It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive 'Hole' Found In The Universe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

The universe has a huge hole in it that dwarfs anything else of its kind. The discovery caught astronomers by surprise.

The hole is nearly a billion light-years across. It is not a black hole, which is a small sphere of densely packed matter. Rather, this one is mostly devoid of stars, gas and other normal matter, and it's also strangely empty of the mysterious "dark matter" that permeates the cosmos. Other space voids have been found before, but nothing on this scale.

"What we've found is not normal, based on either observational studies or on computer simulations of the large-scale evolution of the universe," said Williams, also of the University of Minnesota.

SOURCE:
Space.com

This is incredibly interesting to me since it completely goes against all of our
theories on it.

I am extremely curious as to know the processes that formed this exceedingly
ambiguous phenomenon.

Perhaps it's where the big bang started, who knows.

Personally galactic cluster size holes in the Universe bother me.
Anyways, this certainly does give new meaning to the term 'The Void of Space'.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I was just about to post this, Great Job
This is totally amazing and completely blows my mind

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
In the paradigm of Plasma Cosmology, the universe takes on a cellular and filamentary structure on the large scale. In this view, such regions of space that seem devoid of matter are not really that out of the ordinary, and are in fact predicted to some extent. Ill add more later.

edit:

From within the standard gravitationally based paradigm this may seem mind blowing. From within the electromagnetically centered paradigm of plasma, it is expected. Large scale currents that flow between galaxies are shaped by electromagnetic forces. Matter takes on filamentary aligned shapes, and cellular regions of different voltages develop, separated by vast double layers and current sheets (akin to a dielectric or Leidenfrost layer.)

[edit on 23-8-2007 by Ionized]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
What is so striking about the Universe is that it is so dynamic on both ends of the scale.

On the sub-atomic, quantum flux level, matter is so dynamic that, in the words of one physicist, it literally 'boils'; thus 'quantum foam'.

And, on the cosmic level we have countless 'strange' stellar bodies, from dwarfs to binary systems to dual-black holes, quasars and other radiation emitting sources that are apparently so strange that we can't even describe how they happen. Then there's dark matter and dark energy that we've never seen but can only infer. There's such a fine structure out there when by normal logic, something that is exploded would tend to be less complex than the original structure.

It just boggles the mind what kind of state, when exploded, would produce such a panoply of dynamic systems and structures.

The other strange thing is that the Universe is 28 billion light years across, but has only existed for 14 billion years. So if that's true, how can it fill the sky from edge to edge? Maybe we're seeing only a tiny portion of the actual Universe?

Here's a link that discusses that:
www.pbs.org...

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Wow this is amazing, I wonder if it's growing or staying the same...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I don't think the fact that it exists is totally mindblowing it's the actual SIZE that has the scientists and space geeks all in a twitter.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
i agree with the big bang thing

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Well actually this doesn't agree with big bang theory, this is why they're surprised I would say.

As Ionized has already pointed out this is expected in a plasma universe, if astronomers would recognize this they wouldn't be so surprised all the time.
I think it is very exciting, plasma cosmology offers a huge leap in our understanding of how the universe may work, one that is to some extent testable and one that is devoid of unseen imaginary forces like black holes, dark matter, dark energy, strange matter etc..
It's in the realms of understanding for everyone I think, unlike many of the existing theories that are being taught as facts.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This thread is already being discussed here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nice find though, OP.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Link does'nt work.

But if you mean the one in Alt. News, a thread on the same topic can exist as both
a general thread and as a news thread.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
We don't need two threads on the same topic. One is sufficient.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This thread has been discussed for 2 days here..

Gaping hole found in universe

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
We don't need two threads on the same topic. One is sufficient.

That is not for you to decide.

The rules on this are clear.

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
This thread has been discussed for 2 days here..

Gaping hole found in universe

Indeed it has.
Though I will note, this thread was created an hour before that one.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
You can post the same topic as long as one of them is in the Breaking news thread. Both threads can stay.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
DELETED (scratch this i might be getting confused i am in the UK and time is a little different than the U.S times i try to set it in profile but it keeps resseting it self to Moscow time for some reason it always confuses me )

however, good job on your Post i hope people contribute here as much as they already have on mine.. the more opinions and ideas the better!!!

flag and star for you
to show no hard feelings

[edit on 25/8/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
That is not for you to decide.

The rules on this are clear.

Well, I don't exactly see the point, but okay. If that is what the rules say, I will abide.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Well, this thread did exist first, and people posted in it before the other was even made. Perhaps this thread will turn into longer term discussion while the breaking news version becomes no longer breaking news? That is how I interpret the rule allowing both versions anyhow.

Most of the suggestions made by people in the other thread are pretty far out there, it has been an interesting read

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

The universe has a huge hole in it that dwarfs anything else of its kind. The discovery caught astronomers by surprise.

The hole is nearly a billion light-years across. It is not a black hole, which is a small sphere of densely packed matter. Rather, this one is mostly devoid of stars, gas and other normal matter, and it's also strangely empty of the mysterious "dark matter" that permeates the cosmos. Other space voids have been found before, but nothing on this scale.

"What we've found is not normal, based on either observational studies or on computer simulations of the large-scale evolution of the universe," said Williams, also of the University of Minnesota.

SOURCE:
Space.com

This is incredibly interesting to me since it completely goes against all of our
theories on it.

I am extremely curious as to know the processes that formed this exceedingly
ambiguous phenomenon.

Perhaps it's where the big bang started, who knows.

Personally galactic cluster size holes in the Universe bother me.
Anyways, this certainly does give new meaning to the term 'The Void of Space'.

Perhaps it's not a "hole" at all...perhaps just something blocking the "view"

Comments, Opinions? [/quote

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ropaq50
Perhaps it's not a "hole" at all...perhaps just something blocking the "view".

If it were an object there, in which case would make it one of the largest things in
the Universe, it would just be a big black spot.

However this region of space is simply empty, we can see through it to the other side,
via the photons from objects on its other side passing through the area, there's
just nothing there.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by iori_komei

I think more accurate way to describe the area might be that theres nothing that we can register being there from our point of view. Its impossible to say for certain its empty. It might be just full of "stuff" that does not react with photons or emit any radiation or heat like "normal" space. I mean if the radiation, heat and light is being reduced due to that area maybe theres something there that simply absorbs them rather than letting it pass through as it would seem to be the case in "normal" space.

Ofcourse I think its even more interesting to think about the possibilies of the source of the CMB as this area seems to somehow give out less than you would expect. Maybe the true source of the CMB is something completely different than the current assumption, aka 'The Big Bang'. But im sure they manage to tie even this phenomena into the good old Big Bang _theory_ in no time at all.

[edit on 25/8/07 by Gonjo]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join