It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brutal culture of US dog fighting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Brutal culture of US dog fighting

news.bbc.co.uk

The indictment of star quarterback Michael Vick on dog fighting charges has shone a light on a vicious blood sport that appears to be thriving in the US. Pit bulls can suffer serious injuries or die in the ring. Evidence gathered by animal welfare groups suggests that, despite the fact dog fighting is illegal in all 50 US states, it is both widespread and growing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.hsus.org
getactive.peta.org

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Im sorry, But I find this absolutely disgusting, beyond belief. How can people do this to dogs. Anything to make money. Supposes people will go to any lengths in doing so. Sadly It happens here in the UK as well. Most of which goes unreported. Very sad sad day for people who do things such as this to these animals.

Is there anyway I can post images on here? Tried posting them when I was posting this article couldnt do it. Thanks in advance

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-8-2007 by spencerjohnstone]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Totally sick,and yes there is alot of this in the UK as well.
The sort of people involved in this sort of thing are often into other nasty crimes as well-as an example I met some goons from a rural village in mid wales who I found out were doing badger baiting-And later I found out they were arrested for selling coc aine to kids in the area,and enforcing debts by brutal violence.
Hopefully the new animal protection laws in the US will help to stem this dog fighting.the problem is the people who do it do not want to stop,as they are violent nut jobs.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This is worldwide and is a globally increasing trend. I'm a bit offended that they're picking on the US about this (though I understand why because of the football player being charged). Anyway, the article is a bit lopsided.

And yes it is sickening.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by lightworker12]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I thought I would post some images to show peoples whats going on... This needs to be stopped. If we dont stop this whats next, lettin teenagers do the exact same thing to each other (oh wait this happens already). Sick very sick

Both images are just the tip of the iceberg. Im sorry if Im up in arms about this. This is absolutely sick to the core.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by spencerjohnstone]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
it is pretty disgusting man...i don't see how people can do this....i am listening to the vick stuff now and how he said he killed between 6-8 dogs by hanging and such...

you have to be a low live, vile mofo to do this...
i know people don't have the same attachment to chickens but that is a problem too. they put razor talons on their feet and such...they carve each other up and people bet money..

right about now, vick happens to be number 1 on my list of people i want to read something horrible about....you know...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This post kind of hits home as I have a 5 year old amstaff myself that I got from a rescue group at the age of 8 months. He's an amazing dog and I couldn't ask for a better fit for the household. I also was a foster home for about 2 years (Taking time off as I recently got married) and most of the dogs that I have fostered were of the "Pit Bull" breeds.

I'm quite attached to my dog and am the type of guy who doesn't want to take him out to the stores as much lately because of all the press the breed has gotten. His background before I got him was a good caring family, and has never really had people treat him poorly. I just don't want his feelings hurt, sounds sappy I know, but many people are quick to judge.

Just wanted to share a video that I really like depicting the breed well, good video with good music.. I liked the message of whatever you want this breed to excel at is what they will do best. If you're happy, they're happy kind of approach and I think it sums them up quite well..

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
There's still bullfighting in Spain.... people hunt deer for sport, etc. Dogs aren't the only victims. Though I suppose our emotional attachment to them changes things a bit.

If you had a pig or goat as a pet it might change your perspective on eating them as well.

Btw, in some countries (like China) they eat dogs.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The difference is we don´t breed bulls/deer to attack and maime each other.

I hate bullfighting, it´s deplorable, just like this sick dog fighting. I was an avid hunter for some time, and usually the prey dies a very fast death. (Although sometimes, it isn´t so fast. I have a story to share about that, but that´ll come another time. But it´s what made me quit hunting.)

I´ve seen a home video made from two dogs fighting. It´s sick, it got me so pissed off I can´t even begin to describe the anger and hatred I had towards the people who do such things.

Not only that, it´s not just what the dogs will do to each other, but what the owners of the dogs who lost do to them after they loose.

The owners of the dogs who lost, usually end up killing their dogs slowly. They´ll electricute them with cords cut from lamps, urinate on them before electricuting them, beat them to death, set them on fire, let the other dog continue to rip the dog to shreds etc. (Because a dog that looses is useless, so a new dog needs to be trained to be better...)

I for one believe there is a special place for these sort of people who do this. (Just like there are for pedophiles, rapists and child killers.) But we need to do something to curb this before it gets out of hand.

For one, we need to make the penalty for dog fighting much higher. We need to do something that´ll really make any dog fighter really regret. (Like losing his home, or something important/valuble) Something that´ll make them realize that the fine for doing it outweighs the benefits (if any) of dog fighting.

I say let the dogs have em.

FK

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
what we need to do is smear them in bacon grease and toss em in a pit with 2 hungry fighting dogs and see how good they fare...

hunting is not the same as dog and chicken fights.

people are just insane.

i adopted a basset retriever that wound up at the cleveland apl and he is the best dog i have ever owned in my life....
he is definately my best bud and i cringe to think about something happening to him.

i can understand not liking animals or not wanting them near you but to basically breed them to torture them is pure insanity.
vick is saying he didn't bet on it(i guess cause he is already rich) so in my mind, it kinda makes it worse....he just did it for the hell of it then?
entertain his peeps or what

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
That's the same take I have on the people that commit these crimes, throw the book at them. Otherwise all we end up with are these useless breed specific bans nationwide and the people that are running the illegal rings, will still do their thing.

Make it so the people behind the pawns pay the price for their deeds.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Try as I might, I cannot think of a single reason why people who take part in dogfighting should not be executed. They are the scum of the earth and deserve extremely brutal punishment.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

Absolutely, as I used to be the proud owner of a purebred American Bulldog(commonly used for fighting).He past away earlier this year at a ripe old age.Best dog I ever had. RIP Radar good buddy.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
they are showing on cnn right now that they just raided dmx's house...

they found a bunch of dehydrated dogs and the bodies of 3 dogs that appear to have been abused before they were killed.

looks like he might be getting popped too

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Oh yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards your bacon grease idea......

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Folks-it appears the BBC "panorama" program,airing this Monday and Tuesday evening (27th BBC1, 28th BBC news24) will be an expose of international dog fighting networks,and how they smuggle illegal dogs to various countries to fight.
Not sure but could be that John Sweeney geezer presenting it(he who recently got upset with the scientologists).
Hope some arrests have come out of it.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I guess it's hard for me to understand how people can do something like this.
I have had many dogs and every single one of them was a member of my family and treated as such.
That being said, i'm all for the bacon grease idea

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin
I have had many dogs and every single one of them was a member of my family and treated as such.

I hear you Bro/Sis.

I can relate to that-that is the situation in my house too.

Dogs deserve no less.

Edit,decided to give you a star Anjin !!

[edit on 27-8-2007 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
A Little update:

A investigation carried out by BBC Scotland over a period of 17 months has shown how big the illegal use of dogs fighting against each other is.

A Tyrone GAA star is a major figure in the illegal world of dog fighting, a BBC Spotlight investigation has found.

(Removed the persons name), an all-Ireland medal winner, is a senior figure in a dog fighting operation known as The Bulldog Sanctuary Kennels.

Five of the 15 gangs found to be operating in Northern Ireland are based in Belfast and some of these groups have links to international dog fighting organisations.

I removed the persons name from the external quote, but you can see his name clearly stated in the article. Woner if any arrests will take place now over this. Or will this be swepts under the carpet. Members please be advised, there is a Video clip from the investigation. This is quit disturbing, so watch at your own risk. I was going to post it on here but I think it is innapropiate. Look at it yourself if you wish to do so. The link is below:

SOURCE

These guys are worse than anything I have ever come across. They make me sick to my stomache..

new topics

top topics

join