It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you really want to live for a Eternity

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oopsies
And the whole worshiping God forever and ever, why would anyone want to do that?

And why would GOD want you to do it?
It's bad enough singing praises for all eternity. Imagine having to listen to it.

I'm sure God would like to move onto a different topic of conversation eventually.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

And the Lord God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." (Genesis 3:22)

So, what makes you think they have changed their mind?

You're willing to accept this part of the Bible as truth but not the rest of it? The rest of it is the story on how that garden mistake can be redeemed.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
So certain are you of this hmmm?

Yes I am.

I believe that when I pop my clogs I'll go in the ground and stay there, no afterlife. A tough thing to grasp, but if I live like this is my only go, then I think life will be so much richer.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
I believe that when I pop my clogs I'll go in the ground and stay there, no afterlife. A tough thing to grasp, but if I live like this is my only go, then I think life will be so much richer.

It was easier for me to grasp no life after death. For me, "what you see is what you get" required a lot less consideration than reaching beyond the visual. I used to be an agnostic oblivionist, whereas it was my belief there was no afterlife and is meaningless therefore any and all things I do here are also meaningless when considering infinity. Seventy years versus a billions of years is a stitch in time. It wasn't until learning that there was an afterlife that this one became important because this one plays a very important role in the next one. Just offering another perspective. I'm grateful that you're living in the now (as am I), but one does not have to believe death is final in order to do so.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
We are immortal. Whining about it is one pastime we can engage in but it will only pass the time. The astral is a very boring place. We rest there and when we're rested we pop back into a body. Over and over again until some magic aha experience elevates us above it all into a new higher dimension. Then the same routine kicks in. One dimension (step) after another ad infinitum. Now, that's boring ...

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Agriculture (-culture) came from the mountains of Kurdistan. Healthy and learned men wearing long cloaks of large black feathers (with a sheen of "oil on water" reminding me of Joseph's coat of many colors) came down to trade, teach and heal the scruffy remnants of the flood. I personally believe that these Birdmen of Kurdistan were the descendants of the occupants of Noah's Ark and the cloaks were taken from large scavenger birds because they were warm, waterproof and excellent camouflage at night and the buzzards were easy to lure and kill. As the land dried out the Birdman people dispersed across the land. As an example of how most dim memories evoke very different "modern" accounts of past events, now there is only a "cult" of the "Peacock Angel" in Kurdistan (disparagingly called a "buzzard" cult and satanist by the "civilized" monotheist christians and muslims) in which the people worship vultures (or buzzards) having a hazy memory of a hazy memory of the impressive birdmen. The current Peacock Angel "cult" (all religions are "cults) may be simple and simple minded but that's religion for you.
Except Judaism which is an "Ark" on Earth specifically to "carry" the Torah, which is an "Ark" created especially by Spirit to "carry" the Bible Code through time.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
your nose and ears grow throughout your life i reckon by the time im 200 i would look like an elephant, how old was john merrick by the way. If we are made up of the elements that were created in the birth of the universe then we are already billions of years old i wonder what my elements will do in the next billion years

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Yes I agree that two main themes have developed here (with sub-themes in them). However, as I'm arriving on this thread a bit late I prefer to consider the original question, which was: "Would you really want to live for a [sic] Eternity [sic]. Living Forever and ever and ever with no end. Would you want to do this? Even if you were omnipotent? "

Well, first of all, this is not a question of belief in the afterlife, or in any particular religion. Some have turned the thread that way but that is not precisely what the question is about.

The next thing I'd point out is the fundamental meaning of "eternity" is "out of time" -- or put more simply, "separate from time". Yes, I know that the common understanding these days is that "eternity" means "endless time" but that is not what it originally meant: it creates a concept far beyond that -- one that is practically impossible for us to grasp but which is darned interesting...

Sooo...any sentient being within "eternity" would simply not be living under our very simple and basically linear perceptions of time. Yes, there would be "existence", but concepts like "years", "days", "seconds" and similar would no longer be relevant. Under such conditions it would be possible to view or consider events from virtually any perspective we can imagine (and I guess even from some we cannot). If we could exist apart from this time frame we perceive and any others as well, we would be on the outside and (hopefully) looking in, and as time wouldn't be a factor for us, then we could view, study or whatever as many or as few "events" for "as long as we wish". (That last phrase shows one of the paradoxes of trying to express "eternity". Sigh...)

"Boredom" implies a personal awareness of the passing of time within which very little or nothing of interest happens. There being no time in eternity (as by definition there cannot be), there cannot be any boredom. Those who have spoken, both seriously and tongue-in-cheek, of either the delights or deadly dullness of staring at wondrous lights, praising a heavenly being (or more than one), playing harps etc are placing this into a religious context which is not only irrelevant to the question but fundamentally cannot be applied.

Just an aside: back in the days when I still went to church, we sometimes sang the hymn "Amazing Grace"...The pastor/minister used to say "I know that where it says 'When we've been there ten thousand years/Bright shining as the sun' it's heretical, because there are no years in eternity, but it's a lovely hymn all the same..."

That's about as far as I'll go in religious references, and it's purely to illustrate a point and not push a belief. Hope that's okay...

I don't see any suggestion in the original question of a requirement that we retain the physical bodies we are stuck with at the moment -- only that we "live". Exactly how we define "to live" is a really good topic on its own, so I'll just settle for it meaning that we'd have some form of sentience... But in any case, "we" are not simply our bodies but our minds... I don't need to point out that our minds and brains are rather separate things. (I expect some might argue this but that's cool. We're all adults here. I hope.)

Anyway, so given the fact that this is not a question that requires adherence to any religious belief but is rather seeking reactions to a concept, my answer is unequivocally "yes". Why not?

Edited to fix some rather gross grammatical errors. Apologies for any others I've missed. Still on first coffee this Sunday morning. Mike

[edit on 7-10-2007 by JustMike]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by R-evolve
your nose and ears grow throughout your life i reckon by the time im 200 i would look like an elephant, how old was john merrick by the way. If we are made up of the elements that were created in the birth of the universe then we are already billions of years old i wonder what my elements will do in the next billion years

Your soul is not bound to the confines of your body. Your body is nothing but a vessel which your soul resides in. What you need to understand and practice is truth and love.

I want you to think about this:
God is Love
God is Truth
God is the Light

God is omnipresent but in order for you to know God and be able to walk and talk with him you must become like him. You must practice Love and Truth because that is what God is. God can not manifest himself in any other form but Love and Truth. If you do not believe in him and love him with every last bit of your heart then you fall short of sincerity which is honesty and truth. This is the reason you have been separated from him for so long. You will fall short of knowing God because you cannot receive The Light , The Truth, and The Word if you have not, Repented yourself in truth, and lived by the Law. God is omnipresent to the true believer who walk in truth and follows the Laws of Moses which were passed down by The Word.

And I asked God to forgive me for my sins of this world and for the sins of my brothers and sisters and I did cry. I sought death over living a life of sin and repented for my actions, before they were made, and The Lord delivered me out of the field and washed me so that I could bare fruit again.

And when I had done these things in truth with all of my heart, with all of my soul, and with all of my might, in Jesus name, The Lord descended from that Pillar which connects Heaven and Earth, and washed my sins away in his Spirit, which resides in Truth and Love.

And The Lord did send me his Angels of Salvation in the name of Jesus. They danced in the sky and went to and fro until I was made light. Then the Angel came down to me and put a seal on my forehead and told me to prophesy what I had been shown so that they may know God and God may be happy with them.

If anyone wishes to learn about the Kingdom of God let them ask. For there is no greater charge then to be separated from God. You have charged yourself through your transgressions and have started to plow the field but have turned your head backwards, and you do not see what direction you are heading. Listen to God's words and cleanse your soul by following his laws. Only then will you have an honest heart, and find repentance in truth, which is salvation through The Lord. When you have done these things his spirit will know you and you will never be without him.

[edit on 7-10-2007 by Raphael]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Back to OP:

IMO
No i wouldn't. The reason we do stuff in this life is because we know there's an end to it. There would be no point of living if it doesn't end. How can you not get bored when it's eternity?

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raphael
And when I had done these things in truth with all of my heart, with all of my soul, and with all of my might, in Jesus name, The Lord descended from that Pillar which connects Heaven and Earth, and washed my sins away in his Spirit, which resides in Truth and Love.

And The Lord did send me his Angels of Salvation in the name of Jesus. They danced in the sky and went to and fro until I was made light. Then the Angel came down to me and put a seal on my forehead and told me to prophesy what I had been shown so that they may know God and God may be happy with them.

Would you be willing to present details? Were these things seen or felt? Is the above parabolic? How did God tell you to prophesize?

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I loved your post, very well said.

Boredom based on time is a good point, but part of my question was if you experience all that can be experience, said all that can be said, if you reach a point when everything that is possible to learn or to explore, has been done so over and over, then what?

If the universe is infinite, then this would not become a issue, but if it is not, sooner of later, you will experience all that can be experienced.

Even living out of time, when you no longer have a purpose, then what?

I would love to try anyway.

Reincarnation is fascinating to me, you never know, living as a dung beetle could be fun.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   

And the Lord God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." (Genesis 3:22)

So, what makes you think they have changed their mind?

Genesis 3:22
And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

3:23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

The Flaming Sword in 3:24 is God's Spirit being created in the Garden of Eden. God's Spirit is God's Word and The Truth which is salvation. Anyone who renews their soul, shows they bare good fruit, shall be saved to be transformed to a new tree, which resides in Truth and Love /God's Spirit. The door to salvation is open to all who seek it.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raphael

Would you be willing to present details? Were these things seen or felt? Is the above parabolic? How did God tell you to prophesize?

I am willing to explain anything in which The Father has shown me. The Lord can manifest in Spirit which is his Sword, His Word, The Truth and it can be felt, and he can speak through it, through you. The Spirit will never perish nor will his love, the faithful who come to him in Truth will find him and he will comfort them and nourish them, and endure them so that they may replant the field in the day of his harvest so that heaven may be pleased with us.

And when I saw The LORD descend from the mountain top which is Heaven, on his vessels which did fly, but were not of this time and space. I began to cry and shake and asked for death over a life of sin, then the LORD descended over me and I was become light so that my soul had been transformed, then The Lord placed a seal on my forehead, I am to prophecy what I have seen, so that I may lead you to The Truth which resides in the Spirit which is the Word.

[edit on 7-10-2007 by Raphael]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hi LDragonFire,

it's a tough one to answer, for sure. I'd sure be interested to find out -- especially as a universe with a limit to it is kind of an oxymoron. And of course, if one is omnipotent...then that would imply being able to change anything...

Hmmm

Be good to discuss this further if that will be possible without the religious angle in some posts taking over all the time. I have no problem with people stating their beliefs in the right place, and I understand there are threads where people can discuss their religious beliefs/unbeliefs to their heart's content... I just don't know why they are doing so on a thread that was begun to consider a non-religion-based question, one raised purely as a point for conjecture and discussion.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The reason i do not believe in any form of religion is simply because i believe it was a way of keeping the world at bay(almost like a mental police force). If you preach to the masses and tell them they will go to hell if they sin than then if they believe this they will do no evil (or crime). Thye reason i said mental police force is because in those times actual police forces did not exist as we all know. So there had to be some way of keeping everyone from commiting crime or doing wrong altogether.

A christian i spoke to said i will even go to hell for not being a christain. I do have morals and im not into crimes and genral wrondoings but some of these things that you have to stick to are a bit restrictive.

In the end its turned to a point where wars are fought over religion. So religion cant be all that graceful if people want to kill each other in the name of it.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silk101

Would you like to live for a Eternity? If yes please explain why. If no please explain why?

JustMike, It is my fault that there are posts concerning Religious faith in this thread.
1. I posted this in the Conspiracy in Religion forum.

2. I mentioned would you want to spend Eternity on your knees[before your choice of God]

However, I can almost hear the chanting in the background.

To All Posters: Would you like to live for a Eternity? If yes please explain why. If no please explain why? Whatever your belief is.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I guess i would not mind being re-incarnated. But i would not want to live for ever as the same person. It would get ever so boring after millions of years.

But being reincarnated sounds good because your physical self and personality will change every time you die.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   

You're willing to accept this part of the Bible as truth but not the rest of it? The rest of it is the story on how that garden mistake can be redeemed.

Whooooa , where did I ever say I didn't accept that there are certain Truths in the Bible?

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Somethings I think about,

Sometimes I wonder why god gave us free will only to lay down laws he knew we wouldn't keep because he made us imperfect.

What is it, is all a test to see who would be courageous enough to ask god why and not follow unquestioningly

Does God know what we are going to do before we do it?

Like we needed a Judas, didn't the plan need fulfillment, so we had to have a Savior who had to be betrayed in order for the fulfillment of prophecy, So with Judas just a part of the divine plan, was he really a bad guy or also a scapegoat,

Jesus the hero, or Judas the scoundrel, who makes out Best in that drama?

I would rather play the hero, seems to me it takes more guts to be the villain who resides in hell forever then the son of god.

Not unlike Satan, so we need a tempter to test us?

I always wondered if God does have a eternal place for our souls, would he not have to forgive all of us regardless, because he knew we would fail?

Is earth a hell like testing ground?

About reincarnation, It seems unfair to be reincarnated and punished or rewarded for things you cannot remember,

Also I often wondered how fair it is to feel guilt for a harsh life because you think you were bad in a past life, how horrible to carry around all that guilt, for nothing.

I remember as a small child my fear of hell, I would cry inconsolable at the smallest of mistakes i perceived as sins, through most of my young adulthood I always thought i would never be good enough to make it into heaven.

[edit on 013131p://bSunday2007 by Stormdancer777]

[edit on 013131p://bSunday2007 by Stormdancer777]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join