It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hate the new school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
My middle son is in a special day class, and he got sent to a new school this year. This is his second day and I went a few minutes early to pick him up to meet the teacher. I hate the school, I dont think the teacher is cut out for special ed teaching, and I had to call the district office to set up a meeting to get my kid out of there ASAP. The class is 13 boys. 12 of those are kids with behavior problems. It's sad, but I don't want my kid to regress. My son has a learning disability, it's not behavioral. The teacher had no control over the classroom. There was only one aide to help out. It was a disaster. It takes a special kind of person to teach special ed classes. His last teacher(for 3 years) was a miracle worker. They ought to clone her and use the clones for the teachers. That's how good she is. I felt so sorry for this teacher. Im sure she'd be a great teacher in a regular class setting.
Apparently parents aren't allowed on school grounds, can't cross the yellow lines. I didnt know this. As Im sitting in the classroom observing, the loudspeaker comes on and its the principal saying how parents can't cross the lines blah blah blah. Wow, so meant for me. Can't get your butt out from behind the desk to the classroom to introduce yourself and talk to me, gotta blast it over the loudspeaker of the school? I rolled my eyes.
When I asked if the kids have a half day like last year at the other school the teacher about had a fit. "We do not have half days. This is a blue ribbon school!" and she was all uppity about it. Why have a special day class then at this school? It obviously doesn't mesh with the school.
Sorry had to rant and get this out of my system.

[edit on 6-9-2007 by vckums]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Update- my oldest gets in the car. Hes upset that the PE teacher said that if they messed up while doing pushups everyone would hate them. WTH!! I'd expect it from a public school, but this is a private school with a religious background. A call to the school and the message will be sent to the principal. Im not paying tuition to have my kid told he's going to be hated by everyone cause he's not an athlete.
I get any crap about how thats ok for the teacher to do, Im seriously considering yanking him out of that school. He can get verbal abuse in public school for free LMAO J/K but I will yank him if its gonna be an issue. They can prorate me for 2 days and refund the tuition.
Sigh, and its not even Friday yet.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Wow, that stinks, on both accounts. What's with the hate speech at a religious school? And WTF about parents not being allowed on the other school past the yellow lines? That would scare me badly. I'd wonder what they were hiding.

So far my kid's public school is ok, not great, but not terrible. Just inconvenient, crowded, no parking. I wish I could have kept her in her private school, though. They're learning stuff in her class that she's known for a long time. Like what a triangle is. :shk: And she's having trouble with the writing, because at her old school they start them on cursive letters because it's more natural, and she's having to print now.

On the other hand, she's writing her own name fully for the first time. She never felt she could do it before. So I guess so far I can't complain.

Sorry that you can, on two fronts, no less.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Thanks MM. Still no call and it's 4:25pm here. Not sure how late the private school is open or district office closes. Such a shame they can't return a call promptly.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Ok my sons PE teacher called ( told the school to leave the kids name out of it, sigh). He appologized for using the word hate. He siad it was blazing hot out there,he told them they had to do 20 push ups that some students were pushing it by not doing them right and so he said you all dont want to have to start over cause youre slacking and everyone would hate ya for it. He said it was a bad word choice and appologized. I thanked him for that and for calling. I said I had talked to my son and said it's just 1 class a day. Do PE and then go on to the next class. It's nothing you should take personally, but I understood his feelings were hurt. The teacher said he'd talk to him tomorrow, ugh. I only hope he doesnt do it infront of the class. The boy will freak.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I can remember and it wasnt too long ago that there were brilliant teachers at most schools and they did not push their own beliefs onto the children.

Most teachers these days are so opinionated it stinks.They dont want to communicate with the parents out of fear or ignorance.

They tar all children and adults with the same brush and dont give a damn about individualism.

On average ive noticed that you get one good teacher per school and that is it.(In my area that is).

All the drivel about getting children active is whats wrong there.
Its wrong to push children when their muscles arent fully developed.
It could have caused an injury.
It does hurt some children whilst others can cope with physical activity.

That teacher should have said "Not to worry,why not do step ups instead".

Physical education is getting worse in schools.They are currently teaching my child how to disarm someone with a knife or other weapons.

I dont really want my child getting brave thinking "I can disarm that person" and coming worse off.

That should be a police matter unless they are training future police officers.Either way its scary.

Children should be protected not bullied.

Anyway i wish you luck with getting this teacher a damn good telling off.They should make him/her stand facing the wall for a couple of hours.

edited to add i really should refresh when reading a topic and going off on one.

[edit on 6-9-2007 by tracey ace]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Wow disarming someone!! How old is your child? I'm not sure Id want my kids learning that. Adults, sure, but kids no way.

A friend of mine whos in the military was surprised they wanted the kids to do 20 push ups. She said she has marines who can't do 20. Got me thinking, if a grown adult in the military can't do 20 why do they think a 14 yr old kid should? I'm gonna talk to him about this, and hopefully it will ease his mind a bit. I already said to do the best he can, and that's all you can do.
The teacher also mentioned about doing some presidential fitness program. Apparently it started back in the 80's when Regan was president. I gotta find out more about this.

new topics

top topics

join