It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Possible Anouncement Of Life Found On Mars...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by super70

OH MY GOD!!! This is it!!!
I was about to make a post that something big in world history is going to happen tommorw according to the Timewave Zero program, and this has to be it. This will be HUGE, HUGE if this is true!!!! I will have no more doubts about advanced extraterrestrial civilizations if this is true!!!! I'm about to jump out of my chair here!!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Ah, well maybe I shouldn't get too excited then... I was not aware of the teasers the media pushed out in the past. This will still be very interesting to watch as it develops.

And yes, the TimeWave thingee is where I read about the Aug 24th predictions. Dunno how credible it is though... we shall see!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hold on a second folks:

I don't wish to be a wet blanket here but the CNN report linked above quotes Reuters as its source. Now I've just searched Reuters for Mars, Viking, Joop whatever his name is and Giessen and come up with absolutely nothing.

Finally I found a report here...

spaceref.com

...which appears to be a source for the story dating back to January this year. That's not to say it isn't interesting but it looks like old news I'm afraid.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Houtkooper believes Mars could be home to just such "extremophiles" -- in this case, microbes whose cells are filled with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water, providing them with natural anti-freeze...

Houtkooper believes their presence would account for unexplained rises in oxygen and carbon dioxide when NASA's Viking landers incubated Martian soil. He bases his calculation of the biomass of Martian soil on the assumption that these gases were produced during the breakdown of organic material.

So, it seems that this is more of a hypothesis rather than a finding. Still, it sounds like an exciting and plausible theory that definitely deserves to be looked into. I can't wait to hear what they find. Though it does seem like anytime we make a possible discovery of life outside of our planet, the hype just kind of dies down (no pun intended
) and you don't really hear much more about it.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfinguru
IMO, I think the general population will be "Wow. That's cool. So what's on TV tonight?" without much REAL critical thought on the implications.

I agree. I think most of the world is open to the idea of life outside of our atmosphere. Now, whether they're open to the idea of intelligent life is an entirely different story. Regardless, whether people already assume there's life out there, or whether they're just too entrenched in their everyday lives, this (supposing it is verified by the scientific community) will go down with a big "Oh, that's neat." from the public perspective.

Myself, I'm estatic and hope the tests are confimed.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by XFoxMulderX
OH MY GOD!!! This is it!!!
I was about to make a post that something big in world history is going to happen tommorw according to the Timewave Zero program, and this has to be it. This will be HUGE, HUGE if this is true!!!! I will have no more doubts about advanced extraterrestrial civilizations if this is true!!!! I'm about to jump out of my chair here!!!!

So based on possible bacterial life within the Solar System, your certain there is advanced Alien life from light years away visiting us now?

Thats a leap of faith!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'd say yes. There has been no verification of life outside our world yet. If this is confirmed, micro-organism or not, it'll be a grand confirmation for myself.

There would put two planets in our solar system that once supported life. The calculations for life-supporting planets would jump (pardon the pun) astronomically. And given the age of the universe, I'd say there's a good chance of intelligent life exist all around our galaxy - native or not.

EDIT: grammar

[edit on 23-8-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I don't see why this is important, because it is mathematical fact that life exists outside of Earth. The question is, is there INTELLIGENT LIFE?

[edit on 23-8-2007 by 11 11]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

In all fairness... if life is discovered outside of our atmospheric shell, the chances for highly evolved and even intelligent life elsewhere in the universe rises significantly.

As far as we know now, life ONLY exists on Earth. No one has been able to publicly prove otherwise. The discovery of even microbial life away from our planet would change everything.

EDIT: It would seem that great minds do think alike... eh, Tyranny?

[edit on 8/23/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 11 11

It's only a matter of time before "life" turns into "intelligent life." And our universe has had a LOT of time. Given that humankind went from living in mud-brick shelters to walking (supposedly) on the moon with-in 2000 years, 4 billion years seems like a decent amount of time to grow and prosper as a life-form.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Everything on our Earth has come from the outer universe. Everything on Earth collected here over a long period of time. Almost like someone leaving a giant magnet out in space for a few years, only to come back and see many particles stuck to it, and it grew larger. Life, plants, dirt, gold, plastic, oil, ice, water, air, all of it came from the outer universe, it didn't just "appear on Earth", it fell down onto Earth, or was attracted to Earth.

This means these substances we find on Earth could very well be found on many other surfaces. Including life, including intelligent life.

The day we find INTELLIGENT life is the day we have our REAL disclosure.

But like I said, this news will only be important to the people who didn't already know that life exists outside Earth. I for one, already knew that it does.

The only problem though, is life doesn't only exist in the "physical". So we may be looking for ghosts, and never find them.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

Hi there,

...by the way, ATS has multilingual and international members, - me for example

Just for your information, here is the original article in German language:

www.weltderphysik.de...

It is also interesting to mention, they are discussing the fact that test probes equivalent to the Viking could not find any micro organism in a "sample" desert here on earth. That means a lot of probes sent out there are obviously not propper equipped to find life. Because of this circumstances, if Viking detected something - and it did, there is a lot more life hidden there. Not a classic "proof" however very interesting.

That makes me think, did they use crappy instruments on probes because of cover up ?? (I am sure they don't want us to know)

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Oh please, please, please!!!!! This would be amazing! This might even be the news that the world space agencies need to get the ball rolling to put more missions to Mars, and hopefully, manned!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
any chemists here?

the report tells us that the 'organic microbes' might be filled with
hydrogen peroxide...

now that might be of some concern,
if i remember correctly the London Tube bombers
used chemical bombs which used 'hydrogen peroxide' as a vital ingredient
in causing these explosions.

Might clusters of the theoretical Martian microbes form into a mass -
which could potentially turn into a biological 'Martian land-Mine' ?

someone kindly inform us what/how a 'peroxide' life form might react in an enviroment

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Great find! Starred, Flagged, Applauded.

As for what this means to humankind? Perhaps we will stop assuming that life can evolve along different avenues based upon available resources. For all we know, there might be an entire ecosystem based around peroxide over yonder.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
we keep hoping and a wishing of the disclosure of ET's micro life ?
I knew about this already...Phoenix will give more pieces missing for the
puzzle traveling at only 12000 mph. and a year to get there ???

NASA has most of us fooled.

Richard C. Hoagland comments...

The reason it's taking us so long to get back to the moon is because the higher-ups at NASA are aware of artifacts of previous civilizations on the lunar surface (as well as Mars), and they actually have no intention of going there, Hoagland suggested. Further, he said there is evidence for a secret space program, hidden by black budgets, that probably doesn't use rockets. The whole NASA agenda could be a "false front" to distract the public away from what the other program is doing, .

(mod edit: Please do not use "headline" for an entire paragraph. Use the "ex" tag instead. A link to the source would also be a good idea.)

[edit on 8/23/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I would venture to say that any lifeform that lives and thrives is intelligent life.
Only when it decides to build nuclear weapons to destroy itself does it become "unintelligent" life.

The idea that life is exclusive to Earth astounds me. Thousands of diverse lifeforms literally cover every inch of this planet, and even though man has never stepped foot on any of the other zillions upon zillions of planets, he proudly proclaims "we are alone."

What incredible geniuses we are.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by slaveearth

As far out there as Richard C. Hoagland can get, I really appreciate that he's consistent with his theories and speculations. He's always maintains a high degree of scholarship and imagination with his thinking. I really like him for that. No doubt he'll have something to say about this on tonight's C2C news minutes. I wonder what he'll say.

Anyway, like most others so far, I think this is great news. An ET is an ET regardless of brain power in my book, so even the tinniest footprint is of major importance to us planet bound earthlings. Perhaps Drudge is running this old story on a tip that a new report is eminent? I look forward to the developing story. Great post!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11 11
I don't see why this is important, because it is mathematical fact that life exists outside of Earth.

Well, it is highly probable that life exists elsewhere, but certainly isn't a fact. Mankind has never (publicly) seen life other than what lives here in our fish bowl. Mathematical principles have been leveraged to add plausibility to the existence of life elsewhere, but has not proven it.

Don't be a downer! It's always fun when stuff like this hits the news.

The question is, is there INTELLIGENT LIFE?

We know, undeniably, that LIFE EXISTS. We also know, without a doubt, that INTELLIGENT LIFE EXISTS.

But we also know that our perception of "intelligence" is based upon ourselves - MANKIND. We are the ONLY intelligent life form we have ever seen! We assume to know what comprises an intelligent, sentient being - yet we still don't understand our own transient existence or where we came from!

So, with all the theories and math aside... I'd say the real question would be What IS life and WHO are WE? That's a whole 'nother thread though.

Let's just be happy that people are talking about this on the news!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The point I was trying to make is that life is not rare. Intelligence though, that may be a rare curse.

Originally posted by damajikninja
So, with all the theories and math aside... I'd say the real question would be What IS life and WHO are WE? That's a whole 'nother thread though.

I could tell you that answer. Its quite simple. The answer lies in one of my threads.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join