It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you really want to live for a Eternity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
If I was a omnipotent[type] being and the universe was unending, meaning I had the opportunity to learn and grow still, to see and experience new things, It would be most Excellent.

I like to fish, fishing for a eternity would eventually turn to hell.

I like to hunt, see above.

I like computers, games, and puzzles, well you get my point

Any repetitions would drive me mad and turn to hell, I need a variety of experiences to explore.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I agree with your last post LDragonFire. I'm tempted to take a screenshot because it's a rare occasion.
One of the reasons I'm 'addicted' (not really but if I were to have addictions these would be it) to computer games, the news, stocks, ATS, talking to people and so forth is because they are always changing. I used to hate change when I had no grounding, but now I'm seeking it out. One thing that can be said about history is although mankinds nature seems no different, there has been a lot of changes.

[edit response]Hehe, feel free to make it signature if you like.

[edit on 4-10-2007 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
I agree with your last post LDragonFire. I'm tempted to take a screenshot because it's a rare occasion.

Alas miracles do happen!

Your post would make a good signature.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I think that there's too much too see on this planet in one life time, and for that reason, yes, I would love to live for ever.

But, and a big but, we don't live for ever so we may as well make the most of it while were here.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
But, and a big but, we don't live for ever so we may as well make the most of it while were here.

So certain are you of this hmmm? Proof you have then of there is no soul nor eternal life? Faith in the idea of something unprovenable to others have you as much as faith have I in the opposite. Difference is proof I have for myself, but cannot share, only help others obtain their own.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Because there is no evidence for anything other than it ending.

MM-

But in turn there isn’t any evidence to the contrary either. Its like Schrödinger's cat, until it happens you will not know.

I’m not telling you to change your whole belief system but the view you presented and the argument you stated is flawed. There is no evidence to back up either argument between you or I in this situation.

Was I the only one that saw Flatliners and wanted to try it?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

So certain are you of this hmmm? Proof you have then of there is no soul nor eternal life?

Where's your proof of an afterlife?

Answer: you don't have any and neither does anyone else.

A rational person goes by the evidence. Absence of evidence is evidence of absence. When you come up with real evidence of an afterlife, then I'll reexamine my position.

Until then, it's all wishes and fairy stories. And I'm allergic to pixy dust, so please keep it away from me.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostryder21

Actually my statement is not flawed.

The burden of proof lies on those claiming the existence of something. It is not on anyone to prove the negative.

Until evidence for an afterlife is produced, real, objective, empiric evidence, then the default position is that it does not exist.

That's the scientific method for you.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Would I like to live for eternity?

Is this a trick question?

Let me see, Let's take a look at paradise, up close and personal,

What a beautiful picture, but full of deadly creatures, even the snake was in paradise, not to mention swamp fever,

Eternity could be a trap if you wish for the wrong location,

Is living forever a selfesh want?

Maybe this is another test.

Eternity sounds lovely, to know all the secrets of the universe, to be like god?

Maybe god is not happy, he is said to have all the emotions he gave us.

I often wondered what he did on the seventh day, maybe he is hiding from us, I would.

[edit on 103131p://bThursday2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
All of this made me remember the Pulitzer Prize winning book, "The Denial of Death," by Ernest Becker. In it he makes the point that people do almost everything they can to achieve a sense of immortality. Most do it by writing books and memorable words that exist far past their lifetime. I suppose the idea "to make your mark," expresses that idea well.

Think about the Hunza tribe who eats apricot pits and lives a vigorous old age. We do not even think about living that long and well, because the FDA says they are idiots who shouldn't be using Vitamin B-17.

Now that simplicity and longevity contrasts sharply with our vanity in presuming our heavy economic system confers survival. But our survival has quality of life issues. Their more difficult life somehow confers an extended youth both in appearance and diagnosis.

The real question is longevity, not necessarily "living forever."

Yes we all want to live as long as we can. The sun is shining, the world is turning, and it is all about living. Making the most of every day extends your life within the boundaries of that day. Living a long life alone is not what life extension is all about.

But the question "living for eternity," if you are talking about the physical body, is statistically beyond the pale. You will meet the bus, rather than catch it sooner or later. But who knows in a Universe of multiple parallel dimensions, what metaphysical and ontological character of subjective thought would demonstrate. A philosophical and even scientific analysis of what is possible in physics maintains greater potentials. There are people who tell stories that it is impossible that they are alive right now, but they are. They might have the experience of being in a car accident, but somehow escaping with minor or no injuries. In that experiential dilemma did the Universe split itself, when one set of people goes on without you, and the other exists with you? Did a guardian angel save you, or for less faithful among us did some benevolent space alien do it? If so hang on for the ride in case living for eternity is more inevitable than impossible.

[edit on 4-10-2007 by SkipShipman]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Where's your proof of an afterlife?

Snip you too soon see I hmm? Said after I "Difference is proof I have for myself, but cannot share, only help others obtain their own. "

Answer: you don't have any and neither does anyone else.

Know you not what proofs have I not or I have. Said I as before no proof have you none is the afterlife nor soul exist.

A rational person goes by the evidence. Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

Wrong you are about this since past history shows things existed without our knowledge. Continue still do things exist without knowledge we have.

When you come up with real evidence of an afterlife, then I'll reexamine my position.

Job is not mine to bring proof to you. Before as said, job is mine to help obtain proof should want it the other person does.

Until then, it's all wishes and fairy stories. And I'm allergic to pixy dust, so please keep it away from me.

Believe as you wish, the choice each one of us has.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
MM-

You’re free to choose to believe what you want to believe. There is no hard concrete here you go evidence of an afterlife. But there is no hard concrete evidence of there not being an afterlife. If you have evidence of there NOT being an afterlife please share.

This thread has split into 2 different views now. One is about living forever and another is about afterlife. Maybe a new thread should be started asking that question.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   

And the Lord God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." (Genesis 3:22)

So, what makes you think they have changed their mind?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostryder21

As I said up above, the person making the claim for existence has the burden of proof, not me. I am going by the evidence to date, which holds there is no afterlife. Because there is no evidence of an afterlife.

When you get some evidence I'll admit I'm wrong, but until then, I have no burden to prove the negative.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

I thought the topic was, "Would you really want to live for a Eternity" not "Is there an afterlife." Can we save that debate for threads that it applies to please?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sorry, Intrepid. The only framework that we could live forever would be in an afterlife, because the human body wears out after a while.

So it appears my mind is stuck in that frame -- I can't conceive of any BODY living forever, and I also don't believe in a soul that can live forever.

And anyway, this is in the Conspiracies in Religion forum -- unless I miss my guess, religion is the only vehicle that claims eternal life, via an afterlife.

I hope that this clarifies what my answers were about.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

So it appears my mind is stuck in that frame.and I also don't believe in a soul that can live forever

Just loosen the frame a bit and consider the possibility that non-existence-of-consciousness is an illusion. Loosen up.

And anyway, this is in the Conspiracies in Religion forum -- unless I miss my guess, religion is the only vehicle that claims eternal life, via an afterlife.

Wrong. Very wrong. I am very anti-religious and still believe in afterlife, eternity, infinity and consciousness.

Atheist propaganda has it that only religion promotes this type of belief. Ever heard of a "new ager"? We dont like religion, but we sure love our spirit realms.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Actually, the afterlife debate started when someone posting stated that their idea of living forever required them to believe in an afterlife with their god. You took offense to this because of your ideas and stated there was no afterlife dirt nap for me etc. I went to state that there is no proof for or against an after life and tried on multiple times to steer the discussion back to its original question but everyone was bent on proving disproving afterlife.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
There's always the hope that Science and Medicine will advance faster than my body decays.

"They" will keep coming up with ways to repair my aging body.
And so, I will never get around to dying.

Who wants to die? I've seen people do it. No offence, but it really really sucks.
Who wants to Live Forever? Frame it the other way around... Who Wants to Die? I'm in no rush.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I really wouldn't want to live as a human for eternity, in fact that question used to keep me up at night when I was as young as 6 or 7! Nowadays I just don't think of it, it creeps me out, I don't like the idea of having to exist with this mind for eternity. Maybe if we changed forms and evolved enough to not be in such a limited frame of mind it would be not so bad. And the whole worshipping God forever and ever, why would anyone want to do that?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join