It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you really want to live for a Eternity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Living Forever and ever and ever with no end. Would you want to do this? Even if you were omnipotent?

Seems to me after awhile it could get pretty boring, what if you reached a point that everything that ever could be said had been over and over again? Everything that could be done, everyone that you could know?

Could you kneel before a God for a eternity and be happy about it?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Sure thing, but absolutely not as human. If theories are to be believed, we are all eternal spirits, here on earth to evolve spiritually. Unfortunately, most societies dont really value such things.

The theories could be false, sure, but it makes me feel hope to know they could be real.

And where do you get the "kneel before God" thing? Nobody suppresses anyone else in eternity.

[edit on 2-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
No! No! A googleplex times no!

How utterly boring. Even worse, an eternity of worshiping a light in some nebulous cloud land where everyone gets to look smugly down on the people burning in the lake of fire.

the very thought of an eternity spent with sanctimonious and smugly smarmy beings gives me the creeps.

Life is enough. I'm not saying I can't wait for it to be over -- it's the only one I've got. But I will be very glad when the end approaches to know that I'm not going to be in some insipid heaven, or boring purgatory, or some wandering ghost that can see the material world and only interact with it enough to scare the credulous and small children.

Vive la void! Hooray for the long sleep!

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Georg Cantor, Ludwig Boltzmann, this mathematiscien and other have looked at the concept of eternity.
They killed them self after a glimps of what many called a forbiben knowledge.
I my self would love to live for ever...you should read about reincarnation it is also related closely to your post.

Kacou

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
As a human being, no way LDragon...

For me, that would "cheapen" what it means to be "human" we've always believed to be human is to have a finite "consciousness" ON THIS PLANE of existence...

For me, as a human, to live for eternity would only serve to prolong the inevitable...

However, if I could transcend and move beyond being "human", perhaps existing for "eternity" might be attractive...

Wow !! This one poses far more answers than questions...Trust you to do my head in my friend, again

Peace

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
[IMO]

We already do 'live' for eternity. My experience suggests that our souls carry on after death and that reincarnation is a truth.

If one further believes that God is the sum of all soul and spirit, then no living thing needs to 'bow down' since all beings already are a part of God.

A stone bows down to nothing and yet it is also a part of God.

The gift of self-awareness and intelligence that we humans enjoy should be appreciated and treasured, though... and the thought of a Creator (which many religions/traditions share) requires us to take good care of ourselves, each other and our environment. If that's 'bowing down', I'm all for it.

[/IMO]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Oh yes,
I want to live forever.
Maybe I would get bored eventually but not for a long, long time.

Not sure about the "kneeling before God" bit though.

I know it's an awful world we live in at the moment, but imagine the future, it could be great.

And anything will be better than the eternal nothing which possibly awaits.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
[IMO]

We already do 'live' for eternity. My experience suggests that our souls carry on after death and that reincarnation is a truth.

This sounds good to me, new experiences within a new life. Sign me up!

If one further believes that God is the sum of all soul and spirit, then no living thing needs to 'bow down' since all beings already are a part of God.

A stone bows down to nothing and yet it is also a part of God.

The thought of having to worship a God figure for a Eternity is agonizing to me. And just what is up with the whole streets of Gold, gold is metal and if it rained it would get mighty slippery, and don't even say it won't rain, cause that would just be even more depressing.

The gift of self-awareness and intelligence that we humans enjoy should be appreciated and treasured, though... and the thought of a Creator (which many religions/traditions share) requires us to take good care of ourselves, each other and our environment. If that's 'bowing down', I'm all for it.

If this was the facts and actions of religions I might agree with you.

[/IMO]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

But....

If we somehow find ourselves faced with the prospect of "eternity"...Would we need to necessarily worship a "god" figure in order to maintain eternity ?

What if "eternity" was granted by a lesser than god like being ? Like some being from another part of space or another dimension who did not apply the onus on you of worshiping them, like many of our current religions do ?

Would that not make you a deity within yourself ?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Perhaps that is the principle powers delimma which created us faced. So to enjoy there eternity, they created us to play in.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

Being changed is a primary ingredient in Jesus( Jeshua). "The corruptible being changed to incorruptible" When Moses Saw the tiniest glimpse of God,his face shone so brightly that the Israelites couldn't look at him.
If you are born again, immediately things are not the 'same old, same old'.
The joy and freedom just becoming a child of God, still fleshly, on earth; I can't imagine being physically changed to be with God forever!!!
The day I became a christian with a hangover and addicted to speed, I had no joy, no peace. Even though my boyfriend, who was with a band, had just gotten me a lead singing gig with a band, but I had to come up with lyrics.
So bored with life, what could I write about?????
After God's saving Grace( All I did was tell God I believed in his son, and ask Jesus to forgive me, he did right then and there!!! No doubts)
Anyway my boyfriend called and asked if I was going to see him play the Roxy music theatre, I told him about my new found faith and that that type of music no longer reflected 'me'
He was shocked and told me he'd give me some space.
Living here means we have conflicts. The world, the flesh and the devil make things confusing sometimes.
I heard that the ratio of oxygen mixed with the increase of the gravitational pull made pre-flood Earth's atmosphere 'intoxicating' like coc aine. That right ther would please many, but, I have been so close to Jesus that I felt the greatest joy and love and value for humans that I couldn't imagine it getting better!
I know I've been rambling, but....To live without fear and malice and the devil and bills .....in a New Jerusalem with God himself who loves us so much, but our sins keep him from us.
We have to stay here and help others until we have no time left to help..... "Work for the night is coming".
During the tribulation, death will be sought after.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Clearskies...There is so much truth in what you have written and most importantly, alluded to...You have prompted a discussion of what you have written, the magnitude of which I don't believe I have discovered on ATS thus far...

Please allow me the indulgence of sleep given we are of different time zones, and expect a proper and reasonable reply to what you have written in due course...

Thankyou for posting same

Peace

Tony ( I don't oft use my real name, but your post is worthy of same...)

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
[IMO]

Cool, that sums up my 2cents too.
It would certainly be horrid to live one, continuous "life".

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
To live forever-

There are many pros and cons about it and ultimately it depends on your morals and ethics. Personally speaking I would love to live forever in a human form. To go through time and be a witness at all the human accomplishments and tragedies that happen. To walk through time and see all the objects we dream about become reality. I would love it.

I understand some people’s views about living forever spiritually or some people’s views about taking that great sleep. But I personally would love to travel the stars. Travel from system to system living the life I want to live. Staying however long I want and then moving on.

To be Lazarus…yes I would in a heartbeat.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

The theories could be false, sure, but it makes me feel hope to know they could be real.

And where do you get the "kneel before God" thing? Nobody suppresses anyone else in eternity.

The Christian church teaches for all eternity we will sing God's praises and worship him. They do not think of this as opression but rather god stuff.

And living one continuos life would not be kewl. Say going for at least 10-20 yaers between lives and being able to remember them would be awesome. I believe that I have had past lives, but for some reason can not remember them. I feel it though. I should have been born in the days of the Druids..... maybe I was.

I agree with you that having faith in something outside this mortal coil is awesome and fullfilling. So what if this is it. I look forward to designing my afterlife.

[edit on 2-10-2007 by Timmyboi23]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Timmyboi23

There are so many similarities in religions all over the world that something must have created the "original" that all religions are based on. But then I feel that, like everything else in this world, the religious teachings have been corrupted by the leaders in order to control people and earn money. For example, go to the church and get your sins forgiven for money.

We live in a strange world today when nothing can really be trusted, and everything is just interpretations by somebody else.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
There are so many similarities in religions all over the world that something must have created the "original" that all religions are based on. But then I feel that, like everything else in this world, the religious teachings have been corrupted by the leaders in order to control people and earn money. For example, go to the church and get your sins forgiven for money.

Here's a link about the origins of ALL religions (except Jesus) stemming from Babylon.
This book was written in 1853 and is very applicable today.
The front page looks like it only focuses on Catholicism, but, it doesn't.The Two Babylons

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If all religion stemmed from Babylon, you guys would still be worshiping Baal and all those other godlings.

Babylon isn't the be-all and end-all of human religion. It's also not the be-beginning.

The claim that all false religions started in Babylon and the Christian religion is the only true one is nothing but arrogance.

Get this: there were parts of the world that religions formed in that never even HEARD of Babylon. the Aztecs, for example, no evidence of Babylonian thought or gods there. Likewise China, India, and other parts of MesoAmerica.

I'm pretty sure the Egyptians had their own independent religion and gods as well, being civilizations running concurrently with Ancient Babylon.

Here is a chart about the 12 main religions today

the first religion on earth that we know of was animism. And that was not original to, nor unique to, the Babylonians.

The Christian bible is the origin of this "all religions come from Babylon" nonsense. It's hardly a scientific nor modern tome. It is biased by the people who wrote it, who didn't like Babylon.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
You don't understand what I'm getting at, What the bible says.

After the flood, MOST EVERYONE came from Babylon when it was the only metropolitan city, drawing anyone who wanted glamour and diversity.
However, when God changed thier languages, a complete opposite of speaking in tongues in the New Testament, They were dispersed, into the whole Earth.
There is substantial evidence for the similarities in ALL cultures and religions Apart from (The Two Babylons). You should read it and actually
think about it.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Why does everyone think heaven is boring?

Boredom is hell. Anyone who has ever been bored should already know this.

I have a question. Would you really want to be dead for eternity?

[edit on 2-10-2007 by saint4God]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join