It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you really want to live for a Eternity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Better dead for eternity than the eternal boredom of worshiping a being I don't believe in.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
*sigh* Is it because your local church is boring? Mankind's fault there. I admit, I've been to a few that are snoozers. I can say this, since I've known God, life has been anything but boring. Maybe because paradise on earth (like hawaii) is boring after a while? I dunno where the rationale comes into play, but nowhere in the Bible or in anyone's heavenly oobe/nde experience did I hear the words 'boring'.

A kind of hell on earth is described as dull however here:

"How the gold has lost its luster,
the fine gold become dull!
The sacred gems are scattered
at the head of every street.

How the precious sons of Zion,
once worth their weight in gold,
are now considered as pots of clay,
the work of a potter's hands!

Even jackals offer their breasts
to nurse their young,
but my people have become heartless
like ostriches in the desert." - Lamentations 4:1-3

Earth is boring, I'm standing in line for the big rollercoaster

[edit on 2-10-2007 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Thanks for the reply
but I also wanted the angle if God had nothing to do with it.

What if your could live for a Eternity as a Godlike omnipotent being. Like a Q from Star Trek TNG?? Q (Star Trek]

The whole God angle of eternity to me seems like we would become spirits and merge with God, kind of like the argument about the trinity, Jesus returned to heaven and his spirit merged with God and the holy spirit forming one being= God, I don't believe this but thats what I get out of the argument.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think some of you are focusing on purely the negative possible aspects to being a "God". Imagine the single, best sensory input u've ever received (sex, drug, meditation or fasting), now extend it infinitely, or maybe just 10 billion years, its up to you.

TBH, in the Judeo-Christian texts, God sounds somewhat confused as to what he is, what his name is, and what form he is. He simply replies "I AM". Now to me, I AM was God's way of saying, "Look, I didn't make you advanced or perceptive enough to understand my form in the slightest, so just assume I AM [ALWAYS there], which includes was always and will always be".

He was trying to explain his form to a Human!

And he says "I AM".

That kind of blows my mind in itself. Kinda makes you wonder about all the unanswered questions about our origins, our ultimate fate, and on the afterlife.

You know how when you honestly dont know what something is, you never notice it being said, or you never see it? But as soon as you notice it once, or are told once, you begin noticing it almost instantly, that same day, even in places you normally go and never saw it. It could be a new brand of ravioli, a new magazine, or a technical term whose definition you didn't know. Or even a band, whom you never noticed until someone showed you. It must be like that, God must be, and his form and ultimately the moral elect of the Earth (whether you like it or not, if you are a good person, I'm going to see your ass in heaven to tell you that you were wrong lol, even if you don't believe).

Each man will be judged by his WORKS accordingly. Accomplishments, way of life. Way he/she lives, the nice things they did. All of this type of stuff.

Now the possibilty of being in a persistent state of reincarnation up until this dimenson ends, well that is something that could be indeed possible. Before I became a practicing Judeo-Christian, reincarnation was my big thought on the pattern of life. But even then, even then, once you become a Buddha and attain Nirvana, you get to skip out on the constant reincarnation, and you begin existing in some weird, spiritual, infinite existence. Perhaps this is how the "Angels" earn their "wings", by attaining Nirvana first to skip out on reincarnation, achieving the peak spiritual level of Human understanding, then once free of the material world, you'll not even need to be told "not to" commit harm or pain on others, nor will any special law exist by God not letting you. You just wont want to, you'll no longer have a pinch of imperfection to your entire spirit.

It will be awesome. But the death part beforehand will probably suck.

And the beauty of God's wisdom is thus: Believers will never know, and Non-believers will never know, which group was closest to being correct about the afterlife or an existence of one. So it doesn't matter who ends up being right or wrong, no one will ever know until even the last day of the last man ever to live again.

If Believers are wrong, and when you die you just cease to be ever again, in any form, and there's no psuedo-eternal spirit, just fade to black and permanent sleep without a single dream. Not so bad, especially after a long hard life, some just honestly want to give it up.

If Non-Believers are wrong, and when you die you do get judged on your works on Earth, and/or reincarnated into another Human or even an animal if you really messed up in your previous life (and killed 50 innocent people in cold blood, for example). If you don't get reincarnated, you'd become an ethereal like spiritual form, freed of the physical, material world.

If there's a Heaven, it must be like the "Whites Only Country Golf Club" of the non-physical realm, without the racist entry requirements. Bad joke, but it would be for the elect, those who lived the best lives by having the most positive work done of their hands while they were on Earth as Human.

I don't know about Hell. I think some early translators of the Hebrew and Aramaic texts may have gotten the wrong idea, and theres evidence of this when comparing the Hell of Judaism and the Hell of Christianity. The Hell of Judaism, Sheol in Hebrew, is supposed to be where EVERY human being's soul goes to wait until the Resurrection via the Moshiach, or Messiah. It's like a constant state of spiritual sleep, almost. Now, I may be wrong on one thing here, there may or may not be a "place of eternal torment" in Judaism, I just know that most Christian churches teach that there is one. But Sheol did get translated as "Hell" when it really should've meant more like "Purgatory".

Then, at the Resurrection, those who were wicked and never repented and lived absolutely terrible lives, and are just utterly evil, worthless beings, if they are righteously judged as such by God, being cast into the Lake of Fire, in my opinion, sounds more like being eternally extinguished, no longer existing, just having your spirit straight-up destroyed into nothingness. So I dont think theres a massive torture chamber called Hell, as it is commonly described. Some people think the wicked ones will be given specially made psuedo-bodies to trap them in while being eternally tormented in Hell. Because otherwise, you can't really feel the pain and torment, you need some kind-of flesh I'd imagine. Thats why lake of fire sounds like being eternally destroyed, because if a man were tossed into a lake of hot lava, they'd be consumed until there was NOTHING left of them, thats the symbolism I get from it anyways.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
*sigh* Is it because your local church is boring?

Uh, no. I don't go to church.

It's because having one overwhelming emotion 24/7/infinity is boring. The reason happiness is so wonderful is because it is counterpoint to pain, unhappiness and fear. It's the juxtaposition of emotion that makes happiness and love mean anything. If you only ever feel one thing, then it becomes meaningless. Love would become meaningless.

I stand by my words. An eternity of standing around staring lovingly at some bright light sounds extremely boring, and I'm very glad I'm not going to be stuck with it.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Dirt nap, here I come! (Hopefully in another 40 or so years)

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Maybe Eternity/Heaven God is a giant jar of crunchy peanut butter, God is the peanut butter and all who spend eternity with him are the nuts.

oooooooh its all squishy in my toes, uh wait a minute I don't have any toes.

bliss

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Maybe Eternity/Heaven God is a giant jar of crunchy peanut butter, God is the peanut butter and all who spend eternity with him are the nuts.

bliss

lol nice one

Unfortunately this topic seems to have been derailed and the discussion shifted from living forever to the religious aspect of living forever.

Like I stated before religious aspect aside nothing doing with the 12 major religions or w/e yeah id take the opportunity if I could to live forever.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

bliss

Thank you for this incomprehesible piece of nonsense. I suddenly feel a great sense of hope for the people who talk to themselves as they pace up and down the street.

Originally posted by MajorMalfuction
Dirt nap, here I come! (Hopefully in another 40 or so years)

Enjoy! Oh wait, you couldn't. You'll be dead. Nevermind.

ghostryder21, the reason why the conversation changed is the religous aspect does not include boredom which was the foundational argument as to why one would not want to live forever. With Christian consideration, boredom is a non-issue.

[edit on 3-10-2007 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Ghostryder21, the reason why the conversation changed is the religious aspect does not include boredom which was the foundational argument as to why one would not want to live forever. With Christian consideration, boredom is a non-issue.

I understand why it changed to a religious aspect and why boredom would be it. Why if your [insert religion here] you would not be bored in [insert afterlife here] I’m not castrating any ideas that anyone has on this issue. My argument is the topic was living forever and it got spun into a religious debate. Everyone has his or her own views and discussions about what happens when you die. MM has her views, S4G has his, and I have mine. The question at hand was would you lie to live forever. I think it would have to have been phrased differently in order to get the appropriate response the OP had in mind. Maybe if he phrased it- Would you like to live forever in this mortal world called earth. Why would you and what would you expect to do.

A wise man once said

“There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. But there is no evidence of any sort against it. Soon enough you will know. So why fret about it?”

Lazarus Long

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostryder21
I think it would have to have been phrased differently in order to get the appropriate response the OP had in mind. Maybe if he phrased it- Would you like to live forever in this mortal world called earth. Why would you and what would you expect to do.

I think that's a much more objective way of putting it.

The original topic (which is actually a question) is placed into the negative. It does not ask "Would you want to live for eternity?", rather the emphasis falls to its "you should reconsider" wording of "Would you really want to live for a Eternity"? Now it's a persuasive essay instead of an object poll. It's like me saying, "You don't really want that last piece of cake, do you?" My agenda would then be I want it for myself. Why someone would want to talk someone out of eternal life is beyond me, nevertheless, here we are.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Better dead for eternity than the eternal boredom of worshiping a being I don't believe in.

If you think it will be boring, then your boring, I can think of millions of things that I can do, I would love to live forever.

You say it would be great to have peace and relax when you die, but if you do have that how will you know that you are at peace, you wont, what would be the point of you living now, you wont remember a tiny bit of it, you probably think just have fun while you live, well that would be worthless if you die and cant remember as if nothing ever happened. You wont be conscious to realize it, that you had fun, YOU wont exist, your opinion of not wanting to live forever, that view that feeling you have, wont exist, you reading this wont exist, all the beauty in the world, all the great things, all the mysteries of the universe, the unlimited beautiful things beyond imagination, things that your mind could never imagine, these wont exist, because you would be dead. Do you really want that?

Being alive is the greatest thing ever! I love it, Im am very happy for it, losing something so great would be my worse nightmare.

[edit on 3-10-2007 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

If you think it will be boring, then your boring, I can think of millions of things that I can do, I would love to live forever.

Well, then if I'm boring, you must be unrealistic. The human mind is not made to last forever. It's made to end.

Calling me names isn't going to change that fact.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Well, then if I'm boring, you must be unrealistic. The human mind is not made to last forever. It's made to end.

Calling me names isn't going to change that fact.

LOL your missing the point, I wasn't calling you names, its just a saying, when someones bored, its their fault.
Who said that it would be your human mind anyway, who knows what could happen.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I can remember vague memories and pieces of them first starting around the age of 3, moving onto 4 years old. Thats when my memories begin. I can't remember a single thing, NOTHING not even a shred, before that. I'm told this is normal and most people only begin remembering most things at the age of 3.

If this is so, everything im about to say is a scientific fact.

I have existed on this planet, in a human form, 25 years. during the first 3 years of my fleshly existence here on this pound-hole, yes a #-hole, a censored dump, I slowly began remembering things. Up until then, there is zero memories, I couldnt tell ya nothin'.

So to me, as far as im conserned, I have existed in the flesh without even knowing it, people! isnt that strange? How can we live and be all aware and human yet we cant remember anything, i mean anything at all, before 3yrs old?

I remember every single important thing that happened since i was 5yrs old and onward. Sometimes ill forget, but they always come back to me. So it was a sudden .. kind of .. "wham", instantly my memory started recording when as before, it wasnt recording.

This makes me feel like I could not exist in the flesh while still existing, because if I had no memory whilst in the flesh, I certainly would have no memory of anything my spirit was involved in or doing before it went into this flesh of mine. And likewise, when I die, I could begin recording again, except in some non-physical place.

I dunno, maybe I just like to imagine flying through outer space, from galaxy to galaxy and beyond, yet completely invisible to anyone in the lower realms of existence, like the physical one. Any maybe those who are perceptive to spirits can see me, and scream and call me a Ghost, when im really just mindin' my bizz, walking through YOUR house as a spirit checking # out, seeing what you have in the fridge, make sure no babies are drowning in the tub, etc.

But dont piss me off or ill get poltergeist on you!

[edit on 10/3/2007 by runetang]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

The human mind is not made to last forever. It's made to end.

Technically speaking I would like to think that if given the opportunity to live forever and be a watcher and learner throughout millennia after millennia, the mind would expand and adapt to the information coming in. it would grow forth and expand what your capable of doing and be limitless. Its been mentioned that we only use 10% of our brain. What about the other 90%? I think that there is no end to what we can accomplish but it is limited to our imaginations and restrictions that we set forth upon ourselves. I think that the human brain can only handle more than one lifetime worth of memories. There is no feasible way to test this yet.

I do have a question for you though MM why do you think that the human mind is ment to end?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   

He he. I can imagine your first day in Heaven.
MM: "No! I still refuse to believe in God!"
Angel: "Just play ya damn harp already."

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostryder21

I do have a question for you though MM why do you think that the human mind is ment to end?

Because there is no evidence for anything other than it ending.

Do trees have an afterlife? Do cats? Do goldfish? Do mushrooms? Ants? Leeches?

Why or why not?

We come from the same stuff as they do. We are not special from them except for our brains, posture, and opposable thumbs. Can you demonstrate to me how we evolved a soul? Is there a "soul gene" somewhere hidden in the genome?

Of course not. We aren't special. We die. That's it. And I find that to be comforting. I'm a part of the wheel of life, I'm not outside of it. I am living now, in my season of life, and then I will die to make room for the next season. I'm bound to this planet as is every other living thing. And there is one truth for all of us in common on this planet, right down to the bacterium on our skins: nothing lasts forever and everything dies.

Coming to peace with that is why we have religions. I prefer to face the only truth we have evidence for unflinchingly and with my eyes open. How about you?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Oh hell yeah I would want to live forever, think of all the endless possibilities!

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Lets see here, would I want to live forever...well given the present situation...not really. However that is given the present situation and not one coming from the point of view that it will all change upon Jesus's return.

Now lets take a look at some of what will happen...one I get a new body that wont die, get sick, ware out or grow old. That sounds good! We would live where time doesn't matter so forever has no reference point. Also we are told that eye has not seen, nor ear heard nor has it entered into the mind of man the wonderful things the Lord has in store for those who love Him. I take that to mean that it is better than anything I can think of and trust me I can think of some mighty good stuff.

We are also told that we will build our own homes and plant our own vineyards. OH boy!!!! I can have the home of my dreams and eat the foods I love to eat plus guaranteed to do other things. With the Lord providing these things for me to make to His glory, you bet I am going to praise Him and thank Him for eternity.

Now whether you believe in Him or not is your choice, but don't complain when you get to meet Him. He doesn't accept excuses and the "OH I didn't believe in you" so I'll just go about my business wont cut the mustard. For every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord.

It has been written; "the preaching of the cross to those that parish, is foolishness". Its not about religion its about a relationship. Either you have a relationship with Jesus or you don't.

Do I want to live forever...You Bet I Do!!!! Spending it with my Lord and savior Jesus Christ is nothing short of pure joy, ultimate peace and everlasting happiness.

I would just love to travel and study all the star systems and galaxies now thats got to take a very long time.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I believe we can to see eternity in a more down to earth manner and also spiritual:
Our parents have handed to us a chromosomal baton in the relay race of eternal life and we passed on to our children for the never ending cycle of life, if we take up the challenge to become parents.
In this manner we guaranty that our genes continues they race to eternity in providing them a new containers that is the human body. The only eternal aspect of our material life is our genes. Spirituality has tried so hard to find the location of the soul in our body. So now that we now scientifically that our genes are immortal if not damaged or tempted and also are the only known carrier threw time, how cant we not say that we are not in fact immortal al ready and have lost the memory of previous life.
Must probably when science and spirituality will merge as one then we may find the answer.

kacou

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join