigger a fusion reaction, requiring alot of energy to kick start it.

This is also why on earth we require temperatures a million times hotter than the centre of the sun to create fusion because we lack the mass to compensate.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Copernicus, how the hell can you actually believe that scientists can actually turn the Jupiter or Saturn into another sun. This is probably the craziest thing I have ever seen you post here. Theres nothing in the known universe that will even make that possible. Saturn is so light, that if it was small enough it would float in water which makes it more likely for earth to be turned into a sun as its heavier. And how can a comet be bigger than Jupiter? Correct me if I am wrong, but dont celestial bodies that large have their own gravity field. meaning that every time the comet passes it will pull something with it? Crazy, crazy, crazy talk

PS. Sorry to go off topic and interesting article

[edit on 29/10/2007 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Found this photo of the comet

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Victoria Hardy
October 29, 2007

I’ve never studied astronomy and couldn’t tell you the name of most constellations, but I am both soothed and intrigued while viewing the stars and planets.

'nuff said?

It's one of the least informed articles I have ever read.

Also Saturn is more massive than earth, but Earth is the densest planet, and Saturn the least dense.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I've heard that Comet McNaught and Comet Arend can now be seen in the same area of Comet Holmes. I don't know if that is unusual and I understand that only Holmes can be seen by the naked eye, but it's pretty cool in my mind.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I went outside to see it and took some pictures with my camera. I'll post them up in a bit when I'm done stacking them.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Oops, no offense there Vikturtle, I did not realize you were the author of that article.

It's not badly written at all! It's just not informed, and for people to read that and think oh no, the comet is going to hit the earth, and then we have people saying that Saturn is going to turn into a sun.. and so on and so forth.
It's not cool.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Whats more probable is that this comet has a unique composition, possibly it has a hollow core and on its outward leg it accumulates an awful lot of ice and dust which forms a shell over the core and prevents outgassing until the outer shell is stripped away by incresing temperature and the solar wind as it approaches the the sun and then the object starts to outgas massively, hence the sudden "flare" - a bit like a meteor hitting the earths atmosphere.
One problem with that is that is should then have a tail bigger than a kite's.

The fact that it doesn't have a tail suggests very high integrity & cohesion by whatever makes it up. So I posit its composition is very crystalline, could be metal, and the explosion is partly due to how it is angled & its surface unusually high reflectivity lighting up what little ice the solar wind could churn up that could cling to to it during its outward leg.

So, its all probably just smoke & mirrors, my friend.

That isn't to say that a natural phenomena isn't being used by a higher power as a sign for us.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Do you mean **gasp** it could be natural???
That just makes too much sense to be true.

How the hell did they ever allow you on this site?

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Here's a nice multiband image with some curves applied farther down showing it's one core. I just took a picture and it shows the 2nd star drifting out of the dust from the coment.

astrosurf.com...

and my pic:
www.iceinspace.com.au...

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

I think the lack of a visible tail is due to the fact that it is too far from the sun to have a tail. This comet's closest approach to the Sun was 6 months ago. It's been moving away from the Sun since May. As you probably know, comet's tails are formed from the pressure of the solar wind causing comet material to be cast off the comet. Comets are just tailess balls of dirty ice and gas until they get near the Sun -- only then do they develop their visible tails.

Some scientists have said that there is a tail, but it is only visible in infrared.

(this may be a little off topic, and obvious to you and most people, but...) A weird thing about comets is that the tail is always pointing in the direction away from the sun, no matter what direction the comet is heading. So if a comet is heading directly away from the Sun, the comet's tail will be pointing forward, toward the direction the comet is traveling.

[edit on 10/29/2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
What a great post! Tom, what equipment did you use to take that photo? I have been wanting to get in to space photography for a while now but it's pretty deep stuff. I have an Orion catalog that I have been tempted to order from are they any good?

Also where can I look in the sky with my naked eye to see this? Thanks!

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDead

No offense taken, I figure enough are writing from the scientific view, I like to share the different ideas and thoughts of the people discussing the subject.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TomProctor

Nice job with the pics. I just went out to see this thing with my little telescope, and it looks amazing. And, is it just me, or when looking thru the telescope at the comet with the other stars in the background, does it kinda remind anyone else of the way the slides looked in those View-Master toys you had as a kid? Like it's not just flat, looks layered.

And thanks to the OP for posting this, otherwise I would have never even known about this comet. I wish they would have at least mentioned this in the news or something. I mean a comet unexpectedly getting a million times brighter overnight is pretty cool stuff. They make note of eclipses and such, why not something like this?

edit: clearify myself

[edit on 2007/10/29 by evilod]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Recluse420

Check out this map, it helped me find it pretty quickly...
www.skyandtelescope.com...

Thing is though, with the naked eye, to me it looked just like any other star. It wasn't until I looked throught the scope that it REALLY looks different. Anyway, it is starting to get high in the NE sky about now. It will be the lower left point that forms a farily prominent triangle. The link above should help.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Recluse420
What a great post! Tom, what equipment did you use to take that photo? I have been wanting to get in to space photography for a while now but it's pretty deep stuff. I have an Orion catalog that I have been tempted to order from are they any good?

Also where can I look in the sky with my naked eye to see this? Thanks!

It's northeast right now, probably around half between zenith (very top of sky) and horizon. Maybe more now, I don't know. It appears to be a triangle (careful not to look at the bigger triangle looking constellation more north and more towards the top of the sky). It's fairly bright, and it's the bottom left star of the triangle. It doesn't appear to be a normal star, but fuzzy. It's orangeish also.

The equipment I used was just a Nikon D50 @ ISO1600, a Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 AF-S ED-IF VR, @200mm. Stacked 50 frames and 11 darks for a total of 1m 46s exposure.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
i guess u can't see it from australia?

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ..AuStRaLiA..
i guess u can't see it from australia?

Yep you can. I know a lot of Australian amateur astronomers who have gotten images of it.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I just went out with some binoculars and couldn't see it, damn Denver and it's star blocking lights.
I really wanted to see it for my self. Someone please come EMP our power grid, I don't have enough gas to drive out east right now. lol

Well we also have smoke from the California fires blowing in as well thats blocking out a lot of the sky.

Great photos by the way! I can only imagine what it would look like if it got as bright as the moon.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by Slash]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join